• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 15: Championship Week - Cool as Nacho Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
This result also confirms the devaluing of the regular season. Basically you can be mediocre all year (maybe even losing a game or two), get hot the last couple of weeks and make it in.

One thing the BCS nailed was looking at the complete body of work. Game 1 in the season was as important as Game 12. It does suck that the first few games don't hold the importance or meaning they did back in the BCS era. Was fun back when Colorado State could prevent Colorado from getting a national championship. Less fun this year when an average Virginia Tech can't ruin the Big 10 champion's season.
This is complete bs. The bcs failed incredibly at judging the complete body of work because they literally kept polls the similar based on previous polls that existed before any games were played.

The selection committee did a great job judging the body of work. TCU beat 1 top 25 team. They deserved to be 6.

ThisOne

It wouldn't have made a difference. Even if TCU was 4 this week the result would have been the same.

When 2 ranked top 25 teams play each other...the winner will most of the time move up from their current ranking. This pretty much applies to any week of the season.

4 FSU beat 11 GT = FSU moves from 4 to 3.
5 OSU beat 13 Wisc = OSU moves from 5 to 4
6 BAY beat 9 KSU = BAY moves from 6 to 5.

3 TCU beat Iowa ST = Who cares..its 2-10 Iowa St.

TCU has no one but themselves to blame. They choked earlier in the season when they lost to Baylor. If they would have won they would have been in the playoffs right now. Thats all there is to it.

But Ohio State and Baylor get pardons for their losses (which are uglier than TCU's loss)?

why?

It wouldn't have made a difference. Even if TCU was 4 this week the result would have been the same.

When 2 ranked top 25 teams play each other...the winner will most of the time move up from their current ranking. This pretty much applies to any week of the season.

4 FSU beat 11 GT = FSU moves from 4 to 3.
5 OSU beat 13 Wisc = OSU moves from 5 to 4
6 BAY beat 9 KSU = BAY moves from 6 to 5.

3 TCU beat Iowa ST = Who cares..its 2-10 Iowa St.

TCU has no one but themselves to blame. They choked earlier in the season when they lost to Baylor. If they would have won they would have been in the playoffs right now. Thats all there is to it.

It would have never played out that way under any system other than this one. Under the old poll format, there's no way a team that wins 55-3 drops 3 places. None. (There's also little chance an undefeated Florida State team ever would have dropped off the top line, so perhaps TCU is never 3 to begin with.)

TCU has every right to feel jilted. They did what they were supposed to do and dropped like a rock. They could have won by 1000 yesterday and Florida State could have won on blatant referee misconduct and the Noles would have been in ahead of TCU. There was simply no chance an undefeated Florida State would have been left out, and therefore should have not being ranked behind a team clearly on the chopping block.

To be clear, I have no issue with Ohio State over TCU in the final ranking in a vacuum. Ohio State has been on a recent tear. I just value logical consistency, and there is nothing logical about what happened with TCU these past two weeks.

ThisOne

To be clear, I have no issue with Ohio State over TCU in the final ranking. Ohio State has been on a recent tear. I just value logical consistency, and there is nothing logical about what happened with TCU these past two weeks.

Sums up my feelings. It will never happen because of TV ratings and money, but the the Playoff Selection Committee should only release one set of rankings (at the end of the season) rather than weekly rankings that seem random in a lot of ways.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Tell that to 3-loss Ole Miss, who went on to get blanked by 6-6 Arkansas by 30. Lol.

This Alabama team is as beatable a anyone else in the top 4 (outside of unbeatable FSU, of course)

Still don't know how OJ Howard let a sub 6' guy out jump him from behind for that interception.

Okay, thread title time. Gimme a vote or a suggestion:

CFB Bowl Season |OT| Where the rankings are made up and the losses don’t matter

CFB Bowl Season |OT| A dangerous precedent

CFB Bowl Season |OT| Everything’s Bigger in Texas, Including the Tears

CFB Bowl Season |OT| Good thing Cardale ain’t come to play school

It would have never played out that way under any system other than this one. Under the old poll format, there's no way a team that wins 55-3 drops 3 places. None. (There's also little chance an undefeated Florida State team ever would have dropped off the top line, so perhaps TCU is never 3 to begin with.)

TCU has every right to feel jilted. They did what they were supposed to do and dropped like a rock. They could have won by 1000 yesterday and Florida State could have won on blatant referee misconduct and the Noles would have been in ahead of TCU. There was simply no chance an undefeated Florida State would have been left out, and therefore should have not being ranked behind a team clearly on the chopping block.

To be clear, I have no issue with Ohio State over TCU in the final ranking in a vacuum. Ohio State has been on a recent tear. I just value logical consistency, and there is nothing logical about what happened with TCU these past two weeks.

I think the Committee putting TCU 3rd last week was in the expectation that FSU would lose against GT, thereby promoting either Baylor/tOSU to 4th and keeping TCU 3rd.

With all teams winning their games and by decisive margins, it made it much harder for the committee to keep TCU 3rd/ FSU 4th.

2 or 4. 1 has been done (SEC losses) and 3 doesn't speak to me.

I feel pretty certain that the first one there has been used recently re: SECSECSEC ranking shenanigans.

ThisOne

I think the Committee putting TCU 3rd last week was in the expectation that FSU would lose against GT, thereby promoting either Baylor/tOSU to 4th and keeping TCU 3rd.

With all teams winning their games and by decisive margins, it made it much harder for the committee to keep TCU 3rd/ FSU 4th.

Ranking a team in a certain position because you expect them to lose? Hopefully the committee doesn't do any sort of thing.

Pls.

Ksharp gave us an incredible gift (in addition to his consistently hot takes) and we can't just ignore it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If we are really talking strength of schedule and who they played,then Miss St should be in over TCU or Baylor

EDIT: NM, completely forget Ol' Miss whipped that ass.

ThisOne

Ok then why isn't Baylor in? They have better wins than Ohio State and a better loss.

It honestly feels like splitting hairs at this point. When the field size is so small (four teams) there are bound to be at least a few that feel like they deserve to be in. Same thing happens every year with NCAA basketball and it's a much bigger field.

The biggest failure of the Playoff for me, is the rankings that are released weekly. They don't seem to serve any purpose other than to fuel endless talk on ESPN.

If that's the case, and who knows what they were thinking, they shouldn't have had that expectation. Rank them with the expectation that everybody wins. A losing Florida State is just as easy to move out from #3 as they are from #4, and the others would move right in.

Kacar

Ok then why isn't Baylor in? They have better wins than Ohio State and a better loss.

They beat TCU(6) at home and came from 21 down in the last ten minutes.

OSU beat MSU(7) on road by 12 and led/dominated in 2nd half.

Wiscy/KSU wins are pretty even but OSU pitched a shut out. Same for Minnesota/Oklahoma being similar.

I would say OSU has better wins.

Draxal

This result also confirms the devaluing of the regular season. Basically you can be mediocre all year (maybe even losing a game or two), get hot the last couple of weeks and make it in.

One thing the BCS nailed was looking at the complete body of work. Game 1 in the season was as important as Game 12. It does suck that the first few games don't hold the importance or meaning they did back in the BCS era. Was fun back when Colorado State could prevent Colorado from getting a national championship. Less fun this year when an average Virginia Tech can't ruin the Big 10 champion's season.

EDIT: Also I hope the Big 12 isn't pressured into expanding when there really is no need. If they feel pressured to add a 10th game (as a championship or maybe a rematch of the top two ranked teams in the league) that's fine, but why devalue your conference with shitty teams.

Big 10 has been down in recent years and they didn't do themselves any favors (strength-wise) adding Maryland and Rutgers.

Maryland and Rutgers both went 7-5 so herp derp some more.

alstein

What they really out to do is standardize the conferences at 14 a piece

Force the Pac-12 to take BYU and someone else (SDSU?)
Big 12 would add Cincy, Louisville, Houston, and SMU.

Then it's fair for all the power conferences.

cashman

Banned
If Notre Dame refused the Big Ten all of those years they won't go to the Big 12. I would like to see them add Cincy and either Houston or SMU (I know they suck but maybe some big tv money could bring them back). If they want they could try and grab Northern Illinois and break into the Chicago market.

Houston and SMU would be terrible additions. The Big XII is better off standing pat than adding those two in. Northern Illinois wouldn't do much either.

Draxal

So who does the Big 12 add now besides UTSA? Cincy?

BYU if they can work around the Sunday thing.

Otherwise they work on building that bridge to WVU with Cincy and some other team. Memphis makes location sense.

Huge problem with the B12 is how to make their divisions.

They are going to have a b12 north/south issue but they won't have Nebraska anymore. Baylor/TCU would have been in the same division in most scenarios.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It honestly feels like splitting hairs at this point. When the field size is so small (four teams) there are bound to be at least a few that feel like they deserve to be in. Same thing happens every year with NCAA basketball and it's a much bigger field.

The biggest failure of the Playoff for me, is the rankings that are released weekly. They don't seem to serve any purpose other than to fuel endless talk on ESPN.

That is the sole reason. Regardless of how big the CFB weekend was, come monday all anyone is talking about is the NFL. The rankings the past couple weeks , especially last week changed that. And honestly I like the fact that the precedent was set that Ohio St had a shitty week two loss and still made it, they were clearly a better team now than then. CFB was pretty much the only sport that wouldn't recognize that.

Gobias

Banned
I don't even see why TCU is in the discussion. They lost to the best team they played and beat one ranked team. The discussion between Baylor and Ohio State is close though.

cashman

Banned
What they really out to do is standardize the conferences at 14 a piece

Force the Pac-12 to take BYU and someone else (SDSU?)
Big 12 would add Cincy, Louisville, Houston, and SMU.

Then it's fair for all the power conferences.

Pac 12 schools really don't want to let a religious school in. Big XII is their best shot.

I don't even see why TCU is in the discussion. They lost to the best team they played and beat one ranked team. The discussion between Baylor and Ohio State is close though.

I would agree, but why rank TCU #3? That made no fucking sense if they didn't feel that TCU was the 3rd best team, and it turns out they didn't. Bcause TCU did nothing to hurt their status.
I think Baylor got hosed, but the TCU shenanigans are inexplicable.

I think the Big 12 is just going to have to beg the NCAA for a rule change so they can get a championship game in spite of only having 10 teams.

Their expansion options are bleak and it's clear that playing a round robin schedule isn't going to be enough.

Draxal

I'm a Big Ten guy above all else but those two teams had soft Non-conference schedules.

Rutgers beat Wazzu in Seattle, Maryland lost close to WV at home, the bottom feeders in the Big East are better in the Big West.

But this is besides the point, tOSU is clearly way better than any other school in the Big Ten. Should TCU and Baylor should be penalized for how awful Iowa State and Kansas are?

I think the Big 12 is just going to have to beg the NCAA for a rule change so they can get a championship game in spite of only having 10 teams.

Their expansion options are bleak and it's clear that playing a round robin schedule isn't going to be enough.

They did it got denied, it's just due to the round robin situation. Pretty sure the ACC asked for the same thing as well, as they wanted to rotate the schools more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom