• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 15: Championship Week - Cool as Nacho Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

What hurt TCU this week was that they played a weak ass 2-10 Iowa St team. While everyone else in the mix played good ranked opponents. Especially OSU who had the most impressive win vs good Wisconsin team. Since this whole process is a weekly rankings system..than it makes perfect sense to drop TCU from 3 to 6. Everyone else did enough to be moved up. TCU didn't do enough to stay at 3 because blowing out a 2-10 team is just not worthy of anything.

Then you'll pput some yards on us. But you'd better end those bombs in the end zone or you run the risk of settling for field goals.

On that note, I'd feel a lot less confident about OSU having a shot of winning this game if Tressel was still the coach, because then they wouldn't just be settling for field goals - they'd go onto the field probably intending to only take field goals.

If your quarterback can throw perfectly place deep balls, especially to 6'3"+ tall receivers, you can beat our secondary.

Or any other secondary.

Well, if last night was any indication (it probably won't be), he can throw a lot of well-placed deep balls to 6'1" and 6'2" receivers

cashman

Banned
As a Okie State Alum, all I have to say is Bowlsby is a dumbfuck, plain and simple. One True Champion is a stupid slogan that he backtracked on.

Good Job, No championship game just cost you a playoff spot, maybe next year you can watch it happen again. Should have taken Louisville and someone else (BYU) when you had the chance.

Personally I think Alabama will wreck Ohio State, but maybe Urban will pull off a miracle.

Bowlsby is just a patsy in all this. Blame Deloss Dodds for not exapnding the conference. Hopefully Patterson wisens up.

Josh5890

What are the current contractual obligations for a four-team playoff, if any?

Looks to be Oregon -7.

This is coming from Wikipedia
The playoff system is contracted to be in place through at least the 2025 season per an agreement with ESPN, which owns the rights to broadcast all games.[11] The network reportedly paid $7.3 billion overall for the 12-year TV rights

I'll bet me house that if they had a plan to make it an 8 team playoff setting ESPN wouldn't get in the way.

Dysun

I'd pick OSU over TCU and Baylor in H2H matchups, so I'm okay with it. Last weeks ranking of TCU at #3 makes no sense though

Jesse Palmer thinks Ohio State should have been out because they loss to VT.

But Jesse, they weren't playing Stanford football back then!

ThisOne

What hurt TCU this week was that they played a weak ass 2-10 Iowa St team. While everyone else in the mix played good ranked opponents. Especially OSU who had the most impressive win vs good Wisconsin team. Since this whole process is a weekly rankings system..than it makes perfect sense to drop TCU from 3 to 6. Everyone else did enough to be moved up. TCU didn't do enough to stay at 3 because blowing out a 2-10 team is just not worthy of anything.

But how was that TCU's fault? Baylor, Ohio State, etc. all played bad teams throughout the season but since they didn't play them last, they deserve to be ranked ahead of TCU?

I think they should scrap the weekly Playoff rankings. Just have it like college basketball where there is one selection Sunday. That way, you won't have the case of TCU arbitrarily being ranked 3rd and then arbitrarily falling to 6th.

Ganhyun

Big 12 shoulda crowned a champion instead of trying to fence sit to try and convince the committee to put their teams in.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Can't muster up enough teams to justify a conference championship game and allowing scum like Iowa State into the conference... wtf BIG 12.

Josh5890

What really sucks is that I can't simulate my own football playoff anymore since there isn't a college football game anymore.

It's amazing how all of these analysts want to discount Baylor's shitty OOC, or TCU's loss to Baylor, because those were in the past and don't matter, BUT WAIT VIRGINIA TECH YOU GUYS

Draconian

It's amazing how all of these analysts want to discount Baylor's shitty OOC, or TCU's loss to Baylor, because those were in the past and don't matter, BUT WAIT VIRGINIA TECH YOU GUYS

Yeah, just as amazing as Jeff Long ducking and diving when asked about OSU losing to a garbage team.

Slurmer

Banned
Im an osu fan so I am cool with them making it, but I feel like Baylor should have made it. They got screwed by the big xii's unwillingness to classify them as the champ.

Karl2177

I'm sorry to Oklahoma State, for having the worst loss in the 2011 season. I'm sorry for TCU for playing us in the final week instead of a conference championship game. Congratulations to Ohio State for having the worst loss of competing teams, and getting in despite that arbitrary reason for not including it in the past. Congratulations to the NCAA for saying that conferences with less than 12 teams cannot have a conference championship game and allowing someone deserving to get screwed out of a chance.

8 teams, Power 5 champs + 3 wildcards.

PS Kirk Herbstreit is an idiot.

Josh5890

Nah, I say we should keep holding out for Notre Dame to join.

If Notre Dame refused the Big Ten all of those years they won't go to the Big 12. I would like to see them add Cincy and either Houston or SMU (I know they suck but maybe some big tv money could bring them back). If they want they could try and grab Northern Illinois and break into the Chicago market.

What hurt TCU this week was that they played a weak 2-10 Iowa St team. While everyone else in the mix played good ranked opponents. Especially OSU who had the most impressive win vs good Wisconsin team. Since this whole process is a weekly rankings system..than it makes perfect sense to drop TCU from 3 to 6. Everyone else did enough to be moved up. TCU didn't do enough to stay at 3 because blowing out a 2-10 team is just not worthy of anything.

Their opponent this week was irrelevant. It's one game, and TCU handled them they way you'd expect a top team to handle a bad opponent.

The fact is the committee never should have put TCU #3 last week, and that's all there is to it. If their position was the most tenuous, and it clearly was, then they had to be 4. If they were 4 last week, them moving out this week in favor of Ohio State isn't a big deal. If there was no chance of an undefeated Florida State team being left out, Florida State needed to be 3 last week, and TCU should have been 4 and the writing would have been very clear on the wall.

As it stands, you have the #3 team winning a game it was supposed to win by a margin it was supposed to win by and dropping 3 spots. That's a bad, highly illogical look.

After how all this has played out, I think it is clear that the playoff needs to be 8 teams, with the five power conference champs and three at large being the most obvious format. The Big 12 needs a CC asap. Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl would serve as the national quaterfinals. Weekly rankings would be out, and instead would get the 3 at large selection and final seeding after the CCGs.

Something like this if used for this season:
(1) Alabama(CC) vs (8) Miss St -- Sugar Bowl
(2) Oregon(CC) vs (7) MSU -- Rose Bowl
(3) FSU(CC) vs (6) TCU -- Orange Bowl
(4) OSU(CC) vs (5) Baylor(CC) -- Fiesta Bowl

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Good wins far outweigh Bad losses. As they should. Committee has made that clear since day 1. Not sure what's so hard to grasp about it.

inm8num2

I think having TCU at #3 last week was less about TCU and more about sending a message about FSU and teams not being in simply if they're undefeated. It still wasn't a good move, but hopefully the committee realizes that.

MIMIC

Banned
The only fuck up by the committee was putting TCU at No. 3. But technically, it runs completely with their week-to-week evaluation.

"This week, TCU looks better than Florida State." Because FSU looked shaky...AGAIN. And TCU won convincingly.

And come the next week, everyone knew that conference championship wins would weight more heavily. "THIS week, FSU won their championship. Baylor won their championship. And Ohio State won theirs in a crushing manner."

And TCU didn't, and are thus behind those that did. And I think that if if Baylor beat KState like how Ohio State beat Wisconsin, they'd be No. 4 right now.

EDIT: I kept mistaking Baylor-KState for a CC game. Whoops, lol

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
After how all this has played out, I think it is clear that the playoff needs to be 8 teams, with the five power conference champs and three at large being the most obvious format. The Big 12 needs a CC asap. Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl would serve as the national quaterfinals. Weekly rankings would be out, and instead would get the 3 at large selection and final seeding after the CCGs.

Why 2 rematches?

Alcibiades

Not really a fan of championship games over just playing another in-conference team, especially when a round-robin is possible. That was what made the PAC-10 so great. Everyone plays everyone.

Ohio State-Wisconsin was alright since we hadn't seen that game, but I had no interest in seeing Oregon play Arizona again.

The conferences have gotten too big IMO. The PAC-10 was fine without Utah and Colorado.

That said, I am looking forward to the playoff.

I think having TCU at #3 last week was less about TCU and more about sending a message about FSU and teams not being in simply if they're undefeated. It still wasn't a good move, but hopefully the committee realizes that.

It's an empty message, because Florida State won by 2 and moved up. Granted that Georgia Tech was ranked, and I'm a Florida State fan, but come on.

Any message should have been who is least likely to get included, and that was clearly TCU.

switch the two MSUs to avoid rematches lol

Why 2 rematches?

Just a hypothetical look, based on today's selections and the 5-8 rankings in the polls, not necessarily what I'd choose. I never want to see a rematch in the bowl games, but I feel it would be more acceptable in a quarterfinal versus a final four setup.

If Notre Dame refused the Big Ten all of those years they won't go to the Big 12. I would like to see them add Cincy and either Houston or SMU (I know they suck but maybe some big tv money could bring them back). If they want they could try and grab Northern Illinois and break into the Chicago market.
Obviously ND wouldn't join. But that's why there are only 10 teams in the Big 12 right now. Dodds wouldn't let any expansion go through that didn't include them..

yuraya

Their opponent this week was irrelevant. It's one game, and TCU handled them they way you'd expect a top team to handle a bad opponent.

The fact is the committee never should have put TCU #3 last week, and that's all there is to it. If their position was the most tenuous, and it clearly was, then they had to be 4. If they were 4 last week, them moving out this week in favor of Ohio State isn't a big deal. If there was no chance of an undefeated Florida State team being left out, Florida State needed to be 3 last week, and TCU should have been 4 and the writing would have been very clear on the wall.

As it stands, you have the #3 team winning a game it was supposed to win by a margin it was supposed to win by and dropping 3 spots. That's a bad, highly illogical look.

It wouldn't have made a difference. Even if TCU was 4 this week the result would have been the same.

When 2 ranked top 25 teams play each other...the winner will most of the time move up from their current ranking. This pretty much applies to any week of the season.

4 FSU beat 11 GT = FSU moves from 4 to 3.
5 OSU beat 13 Wisc = OSU moves from 5 to 4
6 BAY beat 9 KSU = BAY moves from 6 to 5.

3 TCU beat Iowa ST = Who cares..its 2-10 Iowa St.

TCU has no one but themselves to blame. They choked earlier in the season when they lost to Baylor. If they would have won they would have been in the playoffs right now. Thats all there is to it.

Alcibiades

This result also confirms the devaluing of the regular season. Basically you can be mediocre all year (maybe even losing a game or two), get hot the last couple of weeks and make it in.

One thing the BCS nailed was looking at the complete body of work. Game 1 in the season was as important as Game 12. It does suck that the first few games don't hold the importance or meaning they did back in the BCS era. Was fun back when Colorado State could prevent Colorado from getting a national championship. Less fun this year when an average Virginia Tech can't ruin the Big 10 champion's season.

EDIT: Also I hope the Big 12 isn't pressured into expanding when there really is no need. If they feel pressured to add a 10th game (as a championship or maybe a rematch of the top two ranked teams in the league) that's fine, but why devalue your conference with shitty teams.

Big 10 has been down in recent years and they didn't do themselves any favors (strength-wise) adding Maryland and Rutgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom