• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 2: Everyone Exposed but Idaho (and UCF, but they got Sandusky'd)

Subitai

I didn't even know Notre Dame vs. Michigan was suppose to be a big thing until ESPN started running promos for it. It does have that big game sounding feel to it, though.

But fuck Notre Dame and their consistently overhyped media attention. I hope Notre Dame gets absolutely mauled. If there's a team I dislike more than the Gatas, it's ND.
I think ESPN is overhyping it because it is two huge fanbases that aren't just regional.

Nobody's really invested in the number of times played. It has more to do with the two top teams in win percentage being "rivals." I also doubt espn is plugging it at all given that it's not on their network.

Also just because you've played someone a lot doesn't mean they're a rival

Then why does aggy still believe Texas is their biggest rival when their all time series record is 37-76-5?

andycapps

Nobody's really invested in the number of times played. It has more to do with the two top teams in win percentage being "rivals." I also doubt espn is plugging it at all given that it's not on their network.

Also just because you've played someone a lot doesn't mean they're a rival
The amount of times played absolutely counts in how much of a rivalry you have. Rivalries take time to establish. What better way to correlate time with a rivalry than by showing how far back it goes or how many times it's been played?

I don't know how much ESPN will push it this weekend but they did post this earlier. And I saw Lou babbling about it a few days ago. I'm preemptively laying it out there that this "rivalry" doesn't mean shit. If Notre Dame wants to talk about a rivalry, they're better off pointing to USC.

RYnFvUp.png

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The amount of times played absolutely counts in how much of a rivalry you have. Rivalries take time to establish. What better way to correlate time with a rivalry than by showing how far back it goes or how many times it's been played?

I don't know how much ESPN will push it this weekend but they did post this earlier. And I saw Lou babbling about it a few days ago. I'm preemptively laying it out there that this "rivalry" doesn't mean shit. If Notre Dame wants to talk about a rivalry, they're better off pointing to USC.

RYnFvUp.png

Few would question that FSU Miami is one of the better rivalries in CFB but we have only played 58 times.

andycapps

Few would question that FSU Miami is one of the better rivalries in CFB but we have only played 58 times.

Fair point. FSU and Miami have both been relevant far more recently than Notre Dame has been. Really, I'd say the main reason why that game is one of the exceptions to my
arbitrary
rule is because of how much success The U had in the late 80's and 90's which also coincided with a time when FSU was really coming up. Those games were really exciting because of how good both teams were then. And that rivalry has stuck around since then.

It does seem that a rivalry's strength is also determined by how competitive the series is and the quality of the teams over time.

Then why does aggy still believe Texas is their biggest rival when their all time series record is 37-76-5?

Are you seriously asking why aggie staunchly believes in something that there is no factual evidence to support it?

RYnFvUp.png

Every single ND fan would rather play and beat USC than Michigan. There's a reason this is the last ND Michigan game for a while. To be fair the only reason that the ND Michigan rivalry isn't the longest in major college football sports is because Yost was a staunch racist and anti-Catholic and controlled Michigan sports for over 40 years.

RYnFvUp.png

I agree, anything under 50 meetings isn't a real rivalry.

Also my picks:

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 5
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 12
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 4
Navy @ Temple by 4
Fresno State @ Utah by 12
USC @ Stanford by 4
Maryland @ South Florida by 13
Michigan State @ Oregon by 12
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 4
BYU @ Texas by 4
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 12
Colorado State @ Boise State by 10

Gotta say I'm not confident in that BYU pick. Vegas has them as the favorites(barely(, but its hard to trust Vegas lines on schools from SoCal, Utah and Vegas.

Draxal

Three really good rivalries that really don't get enough attention are.

Army/Navy
Harvard/Yale
Lafayette/Lehigh

Enfinit

Do you really have to ask that?
The accuser's already pled her case three different times to three different organizations, I don't think a fourth time is going to cause anything to change.

Three really good rivalries that really don't get enough attention are.

Army/Navy
Harvard/Yale
Lafayette/Lehigh
Don't forget about the "War on I-4" between the University of South Florida Bulls and the future national champions of the University of Central Florida Golden Knights.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Many books still have Texas as a 1 point favorite. It is as close to a toss up as I can imagine. Texas is going to be better coached than last year with a huge chip on their shoulder, but with 4 defensive players out, who knows.

I would love to see BYU stock to them after taking in Austin 2 years ago in the 4th.

Draxal

The accuser's already plead her case three different times to three different organizations, I don't think a fourth time is going to cause anything to change.

Don't forget about the "War on I-4" between the University of South Florida Bulls and the future national champions of the University of Central Florida Golden Knights.

USF is so bad right now. I think St Thomas Aquinas could beat them.

Many books still have Texas as a 1 point favorite. It is as close to a toss up as I can imagine. Texas is going to be better coached than last year with a huge chip on their shoulder, but with 4 defensive players out, who knows.

I would love to see BYU stock to them after taking in Austin 2 years ago in the 4th.

That was 3 years ago believe it or not. The infamous end to Garret Gilbert's career as a longhorn. He got booed after the first half, and thats when Case McCoy and David Ash got put in.

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 14
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 3
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 21
Navy @ Temple by 7
Fresno State @ Utah by 3
USC @ Stanford by 28
Maryland @ South Florida by 3
Michigan State @ Oregon by 14
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 24
BYU @ Texas by 3
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 18
Colorado State @ Boise State by 7

Enfinit

USF is so bad right now. I think St Thomas Aquinas could beat them.
Whoa. You're talking about the same USF Bulls that heralded a season that took them to #2 of the BCS in 2007. They're talented, relentless, and full of spirit and fight.

This will lead them to defeat the evil Terrapins tomorrow, book it.

#harnessthepowerof2007 #believe

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
For what it's worth, from Winston's family attorney:

BwuplBLCcAAIZRC.png
I don't understand why FSU wouldn't have conducted an inquiry into this at the time they were first made aware of the allegations. That she was "unresponsive" to their inquiry is hardly a reason to simply stop the inquiry. If anything, I would have proceeded with the inquiry, noted that the accuser was uncooperative, and interviewed Jameis and any other witnesses that I was aware of. As Jameis was unlikely to have thrown himself under the bus, they could have (1) complied with federal law by conducting the inquiry in a timely manner, (2) saved themselves some institutional embarrassment, and (3) still had Jameis eligible to attend FSU and play QB without having to continuously revisit the issue.

Draxal

WTF, you're rooting against teams in your conferences, even though they're your rivals? As a proud SEC man (Roll Tide), I would never root against even my most hated enemy, Auburn.

Do you listen to Rocky Top on full blast when Tennessee plays OOC?

Talon

"I just want to thank my teammates and coaching staff that have supported my family and I through this tough time."
"How will Florida State deal with this 'adversity?' Tune in to Sportscenter to learn more about the grit and effort and endurance of Jameis Winston."

KingGondo

Banned

I think BYU will win, and possibly by a comfortable margin.

Swoopes doesn't scare me one bit, their starting center was injured (although Wickline has been known to work miracles before), and I wasn't even aware of their injuries on defense.

I think BYU will win, and possibly by a comfortable margin.

Swoopes doesn't scare me one bit, their starting center was injured (although Wickline has been known to work miracles before), and I wasn't even aware of their injuries on defense.

Due to how shitty our O-Line is, a Pocket Passer would be doomed. The DT ability with Swoopes at least gives us a chance. Perhaps he can turn a potential -5 yard sack into a no-gain situation.

We have the youngest starting O-Line in the FBS

BwsetegCUAAtsvI.png

Our defense needs to score points for us to win.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That's not a good sign.

Strong will probably turn things around eventually, but I don't know if they'll ever get back to perennial 10-win campaigns like they did under Mack.

Ever? With the amount of money they have? Of course they will.

KingGondo

Banned
Ever? With the amount of money they have? Of course they will.
Getting back to that level of dominance is far from a sure thing.

The allure of playing in the Big 12 pales to playing in the SEC for many recruits, and Texas A&M is very appealing at the moment. That will only be more true if UT continues to be mediocre and Strong's disciplinarian style wears thin.

Baylor has Briles and a nice new stadium, OU is undeniably ahead of UT at the moment, and even OSU has been a better program over the last 5 years.

Money doesn't mean that much if the people in charge don't know what they're doing. /jerryjones

andycapps

Going out on a limb here, but I switched my MSU and Oregon pick. I think if anyone can beat Oregon over the years, it's been a team with a disciplined defense (Stanford). I think MSU beats them.

Draxal

Getting back to that level of dominance is far from a sure thing.

The allure of playing in the Big 12 pales to playing in the SEC for many recruits, and Texas A&M is very appealing at the moment. That will only be more true if UT continues to be mediocre and Strong's disciplinarian style wears thin.

Baylor has Briles and a nice new stadium, OU is undeniably ahead of UT at the moment, and even OSU has been a better program over the last 5 years.

Money doesn't mean that much if the people in charge don't know what they're doing. /jerryjones

Its not Big 12 vs Sec. It's alll about how insane of a job Sumlin is doing right now.

Jhriad

I doubt we put up anywhere near those numbers. FAU didn't just fire Saban's brother.

There's always plenty of improvement from Week 1 to Week 2 so FAU should be a better team this weekend. I don't really expect Bama to beat them by 40+ but at least by 28.

If they're a 7-5 team it's because of a combination of having a super young defense and a ridiculous schedule. If you saw Golson play rather than just looking at his stat line, you'd understand where the hype comes from. He's a really accurate passer with a cannon. Two of his incompletions were touchdowns that were dropped by receivers.

It was Rice. Rice. All that matters at the end of the day is the W but it's early to be speculating about the Heisman going to anyone especially with only a single performance against a very overmatched opponent.

Also teams that have had consistent top 10 recruiting years are pretty hard to call pretenders unless you have an axe to grind.

Plenty of teams underperform when you compare the on the field product and recruiting rankings. See: Notre Dame, Michigan, Miami, Texas, Clemson, Florida, and more in recent seasons. Recruiting doesn't mean shit if you can't develop it, beat opponents you're supposed to beat convincingly, and beat the best teams on your schedule. Notre Dame has stumbled so frequently despite arguably having more talent than the vast majority of the teams in college football that I don't think it's unfair to call them pretenders, at least in reference to really high expectations some might have. When you have a good season that isn't filled with lucky wins against Purdue or Pitt and you actually look better than legitimately good teams we can reassess what we think of Notre Dame.

The same goes for my team, Nebraska, except we don't recruit nearly as well. I still don't expect anyone to think we're world beaters because we drilled FAU. If a team has a history of stumbling against good (or bad) competition then people aren't going to expect much from them and it's up to the team to prove the naysayers wrong on the field. They get 12 (maybe 13 or 14) chances to prove their worth every year but Notre Dame and Nebraska have yet to prove themselves to be worth considering Top Tier programs. One day we'll clear that last hurdle and be where we want to be, where we once were, but until then it's best we remain level-headed and recognize both the strengths and weaknesses of our respective teams and continue to cheer, and hope, for the best. There's a whole season of college football ahead of us after all.

I hate how ESPN is trying to make this Michigan and Notre Dame game a big rivalry. They've only played 41 times. Here's a non-exhaustive list of rivalries with more basis in history. Nobody gives a shit about Notre Dame and Michigan.

Minnesota and Wisconsin - Apparently this is the matchup with most meetings between teams at 123.
Miami of Ohio and Cincinnati - 118
Tennessee and Kentucky - Here is a real historic rivalry at 109 meetings.
Illinois and Northwestern - 108 and I don't even think people in Illinois care about this.
Missouri and Iowa State - 104
LSU and Tulane - 98
Boston College and Syracuse - This one is actually close in number to Notre Dame and Michigan, but even they have a more historic rivalry at 47 meetings.

Nebraska - OU : 86

I miss playing OU. :'(

KingGondo

Banned
Its not Big 12 vs Sec. It's alll about how insane of a job Sumlin is doing right now.
The SEC factor definitely helps though.

Also the fact that A&M uses a modern spread offense while Texas uses... whatever they use.

The most impressive thing is that Sumlin is so charismatic that he makes recruits want to forgo Austin and four years of pot, hippy women, and bar-bq for College Station and a military cult.

Also the fact that A&M uses a modern spread offense while Texas uses... whatever they use.

The most impressive thing is that Sumlin is so charismatic that he makes recruits want to forgo Austin and four years of pot, hippy women, and bar-bq for College Station and a military cult.

Actually most of the players so far dismissed/suspended have been for pot use. So, we no longer have the allure of dank marijuana anymore. Players would probably be able to smoke a lot more weed under sumlin's regime

Draxal

I think its overrated truth be told. I mean people believe the ACC is the weakest of the p5 yet FSU is having no issues recruiting.

Conference affiliation does matter don't get me wrong, but it matter if it's p5 vs g5. Insanely popular coaches are the biggest draw along with facilities/trajectory of the program (and I don't think bevo facilities will ever be considered lacking).

Also,

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...in-shouting-match-for-marrone-bills-officials

Sources said Marrone has referred to himself as "Saint Doug" at times, referencing the fact that it takes two miracles to be canonized as a saint, and that he already pulled off one miracle by winning at Syracuse and alluding to the fact it would take another miracle to win in Buffalo.

Oh man, love that shot at Syracuse.

Top Bottom