• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 11: the SEC may have a baby dick, but everyone else still has penis envy

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week's playoff ranking will be interesting because, as of yet, who beats you and how many losses you have have mattered to the committee a ton, it would seem. If Auburn comes in at 8 from the playoff committee, I will eat my hat.

Btw, I will preemptively apologize to ksharp whether I am right or wrong. my qualms with his posts were less about Auburn and more about how ridiculous his opinions on other teams were. For example saying that Auburn and Ole Miss had a better quality win resume than a TCU for example. Also saying that tOSU had been irrelevant for a long time, despite being consistently top 10 for the past 3 years, going undefeated in regular season in back to back years, etc.

The SEC homerism got to me, and affected my replies, and for that, I apologize.

This encapsulated my feelings about tOSU before yesterday's game.

Meyer is now 21-0 during the Big Ten regular season, yet nearly three full seasons into his tenure in Columbus he still lacked a signature win, which says plenty about the caliber of most of those league opponents.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/urban-...longs-after-michigan-state-win-074540957.html

OH MY GAWD U SO FUCKIN SMART

Did you run out of things to say?

Piggus

If MSU loses to Bama, will they still be in the top 4?
Should they still be in the top 4?

Probably if they win the SEC championship. If Bama is their only loss then yes they should probably be in imo.

Dream scenario: they lose to Bama and have an additional loss, and Bama loses to Auburn, thus likely locking out the SEC from the playoff. :) The SEC is running out of 1-loss teams and I highly doubt the committee will choose a 2-loss team for the top 4 regardless of conference.

Probably if they win the SEC championship. If Bama is their only loss then yes they should probably be in imo.

Dream scenario: they lose to Bama and have an additional loss, and Bama loses to Auburn, thus likely locking out the SEC from the playoff. :) The SEC is running out of 1-loss teams and I highly doubt the committee will choose a 2-loss team for the top 4 regardless of conference.

Well if MSU loses to Bama and Bama beats Auburn, then Bama goes to the SEC-CG while MSU stays at home with an 11-1 record putting them on equal terms with possibly an 11-1 Baylor and 11-1 TCU team since they don't play a CCG.

Assuming Bama wins the CCG, as does FSU and Oregon....then which other 11-1 team gets the final playoff spot nod? Or will 12-1 tOSU take it?

If MSU loses to Bama, will they still be in the top 4?
Should they still be in the top 4?

They'll drop out for 2 weeks, beat Ole Miss, get back in, finishing the regular season at 11-1. Alabama, if they beat Auburn, would go to the CCG and beat Georgia and finish 12-1 and the top 4 would end up being 1 Florida State, 2 Alabama, 3 Oregon, 4 Mississippi State.

The Big Ten and Big XII split away from NCAA, form their own division with Maurice Clarett as commissioner and stage their own championship game.

I could watch this forever.

jppxs8muqnpbkfsoflhc.gif

They'll drop out for 2 weeks, beat Ole Miss, get back in, finishing the regular season at 11-1. Alabama, if they beat Auburn, would go to the CCG and beat Georgia and finish 12-1 and the top 4 would end up being 1 Florida State, 2 Alabama, 3 Oregon, 4 Mississippi State.

The Big Ten and Big XII split away from NCAA, form their own division with Maurice Clarett as commissioner and stage their own championship game.

I think that's the most likely outcome, too. (the first part of your post, that is). Though I still see a 1-loss MSU ranked 4th (behind FSU, Oregon and Bama) if they lose next week, unless it's a total beatdown.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think that's the most likely outcome, too. (the first part of your post, that is). Though I still see a 1-loss MSU ranked 4th (behind FSU, Oregon and Bama) if they lose next week, unless it's a total beatdown.

Theoretically 3rd behind FSU and Bama if it is a very close loss. I could see that, as Oregon plays a bunch of weak teams to end the season.

Not sure how long the 4-team system has to stay in place regarding contractual obligations or anything like that, but an 8-team playoff seems like a certainty in the near future.

Dont know about near future but Wiki is saying 2025-26 as the last date for the CFP rotation, so that each of the classic 6 bowl games get 4 semi-finals each.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
a 12-1 Ohio State B1G champion gets in over a non-championship-winning MSU at 11-1, I would think.

Who knows how the committee will think, but tOSU will have another a win under its belt and it will almost certainly be over a top 10 Nebraska or top 15 Wisconsin.

a 12-1 Ohio State B1G champion gets in over a non-championship-winning MSU at 11-1, I would think.

Who knows how the committee will think, but tOSU will have another a win under its belt and it will almost certainly be over a top 10 Nebraska or top 15 Wisconsin.

Mississippi State would have beaten Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, and Texas A&M, and wouldn't have lost to Virginia Tech.

Baylor has every right to be angry at their ad for their ooc.

yup. Earlier this year Baylor scheduled Incarnate Word for the 2019 season. Assuming they end up 11-1, maybe being left out of the playoffs this year will cause them to rethink their scheduling strategy.

Here are their next 2 years of OOC:

09/05 - at SMU
09/12 - Lamar
09/26 - Rice

09/03 - Northwestern State
09/17 - SMU
09/24 - at Rice

FyreWulff

It's just tradition now for Nebraska to get to the conference championship game and not win, so fine by me

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Mississippi State would have beaten Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, and Texas A&M, and wouldn't have lost to Virginia Tech.

You make a good point, but I still think that the committee might still take a conference champion over a non-champion.

And you act like wins over current and future 3-loss and potentially 4-loss teams will mean shit to the committee. They will overlook 2 SECSECSEC losses, but not 3 and especially not 4.

At that point, does MSU really get credit for having a tough schedule?

Balphon

You make a good point, but I still think that the committee might still take a conference champion over a non-champion.

And you act like wins over current and future 3-loss and potentially 4-loss teams will mean shit to the committee. They will overlook 2 SECSECSEC losses, but not 3 and especially not 4.

At that point, does MSU really get credit for having a tough schedule?

What do you think Ohio State's record would be in the SEC West?

Talon

Getting pantsed by a 4-5 ACC team at home that's last place in the ACC Coastal and having no other wins over ranked teams other than Michigan State and (presumably) Nebraska in the title game is hard to get over.

All of these teams will have at least three wins over ranked teams.

Florida State (3 + 1)
Bama (5 + 1)
Mississippi State (5 + 1)
Oregon (3 + 1)
TCU (5)
Baylor (3)
Arizona State (6 + 1)

Realistically, the committee would take any of those above teams with one loss or less over tOSU.

But, again, as I've always said. Shit will sort itself out over the last three weeks.

Getting pantsed by a 4-5 ACC team at home that's last place in the ACC Coastal and having no other wins over ranked teams other than Michigan State and (presumably) Nebraska in the title game is hard to get over.

All of these teams will have at least three wins over ranked teams.

Florida State (3 + 1)
Bama (5 + 1)
Mississippi State (5 + 1)
Oregon (3 + 1)
TCU (5)
Baylor (3)
Arizona State (6 + 1)

Realistically, the committee would take any of those above teams with one loss or less over tOSU.

But, again, as I've always said. Shit will sort itself out over the last three weeks.

Why is it "hard to get over?"

Do you want the four best teams at the beginning of the year or the end of the year?

I'm not saying the Va Tech loss should be ignored - it was awful - but the context of that game should certainly be taken into consideration.

andycapps

You forget Georgia's luck. After two embarrassing losses it would be just like us to win out and even with the SECCG, thereby denying the SEC a place in the playoff.

jjasper

I don't think a 1 loss Mississippi State team gets in:
1. While everyone else was playing a game against a power 5 OOC they were playing directional schools
2. All of their big wins will probably have 3-4 losses

As far as comparing OSU to Mississippi State. I would go with OSU. They lost it but at least they scheduled an ACC team and their win on the road over Michigan St is probably just as impressive if not more impressive than anything State has done yet.

Also think TCU playing a big ten school OOC and winning will get them in over Baylor who played a Mississippi State quality schedule.

Moral of this story. I hope the committee punishes teams for shitty scheduling. Its fine for teams to do it if they want to get to 6 wins for a bowl but when you are competing for national championships you need to play someone.

Ohio State is a damn good team this year.

Problem is they caught Va Tech at their high point (before injuries decimated them from my understanding) & Va Tech caught them at the right time (before Barrett got his footing).

If they beat Va Tech, they would be looking better than FSU right now.

I don't think a 1 loss Mississippi State team gets in:
1. While everyone else was playing a game against a power 5 OOC they were playing directional schools
2. All of their big wins will probably have 3-4 losses

As far as comparing OSU to Mississippi State. I would go with OSU. They lost it but at least they scheduled an ACC team and their win on the road over Michigan St is probably just as impressive if not more impressive than anything State has done yet.

Also think TCU playing a big ten school OOC and winning will get them in over Baylor who played a Mississippi State quality schedule.

Moral of this story. I hope the committee punishes teams for shitty scheduling. Its fine for teams to do it if they want to get to 6 wins for a bowl but when you are competing for national championships you need to play someone.

PRetty much, like I said earlier. OSU has the worst home loss of the top 10 but also the best road win of the top 10 right now.

Reports our WR Dontre Wilson Broke his foot on TD reception on Saturday and out for rest of the year.

He was also the one who fumbled two kickoff returns though.

You forget Georgia's luck. After two embarrassing losses it would be just like us to win out and even with the SECCG, thereby denying the SEC a place in the playoff.

Naturally. The general idea is that Alabama beats Mississippi State, Ole Miss does, too, Auburn beats Alabama, Georgia wins the SEC CCG and every SEC team has 2 or more losses, with most teams having 3. (Heck, for good measure, let's have Georgia Tech beating Georgia, since now we're just getting silly.) That would be hilarious and catastrophic for the conference.

Of course, 2 teams end up in the playoff anyway.

KingGondo

Banned
Big game this week against Texas. It's our last remaining winnable game, and I fear it might not be as close as people think. The crowd needs to show up rowdy and help the defense keep the game ugly.

Only way we win is with a score of something like 14-10.

Big game this week against Texas. It's our last remaining winnable game, and I fear it might not be as close as people think. The crowd needs to show up rowdy and help the defense keep the game ugly.

Only way we win is with a score of something like 14-10.

Texas is in the same boat because after you guys, we only have TCU left. Both teams have 5 wins, and this is the only realistic win up for grabs for either team. Loser stays home for the holidays, winner goes to the cactus bowl.

andycapps

Naturally. The general idea is that Alabama beats Mississippi State, Ole Miss does, too, Auburn beats Alabama, Georgia wins the SEC CCG and every SEC team has 2 or more losses, with most teams having 3. (Heck, for good measure, lets have Georgia Tech beating Georgia, since now we're just getting silly.) That would be hilarious and catastrophic for the conference.

Of course, 2 teams end up in the playoff anyway.

Right, and then per the narrative, two SEC West teams get in when neither of them won the conference. All part of the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom