• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 13: This months reading assignment: No More Prisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

The guy who presided over the threatening of a rape victim and the death of a student assistant is saying chop blocks are no big deal. Yup, I'll definitely take his word for it.

The guy who presided over the threatening of a rape victim and the death of a student assistant is saying chop blocks are no big deal. Yup, I'll definitely take his word for it.
There are people in here crying about cut blocks who's QB is a rapist. Should I take their word for it instead?

KingGondo

Banned
Sorry, if you want to keep complaining about legal blocking schemes because there is a chance a player could get injured then you are going to get called out for crying. Football is a rough sport. If your players can't handle it then get new players or disband the team. Crying usually doesn't solve much.
I'm going to (reluctantly) give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't just being an obtuse troll.

There's a difference between "smash-mouth" football tactics and cut blocking. You're intentionally diving at one of a person's most vulnerable and injury-prone areas to gain an advantage instead of relying on deploying your OL's physical strength to push someone out of the way. It's unfair and dangerous.

People who complain aren't being "pansies" as you so eloquently put it. They would rather not see guys get more debilitating knee injuries than would otherwise occur in the course of a game.

Also, your combative attitude is probably the biggest reason everyone dogpiles you. This thread is supposed to be fun and you're being an asshole.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'll be ok with pausing the cut block hate for the ACC championship game. Cut Block Away! It's the only retribution Jimbo will ever get.

But yes, I'm against Tackling and blocking low. It's not that I want "touch football", I just want the majority of my team's players to be able to play the following weeks.

I'd also like for them to get rid of the "Scrum runs" that have become popular (where everyone piles up and tries to push forwards/backwards). Had more useless injuries over nothing because of these.

I'm going to (reluctantly) give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't just being an obtuse troll.

There's a difference between "smash-mouth" football tactics and cut blocking. You're intentionally diving at one of a person's most vulnerable and injury-prone areas to gain an advantage instead of relying on deploying your OL's physical strength to push someone out of the way. It's unfair and dangerous.

People who complain aren't being "pansies" as you so eloquently put it. They would rather not see guys get more debilitating knee injuries than would otherwise occur in the course of a game.

Also, your combative attitude is probably the biggest reason everyone dogpiles you. This thread is supposed to be fun and you're being an asshole.
Cut blocking is a completely valid form of blocking that is used pretty extensively even at the NFL level. Your team uses it. So does everyone elses. If you want to get rid of it then thats fine. I doubt any coaches are going to go along with it though. Good luck to your RB the next time he tries to drive block a DE twice his size on a pass rush.

Also, I have no problem with everyone dog piling me or if you think I am an asshole. That is fine. Im really not seeking acceptance from you at all.

KingGondo

Banned
Also, I have no problem with everyone dog piling me or if you think I am an asshole. That is fine. Im really not seeking acceptance from you at all.
Whatever. Just know that you've been shitting up what's generally an amicable community with your constant defensive and humorless posts.

Not really sure why you'd want to continue posting here unless you just want to continue antagonizing people.

Meier

Whatever. Just know that you've been shitting up what's generally an amicable community with your constant defensive and humorless posts.

Not really sure why you'd want to continue posting here unless you just want to continue antagonizing people.

Well stated.

Everyone here keeps making posts to basically call me out and I'm the asshole antagonizing everyone? If you don't want the thread to be shitted up then tell your little buddies to quit making bad jokes that they know ill respond to. You brought this on yourselves, don't play the victim when you are the real assholes. It can easily be avoided.

andycapps

Everyone here keeps making posts to basically call me out and I'm the asshole antagonizing everyone? If you don't want the thread to be shitted up then tell your little buddies to quit making bad jokes that they know ill respond to. You brought this on yourselves, don't play the victim when you are the real assholes. It can easily be avoided.

JenniferLawrenceOkay.gif

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
You are one angry dude.

We're worse than child-rape enablers and sexual-assault forgivers? I'm not saying we don't deserve to be on that list, but how we're higher than PSU and FSU I just don't understand.

I had no idea there was an FSU social media defense force. They got a negative article about FSU flagged as spam? haha, thats some communist media blocking Kim Jong Un shit

andycapps

I haven't made a single post in this thread that wasn't a reply to someone else who posted something they knew would get a response from me. Don't cry when the response comes.

Nobody's crying. If anything, it seems like you're upset.

Draxal said:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...ELLDHP#image=1

I take it back. Truly101 and Randolph aren't douches, all the rest of you guys are assholes according to this though.

Hey at least we're only #8 based completely on some Auburn fan that claims to have had 20 people spit on him last weekend at the game. What a load of shit that was.

Draxal

We're worse than child-rape enablers and sexual-assault forgivers? I'm not saying we don't deserve to be on that list, but how we're higher than PSU and FSU I just don't understand.

Naming a child Crimson is a crime against humanity.

Meier

I had no idea there was an FSU social media defense force. They got a negative article about FSU flagged as spam? haha, thats some communist media blocking Kim Jong Un shit

They didn't. Twitter came out and shot that down but the NY Times writer who claimed it to be the case only slight backpedaled like a day later and then they managed to get another article about it where they could speak negatively about FSU.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Don't tell me he got banned from things in here? He never really said anything bad, just a hardline opinion opposite of most of ours.

Meier

Don't tell me he got banned from things in here? He never really said anything bad, just a hardline opinion opposite of most of ours.

I don't know why he got banned, but if it was for his posts in here, then it was probably fair. Gondo made a good point in that we have a nice community here and doing nothing but constantly being antagonizing and confrontational is really unnecessary. A little time to cool off wouldn't be a bad thing.

Edit: It must have been due to his posts in here as I looked at his profile and his last 50 posts were all in CFB threads.

I don't know why he got banned, but if it was for his posts in here, then it was probably fair. Gondo made a good point in that we have a nice community here and doing nothing but constantly being antagonizing and confrontational is really unnecessary. A little time to cool off wouldn't be a bad thing.

Edit: It must have been due to his posts in here as I looked at his profile and his last 50 posts were all in CFB threads.

The "Find more posts" search sometimes has a ~30 minute delay, but I'm sure it was from his posts here. Wouldn't surprise me if it was just a 2 week ban for him to "cool off" like you said. I seriously doubt he was permed or anything.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
That happens when damn near every game in the B1G is a rivalry game. Your conference has chosen quantity over quality for rivalrys.

But maybe if every game is a rivalry game, we can be like the SEC and have every game be quality win/lose potential! No one wants to lose against a rival, right?

FyreWulff

At least Nebraska/Penn State is no longer a quasi-rivalry game.

HERP DERP THEY'RE THE FARTHEST APART THAT MEANS THEY SHOULD PLAY EACH YEAR

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Speaking of rivalry games, this is a couple of weeks old but a cool SBNation piece on my undergrad's football rivalry, The Black Hills Brawl between the SDSM&T Hardrockers (ROCKERS ROCK!) and the Black Hills State Yellowjackets, which just played it's 129th game a few weeks ago. It's the fourth most played rivalry in the country and the most played west of the Mississippi, or as the author puts it "it's the longest running college football rivalry you've never heard of."

IMG_0830.0.jpg

The local rivalry game, the Black Hills Brawl, is also just what it sounds like. Two teams, Black Hills State and South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, both nestled in the Black Hills, claw at each other until only one is left standing. And it's the longest-running college football series you've never heard of.

This year's showdown is the 129th edition of a rivalry that predates the Egg Bowl, Arkansas-LSU, the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, Kansas-Kansas State, Bedlam, and the Third Saturday in October.

Despite the early dominance by School of Mines, it's an even series. Entering this year, the Hardrockers had a slight edge, with a record of 60-57-11. The game has rarely, if ever, had implications beyond South Dakota, but it's never needed them. To a fan on either side, it's just as meaningful as any Iron Bowl or Backyard Brawl or Red River Shootout.

This is the secret of any classic rivalry: football is merely a means for a clash of cultures. Whether the clash is real or imagined is irrelevant. It only needs to exist in the minds of the fans, so they can point to the enemy and see him as different. You already know the usual permutations -- traditional powerhouse vs. beleaguered upstart, flagship university vs. agriculture school, morally upright vs. win-at-any-cost.

The dichotomy at work here: smart kids vs. safety school. Or nerds vs. cool kids, from the other point of view. The coaches at both universities are aware of this.

On the Mines side, Collins calls it "just two different schools, a STEM education school and a liberal arts, broad-based school."

Reiners is a bit blunter. "They think they're a lot smarter than us. No matter what, if we beat em, they'll chant, 'You'll be working for us some day.'"

There's some base truth. Scan the Mines roster, and you'll see nothing but engineering and geology and interdisciplinary sciences majors, because the school offers only 16 bachelor degree programs. None looks like an easy path to a diploma. Black Hills State's academic legacy is as a teacher's college, and the school offers several degrees that don't require laboratory fees. Each is a fine place of higher education -- Black Hills State has spent plenty of time and money to make itself a welcoming place for military veteran students, for instance -- but the distinction's enough for rivalry purposes.

Petrino isn't the head coach at Black Hills State. That would be John Reiners, a former track athlete and wide receiver who spends most of practice in relative silence. You hardly remember he's there until you spot him in a corner having a talk with one or two players. His assistants light the fires, and Reiners controls them.

It doesn't take much of a spark this week. The upperclassmen Yellow Jackets aren't used to seeing an empty space in Reiners' office, where the Homestake Trophy sat after wins in 2011 and 2012.

"Of all the losses I've been associated with, the ones with School of Mines ... they eat you up. These seniors, they don't want to be the group that has to hear it from the alums. They don't want to be the guys that left and didn't get the trophy back."

Your brain looks at this and says this is a Division II game. This is a tiny thing going on in a very large college football universe. This is not important.

Every other cell in your body screams that your brain is full of shit.

In last year's second-half collapse, BHSU quarterback Ward Anderson threw a costly pick in the end zone with the Yellow Jackets holding a slim lead. Whether he's thinking about that pick or not, Anderson doesn't let the past repeat itself, as he runs for 40 yards and completes six passes to help drain five minutes off the dwindling game clock. The last of those completions is very nearly the death blow to School of Mines, a touchdown to tight end Luke Whalen. It's the third score of the game for the brawny Yellow Jacket, who missed two seasons while deployed in Afghanistan with the Army National Guard.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...school-mines-college-football-rivalry-profile

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...t-reputations/ss-BBeNwx8?ocid=DELLDHP#image=1

I take it back. Truly101 and Randolph aren't douches, all the rest of you guys are assholes according to this though.

I like that the article acknowledges that the fanbase that's despised is often people who never went to ND. Although I feel like it's hard to call that group bandwagon fans just because they tend to be Irish or Catholic and then make the point that ND hasn't won a championship in a really long time. Wouldn't that be the opposite of bandwagon fans? I mean either make fun of non-alum ND fans for being bandwagoners or make fun of them because ND hasn't won a championship in a really long time; it doesn't really make sense to make fun of them for both. The Dallas Cowboys have been mediocre for over a decade, are Cowboys fans bandwagon fans too?

I also will laugh in anyone's face who says that ND fans are annoying because they think their team should win a championship every year. What kind of sorry fanbase just wants to get to play in a bowl game every few years?

After reading the whole thing, the only fanbase that actually annoys me as a whole are SECSECSEC apologists because it doesn't matter what team they actually cheer for. Otherwise I've never run into an entire fanbase that was even worth putting on a list. The bigger your fanbase, the more mouth-breathing, sports-talk-calling-in idiots you're going to have.

MrJames

Pick 'ems for the week:

Minnesota @ Nebraska by 7
Boston College @ Florida State by 16
Arizona @ Utah by 6
Stanford @ California by 7
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 8
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 11
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 13
Missouri @ Tennessee by 8
USC @ UCLA by 4
Fresno State @ Nevada by 4

Minnesota @ Nebraska by 9
Boston College @ Florida State by 24
Arizona @ Utah by 4
Stanford @ California by 5
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 6
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 8
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 10
Missouri @ Tennessee by 5
USC @ UCLA by 7

Baylor's new stadium doesn't have a roof does it? Looks like there will be heavy thunderstorms with possible tornadoes around kickoff against OSU, and we all know Waco's history with tornadoes.

Jhriad

Minnesota @ Nebraska by 6
Boston College @ Florida State by 14
Arizona @ Utah by 4
Stanford @ California by 4
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 4
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 14
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 11
Missouri @ Tennessee by 4
USC @ UCLA by 4
Fresno State @ Nevada by 10

Minnesota by 8
Boston College by 4
Utah by 10
California by 5
Notre Dame by 10
Wisconsin by 17
Baylor by 23
Missouri by 10
UCLA by 35
Nevada by 14

Minnesota @ Nebraska by 10
Boston College @ Florida State by 17
Arizona @ Utah by 4
Stanford @ California by 6
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 10
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 30
USC @ UCLA by 4
Fresno State @ Nevada by 7

Minnesota @ Nebraska by 7
Boston College @ Florida State by 11
Arizona @ Utah by 4
Stanford @ California by 4
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 7
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 9
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 21
Missouri @ Tennessee by 7
USC @ UCLA by 4

ag-my001

Minnesota by 7
FSU by 14
Utah by 7
Cal by 7
Louisville by 7
Wisconsin by 14
Baylor by 21
Mizzou by 7
UCLA by 7
Nevada by 7

Minnesota @ Nebraska by 10
Boston College @ Florida State by 17
Arizona @ Utah by 4
Stanford @ California by 6
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 10
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 17
USC @ UCLA by 4
Fresno State @ Nevada by 7

I marked as spam. Nearly cancelled my membership, too. Of course, I check the Times this morning and what do I see? Yet another negative article about FSU and Jimbo and how their call in coach show is a 'no sin zone'. :rolleyes WSJ and Tallahassee Democrat here I come!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/22/s...on=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below

Pure black Ice here in columbus today, wondering how many people are going to show for the game. Also walking up the steps in the stadium is going to be treacherous...

Pure black Ice here in columbus today, wondering how many people are going to show for the game. Also walking up the steps in the stadium is going to be treacherous...

Hopefully it all melts quickly. Gonna get into the 40s today.

But it was a nice excuse to sit on my ass all morning and play Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom