• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 7: Katy Perry, Football Goddess. Everyone else, Cougin It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace 8095

Yeah, Erk Russell started that at Georgia and then took it to Southern when he went there. He took it from the Georgia Tech Athletic Association and hated Tech so much that he wanted to change around the letters and come up with a new saying. Stands for Get After Their Asses. The politically correct way that you'll hear Richt still say it is Get After Them Aggressively, but we know what the acronym really means.

UGA actually had GATA on the goalposts this year on the padding for the first game, and then they were gone after that. I think the conference asked them to remove them for some reason.

Erk had tons of those sayings. My favorite is probably "If we score, we might win. If they never score, we'll never lose." He liked to headbutt his players (while their helmets were on) before the game to get them pumped up.

EWHtPAZ.jpg
Yep. GATA belongs to the state of Georgia. I love the alternative uniforms and the focus this year of honoring our traditions, most of which were started by Erk.

Enfinit

I don't know how it all works over there but I assume game day is played in the morning/early afternoon before Eastern time zone games.

Hence it's pretty hard and not as big crowds for the live game day shows that are held on the pacific coast?

Yea, I'd assume that also is taken into consideration when picking GameDay locations. It airs 9:00-12:00 where I am (Eastern time), so that means it starts over in California at 6:00 AM. It can be tough to get a good crowd in the half-darkness over on the West coast.

andycapps

Yep. GATA belongs to the state of Georgia. I love the alternative uniforms and the focus this year of honoring our traditions, most of which were started by Erk.

Definitely, Erk made that program something. I like to see Southern succeed, look at them as a little brother. In a good way.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2014/10/7/6905177/hatin-ass-spurrier-puts-week-six

Heh

Hey Bobby, Katy Perry wants to call Trevor Knight because she's back on gluten and wants to try some of those great turnovers he makes.

Michigan State is our nation's college football hobo: just a quarter short of getting it together. (Also, has knocked out Bo Pelini recently in an unsanctioned street fight.)

Will Muschamp's runnin' the Weight Watchers offense - limited points, questionable long-term, and ends with you crying into a bag of chocolate chips in the shower.

Nice checkerboard trick in the stands, though. Neyland Stadium's now the quietest Cracker Barrel.

Losing to Kentucky is like shitting your pants: I do it about once every twenty years, and it usually comes from eating what some dude you don't know named "JoJo" cooked up for you.

Parity has ruined college football. And great fucking choice by adding TCU to the conference. They don't add any money and end up fucking shit up. Boykin is a cock sucker fluke mother fucker cat mother fucker cow mother fucker hamster mother fucker.

lol

andycapps

Man, I keep wanting to click one of these "Kim Jong-Un no longer in control of North Korea" stories and make a Mark Richt joke, but everyone would think I'm insane.

I'm always tempted to say ":jnc" in another thread but I remember that nobody will get it. Also, I would laugh at your joke, but I'd be one of the only ones.

Looks like Florida QB Skyler Mornhinweg got in a fight with a DL last night. Mark Richt has lost control of the Gatas.

Police received a complaint about a fight between two Florida football players outside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Monday night, according to a report from The Gainesville Sun.

A university police department spokesman told the paper that the two players, sophomore quarterback Skyler Mornhinweg and freshman defensive lineman Gerald Willis, declined to press charges against each other.

The spokesman, Maj. Brad Barber, said officers were called to the stadium around 7 p.m. and that only one of the players was there when the officers showed up.

Mornhinweg was expected to backup junior quarterback Jeff Driskel in Saturday's game against LSU in Gainesville.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm always tempted to say ":jnc" in another thread but I remember that nobody will get it. Also, I would laugh at your joke, but I'd be one of the only ones.

Looks like Florida QB Skyler Mornhinweg got in a fight with a DL last night. Mark Richt has lost control of the Gatas.
I think we're underestimating Driskel. I think he might just be this mastermind boss of a criminal syndicate, working from the shadows to sabotage any challengers to his role as QB for the Gatas.

Seriously. Dude has mad shadow puppetry skills.

andycapps

I always like these. HATIN' ASS SPURRIER PUTS WEEK SIX IN A RUSSIAN SPACESHIP

Some excerpts:

When you see a chance to pull a twig off the Dan Hawkins coaching bonsai, Oregon, I guess you gotta do it.

Good news is BYU's playoff hopes have their own planet now.

I did see their coach talking about people cutting other people's heads off, so it's good to see someone already understands how the ACC ends up with ten 4-4 teams in conference every year.

Nice checkerboard trick in the stands, though. Neyland Stadium's now the quietest Cracker Barrel.

Losing to Kentucky is like shitting your pants: I do it about once every twenty years, and it usually comes from eating what some dude you don't know named "JoJo" cooked up for you.

Hey Bobby Stoops: If I wanted to pay millions just to get humiliated by a fly-eating cold-blooded lizard in Texas I'd challenge Rick Perry to an election.

Don't feel bad, Bobby. If Texas Christians weren't so good at bamboozling folks, Joel Osteen would be substitute teaching.

I think the answer for Alabama's special teams is to get fans to tear down the goalposts before the game.

Showing up three quarters late to every game is a bold strategy, but Les Miles has always had issues with clock management.

You're a fool if you didn't have Miami losing to math's team by at least eleven.

Lunar15

How is it possible Driskel is only a junior?

God is evil and he's decided that we should be trapped in an Infinite Driskel Loop.

Also, why has no one suspected Grier? He's clearly sabotaged Driskel who is only getting worse, and all of his backups are going down the drain. Grier's just trying to get them to burn the redshirt as soon as possible. #followthemoney

mre

They've taken to calling him Palpatine
:jnc

Seriously, though. Can you guys just picture Driskel buying a prepaid cell phone and making an anonymous call to UF about Treon Harris sexually assaulting a student. Then, grabbing Morninwheg's cleats and making an offhand remark to another player (in earshot of Morningwheg) about how he heard Willis make a comment about stealing some guy's cleats.

Makes me wonder what he did to Brissett.

Kusagari

:jnc

Seriously, though. Can you guys just picture Driskel buying a prepaid cell phone and making an anonymous call to UF about Treon Harris sexually assaulting a student. Then, grabbing Morninwheg's cleats and making an offhand remark to another player (in earshot of Morningwheg) about how he heard Willis make a comment about stealing some guy's cleats.

Makes me wonder what he did to Brissett.

Do we know if Driskel has a sister? Maybe she took one for the family.

diehard

Fleer
Regarding Taysom Hill

"Every major ligament shredded. It’s significant. (Doctors) knew it was bad. When they got in there, it was worse.”

FUUUUUU

inm8num2

http://espn.go.com/college-football...apping-disrupted-nebraska-cornhuskers-offense

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini and Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio traded comments Tuesday over MSU defenders whose clapping disrupted the Huskers' offense in the Spartans' 27-22 win last weekend.

Nebraska center Mark Pelini, the coach's nephew, experienced trouble on several occasions in delivering the football to quarterbacks Tommy Armstrong Jr. and backup Ryker Fyfe, who played part of one series in the fourth quarter. The timing issues appeared to doom both of the Huskers' two-point conversion attempts, hampering a furious rally from down 24 points.

Bo Pelini said Tuesday on the Big Ten coaches' teleconference that he would speak to the league office about the clapping. If done intentionally to disrupt the offensive cadence, Michigan State should have been subject to a dead-ball penalty.

"You would hope they would catch it," Pelini said.

Dantonio said Michigan State employs "different ways" to "move our front," including hand motions and clapping.

"From my perspective," Dantonio said, "we can move our people however we want."

Told of Bo Pelini's intention to discuss the clapping with the Big Ten office, Dantonio suggested that Nebraska's center ought to look at the quarterback instead of relying on him to call for the football.

My long multi bet for this week:

central florida straight
stanford straight
oklahoma straight
northwestern +4pts
clemson straight
Miss state +2.5pts
NOtre dame straight
Arkansas +10.5pts
Arizona +2.5pts

$20 @ 41:1

Hey guys I'm back from my month long ban!

I still plan on winning Pick 'em

Georgia @ Missouri by 10
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 7
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 14
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 21
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 35
TCU @ Baylor by 21
Oregon @ UCLA by 17
Washington @ California by 10
Penn State @ Michigan by 42
LSU @ Florida by 3
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 10
USC @ Arizona by 7

Enron

Banned
Definitely, Erk made that program something. I like to see Southern succeed, look at them as a little brother. In a good way.

I don't. Fuck Georgia Southern. I remember when they came to Athens in 2000(back when I was a student) their fans talked SOOOOOOOO much shit about how they were big-time now and that they were going to surprise Georgia, Adrian Peterson (their all-whatever RB at the time, ended up playing in the NFL for a bit) was a heisman candidate, etc etc etc. And I believe we spanked them like 35-0 or something. South Ga rednecks. Ga Southern is where you go when you can't get into UGA.

Georgia @ Missouri by 7
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 4
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 4
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 7
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 4 (believe)
TCU @ Baylor by 7
Oregon @ UCLA by 7
Washington @ California by 4
Penn State @ Michigan by 14
LSU @ Florida by 6
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 4
USC @ Arizona by 7

andycapps

I don't. Fuck Georgia Southern. I remember when they came to Athens in 2000(back when I was a student) their fans talked SOOOOOOOO much shit about how they were big-time now and that they were going to surprise Georgia, Adrian Peterson (their all-whatever RB at the time, ended up playing in the NFL for a bit) was a heisman candidate, etc etc etc. And I believe we spanked them like 35-0 or something. South Ga rednecks. Ga Southern is where you go when you can't get into UGA.

I remember that. Eh, sometimes little brother gets a little cocky, that's when you put him back in his place.

Yaboosh said:
Is there a petition anywhere that we can sign to get him a few more years of eligibility?

Cosigned.

mre

That is awful. They need to reconsider their stance.
He won't. Bill Battle is an awful, awful AD, at least when it comes to situations like this. He's also the ass responsible for stripping our club teams of the "privilege" of using official UA logos.

Edit: I hadn't read this article yet. Bonner is also an ass for not lifting the block, but I get that she's backing Battle's position. Battle is still the bad guy here.

Reminds me of the shit Wisconsin was pulling a couple of years ago.

I hate the idea of the NCAA or universities limiting transfers on student-athletes in any sort of way. A normal student wouldn't be denied the ability to transfer to another school, and I don't think athletes should be treated any differently, regardless of whether or not they intend to compete in varsity athletics.

mre

Reminds me of the shit Wisconsin was pulling a couple of years ago.

I hate the idea of the NCAA or universities limiting transfers on student-athletes in any sort of way. A normal student wouldn't be denied the ability to transfer to another school, and I don't think athletes should be treated any differently, regardless of whether or not they intend to compete in varsity athletics.
I don't think we can go that far, unless you want recruitment of ALL players to continue even after they're at a school.

I think the transfer rules are more or less fair, though I would eliminate a school's ability to block transfers. Athletes are free to transfer schools but they have to sit a year before they're eligible to play unless they obtain a waiver from the NCAA. I don't think the former school should have a say in this waiver, unless they want to testify on behalf of the athlete.

There's always going to be athletes punished. Several years ago we had a TE, Colin Peek, transfer from GA Tech. Paul Johnson had just arrived at Tech and had, essentially, eliminated the TE position due to the system he ran. Peek got hosed and had to burn a year of eligibility when he transferred. Ideally, the rules would provide for athletes in similar positions to become immediately eligible to play, but then you open up the whole can of worms regarding determinations as to whether a new coach's system eliminates or makes redundant a current player's position or skill set.

andycapps

He won't. Bill Battle is an awful, awful AD, at least when it comes to situations like this. He's also the ass responsible for stripping our club teams of the "privilege" of using official UA logos.

Edit: I hadn't read this article yet. Bonner is also an ass for not lifting the block, but I get that she's backing Battle's position. Battle is still the bad guy here.

Honestly, some schools may have restrictions on where players can transfer if they're a rival, but I don't think that's the case here. I agree, it seems like they're trying to back each other here in a bad decision.

I think I posted about this a few weeks ago, but a UGA recruit stole a girl's cell phone while he was on a recruiting visit in a dorm. It's actually really creepy, she woke up and he was just standing there and said

“I saw you in here naked,” the warrant reads. A suitemate came and the man, who identified himself as “Derrick,” slowly backed out of the room. After he left, none of the five women in the dorm knew who the man was.

He is apparently still using her phone, despite denying that he stole it. She's fortunate she woke up when she did or things could have been much worse, I'd guess. Needless to say, UGA has dropped their recruitment of him when the student filed the complaint which led to a warrant.

He's still being recruited by everyone else, as far as I know, and it's a very extensive list. Keep an eye out for this kid, this isn't the last you'll hear of him in a negative light, I'm pretty sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom