• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 15: Championship Week - Cool as Nacho Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I really hope the SEC championship is a close one this year. I just don't think I can stomach Georgia fans if Alabama destroys Missouri.

All I keep hearing this week is how Georgia ran all over Missouri at Memorial Stadium and they should be representing the East. They fail to mention how the bulldogs were stomped by a Florida team who threw the ball a total of six times the whole game and lost to a sorry ass South Carolina team. Sorry guys, your team failed to take care of business week in and week out. Plus, losing to chop block U the way you did is just, well.... pathetic. So no, your Georgia Bulldogs don't deserve to be in the SEC Championship game.

Andy you are cool and all, but my Facebook feed just can't take all the Georgia salt anymore.

Back to back conference champs!

UCF UCF UCF

Congrats!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
You guys know what this topic is missing?

Stephen Silent Bob Garcia talkin bout dat SECSECHENNESSYSEC

Stephen Garcia's Turning Points in Alabama and Missouri's seasons
Stephen Garcia talkin bout da recruitin
Stephen Garcia making da predictions for da big game this end of weekin
Stephen Garcia talking Palmetto Bowl, which apparently is not a bowl full of palmetto's
Stephen Garcia talkin bout da Iron Bowl
Stephen Garcia talky bout a bowl of scrambled eggs
Stephen Garcia dictates once and for all, should Florida State be #1 in our hearts and minds?
Stephen Garcia talks about Championship Week through the marvels of Social Media #FlowingBeerMane
Stephen Garcia relieves the glory years, and how he was beat the fuck down with da liquid spirits

That's 49 minutes of the Hottest Stephen Garcia action this side of the Arena Football League.
South-Carolina-QB-Stephen-Garcia.jpg

andycapps

I really hope the SEC championship is a close one this year. I just don't think I can stomach Georgia fans if Alabama destroys Missouri.

All I keep hearing this week is how Georgia ran all over Missouri at Memorial Stadium and they should be representing the East. They fail to mention how the bulldogs were stomped by a Florida team who threw the ball a total of six times the whole game and lost to a sorry ass South Carolina team. Sorry guys, your team failed to take care of business week in and week out. Plus, losing to chop block U the way you did is just, well.... pathetic. So no, your Georgia Bulldogs don't deserve to be in the SEC Championship game.

Andy you are cool and all, but my Facebook feed just can't take all the Georgia salt anymore.

Hey man, I'm right there with you. We destroyed Mizzou, but it doesn't mean much if we fell flat on our face in our losses. Georgia football: dominating the teams that are tougher matchups, falling flat on our face to lesser teams.

That said, if Bama doesn't destroy Mizzou then I think that says more about how good Bama is than Mizzou. Mizzou is awful. Their one strength is their pass rush, which is very good. Otherwise, they have an absolutely incompetent offense.

Rumors stating Rutgers might not be playing in a bowl game this year.

If that's true, fuck the Big 10. No 7-5 team should have to stay home while 6-6 teams go bowling.

Rooting for Wisconsin big time. Sorry OSU fans. Rutgers shouldn't have to stay home.

JCX

Thursday night championship games?

(FRI) Bowling Green vs N Illinois by 10
(FRI) Arizona vs Oregon by 8
Louisiana Tech vs Marshall by 7
Houston @ Cincinnati by 7
Iowa State @ TCU by 17
Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma by 7
Alabama vs Missouri by 5
Kansas State @ Baylor by 7
Florida State vs Georgia Tech by 4
Wisconsin vs Ohio State by 7
Fresno State @ Boise State by 7

Ace 8095

If that's true, fuck the Big 10. No 7-5 team should have to stay home while 6-6 teams go bowling.

Rooting for Wisconsin big time. Sorry OSU fans. Rutgers shouldn't have to stay home.
Boo fucking hoo.

andycapps

Do you really want to lose another bowl game?

Chris R

What happened to the bowl game they created exclusively for Rutgers? Or did the Yankees not want to play host yet again?

Boo fucking hoo.

I agree, it's a shit thing for Rutgers to be shut out in favor of Illinois.

Do you really want to lose another bowl game?

Need those practices. Plus, I can't imagine what the Syracuse* coach will do with this in his pocket, "Even when Rutgers wins, they still can't go to bowls. That program has no juice, the first winning BCS team in years to get shut out of a bowl game."

*I would use Penn State or Maryland as examples, but they already clean Flood's clocks on the recruiting trail.

rhfb - Penn State is going to the Pinstripe.

What happened to Foster Farms(tm) @ Levi (TM) vs USC?

The Big Ten has nothing to do with selecting teams for bowls. It's a popularity contest.

Draxal

What happened to the bowl game they created exclusively for Rutgers? Or did the Yankees not want to play host yet again?

Pretty much reserved for PSU. Mind you it's a shitty place to play, and none of the NE schools (syracuse/rutgers/psu wants to go there). And we have been there 2/3 times, we don't want to make it 3/4, and neither do they or the B1G.

I agree, it's a shit thing for Rutgers to be shut out in favor of Illinois.

Need those practices. Plus, I can't imagine what the Syracuse* coach will do with this in his pocket, "Even when Rutgers wins, they still can't go to bowls. That program has no juice, the first winning BCS team in years to get shut out of a bowl game."

*I would use Penn State or Maryland as examples, but they already clean Flood's clocks on the recruiting trail.

rhfb - Penn State is going to the Pinstripe.

Syracuse is dying, Shaffer is a worse Flood.

What happened to Foster Farms(tm) @ Levi (TM) vs USC?

Not in the mix.

Pretty sure Rutgers is going to Dallas.

The Big Ten has nothing to do with selecting teams for bowls. It's a popularity contest.

The B1G should lobby for its teams.

Much like the old Big East used to lobby for Pitt over Rutgers by cutting deals with bowls to take local teams from their other tie ins so Pitt could go to the bowl. (see: tire bowl)

Draxal

The B1G should lobby for its teams.

Much like the old Big East used to lobby for Pitt over Rutgers by cutting deals with bowls to take local teams from their other tie ins so Pitt could go to the bowl. (see: tire bowl)

I don't think they can really lobby, all these bowls have contractual tie ins, and none of these bowls are unaffiliated as of this moment.

Mind you I still think it's a joke that we went bowling last year, that team was not a bowl team.

edit. I really don't want Foster Farms or Taxslayer, playing USC/Auburn is not what this team needs.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Reports out there that Kansas has hired David Beaty (WR coach from A&M) to be their head coach. Don't really know much about him, but apparently Aggie fans don't like that they lost him and he's known for being a great recruiter.

Between firing their DC, losing Beaty to Kansas, and having their OC apparently deep in talks to be the head coach at Tulsa, that A&M coaching staff is going to look a lot different next season.

Jhriad

I'm okay with this.

Twitter says Kyle Wittingham never met with UNL.

He would say that now though.

Supposedly the only person contacted was Riley and he was the #1 choice the entire time. At least we know no one was stupid enough to reach out to Fat Face.

Alright, I laughed.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Wut. On what basis?

Limedust

Good SB Nation article showing what the UA and Tuscaloosa Police Departments have to deal with on game days.

Officers greet LSU fans at the train station (Amtrak runs from New Orleans to Tuscaloosa) to explain the laws of Alabama as Tiger fans fill up the station, beers in hand.

This is the second-best dispatch call of the weekend, the first coming around 8:30 on Friday night: "Unidentified male in a Boise State hoodie walking up the highway with a machete. Plain-clothes officer is approaching."

When Auburn scores its second touchdown, Windbreaker tells a man in a blue and orange Auburn Santa outfit to go fuck himself.

Roll Tide.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Big Ten has too many eligible teams and not enough bowl contractual tie ins.

Seems like he would be hoping for Ohio State to win big and make the playoffs, then, as that would remove them from the pool of teams eligible for the bowl tie-ins.

cdyhybrid

We're potentially facing the same thing =\

If it's any consolation, 7-5 and 6-6 teams have no business being anywhere near bowls anyway.

There are worries in the ACC about one of the 11 teams getting left out, complicated by the fact that Notre Dame gets to be included in the mix (making it a de facto 12 eligible teams), but it might work out, either because of bowl tie-in kickers or slots unfilled in other bowls by other conferences.

tokkun

Seems like he would be hoping for Ohio State to win big and make the playoffs, then, as that would remove them from the pool of teams eligible for the bowl tie-ins.

ESPN says that Wisconsin winning would allow all the B1G teams to get bowls. It's kind of complicated because there are stipulations between certain bowls, like if a B1G team gets into the Orange Bowl then they can't also place one in the Citrus.

ESPN says that Wisconsin winning would allow all the B1G teams to get bowls. It's kind of complicated because there are stipulations between certain bowls, like if a B1G team gets into the Orange Bowl then they can't also place one in the Citrus.

Right, and that is actually helping the ACC. If Big Ten takes an Orange slot, the ACC takes a Citrus slot. There's also a couple of bowls out west with tie-ins with smaller conferences that do not have enough eligible teams, so it's probably going to work out for all eligible ACC teams this year.

OSU loses, they'll still make a NY-6. So will Mich State. As will Wisconsin.

That's 3 teams in NY-6.

If it's any consolation, 7-5 and 6-6 teams have no business being anywhere near bowls anyway.

From the traditionalist perspective, hell yeah, if you're "good" you need to get yourself to 8 wins these days. The gap between 9-4 and 8-5 is roughly the same gap as between 10-6 and 9-7 in the NFL imo, the line that separates "good" from "okay." You should at least be "okay" to make a bowl, ffs. 7-5 sucks unless you suck and it's good because you're usually going 4-8.

But in let's say modern terms where everyone knows this is all about money, so long as bowls are profitable for the schools to play in, and profitable for the host, there's gonna be enough bowls for 6-6 and 7-5 teams to get into them.

Draxal

G5 teams are usually the first to be left out.

They are, but the tie ins make this so utterly confusing this year, and the G5's were smart and got as many tie ins as possible.

From the traditionalist perspective, hell yeah, if you're "good" you need to get yourself to 8 wins these days. The gap between 9-4 and 8-5 is roughly the same gap as between 10-6 and 9-7 in the NFL imo, the line that separates "good" from "okay." You should at least be "okay" to make a bowl, ffs. 7-5 sucks unless you suck and it's good because you're usually going 4-8.

But in let's say modern terms where everyone knows this is all about money, so long as bowls are profitable for the schools to play in, and profitable for the host, there's gonna be enough bowls for 6-6 and 7-5 teams to get into them.

The 15 extra practices are pretty big for 6-6 and 7-5 teams as well. I will say this 7-5 Rutgers team is 1,000 times more deserving than last year's team.

The 15 extra practices are pretty big for 6-6 and 7-5 teams as well. I will say this 7-5 Rutgers team is 1,000 times more deserving than last year's team.

My "plan," as outlined before, is for bowls to require teams with 9 wins. Get rid of all other bowls because nobody cares. For teams that don't get to participate, they get to extend spring practice by a week or two.

Draxal

My "plan," as outlined before, is for bowls to require teams with 9 wins. Get rid of all other bowls because nobody cares. For teams that don't get to participate, they get to extend spring practice by a week or two.

I like that especially since we will have a ton of early enrollees.

Kacar

Glad Kansas found a coach. They had been targeting Warriner our O-Line coach who is out of this world apparently.

Cowturd trolling by talking like Bellicheck to UM

If no one cared then the Bowls would go away. Obviously they make enough money to be worth someones time and effort to keep going.

Draxal

Might as well get rid of organized sports at any level.

Well, they are a tertiary leech in this regard as they are making profits off this independent of the schools/ncaa/players, I'd favor an expanded playoffs over the current bowl system, and I'm personally not in favor an expanded playoff in the first place.

Lunar15

I don't think Muschamp is a terrible coach. He got a lot of talent to Florida and he cleaned up that garbage locker room. McElwain will probably have instant success at Florida.

I agree with this. Muschamp's a good man. Shame about his offense, but he's a brilliant defensive mind. I think that he will end up as a good Head Coach one day.

If no one cared then the Bowls would go away. Obviously they make enough money to be worth someones time and effort to keep going.

Noted. People watch because it's college football and it's on, but nobody cares. The economics might make sense for ESPN and the bowls, but just from a sense of athletic accomplishment, going 6-6 or 7-5 against a schedule with 2 or 3 FCS teams and some lower rung G5 teams doesn't exactly come across as a good season. Teams 2-6 or 3-6 in conference and 4-0 or 3-0 against FCS/G5 schools don't belong in a postseason.

But just to cherry-pick one particular bowl from last year, check out these New Year's ratings and I think you'd agree the world wouldn't miss the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

Code:
Rating	Viewers	Time	Network	Bowl & Teams	
5.6	9.59M	1PM	ABC	Capital One Bowl, Wisconsin vs South Carolina
3.2	5.44M	1PM	ESPN	Outback Bowl, Iowa vs LSU
2.6	4.52M	12PM	ESPN2	Gator Bowl, Nebraska	 vs Georgia
0.2	332K	12PM	ESPNU	Heart of Dallas Bowl, UNLV vs North Texas

Most of the other irrelevant bowls still managed to get in the 1s range in ratings, but that's still a far cry from the bowls people actually watch, which involve teams that actually won a decent number of games in the regular season.

(Source of ratings.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom