• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Isn't Kelvin Benjamin a pretty big analog to Julio? Julio had hands issues too didn't he?
Julio's hands were average when he was healthy. However, when he had a broken bone in his hands or some other injury to his hands, they were phenomenal.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Julio's a little bit smaller, but no chance is Benjamin as strong. Julio's superhuman there. He's also not as fast, unless Benjamin gains 0.2+ seconds on his 40. Route running is up in the air, as I don't remember Julio being outstanding at route running (wasn't asked to with JPW and McElroy as his QB's).

Charlie Strong apparently starting off his tenure with some tough talk. Interested to know how much of this is true and how much is added/modified through the writers "2nd and 3rd hand" sources.

Wowzer Texas gets more than twice the rules than Louisville

BM-pbLkCIAA28gK.jpg:large

jakncoke

Banned
I was reading an article where we can take 1 more, I wonder if Franklin would back out of an Obrien guy or 2 to bring in someone he had for Vandy

impirius

I like how they start with a value, follow up with a conditional value in awkward typeset, then just say FUCK THIS G.D. THESAURUS and write simple prohibitions for 3 through 5.
At least change the first one to BE HONEST.

That sign is killing me just a little bit.

If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.

hahahaha

ag-my001

4 times as many people watched ESPN2's title talk vs ESPN News' thing with the coaches.

Guess people prefer ex players to current coaches.
On my cable ESPNEWS isn't with the two main channels. I'm not shocked by the end result, but this may have affected the final numbers.

andycapps

4 times as many people watched ESPN2's title talk vs ESPN News' thing with the coaches.

Guess people prefer ex players to current coaches.

ESPN2's feed was more entertaining, but if you're more than a casual fan, the ESPN News feed was fascinating. For somebody like me that constantly complains about most sports commentators just describing what's happening on your screen (which is irrelevant if you have eyes), it was what I'd love every commentary to be like. Premier League commentating is light years beyond most American sports commentary.

Lonestar

Yeah, on the TV I was watching the game on, it was the "basic" cable setup, where only ESPN and ESPN2 are available. Didn't see it (ESPN News) on the ESPN360 app, either.

SEC Staff salaries:
1. LSU $4.57 million
2. Alabama $4.46 million
3. Auburn $3.5 million
4. Texas A$M $3.39 million
5. Georgia $3.29 million
6. Arkansas $3.23 million
7. Florida $3.21 million
8. Tennessee $3.17 million
9. South Carolina $2.74 million
10. Missouri $2.64 million
11. Ole Miss $2.43 million
12. Kentucky $2.42 million
13. Mississippi State $2.17 million
14. Vanderbilt N/A*

South Carolina's getting a bump to about 3.3 million, to jump ahead of Georgia.
Vandy is a dirty private school, and doesn't want you to know what they're doing.

I was over at a friend's house, so we were just watching the regular broadcast. I'd love to see a replay of the coaches' version though.

jjasper

Those salaries are pretty much going to mimic the standings for at least the next few years give or take a few spots (and the huge Arkansas outlier). Amazing who would have thunk it? Surely not the Tennessee administration.

andycapps

Yeah, on the TV I was watching the game on, it was the "basic" cable setup, where only ESPN and ESPN2 are available. Didn't see it (ESPN News) on the ESPN360 app, either.

SEC Staff salaries:
1. LSU $4.57 million
2. Alabama $4.46 million
3. Auburn $3.5 million
4. Texas A$M $3.39 million
5. Georgia $3.29 million
6. Arkansas $3.23 million
7. Florida $3.21 million
8. Tennessee $3.17 million
9. South Carolina $2.74 million
10. Missouri $2.64 million
11. Ole Miss $2.43 million
12. Kentucky $2.42 million
13. Mississippi State $2.17 million
14. Vanderbilt N/A*

South Carolina's getting a bump to about 3.3 million, to jump ahead of Georgia.
Vandy is a dirty private school, and doesn't want you to know what they're doing.

I'm guessing even if we knew Vandy's spending, it would be around 14. I think Bobo is going to be getting a big raise this offseason, he's at $575k base salary now. I'd guess they'll bump him up over $800k.

jjasper

I'm guessing even if we knew Vandy's spending, it would be around 14. I think Bobo is going to be getting a big raise this offseason, he's at $575k base salary now. I'd guess they'll bump him up over $800k.

Vandy was rumored to be paying around 3+ for Franklin (people that know about both UT and Vandy said he was getting more than Butch) and was ready to go up to 5.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Vandy was rumored to be paying around 3+ for Franklin (people that know about both UT and Vandy said he was getting more than Butch) and was ready to go up to 5.

I can't imagine that that the staff was paid a bundle, despite what Franklin made. Especially with the lackadaisical attitude the AD there is taking towards hiring their next head coach, which may not be done until after signing day at this rate.

Lonestar

BTW, those numbers are just the staff salaries, with HC salaries taken out.

Basically, the upper echelon teams are paying $10 million a year for their coaching staffs.

andycapps

These are just staff, and if they were paying $3 million for Franklin, wow. He's promising, but he wasn't that good there.

Man, Mack Brown was really putting the screws to Texas. Almost $6 million for that? :JNC :JNC :JNC There are a lot of overpaid coaches in the top 10.

Draxal

I can't imagine that that the staff was paid a bundle, despite what Franklin made. Especially with the lackadaisical attitude the AD there is taking towards hiring their next head coach, which may not be done until after signing day at this rate.

They have a super donor like Boone

These are just staff, and if they were paying $3 million for Franklin, wow. He's promising, but he wasn't that good there.

It's still Vanderbilt, I know you and Florida tried to out do each other in the SEC ACL Bowl, and Tennessee was still a couple of years from reaching normality, but its still very hard for Vandy to compete with you guys.

andycapps

They have a super donor like Boone

It's still Vanderbilt, I know you and Florida tried to out do each other in the SEC ACL Bowl, and Tennessee was still a couple of years from reaching normality, but its still very hard for Vandy to compete with you guys.

And they're going to have to pay someone a lot of money to try to replace Franklin and keep that level of success up. Tennessee is paying Butch Jones almost $5 million a year. Butch Jones.. Bret Bielema at Arky, over $5 million per year. Brady Hoke, Kirk Ferentz, etc.

Unfortunately for Vandy fans (if any exist on here aside from Skiptastic), they're probably on their way right back to the cellar of the SEC.

jjasper

Yeah that is probably true. I think people just forget sometimes that Vandy is the richest SEC school and can throw money around if they so choose.

Lonestar

Yeah, the wrong coaches are getting those huge contracts.

I had wondered "why Bret left Wincy" when that was a cushy job. Has a nice system in place to compete in a lackluster league. Could just skate by and get Rose Bowl bids 2 out of every 5 years, maybe more. Then I see Arky gave him Saban money. #Karma indeed.

Butch has Tennessee slightly righted, but that shouldn't take Saban money.

Iowa has long been crazy with Ferentz's money. I've never understood this. Was it out of fear that the NFL would go after him???

Bob Stoops has to be happy Alabama shat the bed in the Sugar Bowl, cause it helps validate paying that salary, after years of "oh yeah, Oklahoma still plays football."

Draxal

Kirk Herbstreit

Crazy how lame the B1G atmospheres can be in football and how wild it can be for hoops. B1G has become a basketball conference!!

The ESPN vs B1G war has just begun!

How much money do they have? I know they don't put much into athletics.

They're rich rich, however they're private so they don't have to release the information.

Lonestar

How much money do they have? I know they don't put much into athletics.

Something like $3.3 Billion in endowments, way over the rest of the SEC, minus A&M's cheating accounting, which counts everything in it's system of universities, putting it at $7.6 Billion.

andycapps

Something like $3.3 Billion in endowments, way over the rest of the SEC, minus A&M's cheating accounting, which counts everything in it's system of universities, putting it at $7.6 Billion.

Holy shit.

They didn't until they discovered that football success leads to increased donating even at a school like Vandy. They have put a lot into the football team recently.

Right, I know they've done some facilities upgrades there. I'm curious who they'll get to replace Franklin.

Pruitt interview is going on right now. Seems a big part of the reason why he came is that Will Friend is the OL coach, they were roommates at Bama. They're best friends, also sounds like Athens is a better city for his family, likes Richt, likes the atmosphere there, competition in SEC, etc.

Lonestar

Pruitt's intro is on now. Only thing I've seen on twitter is confirming that UGA is staying 3-4.

Also, more sigh's incoming from PSU:

@RivalsSnyder: I'm being told Thomas Holley has flipped his commitment from #PennState to #Florida
5 star DT

Andy: I think Florida and Missouri are the next closest, with just over $1 Billion. Rest of us are in Poor Town, under $1 Billion. I think Alabama's between $700 and $900 Million.

Draxal

Holy shit.

Right, I know they've done some facilities upgrades there. I'm curious who they'll get to replace Franklin.

There is a reason it's called the Harvard of the South, still nothing against the real Harvard which is up to 32.7 billion.

edit.

I thought Holley was MCU lock with the LJ move.

Kirk Herbstreit

Crazy how lame the B1G atmospheres can be in football and how wild it can be for hoops. B1G has become a basketball conference!!

The ESPN vs B1G war has just begun!

They're rich rich, however they're private so they don't have to release the information.

Becuase B1G teams spend money on coaches in bball. Top to bottom probably has the best conference of bball coaches. While on the other side the Football teams wont pay shit for coaches/staff.

Draxal

Becuase B1G teams spend money on coaches in bball. Top to bottom probably has the best conference of bball coaches. While on the other side the Football teams wont pay shit for coaches/staff.

They pay for (the wrong head coaches) not the staff.

Mind you Rutgers is dead broke right now with the AAC withholding the money from Rutgers for this year, so we're BINO

Also BIG schools support many more sports in general than the other colleges, and supposedly basketball facitilites have been the biggest beneficiary of the BTN.

andycapps

Pruitt's intro is on now. Only thing I've seen on twitter is confirming that UGA is staying 3-4.

Also, more sigh's incoming from PSU:

5 star DT

Andy: I think Florida and Missouri are the next closest, with just over $1 Billion. Rest of us are in Poor Town, under $1 Billion. I think Alabama's between $700 and $900 Million.

UGA is $746 million, apparently.

Yeah, UGA is staying in a 3-4, officially. Hardly anyone stays in that base 3-4 with all the spread in the league now.

Lonestar

Yeah, UGA is staying in a 3-4, officially. Hardly anyone stays in that base 3-4 with all the spread in the league now.

I know we don't. Variations of 4-2-5 or 3-3-5.

Pruitt made reference to becoming "simpler" in the playcalling on D. Shot across the bow to Grantham, probably. Also fits in with the fact that everyone's going to HUNH.

Also, looking further in, I guess Alabama (or it's system of 2-3 schools) is like $998 Million, but the Tuscaloosa University is north of $600 Mill.

Draxal

Michigan's at 8.8, by far the biggest of the big publics. Cal Berk is at 3.3.

Stanford has the biggest of the football playing schools at 18.7

Luke Del Rio ‏@Ldelrio12 6m
I had an incredible year at Bama, it's sad to say that it will be my last,I'm excited for the next chapter of my life and what it will bring

andycapps

I know we don't. Variations of 4-2-5 or 3-3-5.

Pruitt made reference to becoming "simpler" in the playcalling on D. Shot across the bow to Grantham, probably. Also fits in with the fact that everyone's going to HUNH.

Also, looking further in, I guess Alabama (or it's system of 2-3 schools) is like $998 Million, but the Tuscaloosa University is north of $600 Mill.

Probably. I think that Richt has probably been frustrated behind the scenes with a lack of adapting to the athletes Grantham has and what wasn't working. But publicly, Richt supported him. Simplifying the defense is music to my ears. So many players and even guys that just graduated love the hire and they're ready to go. Seems like there was some pent up frustration with players with Grantham. One even implied that now finally the best athletes will get to play (implied that quite a few were in Grantham's doghouse).

If we're talking the total system of universities, UGA is in the University System of Georgia which includes GA Tech, Georgia State, etc and the endowment then goes up to 2.5 billion.

Lonestar

Must really not like Kiffin. There's a massive QB Competition coming up, with no obvious favorites. He could be the starting QB on a top 10 level talent team.

Oh wells.

Andy, GT and UGA, while in the same state, aren't part of the same "system". Alabama and Auburn isn't, and Texas and A&M aren't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom