• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Must really not like Kiffin. There's a massive QB Competition coming up, with no obvious favorites. He could be the starting QB on a top 10 level talent team.

Oh wells.

Andy, GT and UGA, while in the same state, aren't part of the same "system". Alabama and Auburn isn't, and Texas and A&M aren't either.

I don't think it has anything to do with Kiffin. I think he wants a scholarship, and his leaving is a positive sign that we're getting Coker from FSU with what probably would have been Del Rio's scholly.

andycapps

Must really not like Kiffin. There's a massive QB Competition coming up, with no obvious favorites. He could be the starting QB on a top 10 level talent team.

Oh wells.

Andy, GT and UGA, while in the same state, aren't part of the same "system". Alabama and Auburn isn't, and Texas and A&M aren't either.

Maybe the terms are being mixed. Are you talking about different campuses for the same university, or state systems like what Cal has which include multiple universities?

The University System of Georgia (USG) is the organizational body that includes 31 public institutions of higher learning in the U.S. state of Georgia. The System is governed by the Georgia Board of Regents. It sets goals and dictates general policy to educational institutions as well as administering Public Library Service of the state which includes 58 public library systems. The USG also dispenses public funds (allocated by the state's legislature) to the institutions but not the lottery-funded HOPE Scholarship. The USG is the fourth largest university system in the United States by total student enrollment, with 318,027 students in 31 public institutions. The three larger systems are the University System of Ohio, State University of New York, and California State University. USG institutions are divided into four categories depending on their mission statements. The categories include research universities, state universities, state colleges and regional universities.

KingGondo

Banned
Luke Del Rio ‏@Ldelrio12 6m
I had an incredible year at Bama, it's sad to say that it will be my last,I'm excited for the next chapter of my life and what it will bring
We could still really, really use him in Stillwater, even if it's the year after next.

Unfortunately that ship has probably sailed.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Pruitt made reference to becoming "simpler" in the playcalling on D. Shot across the bow to Grantham, probably. Also fits in with the fact that everyone's going to HUNH.

From 2009 to 2013 Tech had a new defensive coordinator every single year and I believe that every single one of them came in saying that the defense would be more simple than it was under the previous regime. It's just good marketing to say things like "we want them to focus on being athletes and making plays instead of making a bunch of reads."

We could still really, really use him in Stillwater, even if it's the year after next.

Unfortunately that ship has probably sailed.

Could definitely use a quality transfer at Tech as well to add some good depth without taking up a recruiting class spot, though I doubt he'd necessarily want to switch to a school that already has "The Man" for the next 3 years in Davis Webb (if not two years of Brewer and just one for Webb). We did pick up a couple of walk-ons for the Spring (one from a JUCO) so now we at least have enough guys to run a skeleton drill without needing coaches to throw some passes, but Michael Brewer graduates in May so if he's beat out again by Webb in Spring practice he could transfer out and have 2 to play 2 wherever he goes. That would leave us with just a true sophomore and a true freshman as scholarship QBs in the Fall.

It's weird to be so confident with either of two guys as the starter but at the same time be so terrified with the depth situation. I'm not even sure that the non-JUCO QB transfer was even playing football anywhere last season so you can't really count on either of those guys to be game contributors at this point, and while the staff is REALLY happy with our 2014 recruit (the one and only QB they offered all recruiting season) he's apparently a bit of a project so he likely won't be ready to go this season either.

From 2009 to 2013 Tech had a new defensive coordinator every single year and I believe that every single one of them came in saying that the defense would be more simple than it was under the previous regime. It's just good marketing to say things like "we want them to focus on being athletes and making plays instead of making a bunch of reads."

Could definitely use a quality transfer at Tech as well to add some good depth without taking up a recruiting class spot, though I doubt he'd necessarily want to switch to a school that already has "The Man" for the next 3 years in Davis Webb (if not two years of Brewer and just one for Webb). We did pick up a couple of walk-ons for the Spring (one from a JUCO) so now we at least have enough guys to run a skeleton drill without needing coaches to throw some passes, but Michael Brewer graduates in May so if he's beat out again by Webb in Spring practice he could transfer out and have 2 to play 2 wherever he goes. That would leave us with just a true sophomore and a true freshman as scholarship QBs in the Fall.

It's weird to be so confident with either of two guys as the starter but at the same time be so terrified with the depth situation. I'm not even sure that the non-JUCO QB transfer was even playing football anywhere last season so you can't really count on either of those guys to be game contributors at this point, and while the staff is REALLY happy with our 2014 recruit (the one and only QB they offered all recruiting season) he's apparently a bit of a project so he likely won't be ready to go this season either.

Yeah you guys have Sheffield and Potts 2.0 it seems. Both are good system QB's that can get the job done. Only downside is the inevitable QB controversy when one has a poor game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah you guys have Sheffield and Potts 2.0 it seems. Both are good system QB's that can get the job done. Only downside is the inevitable QB controversy when one has a poor game.

Neither Sheffield or Potts ever really felt like transfer possibilities, though, and they had Doege as a RS FR and RS SO who we liked behind them during the two competition years. Brewer could literally be on another team and eligible to play in June, and behind Webb we would have one (True FR) scholarship player among 3 guys that have been on campus less than a year.

Maybe Brewer wins the job, maybe he doesn't but decides he doesn't want to transfer anyway, who knows, but while we LOVE our two possible starters the QB position overall has the potential to be really ugly come June and Webb's current physical build doesn't instill a ton of confidence in his ability to take a few big hits.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Luke's sister's transferring out in the near future too. The Del Rio's are getting out of the Alabama business.

Draxal

SEC gaf,

Opinions on Mullen? Doing a decent job in an impossible division to win or completely underwhelming?

Rumors that he would have been the Rutgers head coach in 2014 if MSU lost the egg bowl and fired him

andycapps

SEC gaf,

Opinions on Mullen? Doing a decent job in an impossible division to win or completely underwhelming?

Rumors that he would have been the Rutgers head coach in 2014 if MSU lost the egg bowl and fired him

It's not an impossible division, but it is if you're Mississippi State. He's done okay, he's beaten some of the bottom dwellers and even some programs that are/were down, but he never beat any ranked teams, from what I can see. I'd put him a bit below Franklin in his time at Vandy, though Franklin benefited some from some stumbling by the traditional East powers. Mullen has beaten the teams he should beat and lost all the games he should lose. I'm not sure if that's decent or underwhelming but I guess it depends on your expectations.

Lonestar

Mullens has played Alabama tough, but the closest they've been is this year's 13 points (and that was helped by Alabama's 2nd sloppiest game, after Oklahoma, with 4 turnovers). 10 points from LSU and 4 points from Auburn this year. Best win might be 2010 over Florida, who might have been ranked at the time.

Draxal

Mullens has played Alabama tough, but the closest they've been is this year's 13 points (and that was helped by Alabama's 2nd sloppiest game, after Oklahoma, with 4 turnovers). 10 points from LSU and 4 points from Auburn this year. Best win might be 2010 over Florida, who might have been ranked at the time.

Thanks gents, while obviously not top tier, sounds like he would have been a huge upgrade over Flood.

Spurrier is supposedly getting a raise to 4 million now.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Something like $3.3 Billion in endowments, way over the rest of the SEC, minus A&M's cheating accounting, which counts everything in it's system of universities, putting it at $7.6 Billion.

Texas' Endowment is larger than the Entire SECs.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well, after all that talk about our QB depth earlier today, news just broke that Michael Brewer is indeed going to transfer after the Spring semester, and he will not be going through Spring practice.

That means we'll have 4 QBs on the roster for the Spring, I believe; Webb, the walkon Juco transfer who just got to campus this week, the walkon guy who I don't think played football at all last fall, and another walkon QB that's been around for a year or two but who was moved to LB during the 2013 season IIRC and may not even be at QB in the Spring.

This will make the fifith QB transfer Tech has had in the last three offseasons; Jacob Karam and Scotty Young left before the 2012 season, and now Baker Mayfield, Clayton Nicholas, and Michael Brewer have left before the 2014 season. Michael Brewer was good enough early on to make the first two leave, and now Davis Webb has been good enough early on to make the last three leave.

::edit::
Former A&M QB Matt Davis would be an intriguing addition for us. He's at a JUCO right now (been there since before the 2013 season), but it is thought that since he was a full qualifier out of high school he can leave there after just one year, meaning he could be in Lubbock ready to play by the 2014 season, plus Kingsbury coached him at A&M.

Lonestar

Greg Brown stepping down :partyusa

Kevin Steele back on the field, to probably do ILB's or OLB's, and Smart back to DB's (and obviously DC)

2008, all over again.

Draxal

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...oy-Vanderbilt-recruiting-class?nclick_check=1

On Saturday morning, Vanderbilt had 20 commitments and a 2014 football recruiting class that was ranked in the top 25 in the country.

By Sunday night, a day after coach James Franklin left for Penn State, the Commodores had what one recruiting site called three solid commitments.

Two Vanderbilt commitments now say they are going to Penn State, and Franklin has offered scholarships to at least six others.

“I’ve never seen it in this volume, quite this fast, of someone trying to pillage their own commitment class for their new job,” said Jesse Johnson of Rivals recruiting site VandySports.com.

I think it's up to three so far as this article is a couple of days old. Penn State pretty much had a full class before this happened with only one decommit (Holley to Florida). Good chance Franklin will not honor some current PSU commitments.

andycapps

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...oy-Vanderbilt-recruiting-class?nclick_check=1

I think it's up to three so far as this article is a couple of days old. Penn State pretty much had a full class before this happened with only one decommit (Holley to Florida). Good chance Franklin will not honor some current PSU commitments.

That's pretty scummy. I'm wondering how long it'll be before Vandy folks hate him, or if they will. He brought them up a level, but this is going to hurt them badly.

Lonestar

Today sounds like a good day.
Now, looks like no UGA visit for Christian Miller. That sounds relieving, as it looked for awhile, like he might flip to UGA.

I have no problems with coaches trying to get recruits from old schools. Hell half the time kids go to a certain school because of the coach alone. Whos to say they didnt call him after he went to PSU and said "I wanna join you"

andycapps

Today sounds like a good day.
Now, looks like no UGA visit for Christian Miller. That sounds relieving, as it looked for awhile, like he might flip to UGA.

He canceled his visit for the 24th? Last I saw, he's still trying to decide if he's going to or not.

Linebacker Christian Miller of Columbia, S.C., who committed to Alabama and is still deciding whether to take an official visit to UGA: “It’s a great hire for UGA. He should fit perfect.” When asked how it would affect his consideration of UGA, Miller replied, “It won’t.”

Schmitty

I have no problems with coaches trying to get recruits from old schools. Hell half the time kids go to a certain school because of the coach alone. Whos to say they didnt call him after he went to PSU and said "I wanna join you"

Agreed. He said the same thing on the Dan Patrick Show. He built relationships with the recruits and their families, not the school administrators.

Draxal

It's a courtesy thing, as any stepping stone programs is going to be very hesitant to employ anybody from his staff in fear of a potential repeat of what just happened to Vanderbilt. There's a very good chance Vanderbilt can't recover from this for a couple of years.

It's a courtesy thing, as any stepping stone programs is going to be very hesitant to employ anybody from his staff in fear of a potential repeat of what just happened to Vanderbilt. There's a very good chance Vanderbilt can't recover from this for a couple of years.

Sucks to be them I guess. Strive for worst coaches? Or just accept that their a middle tier program and when they get a good coach theyll have some ups and downs.

Welcome to college sports.

I also hate the idea of telling an 18-year-old kid that it's somehow bad or dishonorable to change your mind about what school you're going to attend.

Draxal

I also hate the idea of telling an 18-year-old kid that it's somehow bad or dishonorable to change your mind about what school you're going to attend.

Oh, I'm fine with kids opening up their commitments after a coaching change or anything really, you also have to realize that this he is going to have revoke a good number of scholarships at PSU as well which is also pretty scummy.

andycapps

Let's not kid ourselves, he's calling kids and getting them to switch. I doubt all these kids are initiating these conversations and all having a change of heart of changing from the AWESOME education at Vandy to settling for less at Penn State.

Draxal

Sucks to be them I guess. Strive for worst coaches? Or just accept that their a middle tier program and when they get a good coach theyll have some ups and downs.

Welcome to college sports.

Good administrators will always push for their subordinates to get better positions elsewhere, doing so they attract better subordinates and its why guys like Barry Alvarez are respected. He's rather shortsighted on what he's doing as PSU pretty much had a full class already.

jakncoke

Banned
If you are a 2 star recruit or lower and lose out to a better recruit from a new staff. That sucks. It really does, but guess what. The only reason you had that chance at Penn St is because of our situation, otherwise they'd be going to some low level school. So really I dont feel bad for them. suck less.

Recruits following coaches, whatever.

But I certainly do not like new coaches running off recruits and especially enrolled players. Work with what you have, and build upon it. Those players aren't professional, they shouldn't be "fired."

Draxal

This is also a guy who said.

...It was less than two years ago that Franklin stood before a signing-day crowd supporters at Vanderbilt’s Student Life Center and said players who decommitted from his program were not “men of honor” and “men of integrity.” ...

I mean I still think Franklin is a good hire, but I don't think he should have done this.

But I certainly do not like new coaches running off recruits and especially enrolled players. Work with what you have, and build upon it. Those players aren't professional, they shouldn't be "fired."

He's not going to run off any enrolled players.

jakncoke

Banned

This class is going to start to define where Penn St will stand in the Big 10 post bowl ban. These kids will be Juniors in our first post bowl ban year. Most will be starting or having a decent amount of playing time. A 2 star or less prospect isnt likely to help our program in the future. If we have a chance to get a better recruiting class to build a brighter future, Im all for it.

Draxal

Well, I hope not, and I'm not saying he would. It's always kind of irked me that Calipari went to Kentucky and ran off half the team so he could bring in his own recruits. Not a fan of that, and the existing players deserved better.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I implied that he was going to run off enrolled players.

edit. Actually, I'm reading now that there's a good chance that he will honor all commits, as they have 5 ee's and are expecting transfers.

jakncoke

Banned
Well, I hope not, and I'm not saying he would. It's always kind of irked me that Calipari went to Kentucky and ran off half the team so he could bring in his own recruits. Not a fan of that, and the existing players deserved better.

I believe the numbers for this class was 20 before he was hired. If he cuts out 6-8 low end recruits and brings in better guys or guys he thinks are better. How is this a problem? Other than grasping at straws and hating on Penn St for a incident unrelated to this. Do people think this is the first time this ever happened ? :me

- Seattle Times: UW to pay Tosh Lupoi $300,000 as part of mutual separation agreement
Former Washington assistant coach Tosh Lupoi, under investigation by the NCAA for allegedly paying for a recruit’s tutoring last year, has agreed to a mutual separation with UW that will pay him $300,000 to leave the athletic department.

Lupoi was not retained as part of new coach Chris Petersen‘s Washington staff. Instead, UW announced on Dec. 30 that Lupoi had been “reassigned” within the department.

Had UW fired Lupoi “without cause,” the school would have owed him $350,000 under terms of his contract. UW would have had to pay Lupoi $700,000 if it had fired him without cause before Jan. 13.

Lupoi, a former player and assistant coach at California, joined Steve Sarkisian‘s UW staff as defensive line coach in January 2012, arriving with a reputation as one of the Pac-12’s top recruiters. His salary of $350,000 last year made him one of the conference’s 10 highest-paid assistant coaches.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Is there a Penn St fan in here advocating for throwing college players under a bus who came to your program in it's darkest hour because they aren't good enough to help you win?

Wow.

Priorities much?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is there a Penn St fan in here advocating for throwing college players under a bus who came to your program in it's darkest hour because they aren't good enough to help you win?

Wow.

Priorities much?

Start everybody regardless of skill level! Everybody makes the team! Hooray!

jakncoke

Banned

Wow.

Priorities much?

Do you really think they came here was a favor to us in our darkest hour? Dont kid yourself. They came here because we were the only major program to have a scholarship and possibly playing time early or ever for them lol. They were looking out for self interest, just like what we are about to do with bringing in Franklins recruits and just like what Thomas Holley did by jumping ship . Lets not pretend college sports is some fairy land ha

The University of Texas at Austin said:
Texas Football head coach Charlie Strong completes new coaching staff: Vance Bedford, Defensive Coordinator/Secondary Coach Bruce Chambers, Tight Ends Coach Brian Jean-Mary, Linebackers Coach/Recruiting Coordinator Les Koenning, Wide Receivers Coach Pat Moorer, Strength & Conditioning Head Coach for Football Tommie Robinson, Running Backs Coach Chris Rumph, Assistant Head Coach for Defense/Defensive Line Coach Chris Vaughn, Defensive Backs Coach/Special Teams Coordinator Shawn Watson, Assistant Head Coach for Offense/Quarterbacks Coach Joe Wickline, Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach Read more: http://www.texassports.com/news/2014/1/15/FB_0115140254.aspx Hook 'em, Horns! ‪#‎longhorns‬

So coach Read More is our new offensive coordinator. is he any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom