• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 2: Everyone Exposed but Idaho (and UCF, but they got Sandusky'd)

It was Rice. Rice. All that matters at the end of the day is the W but it's early to be speculating about the Heisman going to anyone especially with only a single performance against a very overmatched opponent.

The same goes for my team, Nebraska, except we don't recruit nearly as well. I still don't expect anyone to think we're world beaters because we drilled FAU. If a team has a history of stumbling against good (or bad) competition then people aren't going to expect much from them and it's up to the team to prove the naysayers wrong on the field. They get 12 (maybe 13 or 14) chances to prove their worth every year but Notre Dame and Nebraska have yet to prove themselves to be worth considering Top Tier programs. One day we'll clear that last hurdle and be where we want to be, where we once were, but until then it's best we remain level-headed and recognize both the strengths and weaknesses of our respective teams and continue to cheer, and hope, for the best. There's a whole season of college football ahead of us after all.

I honestly don't see anyone claiming that Golson will win the Heisman. He has the tools to do so, but it's too early to say for anybody. Gurley could get injured half way through the season but he looked really, really good. I mean damn good. The point is that Golson looked mechanically sound and played well despite being out of football for a whole year. That's all. If all we looked at was the level of opponents' skill and not the athletic merits of the individual nobody would get drafted out of div ii.

I also think you're selling your own program short. People have way too much of a short term memory when it comes to this whole "relevance" bs. Consistently high recruiting rankings absolutely do characterize long term success but absolutely do not determine short term or season by season results. If recruiting rankings weren't important coaches wouldn't spend so much time trying to sign the absolute best players. Good recruiting is about having depth and potential not about predicting success through wins and losses. It also helps to have a coach not named Charlie Weis.

I'm not feeling comfortable with all these sportswriters picking USC to beat Stanford. It's going to be hot as fuck and USC has no depth on the lines. Leonard Williams won't be 100% and Mama definitely won't be, if he even plays.

I'm obviously hoping for a win, though.

I'm not feeling comfortable with all these sportswriters picking USC to beat Stanford. It's going to be hot as fuck and USC has no depth on the lines. Leonard Williams won't be 100% and Mama definitely won't be, if he even plays.

I'm obviously hoping for a win, though.

There's got to be some lingering doubt about how long Stanford can maintain the high level of play they've had over the long term. When do they go back to being Stanford?

cashman

Banned
@ESPNTexas 10m

Texas LB Deoundrei Davis no longer on the team, UT confirms. Redshirt freshman hadn't played in a game due to knee injuries.

Everybody will be kicked off the team by the time the season is over.

Karl2177

I hate how ESPN is trying to make this Michigan and Notre Dame game a big rivalry. They've only played 41 times. Here's a non-exhaustive list of rivalries with more basis in history. Nobody gives a shit about Notre Dame and Michigan.

Minnesota and Wisconsin - Apparently this is the matchup with most meetings between teams at 123.
Miami of Ohio and Cincinnati - 118
Tennessee and Kentucky - Here is a real historic rivalry at 109 meetings.
Illinois and Northwestern - 108 and I don't even think people in Illinois care about this.
Missouri and Iowa State - 104
LSU and Tulane - 98
Boston College and Syracuse - This one is actually close in number to Notre Dame and Michigan, but even they have a more historic rivalry at 47 meetings.
It's a shame that Iowa State and Missouri don't play anymore. Even though nowadays it would be a rout, it was always a fun game to go to. Plus the Telephone Trophy is a one of the more interesting trophies in the sport. Looking at Iowa State's rivalries is interesting. There's always been the Iowa game, there was Missouri, and I guess the Kansas State game is one(although I didn't know Farmaggedon was a thing until 2 or 3 years ago). It seems like they're trying to make West Virginia a rivalry also.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Few would question that FSU Miami is one of the better rivalries in CFB but we have only played 58 times.

No one thinks that unless you live in Florida.

A bunch of new money teams who miss field goals and act like it's a thing.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
WTF, you're rooting against teams in your conferences, even though they're your rivals? As a proud SEC man (Roll Tide), I would never root against even my most hated enemy, Auburn.
I just...

I don't...

What?

Fuck Arkansas.
Fuck Auburn.
Fuck Florida.
Fuck Georgia.
Fuck Kentucky.
Fuck LSU.
Fuck Mississippi.
Fuck Mississippi State.
Fuck Missouri.
Fuck South Carolina.
Fuck Tennessee.
Fuck Texas A&M.
Fuck Vandy.

If there was a way to warp reality and make them all go 0-12, I would do it.

I just...

I don't...

What?

Fuck Arkansas.
Fuck Auburn.
Fuck Florida.
Fuck Georgia.
Fuck Kentucky.
Fuck LSU.
Fuck Mississippi.
Fuck Mississippi State.
Fuck Missouri.
Fuck South Carolina.
Fuck Tennessee.
Fuck Texas A&M.
Fuck Vandy.

If there was a way to warp reality and make them all go 0-12, I would do it.

So Alabama's biggest rival is Auburn, but they hate Tennessee the most? Or is it the other way around.

mre

So Alabama's biggest rival is Auburn, but they hate Tennessee the most? Or is it the other way around.
Depends upon the age of the fan. Younger fans hate Auburn more. Older, classier fans hate Tennessee with the whole depth of their being.

KingGondo

Banned
Conference loyalty is stupid as hell.

I root for the teams I like regardless of conference. I mainly root for outcomes that are beneficial to OSU.

As for the Big 12, it goes like this:

OU - Lose every game for all eternity please.
Tech - Lose every game for all eternity except against OU. You never win shit yet you're almost as obnoxious as OU fans.
Baylor - Lose every game for all eternity except against OU and Tech. I hope you get demoted to Conference USA where you belong.
UT - Lose every game except to the above teams. Fuck you for ruining what was a pretty cool conference.
TCU, WVU - Get out of my conference.
KSU - Meh. Whatever.
ISU, KU - Can't muster any emotion besides pity.

mre

Conference loyalty is stupid as hell.

I root for the teams I like regardless of conference. I mainly root for outcomes that are beneficial to OSU.

As for the Big 12, it goes like this:

OU - Lose every game for all eternity please.
Tech - Lose every game for all eternity except against OU. You never win shit yet you're almost as obnoxious as OU fans.
Baylor - Lose every game for all eternity except against OU and Tech. I hope you get demoted to Conference USA where you belong.
UT - Lose every game except to the above teams. Fuck you for ruining what was a pretty cool conference.
TCU, WVU - Get out of my conference.
KSU - Meh. Whatever.
ISU, KU - Can't muster any emotion besides pity.
*Internet High Five*

Talon

Rocky Top
You'll Always Be
Home Sweet Home
To MRE

Oh

Good Ole Rocky Top

WOO!

Rocky Top Tennessee

Rocky Top Tennessee

Three really good rivalries that really don't get enough attention are.

Army/Navy
Harvard/Yale
Lafayette/Lehigh

Army Navy gets its own weekend!

Also I grew up in a house hold where my father hadn't gone to college (but had been in the Army) and my Grandfather hadn't either (but had been in the Navy) so for them it was the only college game that mattered (even though neither of them was an officer).

mre

Oh, man. Thank God for the ignore list or I'm sure I'd be super pissed at Talon right about now for some reason.

cashman

Banned
-OU is the fucking worst, nothing much to say here to say except OUsux and Bob Stoops can eat a bag of dicks.
-Tech is almost aggy like in their delusions over Coach Bro
- Okie lite go fuck yourselves not even T Boone Pickens can by you that win over ISU
- Baylor can't wait for these baptist fucks to go back to irrelevance
- KSU Fuck you KSU, but more importantly fuck you Mack Brown for not even being able to beat some of their worst teams in this past decade.
- ISU maybe actually win a few games before having the audacity to bitch about the refs screwing you out of one.
- KU fuck you and your love of fatass coaches.
I would gladly swap out TCU and WVU for UCF.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Big 12 Thoughts -
OU - Pretty much the worst people on the face of the planet and the greatest threat to freedom.
Tech - Coach Bro amuses me. He wears fake 400K watches and thinks he's a thing, barely beats bad teams, doesn't notice. Perfect fit for their fanbase.
Baylor - it's cute that they spent money on a stadium. Hope it came with tarps.
Okie St - MOVE YOUR BRICK WALL AWAY FROM THE FIELD YOU DOLTS. They are basically Oklahoma's tech. Like, they think they are a thing, no one else notices.
Iowa St - Hey, remember Senaca Walace? he was a thing I guess.
KU - Rock. Chalk. Why are they still in the conference?
KSU - weirdly beats us for reasons I Still don't understand. Their cougar dude plays awesome guitar. Their coach is really old.
WVU - just google WVU fan. I don't need to say anything
TCU - I'm pretty sure we let you in because you beat no one this one year and wound up ranked second. You are the reason that no one is falling for UCF and their Citronaut lies.

Old friends -

Arkansas - Maybe worse than OU. Maybe. Coach fired in the most amazing way possible.
Aggy - Since they left, they lost 4 games in the greatest season in the history of the school and erected a statue to a dbag.
Mizzou - I often forget they left or ever existed. I guess they stole a WR recruit from us with a helicopter but then kicked him out of school.
Nebraska - Did they ever actually beat us? I'm pretty sure they didn't and then ran away crying.
CU - OH MY GOD, I actually forgot we were in a conference with them. Legit, no joke. Congrats, I forgot we played you twice every 4 years.
SWC has beens - I like SMU because my wife went there briefly and there was a good documentary about them, Rice is amusing band dudes. UofH can't build stands to save their lives, lost coach to aggy.

cdyhybrid

Nike U - Literally everything that is wrong with college football.
Wazzu - Little brother that always talks a big game no matter how much reality does not agree with him. Fails constantly at such a consistent, impressive level that we had to coin a phrase to accurately describe it.
Oregon State - Meh.
Cal - Meh.
Stanford - Injury-faking fake-tough-guys that pretend to still have academic superiority over the other teams in the conference.

USC - Respect their program, but easily the most satisfying team to beat in the conference. Their coach is a philanderer and will continue the Pete Carroll tradition of blowing a game every season to a team they have no business losing to.
UCLA - USC-lite. Had to bring in a Husky to give their program life.
Arizona - Meh.
ASU - Meh.
Colorado - RIP ChiTown.
Utah - Go back to the Mountain West.

Draconian

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 10
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 17
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 7
Navy @ Temple by 14
Fresno State @ Utah by 11
USC @ Stanford by 10
Maryland @ South Florida by 7
Michigan State @ Oregon by 3
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 10
BYU @ Texas by 6
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 9
Colorado State @ Boise State by 7

Jay Sosa

Better late than never :D

TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 2 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 1
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 5
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 10
Navy @ Temple by 3
Fresno State @ Utah by 23
USC @ Stanford by 12
Maryland @ South Florida by 7
Michigan State @ Oregon by 1
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 10
BYU @ Texas by 8
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 24
Colorado State @ Boise State by 3

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The conference homerism of the last decade is absolutely stupid. I would never root for Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas or any of Nebraskas other historical rivals. Screw then all.

I don't care if the Big 10 looks like dog shit, I would relish OSU, UM, MSU and Wiscy losing every game possible every year. Nebraska and BYU are all I care about.

Next year, when they play, I will be erupting for only my HHuskers, though.

TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 2 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 7
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 4
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 4
Navy @ Temple by 14
Fresno State @ Utah by 4
USC @ Stanford by 10
Maryland @ South Florida by 3
Michigan State @ Oregon by 4
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 4
BYU @ Texas by 4
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 9
Colorado State @ Boise State by 4

Well off the top of my head, Michigan State beat #18 ranked Michigan at Michigan Stadium in 2010. Or do you mean teams ranked at the end of the season?

Honestly, I just read it on Scout forums; probably not even true, as you've demonstrated. :p

I hate how ESPN is trying to make this Michigan and Notre Dame game a big rivalry. They've only played 41 times. Here's a non-exhaustive list of rivalries with more basis in history. Nobody gives a shit about Notre Dame and Michigan.

Minnesota and Wisconsin - Apparently this is the matchup with most meetings between teams at 123.
Miami of Ohio and Cincinnati - 118
Tennessee and Kentucky - Here is a real historic rivalry at 109 meetings.
Illinois and Northwestern - 108 and I don't even think people in Illinois care about this.
Missouri and Iowa State - 104
LSU and Tulane - 98
Boston College and Syracuse - This one is actually close in number to Notre Dame and Michigan, but even they have a more historic rivalry at 47 meetings.

What an odd argument - as if anyone gives a shit about any of those "rivalries" lol. Sarcasm?

Wazzu - Little brother that always talks a big game no matter how much reality does not agree with him. Fails constantly at such a consistent, impressive level that we had to coin a phrase to accurately describe it.
Oregon State - Meh.
Cal - Meh.
Stanford - Injury-faking fake-tough-guys that pretend to still have academic superiority over the other teams in the conference.

USC - Respect their program, but easily the most satisfying team to beat in the conference. Their coach is a philanderer and will continue the Pete Carroll tradition of blowing a game every season to a team they have no business losing to.
Arizona - Meh.
ASU - Meh.
Colorado - RIP ChiTown.

lol This is fair :p

Jhriad

I also think you're selling your own program short.

Not really. I understand our shortcomings and our strengths better than the average college football fan and though I think we're potentially a better team than most would think. I'm not one to be delusional about how good or bad we are even if I'll succumb to the occasional bout of pessimism when we have one of our frequent spurts of turnovers and/or penalties. It's one of the benefits to being old enough to have actually lived through the good times and the bad I suppose.

Consistently high recruiting rankings absolutely do characterize long term success but absolutely do not determine short term or season by season results. *snip* Good recruiting is about having depth and potential not about predicting success through wins and losses.

Good recruiting isn't determined by the recruiting rank but by how well the athletes fit your system. Nebraska is one of the winningest programs in history (just below Notre Dame) but they've never been a program to have top 10 recruiting classes with any consistency. They find guys that fit the system they run and that's good enough. The difference between a 5th ranked class and a 20th ranked class isn't very significant. The rank says more about where your school is located and how it has been doing in recent history than it does about the quality of the product on the field a few years down the road. A good example would be Oregon. If you look at Oregon's classes from 2005-2009 they were in the mid 20s for the most part. Those classes would be the what Chip Kelly would use to win their conference championships in 2009-2011. Highly ranked classes only give you a slightly better chance of "hitting" with a recruit nothing more.

Nebraska - Did they ever actually beat us? I'm pretty sure they didn't and then ran away crying.

1999 Conference Championship game. We held Texas to under 200 yards. For the most part though Texas had our number and would magically pull it out in the 4th quarter. They were almost always really good games though.

KingGondo

Banned
Big 12 Thoughts -
OU - Pretty much the worst people on the face of the planet and the greatest threat to freedom.
I'm on board with this.

Okie St - MOVE YOUR BRICK WALL AWAY FROM THE FIELD YOU DOLTS.
No.

They are basically Oklahoma's tech. Like, they think they are a thing, no one else notices.
At least we actually won the conference.

Tech's best year ever was when they finished third in their own division and got assraped by Ole Piss in the Cotton Bowl.

I'm mostly apathetic about the rest of the B1G. I hate MSU, don't give a squirt of piss about OSU (we could never play again and I wouldn't give a shit) and have a little soft-spot for Nebraska and Penn State that dates back from before they joined, but it's still mostly apathy there too. I guess I kinda hate Wisconsin a little bit. I would hate Illinois quite a bit but they've beat UM like three times in my life, so whatever. I'm more disappointed with Iowa than anything else. Minnesota is adorable, they're like miniature Cal-Bears. I kinda hate Northwestern I guess. Apathy for everyone else.

AntoneM

Oregon State - Meh.
Cal - Meh.

Arizona - Meh.
ASU - Meh.
Colorado - RIP ChiTown.
Hate, ridicule, pity.. I can handle those.
Indifference is the unkindest of blows.

Gobias

Banned
I'm pretty much indifferent to most of my fellow B1G teams. I mean how could I possibly hate Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, and Northwestern? The only teams I actually dislike are Michigan, Wisconsin, and Penn State.

I'm mostly apathetic about the rest of the B1G. I hate MSU, don't give a squirt of piss about OSU (we could never play again and I wouldn't give a shit)

Getting beat every year will do that to a person.

Top Bottom