• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 13: This months reading assignment: No More Prisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

lush

Loss to a very beatable team. Loss is on coaches and Malone, and us not being FSU when it comes to player discipline.

KingGondo

Banned
Actually pretty happy with that performance. Too inconsistent to have a real shot on the road, but I said before the game if we covered that would be progress.

Time to roll the dice with the freshman one last time on the road against OU and pray for a miracle (and a bowl game).

jjasper

B3GR9RRIEAAPO14.jpg:large

So many offsides

(doesn't excuse Jones's stroke at the end of the game)

Enron

Banned
Holy shit I just saw the clip of Jameis shoving the ref out of the way. How does he not get ejected? Does the ref work for the Tallahassee Police Department?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Holy shit I just saw the clip of Jameis shoving the ref out of the way. How does he not get ejected? Does the ref work for the Tallahassee Police Department?
Because his behavior is "hilarious." Ask our FSU fans.

Got a text from an USC fan saying we got gifts in the first half.....

LOL!!!

only gifts I can think of are the agholor drop gift and the ref calling it an interception when the guys foot was clearly out of bounds.

wouldn't have changed the game though so whatever. just prevented sark from blowing yet another lead.

I'm laughing at all of the people on ND boards who want to fire Brian Kelly. If the school was stupid enough to do it, I probably couldn't even list all of the schools who would gladly hire him.

I'm laughing at all of the people on ND boards who want to fire Brian Kelly. If the school was stupid enough to do it, I probably couldn't even list all of the schools who would gladly hire him.

Remember if your coach doesn't bring you a playoff every year, they're pretty much worthless and overrated.

Because his behavior is "hilarious." Ask our FSU fans.

The actual hilarity is everyone else being mad.

But really, just to use this as a jump off point, I get it. Most of America watches Jameis thinking he's a rapist and that understandably colors perception of anything he does. Any transgression, no matter how trivial, is just further proof of what a horrible person he is. I watch with the hope that he's not a rapist, understanding that he wasn't charged (and, yes, also understanding the investigation was horribly botched) and it allows a different coloring of perception, and see the other transgressions as things that merely suggest he can be a knucklehead.

What are you supposed to do, you know? He wasn't charged, and I'd rather believe he's innocent than believe there's another rapist and another rape victim on this planet, not to mention I'd rather believe a rapist is not the quarterback of my favorite college football team. I hope I'm right, and there is at least a legal presumption of innocence here. And if he's not a rapist, then a lot of the other scrutiny he gets is unnecessary piling on.

If he did it, then I hope the victim gets justice, civilly if not criminally.

Just my 2 cents.

(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by 7
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by 7
Minnesota @ Nebraska by 7
Boston College @ Florida State by 14
Arizona @ Utah by 4
Stanford @ California by 4 (why not)
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 4
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 14
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 24
Missouri @ Tennessee by 10
USC @ UCLA by 10
Fresno State @ Nevada by 7

8 picks/12 points, I would have 9/14 except I am an idiot and forgot to bold Kansas State in my initial post >_>

jerd

Yean I can't wait for the SEC apology that basically means nothing because the shit refs that they continue to employ keep their jobs.

Are you still talking about that call specifically? Because the only part of the kicker's body that wasn't offsides was his kicking foot. The problem was they threw a flag for it immediately but didn't even state that it was a call on the field.

The kicker clearly steps across the 35 before kicking in that video. You're right, it wasn't even close.

jjasper

Are you still talking about that call specifically? Because the only part of the kicker's body that wasn't offsides was his kicking foot. The problem was they threw a flag for it immediately but didn't even state that it was a call on the field.

The kicker can be offsides.

jjasper

yes. It should have never been called. They should have never thrown the flag for it. No one was offsides (Kickers are allowed to be offsides on kicks). If that is what you are saying sorry I got confused.

But really, just to use this as a jump off point, I get it. Most of America watches Jameis thinking he's a rapist and that understandably colors perception of anything he does. Any transgression, no matter how trivial, is just further proof of what a horrible person he is. I watch with the hope that he's not a rapist, understanding that he wasn't charged (and, yes, also understanding the investigation was horribly botched) and it allows a different coloring of perception, and see the other transgressions as things that merely suggest he can be a knucklehead.

What are you supposed to do, you know? He wasn't charged, and I'd rather believe he's innocent than believe there's another rapist and another rape victim on this planet, not to mention I'd rather believe a rapist is not the quarterback of my favorite college football team. I hope I'm right, and there is at least a legal presumption of innocence here. And if he's not a rapist, then a lot of the other scrutiny he gets is unnecessary piling on.

Just my 2 cents.

I think for most rational people it's the litany of other things that he's gotten away with and been outwardly supported in doing. You're right, he wasn't charged with rape, so fine. That has absolutely no bearing on his behavior after that with bb guns, shoplifting, etc.

That's all off the field stuff.

When someone isn't punished within the rules of the game for doing something that is clearly illegal and which is clearly documented for everyone to see, it's hard not to see that as letting him continue to get away with being a "knucklehead" at every turn.

jerd

yes. It should have never been called. They should have never thrown the flag for it. No one was offsides (Kickers are allowed to be offsides on kicks). If that is what you are saying sorry I got confused.

Ah that's not how I understood the rule.

mre

Just my 2 cents.
I understand why FSU fans choose to believe he's innocent.

u0LRYbk.jpg

I hope you realize that you can still cheer for the Noles while condemning Winston's individual actions, including the shoving of an official in tonight's game.

Unfortunately, TPD's actions made it impossible for either Winston or his alleged victim to ever fully clear their name publicly. However, Winston's consistent off-the field idiocy has colored the non-FSU following public's perception of him. That's why the scrutiny is not piling on, it's just a natural consequence of his own actions. Shooting out windows. Stealing crab legs. Publicly shouting obscene phrases in the middle of campus. Lacking the common sense to talk to someone before dressing out for a game in which he was suspended. Pushing back the date of his hearing. He's brought all of the extra scrutiny on himself.

Finally, the fact that he has a legal presumption of innocence has no bearing in the court of public opinion, which is the only court he's currently being tried in

When someone isn't punished within the rules of the game for doing something that is clearly illegal and which is clearly documented for everyone to see, it's hard not to see that as letting him continue to get away with being a "knucklehead" at every turn.

You'll have to ask the ref why he didn't penalize Winston, then. I'm sure the ACC will issue some sort of statement in the next couple of days. I personally don't think he was thinking "this is Jameis Winston, so he gets a pass."

Draconian

That Jameis moment indeed was quite hilarious. Almost as hilarious as it's going to be when this FSU team gets taken to the woodshed when it has to play a real team.

I will admit, at least due to lack of knowledge if nothing else, to wondering why nothing was done about the BB guns incident. Something was done about the crab legs. Everything since then, you know, really, it's really nothing. If a kid on your team shouts an obscene meme on campus, it's not on SportsCenter (and he isn't suspended). If a kid who's suspended dresses out for LSU, it's again not on SportsCenter. Nobody would know, nobody would care, nobody should care. (Except for maybe his parents... didn't they raise you better than to repeat a vulgar phrase?) Pushing the hearing date back, I don't know, but I think that's a move many lawyers would make for their clients (heck, I've had dates moved for far less serious matters such as traffic infractions).

Anyway, I don't know. Again, I just used that as a jump off, like I said. I generally keep my mouth shut about Jameis, certainly when people on this forum start talking about sexual assault, and I am disgusted, actually, when people use that as part of a joke (I might laugh about crab legs, but there's no joking about a possible rape). So I've got some Jameis-defense, or at least some Florida State defense, bottled up in me. (YES, at the same time, I can certainly recognize how the institution has dragged its feet, how the university police and TPD have apparently knowingly helped sweep some issues under the rug, and I would certainly prefer for that to stop.)

I'll drop it, though. But I'll be as curious as anyone else about what the ACC says about the referee.

That Jameis moment indeed was quite hilarious. Almost as hilarious as it's going to be when this FSU team gets taken to the woodshed when it has to play a real team.

They're walking that tight-rope, for sure. They could get blasted at any time. Heaven knows, they've given teams plenty of chances, and one of them might just take them soon enough. Florida, Georgia Tech, whomever.

I'll drop it, though. But I'll be as curious as anyone else about what the ACC says about the referee.

Well he should be suspended for screwing up twice on the same play. One for being out of position in the first place to stop the ball from being snapped, and two for not protecting himself from the physical actions of a player. The second one is probably the one that the ACC cares about the most, because you don't want to set the precedent that it's OK to manhandle a ref even if Jameis wasn't being malicious about it (which I think he clearly wasn't). Though somebody needs to explain to Jimbo what the difference is between "intentional" and "maliciously intentional."

HeySeuss

I will admit, at least due to lack of knowledge if nothing else, to wondering why nothing was done about the BB guns incident. Something was done about the crab legs. Everything since then, you know, really, it's really nothing. If a kid on your team shouts an obscene meme on campus, it's not on SportsCenter (and he isn't suspended). If a kid who's suspended dresses out for LSU, it's again not on SportsCenter. Nobody would know, nobody would care, nobody should care. (Except for maybe his parents... didn't they raise you better than to repeat a vulgar phrase?) Pushing the hearing date back, I don't know, but I think that's a move many lawyers would make for their clients (heck, I've had dates moved for far less serious matters such as traffic infractions).

Anyway, I don't know. Again, I just used that as a jump off, like I said. I generally keep my mouth shut about Jameis, certainly when people on this forum start talking about sexual assault, and I am disgusted, actually, when people use that as part of a joke. So I've got some Jameis-defense, or at least some Florida State defense, bottled up in me. (YES, at the same time, I can certainly recognize how the institution has dragged its feet, how the university police and TPD have apparently knowingly helped sweep some issues under the rug, and I would certainly prefer for that to stop.)

I don't understand why his lawyers have anything to do with his student disciplinary hearing anyways. I'm sure it differs from state to state but the ones I've dealt with allow legal council but only as an advisory capacity. They don't speak for the student and they don't do any kind of asking for continuances or anything like that.

The thing about student disciplinary hearings is that he doesn't have to meet the criminal standard of beyond reasonable doubt, it only needs to meet the preponderance of evidence which is just 51% likely that he committed the offense.

I realize that its a high profile case but damn. Title XI cases are supposed to be worked through quickly. Not like this.

I don't understand why his lawyers have anything to do with his student disciplinary hearing anyways. I'm sure it differs from state to state but the ones I've dealt with allow legal council but only as an advisory capacity. They don't speak for the student and they don't do any kind of asking for continuances or anything like that.

From my understanding, that's what it sounds like for Florida State, too (at least for the advisory capacity). Not being a student, alumnus, or even a resident of the state of Florida, I couldn't tell you if they're making allowances they would not for any other student. (I'd like it if they were not.)

HeySeuss

From my understanding, that's what it sounds like for Florida State, too (at least for the advisory capacity). Not being a student, alumnus, or even a resident of the state of Florida, I couldn't tell you if they're making allowances they would not for any other student. (I'd like it if they were not.)

I thought I had read that his lawyer was the one that got the initial hearing pushed back. Maybe my bitterness has clouded my memory tho.

Balphon

The rivalry got to the refs too!!!

One more game to go!!!!

UCLA wins next week, Pac 12 guarantees a spot in the playoffs. And it's Troy Aikman week

UCLA would almost certainly need losses from Ohio State and Miss. State to make the playoff.

But then again, who the hell knows what the committee is going to suddenly decide to care about from week to week.

UCLA would almost certainly need losses from Ohio State and Miss. State to make the playoff.

But then again, who the hell knows what the committee is going to suddenly decide to care about from week to week.
It wasn't for UCLA filling the spot :( . Oregon has gotten our number and they are rooting for UCLA to beat Stanford

mre

The thing about student disciplinary hearings is that he doesn't have to meet the criminal standard of beyond reasonable doubt, it only needs to meet the preponderance of evidence which is just 51% likely that he committed the offense.

I realize that its a high profile case but damn. Title XI cases are supposed to be worked through quickly. Not like this.
Every college I've attended has afforded its students the option to have counsel involved with disciplinary hearings. When you have a possible civil trial looming in your future it makes sense to have your attorney present to make sure you don't weaken your defense in the civil case by saying something stupid at the disciplinary hearing.

Addressing Randolph: I've said before I don't blame Jameis' attorney for moving the hearing. I blame the school for allowing the hearing to be moved not once but twice once Jameis' attorney realized he fucked up.

Also, most college players aren't Heisman winners. He's held to a higher standard than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom