• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 9: Humble Pie, Driskel, 280,000 defrees, Driskel, riots, and more Driskel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
We're going to lose to LSU and, possibly, MSU. Our starting left-tackle just had surgery that's going to keep him out for 2-3 weeks.

Enfinit

Wait a second...

LSU beats Ole Miss
Auburn beats Ole Miss
LSU beats Bama
Bama beats Miss. St.
Ole Miss beats Miss. St.
Bama beats Auburn

If none of these teams lose any other games, isn't that a 5-way tie in the West?

andycapps

We're going to lose to LSU and, possibly, MSU. Our starting left-tackle just had surgery that's going to keep him out for 2-3 weeks.

I could see Bama losing to LSU on the road and then beating MSU at home. I don't think MSU gets through the regular season undefeated. I think Auburn has 1 or 2 losses on their schedule as well.

Times are tough in America. Even Nick Saban, the highest paid coach in America, received assistance paying off his home. Bless the Tide foundation and their generosity in helping this poor old man pay off his home Thanks Obama

Balphon

Wait a second...

LSU beats Ole Miss
Auburn beats Ole Miss
LSU beats Bama
Bama beats Miss. St.
Ole Miss beats Miss. St.
Bama beats Auburn

If none of these teams lose any other games, isn't that a 5-way tie in the West?

Yeah, there are plausible scenarios for a 5-way-tie in the SEC West. Comically enough, the tiebreaker ends up being determined largely by who wins the SEC East.

In other news, playoff committee to announce surprise expansion of playoff field to 5 teams, and Notre Dame will still get in somehow anyway.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a second...

LSU beats Ole Miss
Auburn beats Ole Miss
LSU beats Bama
Bama beats Miss. St.
Ole Miss beats Miss. St.
Bama beats Auburn

The only way to be fair to all of the SEC West teams in this scenario would be to leave them all out of the playoff.

mre

Jesus Christ. There was never a season in the BCS where you could make an intellectually honest argument that there were maybe more than 4 teams that might be the best in the country. All but four seasons, it was pretty fucking clear at the end who the two best teams in the country were.

8 team playoff is my limit. Anything beyond that, and we'll just have Ohio State, USC, Bama, and Oklahoma automatically make it every single season.
Four team "playoff" is fine with me for this exact reason. I think having a committee selecting the teams when there's only 4 of them is just fucking insane.

Unfortunately, 8 teams is inevitable and 16 teams will probably happen eventually as well because "fairness."

andycapps

Four team "playoff" is fine with me for this exact reason. I think having a committee selecting the teams when there's only 4 of them is just fucking insane.

Unfortunately, 8 teams is inevitable and 16 teams will probably happen eventually as well because "fairness."

8 teams makes sense to me and I could definitely see that happening at the first opportunity to change the rules.

FSU RB Karlos Williams is being investigated by Tallahassee Police for alleged domestic violence toward his pregnant girlfriend.

Branduil

4 is too little as long as there are technically 5 power conferences, to say nothing of at-large bids. I think 8 is the ideal number because you can give automatic bids to the conference winners and still have 3 slots left for at-large teams.

5 conference winners + top 3 at large. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if all 3 of those at large bids go to the SEC W

edit: What Branduil said

mre

4 is too little as long as there are technically 5 power conferences, to say nothing of at-large bids. I think 8 is the ideal number because you can give automatic bids to the conference winners and still have 3 slots left for at-large teams.
I see no reason to give automatic bids to conference champions, and as that seems to be one of the largest cited justifications for expanding beyond 4 teams in the playoffs, I'm fine with just 4.

andycapps

I see no reason to give automatic bids to conference champions, and as that seems to be one of the largest cited justifications for expanding beyond 4 teams in the playoffs, I'm fine with just 4.

I don't know about automatic bids, but provided that they're ranked in the top 8 after they win their conference, I think they should have the shot. As it is, we have the purely hypothetical scenario of 5 conference winners being ranked 1-5 and somebody being left out.

Then we also have the scenario where the majority of FBS doesn't stand a chance of ever being in the playoffs for their sport. I think 8 would open up things enough to where we could let Marshall this year get in at that 8th spot and see what they could do against the top team in the country. Yeah, they'd get destroyed, but it's settled on the field and isn't hypothetical what they would do if they had a shot.

To a degree I think all fans, whatever the school, probably think the media has it in for them and their team of choice, but in my talking with my friends and family (my father is particularly pronounced about this), the feeling that ESPN and the like have a sort of quiet bias against Nebraska in particular is not an uncommon feeling, I find.
With our constant fuck ups on the big stage the last few years, its easy to brush us aside.

The media loves history and tradition. Because of that, we're one conference championship away from being a darling again. But until we prove it on the field, we're just ice skating uphill.

Branduil

Better to give conference champs auto bids than give SEC teams auto bids for being in the SEC. Conference champions automatically getting in is much better than everything being decided by biased committees or polls.

5 conference winners + top 3 at large. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if all 3 of those at large bids go to the SEC W

I'd support this.

The problem with completely stripping out conference championships is that a conference could get completely marginalized based purely on the perception of the conference on not on reality.

And three at-large bids offers ample opportunity for the selectors to stack an eight-team playoff full of SEC teams, so SECSECSEC types should be fine with it.

Quite honestly, I think the idea of four teams being sufficient is laughable. It's just barely more decisive than the system we finally got rid of.

Maybe next weeks CFB thread can be attached with a poll

What is your ideal CFB playoff?

A. Top 4 ranked teams decided by committee
B. 8 teams all decided by committee
C. 8 teams consisting of all P5 conference champs + 3 at-large teams that will be decided by committee
D. 16 teams consisting of all P5 conference champs + 11 at-large decided by committee ( 1 mid-major or Independent guaranteed an at-large bid )
E. 32 teams or more should be in the playoff

Top 8. It's clean, it's simple. If it lets in 5 SEC teams and everybody else is mad, all the better.

I'd conditionally accept automatic bids for conference champs as long as the champ did not have 2 or more losses. I'll let a 1 loss "lesser" champ in (you can be a 1 loss ACC team and not even play anybody until the CCG and be nowhere near the top 8 -- see Duke sitting at 6-1 right now and doesn't have to play FSU or Clemson or even Louisville in the regular season), but a 2 loss champ is going to have otherwise demonstrate it actually deserves it, and clearly the 2 losses suggest the contrary. 2 losses or more, you're in the at large pool. 1 loss or less, welcome to the party.

Conveniently, it's typically unlikely for a 1-loss P5 champion to not be in or around the top 8, but I'll submit that a team like the aforementioned Duke could do it this year if they ran the table and pulled off an upset against (likely) FSU in the CCG. Even doing all that, they'd probably be somewhere around #15, and I'd let them in anyway. If they lose to North Carolina or Pittsburgh and still pull off a CCG upset and end up ranked #22, then sorry, they're out.

Top 8. It's clean, it's simple. If it lets in 5 SEC teams and everybody else is mad, all the better.

I'd conditionally accept automatic bids for conference champs as long as the champ did not have 2 or more losses. I'll let a 1 loss "lesser" champ in (you can be a 1 loss ACC team and not even play anybody until the CCG and be nowhere near the top 8 -- see Duke sitting at 6-1 right now and doesn't have to play FSU or Clemson or even Louisville in the regular season), but a 2 loss champ is going to have otherwise demonstrate it actually deserves it, and clearly the 2 losses suggests the contrary.

I don't think you could really set a hard cap on the maximum number of losses.

Hypothetically you could have a season with an extraordinary amount of parity and with only a small handful of teams with fewer than two losses.

I don't think you could really set a hard cap on the maximum number of losses.

Hypothetically you could have a season with an extraordinary amount of parity and with only a small handful of teams with fewer than two losses.

At large pool, that's what it would be there for. I'm not for leaving those teams out, simply not automatically putting those teams in.

CFB Week 10: there's so much SEC bias, this thread's about ethics in sports journalism.

eNpRBrW.jpg

AntoneM

C. 8 teams consisting of all P5 conference champs + 3 at-large teams that will be decided by committee
D. 16 teams consisting of all P5 conference champs + 11 at-large decided by committee ( 1 mid-major or Independent guaranteed an at-large bid )

F. Single 64 team super conference, the bottom 12 of which get relegated to mid-major status every year while the top 12 mid-majors move up. Every 4 years a championship is held.

so what happens in a 2007 repeat scenario

Would or would not LSU have been in the top 8.

Any 2-loss conference champ simply would need to qualify for an at large. If every champ has 2 losses, awesome. Take a number, we'll be calling 1 through 8.

Keep in mind, I really don't want to automatically include any conference champ, because not all conferences are equal so why even pretend.

andycapps

C but I don't think a committee should be involved at all. Use the BCS rankings.

Ganhyun

F. Single 64 team super conference, the bottom 12 of which get relegated to mid-major status every year while the top 12 mid-majors move up. Every 4 years a championship is held.

Why not just go with NFL Blitz's scheme then?

Divisions. Win your division you move up to the next and replace the lowest performing team from that division yearly. (we can do more than one, depending on the number of divisions of course) You only play the teams in your division.

Divisions. Win your division you move up to the next and replace the lowest performing team from that division yearly. (we can do more than one, depending on the number of divisions of course) You only play the teams in your division.

What is this, Euroleague soccer?

Hey chicko, we'll be calling games "matches" and the field "pitch" before you know it. Don't change for us, we'll change for you.

JCX

Northern Illinois to join B16 confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom