• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 13: This months reading assignment: No More Prisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
If this was FSU, we'd know about this come St. Patty's Day (and assumed it just happened because of St. Patty's Day)

If this was Florida, we'd find out during his 3rd year with the New England Patriots.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
If a bunch of teams win out someone is getting screwed.

These would be in (like it or not):
FSU
Alabama
Oregon

Then we argue in circles:
OSU
Baylor
Miss St.

Not going to include TCU because I think Baylor gets them in head-to-head and resumes are otherwise similar. I'd give it to OSU for sure if MSU and Wisconsin win out (obviously OSU would have to beat Wisc in champ game).

The sad thing is that a couple of weird losses (combination of any Oregon, OSU, FSU, Baylor and each of those has lose-able games left on the schedule) and we get the SEC echo chamber ramped up to demand 3 spots in the playoff (top SEC teams win out and Georgia beats Alabama in SEC title game). Nightmare.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think this year is the perfect scenario to move to a 8 team playoff.

If the committee allows Miss St in (assuming everyone wins out) I'm going to lose it.

One of: OSU, Baylor or TCU should get a shot.

My gut says TCU probably deserves it only because Baylor declined to play anyone at all in pre-conference play.

Wow, he even had the tOSU super fan in the dinner. Eleven Warriors take note

osufreedomfromwant.jpg

Is our Mod Cyan a Literature major? I'm not here to do any reading assignments.

edit: Oh Sto0ge is responsible for the mod abuse edit, nvm. I'm all for scaling back the prison industry.

StoOgE

Is our Mod Cyan a Literature major? I'm not here to do any reading assignments.

edit: Oh Sto0ge is responsible for the mod abuse edit, nvm

I was indeed the villain.

It's a book that was making the rounds when I was an undergrad about how school is stupid and blah blah blah.

Thought it was appropriate.

offtopic

I think this year is the perfect scenario to move to a 8 team playoff.

If the committee allows Miss St in (assuming everyone wins out) I'm going to lose it.

One of: OSU, Baylor or TCU should get a shot.

My gut says TCU probably deserves it only because Baylor declined to play anyone at all in pre-conference play.

Yeah I'll lose my shit if they put Miss St. in as well. I don't have a problem with downgrading teams who intentionally schedule nobody but then the SEC also needs to be held accountable for scheduling wins late in the season and only playing 7 conference games.

Them playing one less conference game than everyone else guarantees that half the teams end with one less loss than teams in comparable conferences. Total bullshit and adds to the circular logic echo chamber. "HEY WE'RE SO GOOD WE SHOULD ONLY SCHEDULE 6 SEC TEAMS BECAUSE ITS HARD YOU KNOW?!"

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oh hey, Tennessee has suspended the 2 players.

Chase Goodbread ‏@ChaseGoodbread 12m12 minutes ago
Tennessee suspends senior LB A.J. Johnson and Michael Williams.

Yeah I'll lose my shit if they put Miss St. in as well. I don't have a problem with downgrading teams who intentionally schedule nobody but then the SEC also needs to be held accountable for scheduling wins late in the season and only playing 7 conference games.

Them playing one less conference game than everyone else guarantees that half the teams end with one less loss than teams in comparable conferences. Total bullshit and adds to the circular logic echo chamber. "HEY WE'RE SO GOOD WE SHOULD ONLY SCHEDULE 6 SEC TEAMS BECAUSE ITS HARD YOU KNOW?!"

Baylor gets shit for playing 3 cupcakes non-conference, but we're giving A&M a pass for playing 4 cupcakes. Really all A&M has to do to become bowl eligible is to win 2 SEC games.

Baylor non-conference slate

1. Northwestern State
2. SMU
3. Buffalo

Aggy non- conference slate
1. Rice
2. Lamar
3. SMU
4. ULM

SEC plays 8 conference games btw.

offtopic

Baylor gets shit for playing 3 cupcakes non-conference, but we're giving A&M a pass for playing 4 cupcakes. Really all A&M has to do to become bowl eligible is to win 2 SEC games.

Baylor non-conference slate

1. Northwestern State
2. SMU
3. Buffalo

Aggy non- conference slate
1. Rice
2. Lamar
3. SMU
4. ULM

SEC plays 8 conference games btw.

All that is true but A&M isn't in the playoff debate so sort of outside the scope of what I was getting at. However, it does go to show the magnitude of this sec echo chamber - they were ranked 23 last week omfg.

Ooops on the number of conference games but the point is that it is one less than everyone else. That means half the teams in the conference have one less loss than they would otherwise and in the current system losses are more hurtful than wins are helpful so it gives the SEC yet another manufactured bullshit advantage.

All that is true but A&M isn't in the playoff debate so sort of outside the scope of what I was getting at. However, it does go to show the magnitude of this sec echo chamber - they were ranked 23 last week.

Ooops on the number of conference games but the point is that it is one less than everyone else. That means half the teams in the conference have one less loss than they would otherwise and in the current system losses are more hurtful than wins are helpful so it gives the SEC yet another manufactured advantage.

Who told those other conferences to go to 9 games? Did I tell them to go to 9 games?

RT96pPs.jpg

ACC is still at 8, too. Fat chance ever seeing that league fully commit to 9, not with Notre Dame 62.5% in the fold and the SEC rivalry games on top of that.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
9 wins every year would be great if the way we lose most games wasn't so lopsided and if those wins were against anyone with a pulse. Our program is of a large enough size that we shouldn't be okay with only beating the low hanging fruit in one of the weakest conferences. Until we can at the very least remain somewhat competitive in all our losses there's no reason to remain complacent on this team and staff. There's no excuse for the yearly blowouts.

I agree. I think the most glaring thing is we haven't won a conference championship this century. Pelini's 'getting shit set up' grace period has long since expired.

StoOgE

Have we talked about Ole Bo getting up in his players face for like 30 seconds over a missed tackle?

I am firmly of the opinion that he shouldn't be allowed near college kids.

Dude is a hot head as evidenced by he and his brothers reaction to losing the Big 12 CCG to Texas.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Have we talked about Ole Bo getting up in his players face for like 30 seconds over a missed tackle?

Dude is a hot head as evidenced by he and his brothers reaction to losing the Big 12 CCG to Texas.

idk, part of me like the hotheaded passion for winning, but it's too much. It needs channeled somewhere else. I know not everyone can be/have Dr. Tom level of patience and emotional control, but then he's often way too fiery for his own good.

Nebraska fans still feel like they were slighted at the end of the game, and it was somehow Texas' fault the clock operator fell asleep at the job when the ball landed out of bounds with a second left in the game. The indignation is still strong in Lincoln.

StoOgE

Nebraska fans still feel like they were slighted at the end of the game, and it was somehow Texas' fault the clock operator fell asleep at the job when the ball landed out of bounds with a second left in the game. The indignation is still strong in Lincoln.

Sure,

But you can feel like you got hosed and take that up with the proper channels without coming back out of the locker room to scream obscenities at college kids.

I'm all for yelling at a player who made a bone headed decision or play, but a guy was out of position and whiffed on a tackle. Screaming at him the way he did for as long as he did was super uncalled for.

Sure,

But you can feel like you got hosed and take that up with the proper channels without coming back out of the locker room to scream obscenities at college kids.

I'm all for yelling at a player who made a bone headed decision or play, but a guy was out of position and whiffed on a tackle. Screaming at him the way he did for as long as he did was super uncalled for.

We need a top 5 hot head football coach list

1. Pelini
2. Mangino ( allegedly )
3. Tubberville
4. ??
5 ??

Lunar15

I have a real bad feeling about Florida's coach decision. Not sure why, but the uncertainty is killing me.

I think I saw Greg Schiano in a list somewhere. This terrifies me.

meh, black friday starts at 6pm Thursday (5pm at some stores ). By noon Friday it will calm down.

Looks like I'm going to the TCU/Texas game on Black Thanksgiving Thursday

Oh, I don't care about the shopping. I will never participate in that zoo.

I just wanted a night game. Also, now there is less of a chance of UCF fans taking over Raymond James Stadium. Harder to get away from family that early sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom