• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 4: Jerry was a UCLA Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry was a UCLA quarter back
And he ran so goddamned fast
He never did win no conference title
But he never did come in last

Apologies to Primus and mre

AP Top 25 said:
Florida State
Oregon
Alabama
Oklahoma
Auburn
Texas A&M
Baylor
LSU
Notre Dame
Ole Miss
Michigan State
UCLA
Georgia
South Carolina
Arizona State
Stanford
USC
Missouri
Wisconsin
Kansas State
BYU
Clemson
Ohio State
Nebraska
Oklahoma State

USA Today Coaches' Poll said:
Florida State
Alabama
Oregon
Oklahoma
Auburn
Baylor
Texas A&M
LSU
Notre Dame
UCLA
Michigan State
Ole Miss
Arizona State
Georgia
Stanford
South Carolina
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Missouri
Kansas State
USC
Nebraska
BYU
Clemson
North Carolina

Thursday, September 18
7:30 PM No. 5 Auburn at No. 20 Kansas State

Friday, September 19
8:00 PM Connecticut at South Florida

Saturday, September 20
12:00 PM Eastern Michigan at No. 11 Michigan State
12:00 PM Troy at No. 13 Georgia
12:00 PM Bowling Green at No. 19 Wisconsin

12:00 PM Georgia Tech at Virginia Tech
12:00 PM Iowa at Pittsburgh
12:00 PM Western Illinois at Northwestern
12:00 PM Southern Illinois at Purdue
12:00 PM Old Dominion at Rice
12:30 PM Maryland at Syracuse
12:30 PM Tulane at Duke
1:00 PM Maine at Boston College
1:00 PM Delaware State at Temple
2:00 PM Marshall at Akron
2:00 PM Hawaii at Colorado
3:30 PM Florida at No. 3 Alabama
3:30 PM No. 6 Texas A&M at SMU
3:30 PM Virginia at No. 21 BYU

3:30 PM Nicholls State at North Texas
3:30 PM Norfolk State at Buffalo
3:30 PM North Carolina at East Carolina
3:30 PM Army at Wake Forest
3:30 PM Louisville at Florida International
3:30 PM Central Michigan at Kansas
3:30 PM Rutgers at Navy
3:30 PM Utah at Michigan
4:00 PM Indiana at No. 18 Missouri
4:00 PM Texas State at Illinois
4:00 PM Massachusetts at Penn State
4:00 PM San Jose State at Minnesota
4:00 PM Florida Atlantic at Wyoming
6:00 PM Presbyterian at North Carolina State
6:00 PM Bethune-Cookman at UCF
6:00 PM Georgia State at Washington
7:00 PM Mississippi State at No. 8 LSU
7:00 PM Northern Illinois at Arkansas
7:00 PM Utah State at Arkansas State
7:00 PM Miami (OH) at Cincinnati
7:00 PM Middle Tennessee at Memphis
7:00 PM Northwestern State at Louisiana Tech
7:00 PM Appalachian State at Southern Miss
7:00 PM Ball State at Toledo
7:00 PM Idaho at Ohio
7:00 PM Murray State at Western Michigan
7:30 PM No. 4 Oklahoma at West Virginia
7:30 PM No. 14 South Carolina at Vanderbilt

7:30 PM Georgia Southern at South Alabama
8:00 PM No. 22 Clemson at No. 1 Florida State
8:00 PM Miami (FL) at No. 24 Nebraska

8:00 PM UNLV at Houston
8:00 PM New Mexico at New Mexico Stat
10:00 PM California at Arizona
10:00 PM Southern Utah at Fresno State
10:30 PM No. 2 Oregon at Washington State
10:30 PM San Diego State at Oregon State
10:30 PM Louisiana-Lafayette at Boise State

TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 4 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) Auburn @ Kansas State by X
(FRI) Connecticut @ South Florida by X
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by X
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by X
Maryland @ Syracuse by X
North Carolina @ East Carolina by X
Rutgers @ Navy by X
Utah @ Michigan by X
Mississippi State @ LSU by X
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by X
Clemson @ Florida State by X
California @ Arizona by X

HeismanPundit Weekly Straw Poll said:
The HeismanPundit.com Heisman Straw Poll, 9/16/2014

Total Points (with first place votes in parentheses)

1. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon — 23 (6)

2. Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia — 16 (3)

3. Kenny Hill, QB, Texas A&M — 10 (1)

4. Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State — 7

5. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama— 3

6. Taysom Hill, QB, BYU — 1

Subitai

What happened to MRE?

Anyway, from the week 3 thread:
I mean, if you guys cared about the victims you could have tried to hire a coach and President not known for covering sexual abuse scandals up.

The victim defense is hollow here. It's mocking your institution's inability to confront what happened there and show true remorse. If you guys actually did that, you would have a point.
I'm just saying everything is about the victims until isn't. NCAA didn't ask them about handing out the sanctions or about taking what was left of them back.

Also, PSU fans were conflicted about both of those hires. At this point though, it looks to me like it wouldn't have made a difference for a lot of detractors. Trying to please the court of public opinion is impossible. All that matters is meeting when not exceeding the deeply flawed Freeh report requirements that university did not dispute. It completely confounds me how quickly Senator George Mitchell, with his impeccable background, is overlooked if not ignored when he independently sees the requirements being met. If he had any issue with those hires, everyone would have heard about it.

I get the sense that haters think there is still more bad news to come out or happen in the future. For those of you who feel that way, don't worry because it will get caught and some sort of hammer will come down. Per the second Annual Report:
Work remains to be completed, with many projects mid-stream. My team will continue to observe Penn State’s activities to promote the advancement and completion of these constructive endeavors.

cdyhybrid

Also, PSU fans were conflicted about both of those hires. At this point though, it looks to me like it wouldn't have made a difference for a lot of detractors.

You honestly think NOT hiring two people fresh off their own rape scandals wouldn't have gone over a bit better?

Two things I learned this weekend:

1) Georgia has an awful defense AND OH MY GOD HOW DID WE ONLY MANAGE 15 YARDS OF OFFENSE AGAINST THEM IN THE SECOND HALF OF OUR GAME.

2) Not all Alabama fans sound like backwater redneck Paul Finebaum callers.
Thanks for destroying that theory, Lonestar!

andycapps

Two things I learned this weekend:

1) Georgia has an awful defense AND OH MY GOD HOW DID WE ONLY MANAGE 15 YARDS OF OFFENSE AGAINST THEM IN THE SECOND HALF OF OUR GAME.

2) Not all Alabama fans sound like backwater redneck Paul Finebaum callers.
Thanks for destroying that theory, Lonestar!
Because your offensive coordinator stopped going with what was working. I also think our defense is better against spread teams than it will be against such a huge offensive line. Your offensive line couldn't keep your QB up for more than 2 seconds. South Carolina has the biggest line we'll see all year, and Thompson had loads of time to pick on our weak secondary.

Also, Clemson just isn't that good.

andycapps

Neither is South Carolina! That's why this was so aggravating :(
Like they say, you're never as good as you think after a win, or as bad as you think you are after a loss. We played a shitty game the other day. South Carolina played their best game they've played so far and won by 3 at home. It is what it is.

Spurrier hates us so much that he's capable of getting his guys to play beyond themselves for this game. Believe it now, they have a couple more losses in them before the year's out.

We still have a shot to win the east but that's just going to mean we get slapped around by the SEC west winner if Pruitt can't coach up our untalented DB's. We also have to figure out a way to pressure the QB with our front 4 when going up against a huge offensive line. If Pruitt wanted his guys to lose weight during the summer so they could hang with HUNH teams, he needs to show those same guys can handle what they saw on Saturday.

This year is really a test for Pruitt because he doesn't have much to work with in our secondary. We've got some top recruits coming in next year that will help. I saw that an anonymous coach said that UGA doesn't have one player in the secondary that would play for one of the top defenses this year. I believe it and Pruitt said as much in the preseason.

Sotha_Sil

Obviously not the most hyped game of the week, but I'm most interested in Utah @ Michigan. I've had a soft spot for the Utes since they put the beat down on Bama in the Sugar Bowl. I'd like to see them do some damage in the PAC as well, but they haven't had a lot of success, and their schedule is absurdly difficult this year.

It will also be interesting to see if Les Miles finally opens up the playbook vs Miss St, or if what we've seen so far is all there is.

Subitai

You honestly think NOT hiring two people fresh off their own rape scandals wouldn't have gone over a bit better?
I'm talking about the people for who nothing except the complete shuttering of the university will be enough.

For other people with your perspective, is hiring for appearances to go over well the best thing? Isn't making policy on the fly to ensure things go over well what has gotten the NFL in trouble? Part of their hiring requirements were implementing and enforcing Freeh report recommendations that pertained to them. Furthermore, if Franklin and/or Barron do end up being problematic, the new and well entrenched Office of Ethics and Compliance was set up to have complete independence from the athletic department as the head reports directly to the BoT. One of the 6 compliance areas the office is responsible for is youth protection.

All that being said, I think there is a legitimate issue to be had with the fact that a lot of other PSU fans were pleased with the hiring of Barron, because they hope he will eventually treat Paterno they way he treated Bowden before he left.

So Rutgers had to apologize for offending Penn State for some Pedo State t-shirts?

Give me a break, I thought you were supposed to be Jersey.

Aren't you supposed to say "Hey, suck my nuts, you pedo pieces of trash, no disrespect."

Clemson at Florida State this week. Good times.

Tulane at Duke for the noon-thirty game, but I think I will be unavailable for that one (furniture delivery at new place, no cable yet).

Tamanon

Banned
Go Pirates! This Saturday's game against UNC should be a barn-burner. Here's hoping we pull it out and maybe even get ranked for once!

Ace 8095

Saturdays loss against the Yellow Jackets still hurts. More signature FBS victories are needed for our program and pulling off the upset in Atlanta would have been a huge boost. We've got plenty of talent however, and offensive speed that will likely blow away most defenses when we begin conference play Saturday.

Also Matt Breida is one fast SOB.

SpotlessAccomplishedAmericanindianhorse.gif

Chris R

Now I want to dig out my N64 and play some THPS :(

Hoping WSU gives Oregon a good game, if not then at least let the Thursday game not be a blowout

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'll be back for next week, guys. Sorry about that. Been swamped at work. For what it's worth, my thread title was going to be: CFB Week 4: Threeballz Revenge - ECU bests Ohio State; Florida over UT Martin.

saving post for my pick'ems

Could be some upsets this weekend:

Kansas State over Auburn
West Virginia over Oklahoma
Vandy over SCAR
Clemson over Florida St???

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
saving post for my pick'ems

Could be some upsets this weekend:

Kansas State over Auburn
West Virginia over Oklahoma
Vandy over SCAR
Clemson over Florida St???
Vandy over Scar seems impossible. Vandy is worse than Kentucky.

I definitely think one of the other 3 is happening though. I would put Oklahoma at the most likely. If this were at Clemson I would say us getting upset is most likely, but we do well against Clemson at home.

Florida State's defense hasn't looked especially good, so who knows what Clemson's offense might be able to do against it. Clemson didn't look good against Georgia two weeks ago in the second half, but they had a chance to work on things in the glorified scrimmage against SC State. For that matter, Florida State also has some offensive items to work through.

Give me the Noles at home, though. But I'd be lying if I were to tell you this team is as good as (a) last year's team or (b) the preseason prognostications would have you believe. Not at this point.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Florida State's defense hasn't looked especially good, so who knows what Clemson's offense might be able to do against it. Clemson didn't look good against Georgia two weeks ago in the second half, but they had a chance to work on things in the glorified scrimmage against SC State. For that matter, Florida State also has some offensive items to work through.

Give me the Noles at home, though. But I'd be lying if I were to tell you this team is as good as (a) last year's team or (b) the preseason prognostications would have you believe. Not at this point.

Well yeah, I doubt we get through the regular season without a loss or two. But I think ND and Louisville are more likely to be losses than Clemson at home after a bye.

AntoneM

Taylor Kelly out with a broken bone in his foot, ASU's season is essentially over unless Mike "It''s-still-complete-if-caught-after-the-first-bounce-right?" Bercovici or one of the freshman QB's figures out how to play in 10 days.

Well yeah, I doubt we get through the regular season without a loss or two. But I think ND and Louisville are more likely to be losses than Clemson at home after a bye.

Yeah fsu are definitely not as strong as last year and Winston looks a little off the boil to me.

If I was a betting man, and I am, I will be steering clear from putting money on this game. This is one of those matches in the acc where you get an upset which I was talking about in the other thread.

Louisville don't seem as good as last year from what I have read, I haven't seen them play though.

I would love it for both nd and fsu going into the last match of the regular season against each other undefeated. That would have a big playoff ramifications! Maybe meet again in the semi

I would love it for both nd and fsu going into the last match of the regular season against each other undefeated. That would have a big playoff ramifications! Maybe meet again in the semi

Florida State and Notre Dame play in the middle of the season. October 18. Florida State would have 5 more regular season games to follow, plus a potential CCG.

Cole Stoudt is susceptible to a downward spiral if he gets a bad start, so I'm hoping Watson can pick up the slack if things start to go awry in the first half.

My only consolation from the impending beatdown this weekend is the hope that it will be the catalyst that starts the Deshaun Watson era at Clemson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom