• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 8: Biased Pollsters Prevent America from Experiencing Game of the Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What are academic bans generally for: failing to do work, not up to standard or cheating?

Just wondering about these ND players who are all currently banned.

They have missed a lot of games, so it mustve been pretty serious. Though I would say failing to do work or it not being up to standard isnt too bad.

The ND guys were cheating.

Jhriad

Forgot to subscribe to this week's thread so I didn't get my picks in. At least I know I wouldn't have gotten points on that Va Tech game regardless.

andycapps

fair enough then.

However, I thought student athlete's basically get a free ride so no need to cheat. Good on ND for taking a stand on it.
The free ride is the free education. There's at least some work that these guys have to complete, and they must have been cheating pretty badly to get suspended like this. There's a certain amount of leniency that athletes get that your average student does not get. They have tutors, people that meet with them regularly to see how they're doing in class, etc.

fair enough then.

However, I thought student athlete's basically get a free ride so no need to cheat. Good on ND for taking a stand on it.

Not at Notre Dame they don't. I had football players in a bunch of my classes and they had to do all the work that I did. The suspended players got sent before an academic review board like anyone who cheats or plagiarizes and got suspended for a year with a chance to be readmitted.

I'm debating whether I should go to the UCLA-Cal game this weekend. Not a fan of either time, but I just moved to California and I'd like to watch some college football. How's the tailgaiting scene in Berkeley?

AntoneM

I'm debating whether I should go to the UCLA-Cal game this weekend. Not a fan of either time, but I just moved to California and I'd like to watch some college football. How's the tailgaiting scene in Berkeley?

Depends where you're from. It's probably ok, but not some kind of event. I mean they also have the 49'ers and the Raiders right there.

Depends where you're from. It's probably ok, but not some kind of event. I mean they also have the 49'ers and the Raiders right there.

I went to UF for four years. Just looking to have a fun time on Saturday. Not looking to break the bank though, which I'm afraid might be the case with an NFL game.

cdyhybrid

I went to UF for four years. Just looking to have a fun time on Saturday. Not looking to break the bank though, which I'm afraid might be the case with an NFL game.

It's not like the SEC. If you want a football game with plenty of scoring and high-flying offenses, go for it.

If you want anything more, you won't find it there.

Here are my updated final picks. Why the fuck did I pick both VT and ORSt yesterday? I'm a retard. At least the Beavers took Utah into overtime, so I can feel alright about that pick. But Virginia Tech!? What the fuck happened out there? I only caught bits and pieces of the game, including what has to be on of the worst red zone performances I have EVER seen, when VT managed to shoot themselves in the foot about a dozen times right at the end of the first half.

GAF Pick'em Week 8 Games
*all games Saturday unless otherwise listed

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 5
(THU) Utah @ Oregon State by 4
Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 7
Iowa @ Maryland by 4
Virginia @ Duke by 6
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 6
UCLA @ California by 7
Clemson @ Boston College by 4
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 7
Missouri @ Florida by 4
Notre Dame @ Florida State by 7
Stanford @ Arizona State by 4

I'll get the rest in later.

Edit: Goddammit I blew both the Thursday picks, and it turns out VT is just straight up terrible. Not "sorta bad". TERRIBLE.

With VT losing to Pitt, has anybody done the math to figure out if it's still possible for the entire ACC Coastal to go 4-4 this year?

andycapps

Roll Damn Tide.

MutjzmW.jpg

andycapps

Stephen Garcia opened up his mouth regarding players signing autographs for money. As you can imagine, it's priceless.

Former South Carolina quarterback Stephen Garcia saw college players being paid for autographs “all day every day,” he told a Charlotte radio station Thursday.

“I wish it would have came to me, but they thought of me as some rich white kid so I didn’t really get a whole lot of benefits from that,” Garcia said on The Mac Attack show on WFNZ. “I mean, I’m just being honest with you, and that’s what it is. I saw it firsthand with a lot of players.”

“I am friends with a lot of players around the SEC and some of the stories they tell me, it makes the Todd Gurley thing seem insignificant by a long shot,” Garcia said.

“I’m going to go out on a limb and say it does not happen at Vanderbilt,” said Garcia, who is now a college football analyst for Saturday Down South. “I don’t think that is really prevalent over there. Maybe Kentucky not either, but every other SEC team, I guarantee you some of these guys are getting some handshakes with some cash in there.”

The most money Garcia heard of a college player receiving was $160,000 “for the season for autographs and stuff,” he told the radio station.

“I think it is absolutely ridiculous that these kids can’t profit from their name, their likeness, and sign their name on their own jersey,” Garcia said. “I don’t understand that, and I really hope that that rule changes. I absolutely think that these guys deserve to get paid for their own (dang) autograph.”

Garcia did not take any illicit money during his college career, he said.

“Not one dollar man,” he said. “Not a dollar was offered to me unfortunately.”

Garcia “absolutely” would have taken the money had it been offered, he said.

“I don’t know one person who would not take free money,” he said.

Jhriad

Money isn't free if it comes with consequences.

What consequences? Manziel had photos of him signing in a hotel room pop up (and video seen by some reporters and other non-NCAA affiliated individuals) and still barely received a slap on the wrist because it's impossible to prove they took money for the autographs. Is it obvious that they're taking money? Of course. It's very hard to prove anything if they're taking cash payments though.

Here are my updated final picks. Why the fuck did I pick both VT and ORSt yesterday? I'm a retard. At least the Beavers took Utah into overtime, so I can feel alright about that pick. But Virginia Tech!? What the fuck happened out there? I only caught bits and pieces of the game, including what has to be on of the worst red zone performances I have EVER seen, when VT managed to shoot themselves in the foot about a dozen times right at the end of the first half.

With VT losing to Pitt, has anybody done the math to figure out if it's still possible for the entire ACC Coastal to go 4-4 this year?

The Hokies QB looked 2nd string high school player bad.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The Hokies QB looked 2nd string high school player bad.

Davis Webb may be having a bad year for us thus far, but at least we can now be pretty sure that Brewer wasn't going to be the answer if he was still around. He's looked terrible all season from what I've watched.

Meier

Screen_Shot_2014-10-17_at_4.47.09_PM.0.png

Per a report from animal shelter volunteer Ralph A. Demeo, Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston rescued a stray German Shepherd puppy he found in the street and brought it to the shelter.
http://www.tomahawknation.com/2014/10/17/6996059/jameis-winston-rescues-stray-puppy

Some of the comments have been pretty amazing:
Has this been authenticated by JSA?
story checks out
P7P4OSL.png

---
Eyewitnesses report that Jameis was seen asking the dog "You stray?", to which the dog replied "I’m stray, if you stray".

Jameis then said "We stray, den!"
---
Somebody please photoshop jameis into the Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercial

"For 55 autographs a month..."
"That’s less than two autographs a day."
---
"There are not yet any reports on if Winston accepted money for this dog"

"Sources who checked the animal shelter website have found that Winston has turned in over 2000 dogs"

Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 7
Iowa @ Maryland by 6
Virginia @ Duke by 4
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 13
UCLA @ California by 7
Clemson @ Boston College by 5
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 10
Missouri @ Florida by 6
Notre Dame @ Florida State by 10
Stanford @ Arizona State by 4

Percy Harvin is a bad teammate and a jerk who likes to fight his own teammates. I would never have expected such a player to come out of Urban Meyer's sterling clean Gator program.

Zigzz14

I can feel it in my bones, tomorrow we are going to stomp FSU. I always give Michigan fans shit for being scum but FSU is the scum of college football. Tomorrow ND strikes a blow for the good guys and buries the scumbags of the college football world. I'm old enough to still be salty as fuck over the media's gift national championship to FSU in 93..........scumbags. Their scumbag QB, scumbag AD , and scumbag coach are all going to be touched by college football royalty tomorrow night. So pumped

KingGondo

Banned
Fuck Notre Dame and fuck Golden Domers, who as we all know are chickenshit.

You're no better than FSU, you're just shit of a slightly different odor and consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom