• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 14: Brought to you by the letter I: Incidental and Insignificant

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year, Oregon and Bama are the best in the Pac-12 and SEC respectively, and also in the best four teams in the nation despite what happens this weekend.

I mean Bama is a lock as long as they don't lose to Mizzou. Ditto for Oregon not losing to whoever they are playing in their CCG.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I mean Bama is a lock as long as they don't lose to Mizzou. Ditto for Oregon not losing to whoever they are playing in their CCG.

the team they already lost to.

So, it really shouldn't count if they lose again, cause hey, the 1st doesn't count anyway!

also, #FreeUAB is trending. Shouldn't they go with #SaveUAB. The former can be interpreted as "Free UAB from having a football team"

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Or save UAB from the oppressive financial buburden of having a football team!

As a PSA, it appears as if the quick edit feature of GAF has finally been fixed.

Branduil

Seriously, so many problems would be solved by going to 8 teams, auto-bids for the power 5 and then 3 at-large selected by committee. As long as there are only 4 teams in the playoff it means that one of the power 5 conferences will have its champion left out. It's especially a bad look because a team like FSU could make the playoff despite easily being the worst of the power 5 just because they're undefeated.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So the cake is not a lie for once

B3y4mJ6CQAElrvP.jpg:large

Still its like that shitty car you owned that had all sorts of problems, but still got you from point a to b when you needed it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Seriously, so many problems would be solved by going to 8 teams, auto-bids for the power 5 and then 3 at-large selected by committee. As long as there are only 4 teams in the playoff it means that one of the power 5 conferences will have its champion left out. It's especially a bad look because a team like FSU could make the playoff despite easily being the worst of the power 5 just because they're undefeated.

Lol. Just because they are undefeated. Awesome.

What if they lose by a point due to a bad refereeing call?

Or due to an injury ala Laquan Treadwell for Ole Miss against LSU?

Injuries are part of the game. But if a referee does something extremely egregious and costs a team a game, then sure, consider it.

But the larger point is these games count. This isn't week 17 NFL with playoff teams resting their starters. Get out there and get after it, because a loss is unacceptable.

Jhriad

First off, the AP poll wasn't part of the BCS selection for most of the BCS's existence. Secondly, it's asinine to have a committee for four teams, especially when the committee seems to generally agree with the media poll anyway.

I was referring to the large influence a certain four letter network has on the polls. I'd much rather a smaller group of individuals actually go through the tape of every important game before they rank teams than Sports Information Directors and national media personnel that almost certainly don't watch all the games before they have to have their votes in so shortly after the games airing. Their opinions are more influenced by their perceptions of the teams than eyeballing the quality of each team individually. Read my post prior to the one you quoted and you'll note my concerns posted more directly there.

The committee has the time and opportunity to actually watch games and judge the quality of the teams for themselves and I'd trust that over the previous formula any day. It's silly that you're arguing for a different method of ranking them.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The committee has the time and opportunity to actually watch games and judge the quality of the teams for themselves and I'd trust that over the previous formula any day. It's silly that you're arguing for a different method of ranking them.
And yet they're reaching pretty much the same conclusion as the SIDs and media members...

It's becoming pretty clear pretty fast that four teams is just stupid. Even if everything were to play out so that there was no genuine controversy, you'd still be GUARANTEED to leave out a Power 5 champion. That's asinine.

edit: Also, I hope Nebraska lands a much bigger hire than Scott Frost.

It's becoming pretty clear pretty fast that four teams is just stupid. Even if everything were to play out so that there was no genuine controversy, you'd still be GUARANTEED to leave out a Power 5 champion. That's asinine.

edit: Also, I hope Nebraska lands a much bigger hire than Scott Frost.
Eh... Let's see how it plays out for a couple years. If that P5 champ has 2-3 or more losses, they shouldn't get anything.

What's wrong with that? The only thing stupid is the hand-wringing. I'm not arguing for 4 over 8, but a power 5 conference championship means exactly nothing. It's not hard to take the top 4, and it wouldn't be hard to take a top 8. Just take the top 8 from the AP poll and I'm satisfied. Winning the ACC or the Big Ten or the Pac 12 already gets you a trophy, and that's all it should get you. What business does the #22 ACC coastal champion or the #17 Big Ten west champion or the #47 SEC east champion have in playing for a national championship? None. None at all. Reward the top 4 or top 8. Any undefeated power 5 conference team will be there, and frankly, that's all the system needs to guarantee. I can only think of once where the old BCS system excluded an undefeated power conference team, and that team was Auburn. That's what the 4 team playoff fixes. If and when all power conferences produce an undefeated champion, or Notre Dame goes undefeated with 4 or more undefeated champions, then we have another problem on our hands. I don't see that day coming, to be honest. But if it does, I'm fine with 8. Top 8. No guarantees.

ND should be locked out until they join a conference.

No way. If they did, they're contractually obligated to join the ACC, lawyers notwithstanding. But setting that aside, they play as tough of a schedule as anybody, so if they go undefeated, they should be in. If they go 11-1, they should receive the same consideration as other teams with the same record. They're not beating up on FCS teams, they can be judged fairly. And even though it would make things simpler, they shouldn't have to join a conference if it's financially better not to.

No way. If they did, they're contractually obligated to join the ACC, lawyers notwithstanding. But setting that aside, they play as tough of a schedule as anybody, so if they go undefeated, they should be in. If they go 11-1, they should receive the same consideration as other teams with the same record. They're not beating up on FCS teams, they can be judged fairly. And even though it would make things simpler, they shouldn't have to join a conference if it's financially better not to.
Their schedule clearly hasn't prepared them for major bowl games over the last 15 years given they have laid a goose egg all time in BCS appearances. Generally getting blown away to boot.

They should get honest and join a conference full time. I mean they basically half joined one now. Might as well go the full monte.

Until then, fuck em. Want in the playoffs, join a conference. There's their financial consideration.

Just imagine if we had a two team playoff this year. Undefeated FSU could very well be on the outside looking in even though the teams ahead of them have losses.

If and when all power conferences produce an undefeated champion ...

This is what I'm talking about, though. I don't give a rat's ass about some hypothetical 8-5 conference champ any more than the next guy; and I understand it's unlikely. I'm talking about the fact that it's written right into the DNA of the present system that you MUST leave out a P5 champion, even in the case of five undefeateds or five 1-loss teams.

Like Branduil said, should just be the P5 champs and three at-large.

This is what I'm talking about, though. I don't give a rat's ass about some hypothetical 8-5 conference champ any more than the next guy; and I understand it's unlikely. I'm talking about the fact that it's written right into the DNA of the present system that you MUST leave out a P5 champion, even in the case of five undefeateds or five 1-loss teams.

Like Branduil said, should just be the P5 champs and three at-large.
When has there been 5 or at the time 6 undefeated or 1 loss conference champs, though? Isn't that just as unlikely as a 3 or 4 loss P5 champ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom