• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 13: This months reading assignment: No More Prisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxleyes

Banned
Also, most college players aren't Heisman winners. He's held to a higher standard than most.
Didn't the Heisman committee remove that aspect of the award?
Still should be held to that higher standard, but oh the sweet irony from that committee

CFB Final just mentioned Muschamp will not coach the bowl game. So, that game against FSU really is it for him. He'll have his office cleaned out before the start of the game so afterwards he can go straight home to his computer to fill out job applications.

Yeah the 12 state universities in Florida have similar rules for student hearings. Basically a lawyer or other rep can be present and advise the student, but only the student can ultimately speak for themselves to the hearing committee.

andycapps

Georgia is Georgia. Annual underachievers with superior talent. Until they prove otherwise I'll never believe they're contenders. I like Richt but I think you guys will have to move on to get to the next level.

Honestly, Georgia has never been that offensive to me versus the rest of the SEC for whatever.
I don't really disagree with you on a lot here, my only defense is that we seem to have problems playing well against teams that are worse than us. Against teams better than us, we have no problem with lack of motivation.

FyreWulff

CFB Final just mentioned Muschamp will not coach the bowl game. So, that game against FSU really is it for him. He'll have his office cleaned out before the start of the game so afterwards he can go straight home to his computer to fill out job applications.

So this means they're beating FSU, right

Slo

Guys I had the weirdest dream that Minney went into Lincoln, injured their entire team, and stole a win from Big Red.

Michigan will be dethroned as the attendance King for the first time in 40 years, Ohio stadium will end the season averaging about 1000 more fans per game than them

On another note 7 4star or higher players have decommited from Michigan this season

Piggus

The actual hilarity is everyone else being mad.

But really, just to use this as a jump off point, I get it. Most of America watches Jameis thinking he's a rapist and that understandably colors perception of anything he does. Any transgression, no matter how trivial, is just further proof of what a horrible person he is. I watch with the hope that he's not a rapist, understanding that he wasn't charged (and, yes, also understanding the investigation was horribly botched) and it allows a different coloring of perception, and see the other transgressions as things that merely suggest he can be a knucklehead.

What are you supposed to do, you know? He wasn't charged, and I'd rather believe he's innocent than believe there's another rapist and another rape victim on this planet, not to mention I'd rather believe a rapist is not the quarterback of my favorite college football team. I hope I'm right, and there is at least a legal presumption of innocence here. And if he's not a rapist, then a lot of the other scrutiny he gets is unnecessary piling on.

If he did it, then I hope the victim gets justice, civilly if not criminally.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't watch him thinking he's a rapist. Innocent until proven guilty, right? I watch him knowing that he's a fucking dumbass, however. Pushing around the ref, stealing crab legs, jumping on tables and yelling, etc.

The kid just dumb. His "antics" show that.

Piggus

If a bunch of teams win out someone is getting screwed.

These would be in (like it or not):
FSU
Alabama
Oregon

Then we argue in circles:
OSU
Baylor
Miss St.

Not going to include TCU because I think Baylor gets them in head-to-head and resumes are otherwise similar. I'd give it to OSU for sure if MSU and Wisconsin win out (obviously OSU would have to beat Wisc in champ game).

The sad thing is that a couple of weird losses (combination of any Oregon, OSU, FSU, Baylor and each of those has lose-able games left on the schedule) and we get the SEC echo chamber ramped up to demand 3 spots in the playoff (top SEC teams win out and Georgia beats Alabama in SEC title game). Nightmare.

Alternatively, Alabama could still lose the Iron Bowl and Miss. State could still lose the Egg Bowl. ESPN is too pussy to call it what it is: no SEC in Playoff.

I don't know what's more shocking, that Winstson wasn't ejected last night or that Jimbo will go to any length to defend him. I mean just come out with some PR statement that he didn't represent the university well enough, that's not what we stand for at FSU and he will correct it.

Lunar15

There's a weird, bittersweet irony in the fact that Muschamp's last game will be the one the nation wants him to win the most.

ulua

really seems like ole miss completely lost every ounce of momentum/confidence/etc. that they had built up over the season when they lost to auburn & treadwell got injured. they went from completely clearing out the stands at kyle field (i know, they arent very good this year, but its not something you see very often) to getting shut out by a team that had just won their first SEC game under bielema. ive got to give it to arkansas though, theyve made a nice late season run

also huge lulz @ petrino beating the golden domers

HeySeuss

Every college I've attended has afforded its students the option to have counsel involved with disciplinary hearings. When you have a possible civil trial looming in your future it makes sense to have your attorney present to make sure you don't weaken your defense in the civil case by saying something stupid at the disciplinary hearing.

Addressing Randolph: I've said before I don't blame Jameis' attorney for moving the hearing. I blame the school for allowing the hearing to be moved not once but twice once Jameis' attorney realized he fucked up.

Also, most college players aren't Heisman winners. He's held to a higher standard than most.

They allow council but the attorney can't answer questions on behalf of the students, only advise them. I've never heard of an attorney move the hearing date for a student disciplinary hearing. It's handled much like a garrity interview since its administrative and not criminal. The civil would be completely separate since the hearing would be protected by FERPA guidelines. The only thing they could use in the civil trial would be the police report and anything attached to it. Unless of course Winston allowed them to use it.

Unless it differs from state to state which is entirely possible.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
That Winston sure is a high character kid. Clearly everything he has ever done was just a misunderstanding.

He thought the drunk co-ed wanted to be dropped off in the middle of the street.
He forgot to buy those crab legs.
He was confused when he jumped on a table and proclaimed he wanted to fuck her right in the pussy.
He thought that guy wanted all those autographs for sick kids in the hospital.
He really thought the ref was confused and was getting him into the right position.

I don't blame Winston. He's just an entitled little shit who has always been allowed to do whatever he wants by everyone because he can throw a football.

The adults around him, and especially Fischer who defend him to the ends of the earth in the media should look themselves in the mirror and ask if winning football games is wroth it. My guess is his answer is yes.

But it's ok, Florida St will retroactively pardon winston after he is already in the NFL once the title 9 decision comes out in 2021.

Florida State seems super content to become a super shady team so long as they win.

Winston should get a suspension for the next game, but that won't happen because the ACC has too much riding on Florida State.

Lunar15

In the off chance that he pulls off an upset, just imagine the cheers he'll get from a crowd that was calling for his head this season.

It's confusing, for sure. He's a good guy and the whole firing has kind of felt like Old Yeller: We all know it's time, but that doesn't make it feel good.

He had his chances, though. You don't lose 6 of your last 8 home games and feel particularly welcome.

You'll have to ask the ref why he didn't penalize Winston, then. I'm sure the ACC will issue some sort of statement in the next couple of days. I personally don't think he was thinking "this is Jameis Winston, so he gets a pass."

"Incidental and Insignificant"

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-not-warrant-unsportsmanlike-penalty-acc-says

The contact between Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston and an official in Saturday's Boston College game was "incidental and insignificant" and did not warrant an unsportsmanlike penalty, said the ACC's coordinator of officials.

With the scored tied at 17-17 and 5:20 left in the third quarter, an official stood between Winston and center Cam Erving to prevent the Seminoles (No. 3 CFP, No. 1 AP) from running their next play. An official is instructed to stand over the ball to prevent the offense from snapping it until the defense has sufficient time to match the offense's substitutions. The center judge was not standing over the football, however, and Erving was already set with his hand on the ball.

Winston tried moving the official with his hand and arm before the center judge retreated to his normal position on the field.

Doug Rhoads, the ACC's coordinator of officials, said in a statement Sunday: "The center judge's positioning, which was due to the experimental year of having an eighth official, combined with the late substitution and by rule the need to allow the defense to matchup, led to contact between himself and the player. The official believed the contact was incidental and insignificant and did not rise to the level of unsportsmanlike conduct and automatic disqualification."

FSU coach Jimbo Fisher and Winston said there was nothing malicious about the contact between the reigning Heisman Trophy winner and an official in the third quarter of the Seminoles' 20-17 win against Boston College on Saturday.

"He was just holding me because he said we had a substitution," Winston said of the official. "It was actually a fast-tempo play, so I was trying to get up under there and let it ride."

Fisher said the play call was for Winston to snap the ball quickly after the previous play, but the official ruled Florida State made a substitution at running back, the coach said he was told.

"I don't think [Winston] realized it. He was caught up in the excitement of the moment," Fisher said. "Hey, you get emotional. He didn't realize. He thought he could snap the ball. ... He knew that was his job -- get out there and set and snap the ball."

Fisher said he didn't talk to Winston about the contact, which he felt was innocuous and unintentional.

"He doesn't even remember [when he came to the sideline]," Fisher said. "When I yell at players, five minutes later, I don't remember who I yelled at. You move on to the next thing."

Dave Cutaia, ESPN's college officiating expert and the former Pac-10 coordinator of officiating, said FSU should have been penalized 15 yards and Winston should have been ejected for the contact.

Fisher, though, was pleased the officials did not levy punishment.

"They did a good job on that from that standpoint," he said. "I think they understood what was going on. Those guys handled that part of the game. They managed the game itself and that part, I thought, very good. They did a very nice job."

The ACC routinely evaluates every game and reports from their officials. The ACC said it considers the matter closed.

So yeah, I'm going to continue keeping my posting to the bare minimum until Hermann & Flood are both gone.

No point in vesting myself in a sport, when my school has no desire to provide me a decent product. I'm going to stay out of athletics until we get an AD with some actual guts.

Draxal

So yeah, I'm going to continue keeping my posting to the bare minimum until Hermann & Flood are both gone.

No point in vesting myself in a sport, when my school has no desire to provide me a decent product. I'm going to stay out of athletics until we get an AD with some actual guts.

I don't blame you at this point, apathy is starting to settle in for me as well.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm feeling something I haven't felt for well over a month: hope.

Rudolph looked extremely promising and poised out there. The offensive line actually blocked decently.

Hopefully Gundy sticks around, we make a change at OC and we're back to contending for a conference title next season.

"Incidental and insignificant" should be this week's thread title.

It's also is an apt descriptor for the OSU-UM rivalry, thanks entirely to Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom