• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 2: Everyone Exposed but Idaho (and UCF, but they got Sandusky'd)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
How is Arizona only a 7 point favorite over UT San Antonio? I would take AU in a heartbeat. They will win by 17 at least, book it.

Forgot to make this post before, but the line on this game not moving despite Arizona probably getting all of the bets reminds me of two games -

1. TTU versus WVU 2012 - WVU was ranked #5, Tech was coming off a beatdown from Oklahoma, line was WVU by only a few points, everybody betting on WVU but the line not moving. Tech ended up winning 49-14.
  2. UT versus BYU 2013 - Texas ranked #15, BYU had just lost to Virginia, line was Texas by only a few points, everybody betting on Texas but the line not moving. BYU ended up winning 40-21.
If this game tonight had been in the pick 'em I would have gone with UTSA all the way. I've learned these last few years that Vegas knows what the hell they're doing.

Tyrone Swoopes is mobile, but I expect him to be sacked at least 6 times against BYU. It will be an ugly low scoring game.

I don't understand why I can't bring myself to change my pick from UT to BYU.

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 4
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 4
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 4
Navy @ Temple by 4
Fresno State @ Utah by 4
USC @ Stanford by 4
Maryland @ South Florida by 4
Michigan State @ Oregon by 4
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 4
BYU @ Texas by 4
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 4
Colorado State @ Boise State by 4

Meier

Oh hey, Florida state is actually going to at least go through the motions 2 years later.

Slow clap.
For what it's worth, from Winston's family attorney:

BwuplBLCcAAIZRC.png

Arizona up by 7. They are a point away from covering the spread

For what it's worth, from Winston's family attorney:

BwuplBLCcAAIZRC.png

Of course Winston's attorney says he didn't sexually assault the accuser, and I also agree that nothing will change after the accuser makes her 4th testimony.

I don't understand why I can't bring myself to change my pick from UT to BYU.

Well I'm a Texas fan so I have an excuse to still pick my team. I think our defense will play 10x better against BYU than last year. Other than that, I'm not sure

Well I'm a Texas fan so I have an excuse to still pick my team. I think our defense will play 10x better against BYU than last year. Other than that, I'm not sure

I havent changed my pick based on the belief that Strong is actually a good coach and has got some improvement from the team.

Meier

Of course Winston's attorney says he didn't sexually assault the accuser, and I also agree that nothing will change after the accuser makes her 4th testimony.
I think the more pertinent thing in the statement is that she was supposedly not cooperating with the investigation -- this being a persistent theme at least according to the authorities during the case. She was interviewed on August 7th.

Wow, I stand corrected re: the spread. Shit, Richrod, get it together...

Moral of the story is, don't think you have an edge against Vegas and the spread. Making you feel like you have an advantage is what they want you to believe so you'll bet/lose more money. I imagine a ton of people bet a lot of money on the over in that game, and they all lost

KingGondo

Banned
Glad we get UTSA at home.

I'll be legit stressing when we play them in two weeks since I'll be on vacation and won't be able to watch.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Moral of the story is, don't think you have an edge against Vegas and the spread. Making you feel like you have an advantage is what they want you to believe so you'll bet/lose more money. I imagine a ton of people bet a lot of money on the over in that game, and they all lost

Seriously. They are professionals for a reason. A lot of sports betting brokers going tonight with smiles on their faces.

The only time I am betting on the spread is for the underdog when I am thinking of an upset.

This week I have Michigan State +13.5pts as I honestly think they will win.

(FRI) Boston College by 8
Kansas State by 11
Central Michigan by 9
Temple by 6
Utah by 5
Stanford by 10
South Florida by 8
Oregon by 14
Michigan by 9
Texas by 5
Virginia Tech by 6
Colorado State by 10

Watch out, Alabama. Apparently FAU think they'd had "superior talent" to Nebraska last week and would win a rematch, they just didn't execute. Which explains why they got blown out 55-7, allowed 784 yards and almost 500 yards rushing.

I'm late to the party but fuck the media for hyping up Notre Dame after a win against Rice. If I hear Everett Golson and "Dark Horse Heisman" in the same sentence again, I'm going to give myself a lobotomy with a rusty serrated pocket knife. I don't usually pull for Michigan, but for the love of all that is right and just, please destroy these pretenders and expose them as the 7-5 team they really are.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
That is some funny stuff. Nothing would give me more pleasure in life than to see FAU beat Alabama, though. I imagine tears running down my face like that famous gif of that dude smile/crying that gets posted here every so often.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
There are so many Cougs in Reno right now. Love walking into a random bar and joining in to signing the fight song with complete strangers. The plane I took from PDX was full of Cougs and they busted out in the fight song when the plane landed. It's a lot of fun to be part of this! Will be even more fun when we start winning consistently.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
There are so many Cougs in Reno right now. Love walking into a random bar and joining in to signing the fight song with complete strangers. The plane I took from PDX was full of Cougs and they busted out in the fight song when the plane landed. It's a lot of fun to be part of this! Will be even more fun when we start winning consistently.

I have to admit, you guys are my favorite PAC12 team. I root for you against anybody, so I am happy to see your resurgence, even if it hasn't necessarily had the wins to back it up yet. I am confident the Pirate will dash a few teams' post season hopes this year, though.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Watch out, Alabama. Apparently FAU think they'd had "superior talent" to Nebraska last week and would win a rematch, they just didn't execute. Which explains why they got blown out 55-7, allowed 784 yards and almost 500 yards rushing.

I'm late to the party but fuck the media for hyping up Notre Dame after a win against Rice. If I hear Everett Golson and "Dark Horse Heisman" in the same sentence again, I'm going to give myself a lobotomy with a rusty serrated pocket knife. I don't usually pull for Michigan, but for the love of all that is right and just, please destroy these pretenders and expose them as the 7-5 team they really are.
I doubt we put up anywhere near those numbers. FAU didn't just fire Saban's brother.

TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 2 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

Kansas State @ Iowa State by 4
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 5
Navy @ Temple by 4
Fresno State @ Utah by 4
USC @ Stanford by 6
Maryland @ South Florida by 4
Michigan State @ Oregon by 8
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 4
BYU @ Texas by 5
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 8
Colorado State @ Boise State by 6

andycapps

It's annoying, but really if you start treating Domers in the same way as those that think fluoride is brainwashing us, chemtrails, Samsquanch, Gata fans, etc I think it's more tolerable. They have no basis in reality and are out of their fucking element.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 2 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

Kansas State @ Iowa State by 17
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 4
Navy @ Temple by 10
Fresno State @ Utah by 4
USC @ Stanford by 7
Maryland @ South Florida by 7
Michigan State @ Oregon by 7
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 7 - I hope I lose these points.
BYU @ Texas by 7
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 17
Colorado State @ Boise State by 4

It's annoying, but really if you start treating Domers in the same way as those that think fluoride is brainwashing us, chemtrails, Samsquanch, etc I think it's more tolerable. They have no basis in reality and are out of their fucking element.

Bubs_medium.jpg

Goddamn samsquanches

It's annoying, but really if you start treating Domers in the same way as those that think fluoride is brainwashing us, chemtrails, Samsquanch, etc I think it's more tolerable. They have no basis in reality and are out of their fucking element.

I'm surprised you didn't add "and Gata fans" at the end there :p

Subitai

I wonder if there were any Udub fans cringing in silence on that plane...

Subitai

Well off the top of my head, Michigan State beat #18 ranked Michigan at Michigan Stadium in 2010. Or do you mean teams ranked at the end of the season?
If still true though, I look at those kind of streaks and think the longer they go, the harder it is for them to keep going.

If they're a 7-5 team it's because of a combination of having a super young defense and a ridiculous schedule. If you saw Golson play rather than just looking at his stat line, you'd understand where the hype comes from. He's a really accurate passer with a cannon. Two of his incompletions were touchdowns that were dropped by receivers. Also teams that have had consistent top 10 recruiting years are pretty hard to call pretenders unless you have an axe to grind.

KingGondo

Banned
If still true though, I look at those kind of streaks and think the longer they go, the harder it is for them to keep going.
Depends.

If they were playing #19 Nebraska on the road they'd have a pretty good chance of breaking it.

#3 Oregon is another matter. Very few teams come out of Autzen with a win.

Affeinvasion said:
Also teams that have had consistent top 10 recruiting years are pretty hard to call pretenders unless you have an axe to grind.
Yes. Recruiting rankings are the primary factor in determining the success of a program.

andycapps

I hate how ESPN is trying to make this Michigan and Notre Dame game a big rivalry. They've only played 41 times. Here's a non-exhaustive list of rivalries with more basis in history. Nobody gives a shit about Notre Dame and Michigan.

Minnesota and Wisconsin - Apparently this is the matchup with most meetings between teams at 123.
Miami of Ohio and Cincinnati - 118
Tennessee and Kentucky - Here is a real historic rivalry at 109 meetings.
Illinois and Northwestern - 108 and I don't even think people in Illinois care about this.
Missouri and Iowa State - 104
LSU and Tulane - 98
Boston College and Syracuse - This one is actually close in number to Notre Dame and Michigan, but even they have a more historic rivalry at 47 meetings.

I hate how ESPN is trying to make this Michigan and Notre Dame game a big rivalry. They've only played 41 times. Here's a non-exhaustive list of rivalries with more basis in history. Nobody gives a shit about Notre Dame and Michigan.

Minnesota and Wisconsin - Apparently this is the matchup with most meetings between teams at 123.
Miami of Ohio and Cincinnati - 118
Tennessee and Kentucky - Here is a real historic rivalry at 109 meetings.
Illinois and Northwestern - 108 and I don't even think people in Illinois care about this.
Missouri and Iowa State - 104
LSU and Tulane - 98
Boston College and Syracuse - This one is actually close in number to Notre Dame and Michigan, but even they have a more historic rivalry at 47 meetings.

Nobody's really invested in the number of times played. It has more to do with the two top teams in win percentage being "rivals." I also doubt espn is plugging it at all given that it's not on their network.

Also just because you've played someone a lot doesn't mean they're a rival

So ready for Michigan St/Oregon this weekend. Will be an excellent indicator if Oregon will be able to play against Stanford this year.

Enfinit

I didn't even know Notre Dame vs. Michigan was suppose to be a big thing until ESPN started running promos for it. It does have that big game sounding feel to it, though.

But fuck Notre Dame and their consistently overhyped media attention. I hope Notre Dame gets absolutely mauled. If there's a team I dislike more than the Gatas, it's ND.

If they're a 7-5 team it's because of a combination of having a super young defense and a ridiculous schedule. If you saw Golson play rather than just looking at his stat line, you'd understand where the hype comes from. He's a really accurate passer with a cannon. Two of his incompletions were touchdowns that were dropped by receivers. Also teams that have had consistent top 10 recruiting years are pretty hard to call pretenders unless you have an axe to grind.
we just did this same song and dance last year with these exact same teams. That game was hyped beyond belief. Michigan won, everyone acted like it mattered and we had to hear about how great Devin Gardner was 5 minutes only for the Michigan offense to slowly be exposed as the season went along.

Neither team gets the right to pretend they're relevant anymore. Both need to earn it against good competition. Last years matchup was actually an overblown slap fight between a 7-5 and 8-4 team. And its funny you mention top 10 recruiting classes because both Michigan and ND get those on an almost yearly basis and consistently underachieve with them.

Come back and talk about Golson in December after he's done something that matters. Not in September after a game against fucking RICE.
They have no basis in reality and are out of their fucking element.
HoipJA5.gif

Well off the top of my head, Michigan State beat #18 ranked Michigan at Michigan Stadium in 2010. Or do you mean teams ranked at the end of the season?

Brady Hoke has never beat a ranked team on the road in his head coaching career. Last time he beat a ranked team on the road was when he was an assistant coach at UM in 2000

Top Bottom