• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 15: Championship Week - Cool as Nacho Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5890

Under the old system, FSU would have been in.

Cause under the old system it was a bunch of human and computer polls that had FSU #2.

because without this committee the idea of teams jumping FSU never happens to begin with (yes, it has influenced the polls too for some reason)

Ok fair enough. I never understood why they were as low as #4 last week. While they haven't been dominant they won every game this year and that does matter.

Enfinit

As much of a cluster as this is, can you imagine if this were last year. Given that Florida State is #3 would they have really excluded the only undefeated and defending national champion from the championship game? Oregon for sure would've been bumped, right?
If this were like last year, the BCS system would still be in place and FSU would be #2 under the current rankings. The championship game would be FSU vs. Alabama.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
ttk said I could pick the thread title, or make the thread. I opted to just give the thread title. If y'all had to wait on me to make a thread, it would get posted sometime in March.
Pm me the thread title. Posting New thread tonight.

I understand but as mentioned above they couldnt have petitioned for it?

How do you petition the organization that said you can't do something and expect a different answer? The Big 12 asked if they could play a CCG and the NCAA said no. A petition would just be asking "are you sure?"

If this were like last year, the BCS system would still be in place and FSU would be #2 under the current rankings. The championship game would be FSU vs. Alabama.

Ah, good. Yeah, FSU at #3 vs. #2 doesn't make a difference and placing them at #3 was probably a "yeah, you are undefeated, but you are undefeated in the ACC (and barely)".

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Yeah and if fsu does too, same. Captain obvious level posts around here right now.

You can't make a logical argument to keep an undefeated defending champion out of a 4-team playoff though. I don't care how much hate FSU gets or how much Oregon pounds the seminoles into the ground, FSU had to be in the mix.

a one-loss OSU team on their third-string QB is different. The only thing that remedies this for the committee is the buckeyes beating the tide.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think that OSU deserved to be #4. I have been big on them for 6 wins now, and I personally can't stand them. They absolutely destroyed Wisconsin and I personally believe that the Bama game will be close. Hell, I could see them winning it, too. Not like Alabama hasn't looked beatable this year...

Slurmer

Banned
lost 4 of their last 5. And that's not to mention that their one title win was on of the most famously blown calls of all time. But Congrats on beating that one overrated notre dame team or that 4 loss Kstate team all those years back!

They beat Oregon in 2010 and Arkansas in 2011 BCS bowls. Thats 2 of their last 3 bcs bowls. Arkansas lost to terelle pryor breh.

It's slightly worse, but the point is that OSU's OOC schedule is nothing to write home about either. It's a point that should have never been brought up by the committee, because it is ridiculous. They all played weak teams and OSU even managed to lose.

"slightly worse?" baylor and TCU both played against FCS teams and a 1-11 team while two of ohio state's OOC opponents are probably going to bowls (and all were in the FBS)

i saw a stat last night showing out of all FBS teams, osu's OOC strength was ranked in the 50s while tcu/baylor's were in the 110s.

that's not slight.
TCU's 30-7 win against Minn is as good as any tOSU win bar that dismantlin of Wiscy yesterday.

At the end of the day, the Committee fucked up by putting TCU 3rd.

now that's a fair point, though i'd argue that OSU's win over MSU was very slightly more impressive

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I love how everyone in sports threads have these crystal balls. The EXACT same things were being said about him against Wisconsin not even 24 hours ago.

Might as well just cancel the game.

Exactly, just give us the Vagina Trophy already. It is inevitable that we will win.

I think that OSU deserved to be #4. I have been big on them for 6 wins now, and I personally can't stand them. They absolutely destroyed Wisconsin and I personally believe that the Bama game will be close. Hell, I could see them winning it, too. Not like Alabama hasn't looked beatable this year...

You mean because of the double overtime win against Penn State, the near miss with Minnesota, or the closer than a top 4 team should have against Indiana and Michigan? I'll agree that the wins against Michigan State and particularly Wisconsin were great, but I'm a bit annoyed at the newly discovered dialogue that Ohio State has been a top team since their loss to VT.

(Yes, I know about TCU's close game with Kansas, and Baylor's close game against TT, but those were blips compared to Ohio State's multiple game run).

You mean because of the double overtime win against Penn State, the near miss with Minnesota, or the closer than a top 4 team should have against Indiana and Michigan? I'll agree that the wins against Michigan State and particularly Wisconsin were great, but I'm a bit annoyed at the newly discovered dialogue that Ohio State has been a top team since their loss to VT.

(Yes, I know about TCU's close game with Kansas, and Baylor's close game against TT, but those were blips compared to Ohio State's multiple game run).
Newly discovered? Did you miss the polls or the selection committee's opinions?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I don't envy them having to choose.. you had 3 for SURE teams and 3 ALMOST SURE teams.

Personally, I think they got it right.. as much as that sucks for Baylor and TCU.

I mean honestly, that win over Wisconsin.. backup QB.. and DOMINATED a GOOD team... that HAS to mean something.. it was a statement at the right time. and honestly.. games at the end DO matter more.. and SHOULD matter more. Because really, we are ranking the best teams... it's got to be the best team right now.

Draconian

Oh okay, I just read that the BCS championship got discontinued, and assumed that CFB did something really stupid which they always do, and create a playoff where there isn't an advancing final round.

Haha, I see. That'd be very Big XIIish of them to create a playoff like that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
If your quarterback can throw perfectly place deep balls, especially to 6'3"+ tall receivers, you can beat our secondary.

Or any other secondary.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Wat? Beating the SEC East champ is exactly why OSU is #4 in the first place.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
What if the quarterback on our team ain't come to play school
and also has a goddamn cannon arm
?
Then you'll pput some yards on us. But you'd better end those bombs in the end zone or you run the risk of settling for field goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom