• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 6: Michigan Men Play Through Concussions

Okay? That doesn't change the fact that I don't think the LSU win is as big of a deal as some seem to make it out to be. No doubt Auburn has a super tough schedule, but this wasn't one of the marquee games IMO. I just don't think LSU is all that great this year.

Beating LSU 41-7 is a big deal. And whether they were worth it or not, beating a top 15 teams 41-7 is more impressive than anything Florida St has done.

. I know this isn't professional sport and you can only beat who is in front of you, however, I still rate Bama and Oregon ahead of ole miss and Arizona, at this stage.

Based on what, though? I'd get your point if either of them had been dominant and had a fluke loss, but both Bama and Oregon have shown some significant flaws throughout the season. Nobody has looked dominant this season, so this season more than most, the rankings should be volatile.

Based on what, though? I'd get your point if either of them had been dominant and had a fluke loss, but both Bama and Oregon have shown some significant flaws throughout the season. Nobody has looked dominant this season, so this season more than most, the rankings should be volatile.

Based on what I have seen of them playing and my own opinion of what a good football team is.

I'm not saying that bama or Oregon are flawless or well above ole miss, but I do think they are better and much more consistent. If I was picking the playoff teams, I would be more comfortable putting bama and Oregon there ahead of Arizona and ole miss. That is how I have done my top ten.

With Arizona and ole miss I was confident of them getting close or defeating their respective opponents this week (see my posts with pick ems and my bets), but the reason why is they had a set of circumstances which gave both of them advantages over their opponents for the day: Arizona with a longer rest and ole miss being at home on homecoming.

These are big advantages in college football, and types of advantages I look for when I put money on these matches.

Historically speaking teams do not jump from unranked to top 10.

Also, keep in mind Oregon is without their starting OT so that Oregon team was not the one that beat Michigan St. And U of A barely beat Cal and UTSA.

Oregon barely beat Wazzu.

And sure, historically speaking that's true, but these rankings were based off of pre-season rankings, which are bullshit. If you went in blank-slate there'd be no question Arizona looks like the better team and has a better record and head-to-head to boot.

Based on what I have seen of them playing and my own opinion of what a good football team is.

I'm not saying that bama or Oregon are flawless or well above ole miss, but I do think they are better and much more consistent. If I was picking the playoff teams, I would be more comfortable putting bama and Oregon there ahead of Arizona and ole miss. That is how I have done my top ten.

That's all well and good, but it just doesn't ring true to me. One of the things about college football is the players aren't there for very long, so year-to-year things can change a lot.

You want consistency? Arizona has consistently won all of their games. You want better? Arizona went into Oregon's house and straight-up beat 'em.

I know you talk about the Arizona rest, but Oregon has better recruits, a supposed "Heisman-candidate" QB, one of the best home field advantages in the country, better facilities, and so on. Arizona had to overcome those things.

I'd get it if Arizona wasn't undefeated, like if we're talking 8-2 vs 8-2, and you like Oregon's losses better, etc. But at the moment there's not much that says Oregon is a better team to me. They needed a ref-assist to put away Wazzu, and they got flat-out beat at home by Arizona.

Sure, Zona needed a lucky hail mary to beat Cal, but Cal beat Wazzu, and again, Zona has that nice "0" in the L column.

Obviously your rankings are your own but it just seems weird to me, that's all.

That's all well and good, but it just doesn't ring true to me. One of the things about college football is the players aren't there for very long, so year-to-year things can change a lot.

You want consistency? Arizona has consistently won all of their games. You want better? Arizona went into Oregon's house and straight-up beat 'em.

I know you talk about the Arizona rest, but Oregon has better recruits, a supposed "Heisman-candidate" QB, one of the best home field advantages in the country, better facilities, and so on. Arizona had to overcome those things.

I'd get it if Arizona wasn't undefeated, like if we're talking 8-2 vs 8-2, and you like Oregon's losses better, etc. But at the moment there's not much that says Oregon is a better team to me. They needed a ref-assist to put away Wazzu, and they got flat-out beat at home by Arizona.

Sure, Zona needed a lucky hail mary to beat Cal, but Cal beat Wazzu, and again, Zona has that nice "0" in the L column.

Obviously your rankings are your own but it just seems weird to me, that's all.

You and I are on the same page about the players not being there for long and not to judge teams based on last years performance. I'm usually the person highlighting that to others here.

Consistency I'm talking about isn't the consistency in wins. Buts it's the in-match consistency. Ever heard of the saying "we only played three quarters today" or "we lost it despite only playing good football for half a game". This is the consistency I am talking about. Oregon and bama generally have played better for longer than Arizona or ole miss this year. They tend to put in more consistent performances each game (it's Australian football terminology, not sure if it's universal).

Oregon have won more quarters and been held scoreless in a quarter less than Arizona has this year. Bama would be the same compared to ole miss I'm guessing (haven't looked up their stats). This is why I would call Oregon and bama more consistent. Oregon and bama play better football more consistently to Arizona and ole miss.

Another factor which helped both Arizona and ole miss is the fact they were underdogs by so much (Arizona by 23pts!!!). There was as much or more pressure on Oregon to not lose than Arizona to win for the same reasons you point out (recruiting, massive budgets, better recruits, not being ranked etc). My opinion (from my own amateur sport experience and watching college football) is that the majority of kids prefer being underdogs, due to less pressure or expectation on them winning.

They were both bloody good wins by Arizona and ole miss. I don't want to take that away from them. Yes I think they are not too far away from Oregon and bama. I had ole miss pretty much the same as those teams in my rankings. I wanted to put Arizona in the top ten, but I also wanted Michigan state in there too.

To be honest, it was hard for me to do from 5th to tenth. There are too many closely ranked teams at the moment, which is a good thing.

I hear you chicko, and thanks for explaining. I know we're going to end up disagreeing and that's fine.

But let's say you had to choose for the Playoff right now, and you had to choose a Pac-12 representative. Would you choose Oregon over Arizona? Would Arizona be punished for not being ranked before the season and, basically, not having the prestige that Oregon does?

If played tomorrow and in a neutral venue in a semi final playoff match, I would put Oregon ahead of Arizona from the pac12. Arizona would be my second selection from the pac12.

It's not due to prestige from previous years or other aspects of their programme, but because I would think they are currently the best all round team and most capable to win a playoff match from the PAC 12.

As I said, Arizona are not far behind in my opinion. But I would now like to see them play as favourites and as the hunted team in their comp for a few weeks before making a call that they are better than Oregon. It will be interested to see how they cope with the pressure which Oregon and mariota has had to for the first six weeks. Kinda like USC not liking it so much after beating Stanford (plus the huge travel distance to Boston).

cajunator

Banned
cajun pls

example w/ random numbers that aren't real: say his first touch of the 2nd half in each game is 17, 32, 40, 50, 75, that's an average of 42.8 yards per carry

edit: actual numbers are 63+0+69+22+61=215, which is an average of 43? eh fuck it

Oh ok you meant all games cumulatively so far not just this game. See I was sleepy as fuck. I understand now.

FSU will easily be number one but they probably shouldn't be with how shaky they've looked this year.

It doesn't matter anyway. All of the SEC West teams will lose at least one game and the one that emerges is a lock for the playoff. And in the right scenario, two teams could even make it.

Our schedule is brutal so there is no need to worry about where we are ranked after 6 weeks.

jjasper

So at this point we have lost 11 straight coin flips. Which seems stranger to me than all the other losing this program is doing these days. The losing way of this program knows no bounds.

I'm so happy you guys. Being at the TCU game yesterday....it may sound sacreligous, but that victory was more exciting than their Rose Bowl win. Because it was at home, because it was an upset, because of that 4-8 season where everything that could have gone wrong indeed went wrong.

And they've got Baylor on the road this week. A win, and they're in the top 4. Crazy to think.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If played tomorrow and in a neutral venue in a semi final playoff match, I would put Oregon ahead of Arizona from the pac12. Arizona would be my second selection from the pac12.

It's not due to prestige from previous years or other aspects of their programme, but because I would think they are currently the best all round team and most capable to win a playoff match from the PAC 12.

As I said, Arizona are not far behind in my opinion. But I would now like to see them play as favourites and as the hunted team in their comp for a few weeks before making a call that they are better than Oregon. It will be interested to see how they cope with the pressure which Oregon and mariota has had to for the first six weeks. Kinda like USC not liking it so much after beating Stanford (plus the huge travel distance to Boston).

I'm sorry but that is flawed reasoning. You are putting subjective information higher then objective information, think about that for a second.

So at this point we have lost 11 straight coin flips. Which seems stranger to me than all the other losing this program is doing these days. The losing way of this program knows no bounds.

I had a dream last night involving my brother explaining to me that we were losing coin tosses because the offensive coordinator kept telling the players to pick tails when he should know that these SEC refs always flip heads.

#firebajakian

Talon

I'm sorry but that is flawed reasoning. You are putting subjective information higher then objective information, think about that for a second.
Yeah, he's giving his subjective opinion. By no means is he representing some sort of objective list.

No idea why this is generating so much discussion.

Talon's favorite Dickbutt Gifs:
1. Bioshock Infinite Telegraph Dickbutt
2. Ocean of Dickbutts
3. Wil Wright's Spore Dickbutt
4. The OG Dickbutt
5. Minaj Dickbutt

jjasper

I had a dream last night involving my brother explaining to me that we were losing coin tosses because the offensive coordinator kept telling the players to pick tails when he should know that these SEC refs always flip heads.

#firebajakian

I don't know what to think about Bajakian. On one hand he is fucked because his offense is based on a read option and he is running it with a terrible Oline and a QB that 1. can't read a defense to know when a blitz is coming 2. can't/won't keep it. On the other it is his job to change things up based on personal.

Also yesterday Butch Jones was a bad coach. Punting on that 4th down to net 15 yards was a horrible decision, also when you are up 9-0 and you have a QB that can't recognize biltzes, a Oline that can't block, and a defense that is playing as well as they were you should fucking park the bus run three times and punt or throw screen passes until the other team scores. Having Worley drop back should have never happened. Yesterday was a bad day for him and it is going to get worse if he doesn't get to 6 wins. No improvement in year 2 will pretty much make next year put up or shut up time and what sucks for him is this this year it is "if only we had an Oline" and next year it is going to be "if only we had a QB" unless Dobbs is decent. It seems pretty clear the team is on track to be back to being half decent in 2016 but our fanbase is impatient as fuck for no reason and won't wait for then.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Yeah, he's giving his subjective opinion. By no means is he representing some sort of objective list.

No idea why this is generating so much discussion.

Talon's favorite Dickbutt Gifs:
1. Bioshock Infinite Telegraph Dickbutt
2. Ocean of Dickbutts
3. Wil Wright's Spore Dickbutt
4. The OG Dickbutt
5. Minaj Dickbutt

1. It's a discussion board.
2. In the post I quoted, he is talking about putting an Oregon team in the playoffs over an Arizona team that has a better record and beat Oregon at Oregon. It's cool to have opinions and all but objective > subjective in such situations.
3. Your dickbutt list sucks. :p

I don't know what to think about Bajakian. On one hand he is fucked because his offense is based on a read option and he is running it with a terrible Oline and a QB that 1. can't read a defense to know when a blitz is coming 2. can't/won't keep it. On the other it is his job to change things up based on personal.

Also yesterday Butch Jones was a bad coach. Punting on that 4th down to net 15 yards was a horrible decision, also when you are up 9-0 and you have a QB that can't recognize biltzes, a Oline that can't block, and a defense that is playing as well as they were you should fucking park the bus run three times and punt or throw screen passes until the other team scores. Having Worley drop back should have never happened. Yesterday was a bad day for him and it is going to get worse if he doesn't get to 6 wins. No improvement in year 2 will pretty much make next year put up or shut up time and what sucks for him is this this year it is "if only we had an Oline" and next year it is going to be "if only we had a QB" unless Dobbs is decent. It seems pretty clear the team is on track to be back to being half decent in 2016 but our fanbase is impatient as fuck for no reason and won't wait for then.

I agree with everything you just said. I tend to put the blame more on Bajakian though because our overall offensive scheme was a joke. We were playing conservative from play one, with RB draws, WR screens, slants, and RB dump-offs seemingly accounting for 90% of our plays on offense. We had a huge skill/height advantage with our WRs, but we hardly even tried to take advantage of it. I'm sure the thought process was to play to Worley's strengths of being a game manager, but any competent defense will eventually recognizing the pattern of a four play rotation and adjust. Another concern is when we finally started to gain rhythm in the passing game or running game, our drives would stall because we would abandon what was working. If Hurd and company have gotten two consecutive first downs and it is 2 and 3, why are we passing the ball the next two downs? It's almost as If we would out-smart ourselves sometimes. Couple that with the points you made and I think the frustration by the fan base with Bajakian is justified.

But then again (and like you said), he hasn't exactly been given a proper O-line or a QB with skills sets tailored for this offensive scheme.

Jhriad

This is true.

But is Starkville any better?

Is Starkville stocked with rich & overbearing southern baptist brats? The last time I was in Waco I got to see a group of folks try laying on of hands on a person obviously down on their luck but very uninterested in their bullshit and a few people use the 'N' word in polite conversation. Add in their student population's heavy lean toward spoiled rich brats and the place can be incredibly unpleasant. Never been to Starkville but I'll take it any day of the week.

Talon

1. It's a discussion board.
2. In the post I quoted, he is talking about putting an Oregon team in the playoffs over an Arizona team that has a better record and beat Oregon at Oregon. It's cool to have opinions and all but objective > subjective in such situations.
3. Your dickbutt list sucks. :p
e64131e8f2156ecbe39a60b0be738bab.gif

Seth C

Florida should have an extra two Ls but apparently they aren't held to the play clock and can just do whatever they want.

pxleyes

Banned
Just finished watching the replay. What a crazy game. I can't believe we won that game. 2 amazing wins in a row. Maybe we have a decent season brewing.

Some crazy numbers of years over Kensucky
A decade of dominance over the Tennesee Creamsicles

bachikarn

Florida should have an extra two Ls but apparently they aren't held to the play clock and can just do whatever they want.

I see someone still doesn't understands the clock rules. Also, who's to say we still wouldn't have won if they called a delay of game? You realize that they wouldn't end the game because the clock hit zero right?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I see someone still doesn't understands the clock rules. Also, who's to say we still wouldn't have won if they called a delay of game? You realize that they wouldn't end the game because the clock hit zero right?

Only a defensive penalty results in an extra play after time expires, but I might have misunderstood you.

But bitching about the delay of game no call is ludicrous.

bachikarn

Only a defensive penalty results in an extra play after time expires, but I might have misunderstood you.

But bitching about the delay of game no call is ludicrous.

Neither play he is referring to was at the end of the game. One was in OT, and the other was in the middle of the fourth. To declare we would have lost if they called a delay of game penalty is wrong.

Sotha_Sil

Is it? LSU barely survived against Wiscy and were beat pretty handily by Mississippi State regardless of the final score. I'm not sure how good LSU actually is this year.

We're garbage this year. Replacing Mett (to graduation) and OBJ, Landry, Hill, and Turner (all early to NFL) with a bunch of true freshmen is a recipe for disaster. We also lost two starting DT's to the NFL, and each had another year of eligibility. Freak didn't even get drafted, ffs.

It was the same story last year. We had a great offense but suspect defense because we lost Minter, Mingo, Logan, Reid, etc to the league early.

Top Bottom