• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
No one would consider UGA a step up over FSU other than a UGA fan. They don't have the success recent or otherwise. It does sound like it's a done deal based on all these reports, but it's a notable step down. No two ways around it. I'm surprised because I'd think FSU would match that offered salary. I know there was a clause in Jimbo's new deal for salary increases for assistants.
Isn't FSU's athletic department in pretty poor condition relative to the other football "powers"? Maybe they COULDN'T match that salary.

More likely they realized that the guy has 3 years of college experience and paying him $800k is INSANE.

andycapps

Guess this reaffirms that FSU doesn't have enough money to compete on the ever growing Assistant Coach Salary Explosion Tour. $500k for a Coordinator sounds smalltime.

Andy: no clue on what the guy runs defensively. Was with Alabama for maybe a year, came from High School, and was with FSU the year. You're getting a Defensive Gus Malzahn, except he didn't have the same "genius reputation" Gus did. Trying to say, he's not stayed at a place long enough, nor had total control to implement what he "really wants", so who knows what he'll do now. FSU's a 4-3, right?

Honestly I'd be okay with going back to a 4-3, don't really care. We have the athletes for either. Not lying, the one thing I was really impressed with in the MNC was that I thought that FSU's defense was really coached in their fundamentals. They were playing hard, and I can appreciate that. I also appreciate how hard Stanford and Michigan State play.

Grantham was pretty terrible at UGA. Instant upgrade for them.

Outside of one year, totally agree. And the last couple have been horrible considering the talent he was working with.

mre, $800k with 3 years of experience is crazy, but many think he's a more sure bet than Kirby because he was out of Saban's shadow. I'm honestly happier with the hire as a coach, but I know that Kirby is an awesome recruiter. Though our offensive coaches are the main recruiters up until now, Grantham was not known as a good recruiter.

And UGA is swimming in money. I'm not sure how much in reserve but at least $50 million.

I didn't realize until now, but he coaches secondary too which was our other opening. So they may change that to a special teams coach, which fans have been begging for for years.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Honestly I'd be okay with going back to a 4-3, don't really care. We have the athletes for either. Not lying, the one thing I was really impressed with in the MNC was that I thought that FSU's defense was really coached in their fundamentals. They were playing hard, and I can appreciate that. I also appreciate how hard Stanford and Michigan State play.

Outside of one year, totally agree. And the last couple have been horrible considering the talent he was working with.

mre, $800k with 3 years of experience is crazy, but many think he's a more sure bet than Kirby because he was out of Saban's shadow. I'm honestly happier with the hire as a coach, but I know that Kirby is an awesome recruiter. Though our offensive coaches are the main recruiters up until now, Grantham was not known as a good recruiter.

He got out of the shadow, by going to a team coming off having the #2 defense the year before. That's pretty much "not getting out of the shadow."

So it still comes back to years of college experience, and he's got 3. Could be a feast or famine hire, but then again, UGA does have talent. They aren't Arkansas/Kentucky.

jakncoke

Banned
Can't sigh too much, with what you guys are doing to Vanderbilt.

It's Sandusky like.

I wish he could of stayed, losing him sucked. But losing him to Ohio St sucks even more. I can see why he left though, he has brought in a lot of talent to Penn St but never moved above DL coach and I think he really really wanted the HC job and felt hurt they went outside the program to hire

Isn't FSU's athletic department in pretty poor condition relative to the other football "powers"? Maybe they COULDN'T match that salary.

More likely they realized that the guy has 3 years of college experience and paying him $800k is INSANE.

Didnt we joke like 2 months about a top program money makers article and 98th was FSU and many were like pretty sure thats Fresno St not Florida St but it turned out it really was Florida St?

andycapps

He got out of the shadow, by going to a team coming off having the #2 defense the year before. That's pretty much "not getting out of the shadow."

So it still comes back to years of college experience, and he's got 3. Could be a feast or famine hire, but then again, UGA does have talent. They aren't Arkansas/Kentucky.
Fair enough on the shadow thing. It's still a fantastic hire and I'm impressed that Richt was able to pull it off. I thought we'd settle for promoting from within or getting a position coach from another program.

@davidpollack47: Jermey Pruitt to UGA being reported now. STAR!!!!! The defense will be back where it's suppose to be in no time. Huge hire!!!!

@MrCFB: In 2012 FSU was minus 6 in turnover margin. Under Jeremy Pruitt in 2013 they were plus 17 with 25 interceptions. Big hire for UGA

So many tweets like this right now.

Lonestar

I wish he could of stayed, losing him sucked. But losing him to Ohio St sucks even more. I can see why he left though, he has brought in a lot of talent to Penn St but never moved above DL coach and I think he really really wanted the HC job and felt hurt they went outside the program to hire

Didnt we joke like 2 months about a top program money makers article and 98th was FSU and many were like pretty sure thats Fresno St not Florida St but it turned out it really was Florida St?

Could be the reason for all the Fresno/Florida State shenanigans in the bowl topic.

Is FSU stuck paying for the Bowden's lifestyles? All 18 of the Bowdens?

Meier

Yeah, you're probably right regarding the second thing. It really would be an insanely high salary for his level of experience. Hard to imagine Mickey Andrews never even made more than like $300k a year.

Out athletics department always makes less revenue then a lot of the other big schools but I think I remember reading ages ago that it was due to some weird way we do accounting. Either way, I think you're spot on although I hope Jimbo's vote was the most important one.

andycapps

I am not sure David Pollack is the best person to quote since he is an idiot and wrong about everything.
You're getting him confused for Jesse Palmer. Lot of Georgia fans hate Pollack because he does the Herbstreit thing of going against your school to make people think you're unbiased, but I think he tries to be open and fair. His kids all wear UGA stuff and he lives in Athens and plays racquetball with Murray and others in the offseason.

Enron

Banned
I like this hire.

Not sure UGA is really a "downgrade" unless championships are your only measure for evaluating employment opportunities. I'm pretty sure UGA has the edge in location (Tallahassee is a hole compared to Athens, and ATL is just an hour away), salary, facilities, etc when compared to FSU. In other words, everything but the winning!
;_;

andycapps

I like this hire.

Not sure UGA is really a "downgrade" unless championships are your only measure for evaluating employment opportunities. I'm pretty sure UGA has the edge in location (Tallahassee is a hole compared to Athens, and ATL is just an hour away), salary, facilities, etc when compared to FSU. In other words, everything but the winning!
;_;

Exactly. I really can't wait to see how much our secondary improves this year. Nowhere to go but up.

Pssh I don't pay for crootin news.

Meier

I actually just signed up for Warchant again yesterday (after years of not being a member) to get the $99 credit to put towards championship gear. Dot was of course completely out of the loop although in his defense, Bud from Tomahawk Nation didn't think much of it either.

In other news, I did find this gif on the Rivals Main Board which is always entertaining.
v5ddma_zps81460d8f.gif

andycapps

I actually just signed up for Warchant again yesterday (after years of not being a member) to get the $99 credit to put towards championship gear. Dot was of course completely out of the loop although in his defense, Bud from Tomahawk Nation didn't think much of it either.

In other news, I did find this gif on the Rivals Main Board which is always entertaining.
v5ddma_zps81460d8f.gif
We know you wanted that shirtless calendar. I bear no I'll will towards FSU, I hope they get a good replacement.

Also, thanks to Petrino for taking Grantham from us. The prognosis for next season got much better.

That gif is awesome.

mre

Humphrey is constantly wearing FSU gear and talking us up on Twitter, but I don't think he'll leave the state. He's Bama bound.
I wouldn't be surprised if he went to FSU, but Pruitt leaving definitely helps us more than losing Nuss hurt us.

mre

Just what you said, I haven't been following his recruitment since UGA hasn't been one of his top 3. I don't have any secret $9.95 information. As far as you know, anyway.
Help me understand. Which part of that quote from Marlon makes you think FSU is his leader, because I do not see it. His comment was three sentences long. Which one helped you reach your conclusion?

Comment 1: "I knew he wouldn't be there long at FSU."

Comment 2: "I told him that I would take that job being that he gets paid so little compared to other defensive coordinators."

Comment 3: "I still like FSU without him."

Help me, Andy.

andycapps

Help me understand. Which part of that quote from Marlon makes you think FSU is his leader, because I do not see it. His comment was three sentences long. Which one helped you reach your conclusion?

Comment 1: "I knew he wouldn't be there long at FSU."

Comment 2: "I told him that I would take that job being that he gets paid so little compared to other defensive coordinators."

Comment 3: "I still like FSU without him."

Help me, Andy.
Comment 3. He said he likes FSU regardless of Pruitt being there or not. That says to me that FSU is still very much in it. But HS kids say a lot of stuff and what he says doesn't mean shit until he signs that LOI.

mre

Comment 3. He said he likes FSU regardless of Pruitt being there or not. That says to me that FSU is still very much in it. But HS kids say a lot of stuff and what he says doesn't mean shit until he signs that LOI.
If you'd said that it sounds like "FSU is still very much in it" originally, I don't think anyone would disagree. How you get to "FSU is definitely his leader" from any of those statements is still beyond me.

andycapps

Pruitt to UGA is official from the school.

ATHENS, Ga. --- Jeremy Pruitt, defensive coordinator at Florida State, has been named defensive coordinator at the University of Georgia according to an announcement Tuesday by UGA head coach Mark Richt.

As defensive coordinator/defensive backs coach at FSU, Pruitt was part of a coaching staff that led the Seminoles to an undefeated season and 2013 BCS National Championship. The FSU defense ended the season ranked first nationally in scoring defense (12.1 ppg), second in team passing efficiency defense (93.77), third in total defense (281.4 ypg), and 18th in rushing defense (124.8 ypg). He was a finalist this year for the Broyles Award which goes annually to the nation's top assistant coach.

"I'm ecstatic," said Richt.

"This is an outstanding professional and personal opportunity," said Pruitt. "I'm looking forward to meeting the current players and getting on the road to visit with recruits."....

Draxal

Looks like Robb Smith is coming back to Rutgers after going to Tampa for one year, Hafley might follow him (Hafley was in the mix for OSU ... which would have been veeery verry verrry bad for Rutgers).

I don't know how to process good news for Rutgers anymore.

Quoting myself because I was wrong. It looks like Robb Smith is going to Arkansas instead.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Charlie Strong apparently starting off his tenure with some tough talk. Interested to know how much of this is true and how much is added/modified through the writers "2nd and 3rd hand" sources.

Strong expectations:

1. Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.
  2. No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.
  3. If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.
  4. No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.
  5. Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.
  6. The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.
  7. There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.
  8. Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.
  9. The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.
  10. Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.
  11. "I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

Karakand

;_;

you forgot rhodes scholars

Lonestar

Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.

They still have those? Thought those were banned, or something.

Charlie Strong apparently starting off his tenure with some tough talk. Interested to know how much of this is true and how much is added/modified through the writers "2nd and 3rd hand" sources.

Sounds good in theory, but yeah some of this may be wishful fan-fiction. For example, fans have long believed certain players on this team milk their minor injuries, so naturally Charlie Strong supposedly addressed that culture has been changed. However, isn't clearing a player up to the medical staff and not the player to begin with?

They can do this?

Its probably not as bad as you think. A lot of players live in West Campus, which is technically off campus. Heck, Dobie dorm is technically an off-campus dorm even though classrooms are literally across the street. I doubt many, if any, players are living miles off campus or anything. And Callaway House just built a new off-campus dorm in West Campus for the athletes. Wonder if this will effect their business.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
They still have those? Thought those were banned, or something.

I don't think it's a problem having a dorm/dining hall that all the athletes are in, I think they just can't limit the dorm/dining hall to ONLY athletes.

They can do this?

The University is already paying for it with a housing allowance anyway. I imagine if they can do it it's just by moving a few buckets around without changing the overall expense they're allowed to give per player.

Lonestar

blaaargh, DeAndrew White to the NFL.

He was starting to really come on, and would have made a nice comfort zone with Cooper for the QB next year.

Now, who knows if he'll even get drafted.

andycapps

Congrats, it's a great hire. Still entirely baffling to me but Jimbo has had good success in hiring his assistants so I'm confident we'll get a good replacement. Lets bring in Narduzzi!

For sure. Sucks for FSU but that is a great opportunity to step into a program (FSU) at the top of the game right now and with a great recruiting class coming back. FWIW, I saw someone retweet Tomahawk Nation earlier who said this wasn't a money thing, I believe FSU offered to match, but he also didn't got along with Jimbo, supposedly.
you forgot rhodes scholars
Oh man, how could he forget all of those! :jnc

Lonestar

Nevermind, Anniston Star is a shit paper with shit sources.

Aaron Suttles ‏@AaronSuttles 2m
Junior DeAndrew White staying for his senior year. RT @Deuce_Dwhite I'm not going to the nfl draft this yearI am staying for my senior year

So, Cooper and White. Sounds like a Mad Men advertising company.

I believe FSU offered to match, but he also didn't got along with Jimbo, supposedly.

SHOCKING

Lonestar

new post, he's staying.

Had been injured for 1 or 2 years, but was always "going to be" a starter. Missed most of 2012, and 2013 was his first full year. With alot of targets, the ball is too spread out for anyone to get great numbers. The top 4 catchers are a total of 13 catches apart (45, 38, 36, 32).

So, it's never going to be about stats, but the dreaded "eye test." But, he definitely looked good when thrown to .

@_DCReeves: All you need to know about this year's NFL class at WR: Jordan Matthews and Jarvis Landry are the 8th and 9th best WR's per NFLDraftScout.

So, I don't think there's a Julio/AJ Green in this class, it's a damn strong class.

Yeah... not a fan.

I think whats going to happen, and Strong has reportedly done this in the past with his injured players, is he's going to give injured players alternative workouts. In the past, a sprained ankle pardoned you from all workouts, but Strong would still make players with an ankle injury to do an extra dose of upper body workouts like bench press, pullups etc. In theory this will keep players from milking injuries.

tokkun

Looks like we signed Arkansas dc as our co-dc.dunno anything about him, but....
SUCK IT FAT FACE BIELEMA

I was not that impressed with Ash when he was in Madison as either a recruiter or a coach, but it's tough to judge since the guy does not seem to stick with the same job for more than 2 years.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah... not a fan.
Agreed. That mindset is what got us into our current predicament with concussions.

I'm thrilled that this is the approach Strong is taking.

Gundy is definitely not like that, so I think it creates potential inroads to some of these recruits as soon as horror stories start to leak out.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
new post, he's staying.

Had been injured for 1 or 2 years, but was always "going to be" a starter. Missed most of 2012, and 2013 was his first full year. With alot of targets, the ball is too spread out for anyone to get great numbers. The top 4 catchers are a total of 13 catches apart (45, 38, 36, 32).

So, it's never going to be about stats, but the dreaded "eye test." But, he definitely looked good when thrown to .

So, I don't think there's a Julio/AJ Green in this class, it's a damn strong class.

Isn't Kelvin Benjamin a pretty big analog to Julio? Julio had hands issues too didn't he?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think whats going to happen, and Strong has reportedly done this in the past with his injured players, is he's going to give injured players alternative workouts. In the past, a sprained ankle pardoned you from all workouts, but Strong would still make players with an ankle injury to do an extra dose of upper body workouts like bench press, pullups etc. In theory this will keep players from milking injuries.

Texas needs to keep up with Bama and get an antigravity treadmill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom