• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 7: Katy Perry, Football Goddess. Everyone else, Cougin It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
From our weekly press conference, emphasis mine -

... Kingsbury said that the "mental mistakes that show up in the games" aren't made in practice. He attributed that, potentially, to "nervous energy" and "fundamental techniques (that) aren't transferring from the practice field to the game field."

... "We haven't had a lot of confidence-building moments in this season, and we need to build on the positive. There haven't been a ton, to be honest."

... Kingsbury said he felt a sense of here-we-go-again on the sideline following Webb's first interception. "I felt the air come out of the sidelines. [...] You want to be resilient, but it did feel that way."

... Kingsbury said Webb's interceptions Saturday "were a combination of everything" and not solely on Webb. "Bad play calls, tough reads and not being in the right spot. [...] It's not on one person."

... Kingsbury acknowledged that the offense shows "moments of greatness and then it looks like the Bad News Bears."

Yep, that about sums it up.

KingGondo

Banned
Iowa State's AD has been fined $25,000 for calling out officials after the ISU-OSU game.

Big 12 Commish Bob Bowlsby: "To insinuate that games are called unfairly to negatively impact a program is irresponsible and completely baseless."

Tsk tsk, 'Clones. Know your role.

AntoneM

Iowa State's AD has been fined $25,000 for calling out officials after the ISU-OSU game.

Big 12 Commish Bob Bowlsby: "To insinuate that games are called unfairly to negatively impact a program is irresponsible and completely baseless."

Tsk tsk, 'Clones. Know your role. Stick to Cookin

Don't the Cyclones get hosed every year?

Lunar15

I just come on and I find out that Harris was accused of Sexual Battery and he's suspended indefinitely?

Goddamnit, we are doomed to Driskel forever.

Karl2177

Tsk tsk, 'Clones. Know your role.
I guess we'll start bending over again.

Eh, I don't think so. They just don't have the horses to compete in a power conference.

Also, good correction. That was a huge missed opportunity to deploy #Stick2Cooking.
It's more than football. We got screwed a few years ago during the KU bb game, in the NCAA tourney that same year against Ohio State, last year against Texas, last year against KU basketball again, this year against KSU, an then last Saturday. Out of these, the only one to not cost the game was last Saturday.

I know they got hosed by the refs against UT last season. Seems like I remember some other cases as well but I definitely remember Rhoads going off about that goal line non-fumble in the UT game.
I'll never forgive Mack Brown, and I have that ref's face plastered in my brain as the dictionary definition of 'incompetent.'

I guess we'll start bending over again.

I'm sure the Missouri Valley Conference will give ISU the respect they deserve.

On a serious note, I wonder what kind of leverage ISU actually has. Like how would the Big 12 respond if ISU threatened to leave the conference. Would the Big 12 bend over backwards to convince them to say or would they say "Bye Bitch" and invite UCF?

Karl2177

On a serious note, I wonder what kind of leverage ISU actually has. Like how would the Big 12 respond if ISU threatened to leave the conference. Would the Big 12 bend over backwards to convince them to say or would they say "Bye Bitch" and invite UCF?

lol

I'm not really sure. On one hand, we bring in revenue for wrestling, but not as much as OSU. We bring in basketball revenue, but not as much as KU. Our football is bringing in record numbers for us, and we're expanding the stadium, so there's money to be had there. We've fared pretty well for track and cross country, but again we aren't the big dogs in those sports. So for those few (and small) aspects I can see the Big 12 wanting to keep us, but otherwise they'd probably be fine with letting us go. We wouldn't leave because where would we end up? Probably some crappy mid-major or possibly the B1G.

Related: Funny thing is that I could see ISU finishing second or third in the B1G West, but yet finishing last in the Big 12.

EDIT: Tinfoil hat time. Bob Bowlsby, former AD of Iowa and UNI, aspired to the Big 12 commish to bring down ISU through poor officiating.

Or maybe you could find a new team?

that would be awkward, having gone to U. Mich. Alum and all that.

Well, he is a Cleveland fan, so he really should, in my opinion.

life has been hard lately. long suffering Cleveland sports fan who at least had Michigan football every year to enjoy mostly. Now I'm just long-suffering. Weekends would be numb for me if the Browns stunk.

At least I have our Cavs...and the Browns are looking like they're going to be good in a year or two.

Jhriad

Michigan AD Tells Upset Wolverines’ Fan ‘I Suggest You Find A New Team…We’ll Be Fine Without You.'

http://collegespun.com/big-ten/mich...-you-find-a-new-team-well-be-fine-without-you

classy.

someone pls fix my university's program. ;_;

Smart talk from a guy in charge of a program that has experienced sluggish ticket sales recently.

Yeah, they definitely didn't purposefully call 30 penalties against Nebraska in the game against A&M during their last year in the conference. Never happened.

AntoneM

Please tell me that you knew NDSU, who beat ISU this year, is in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

I would guess a fair amount of leverage, as would anybody who tries to leave the Big 12, since the next school that decides to leave (no matter their own prestige) would essentially be the death knell for the conference.

Anybody that wanted to leave would have to have a P5 offer to do it, though. Big 12 TV money versus lower conference TV money makes up for a lot of bad calls by the refs.

cdyhybrid

So apparently Mike Leach fired his special teams coach. Not entirely out there, because they gave up consecutive KO returns for TDs, but it seems like an MLB team firing the hitting coach a bit.

So I heard some stuff tonight that suggests that Gameday is coming back to Tallahassee for the FSU-ND game next week. Are there really no other big games that they can justify coming back for the second time already or do they just not care?

So apparently Mike Leach fired his special teams coach. Not entirely out there, because they gave up consecutive KO returns for TDs, but it seems like an MLB team firing the hitting coach a bit.

since when did you get a tag and why does the url lead to an unavailable youtube video?

cdyhybrid

since when did you get a tag and why does the url lead to an unavailable youtube video?

I've had it for a while, and the video worked when I first got it. I don't know why I got it, or what the video had to do with it. Maybe one of our resident mods can shed some light on it, if they keep records for that sort of thing :p

Enfinit

So I heard some stuff tonight that suggests that Gameday is coming back to Tallahassee for the FSU-ND game next week. Are there really no other big games that they can justify coming back for the second time already or do they just not care?
It's been confirmed to be the 8:00 PM primetime spot on ABC, so it would make sense for GameDay to be there. Looking at the Week 8 schedule, the only other decent match-ups are (17) K-State vs. (11) Oklahoma, (14) A&M vs. (7) Bama, and (16) Ok. St. vs. (9) TCU.

Considering ESPN doesn't particularly want their SEC pre-game show at the same location as GameDay, this rules out A&M vs. Bama. Ok. St. vs. TCU is covered by FOX Sports 1, and the A&M vs. Bama game is the CBS afternoon game. Also, ND vs. FSU is a top ten match-up with two very solid and GameDay-friendly fanbases. Sure, GameDay doesn't like going to the same place twice in one season, but considering the other games on the slate, ND vs. FSU makes sense, especially because of the ABC affiliate.

Just for the record, aside from being the second time GameDay visits FSU in this season (first time for the Clemson game), it's also the third time this season FSU's been in the GameDay location game (the first being the Dallas opener against Ok. St.).

Go Noles.

(25) Stanford vs. (20) Arizona State play that week, but who cares.

Georgia @ Missouri by 4
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 4
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 4
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 4
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 10
TCU @ Baylor by 10
Oregon @ UCLA by 4
Washington @ California by 100
LSU @ Florida by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 4
USC @ Arizona by 4

What is your lock of the week this week cyan???

I'll lock in northwestern to defeat minnesota to give you a chance hehe

It's been confirmed to be the 8:00 PM primetime spot on ABC, so it would make sense for GameDay to be there. Looking at the Week 8 schedule, the only other decent match-ups are (17) K-State vs. (11) Oklahoma, (14) A&M vs. (7) Bama, and (16) Ok. St. vs. (9) TCU.

Considering ESPN doesn't particularly want their SEC pre-game show at the same location as GameDay, this rules out A&M vs. Bama. Ok. St. vs. TCU is covered by FOX Sports 1, and the A&M vs. Bama game is the CBS afternoon game. Also, ND vs. FSU is a top ten match-up with two very solid and GameDay-friendly fanbases. Sure, GameDay doesn't like going to the same place twice in one season, but considering the other games on the slate, ND vs. FSU makes sense, especially because of the ABC affiliate.

Just for the record, aside from being the second time GameDay visits FSU in this season (first time for the Clemson game), it's also the third time this season FSU's been in the GameDay location game (the first being the Dallas opener against Ok. St.).

Go Noles.

(25) Stanford vs. (20) Arizona State play that week, but who cares.

I don't know how it all works over there but I assume game day is played in the morning/early afternoon before Eastern time zone games.

Hence it's pretty hard and not as big crowds for the live game day shows that are held on the pacific coast?

Also, Stanford v Arizona state game will be close, but it will be riddled with errors as well. You got a team that can't convert red zone downs against a very unpredictable team.

The pick of the games will be miss state v auburn but they can't go back to Mississippi again can they?

Sorry, you were talking about next week.

The pick of the games for week 8 will be nd v fsu. Two unbeaten teams (likely) and one or both are playoff contention

andycapps

Yeah, Erk Russell started that at Georgia and then took it to Southern when he went there. He took it from the Georgia Tech Athletic Association and hated Tech so much that he wanted to change around the letters and come up with a new saying. Stands for Get After Their Asses. The politically correct way that you'll hear Richt still say it is Get After Them Aggressively, but we know what the acronym really means.

UGA actually had GATA on the goalposts this year on the padding for the first game, and then they were gone after that. I think the conference asked them to remove them for some reason.

Erk had tons of those sayings. My favorite is probably "If we score, we might win. If they never score, we'll never lose." He liked to headbutt his players (while their helmets were on) before the game to get them pumped up.

EWHtPAZ.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Might have free ticket to go to dawgville this Thanksgiving. Parents are def going now as friends gave them 2 tickets and a parking pass. Think they have another pair for the waifu and I. Legit sauce.

andycapps

Might have free ticket to go to dawgville this Thanksgiving. Parents are def going now as friends gave them 2 tickets and a parking pass. Think they have another pair for the waifu and I. Legit sauce.

Maybe I've been out of the south for a while, but what is dawgville?

I got hosed last week (6 games right + 2 MoV bonus), but then again pretty much everybody else did too so I guess that's alright. I bet that at the end of the season, a lot of people's Week 6 gets dropped as their worst. Anyway here we go.

GAF Pick'em Week 7 Games

Georgia @ Missouri by 4
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 10
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 4
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 6
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 4
TCU @ Baylor by 6
Oregon @ UCLA by 6
Washington @ California by 4 I WANT TO BELIEVE
Penn State @ Michigan by 4
LSU @ Florida by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 4