• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 9: Humble Pie, Driskel, 280,000 defrees, Driskel, riots, and more Driskel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Auburn would have already failed in a title chase and the ACC champion would not have.

Name me teams from the ACC who are worth a shit, and I'm including Florida St. in that. It's a shit conference and unlike last year Florida St. isn't steam rolling making them much less impressive.

The final four will be:

Mississippi State
Auburn
Alabama
???

I've got either Ole Miss, Georgia, LSU, A&M, South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, Florida, Arkansas, or Vanderbilt.

Ok. Your definition of a quality team seems to be SEC team, so I guess you are right.

Nah. I'd put Oregon in right now, as their win over Michigan St. is solid, and I'd also probably bump TCU up into my top 4 at this point. I doubt two SEC teams make it in now that Ole Miss lost, and I think Bama loses a second game in Nov, then beats Auburn, which knocks everyone out except Miss St who I think goes undefeated.

Honestly Miss St is the only team who I would feel good about putting into the playoff if it started today.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Nah. I'd put Oregon in right now, as their win over Michigan St. is solid, and I'd also probably bump TCU up into my top 4 at this point. I doubt two SEC teams make it in now that Ole Miss lost, and I think Bama loses a second game in Nov, then beats Auburn, which knocks everyone out except Miss St who I think goes undefeated.

Honestly Miss St is the only team who I would feel good about putting into the playoff if it started today.

Lol. Your logic is awesome.

Oregon has a win over Michigan State which is so much better than our wins over Ok St, Clemson and Notre Dame that it overcomes the fact that they lost to an average to good Arizona team.

Because Auburn would have already failed in a title chase and the ACC champion would not have.

I love how you're telling me that in this hypothetical scenario that a single loss to an undefeated team is worse than 2 or 3 losses to teams that were not. Auburn failed because it actually had another great team to play, and the ACC team did not fail because all the other ACC teams were decidedly junk (and, remember, the team that didn't fail lost to 2 or 3 of those junk teams). All because somehow a conference championship is magic, and we'll not allow the possibility that perhaps the 2 best teams in the nation are in the same conference or even the same division.

I tend to believe, however, that the Alabama/LSU matchup from a few years ago was the correct choice, and Alabama deserved that shot at the title.

Lol. Your logic is awesome.

Oregon has a win over Michigan State which is so much better than our wins over Ok St, Clemson and Notre Dame that it overcomes the fact that they lost to an average to good Arizona team.

OK State is a quality win now? Lol okay. And Clemson? No. Notre Dame is your only "quality" win and their inflated ranking is the reason why. And none were dominant, which Oregon's was.

I agree the loss to Arizona is an issue in logic but the injuries they had then versus where they are now is my reasoning.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
OK State is a quality win now? Lol okay. And Clemson? No. Notre Dame is your only "quality" win and their inflated ranking is the reason why.

I agree the loss to Arizona is an issue in logic but the injuries they had then versus where they are now is my reasoning.

Name the quality teams. Are there like three of them in your world or something?

OK State is a quality win now? Lol okay. And Clemson? No. Notre Dame is your only "quality" win and their inflated ranking is the reason why.

If Florida State drops a game, put them nowhere near the top 4, as I agree their competition would not support it, nor has their level of play (evidenced, in particular, by the loss, given that it would not be to that good of an opponent). As long as they keep winning, I don't know how you leave them out. Earned or not, an undefeated power 5 champion would not be left out of any playoff unless all the other champions were similarly undefeated, which we know cannot be the case this season. An undefeated defending champion? Oh my.

Edit: I said it earlier, but my top 4 in the playoff if it happened today would be Mississippi State, Florida State, Alabama, and Notre Dame. They'd probably go SEC for one semifinal and Florida State/Notre Dame rematch in the other. I just don't think the committee can leave a one loss Notre Dame team out, particularly given the "who/where/how" of that lone loss. You could argue for Oregon or Michigan State, but Notre Dame's loss is a far better loss.

I love how you're telling me that in this hypothetical scenario that a single loss to an undefeated team is worse than 2 or 3 losses to teams that were not. Auburn failed because it actually had another great team to play, and the ACC team did not fail because all the other ACC teams were decidedly junk (and, remember, the team that didn't fail lost to 2 or 3 of those junk teams). All because somehow a conference championship is magic, and we'll not allow the possibility that perhaps the 2 best teams in the nation are in the same conference or even the same division.

I tend to believe, however, that the Alabama/LSU matchup from a few years ago was the correct choice, and Alabama deserved that shot at the title.

Yeah no wonder, they didn't really deserve a second shot that year.

If Florida State drops a game, put them nowhere near the top 4, as I agree their competition would not support it. As long as they keep winning, I don't know how you leave them out. Earned or not, an undefeated power 5 champion would not be left out of any playoff unless all the other champions were similarly undefeated, which we know cannot be the case this season. An undefeated defending champion? Oh my.

Oh I agree there's no way to keep them out if they go undefeated, just that they at least looked impressive last year because they dominated their shit schedule. This year they look simply like the best of the ACC, which isn't much of a compliment.

Lol Georgia and TCU. Ok. You are right.

Since OK State apparently counted in your opinion, then I guess them, Oklahoma, and I think their loss to Baylor is a better loss than Notre Dame's loss to you.

Who are Georgia's quality wins by the way?

Scratch Georgia from my list, forgot how shit they were at the beginning of the year (though Clemson, which you used in your reasoning).

Hopefully a 2 loss SEC team doesn't make the 4 team playoffs, but we've had a 2 loss SEC team make it to the MNC without a playoff so you never know. If every team in all the other P5 conference has at least 2 losses, then take the 2 loss SEC team.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I just hope that the playoff committee's poll isn't a carbon copy of the AP or Coaches. Both polls are absolute failures at representing a true "top 25" teams week in and week out.

As it is, it is way too reactionary to what happens based on one game.

TCU getting fucked again. I would love to have Ole Miss or Michigan State as one of our remaining games.

Still too early, but if TCU wins out and their only loss was a 3 point loss to Baylor @ Waco then yeah they would be getting screwed if they weren't in the 4 team playoff. I think it would work out for TCU though. Remember last year we thought there would be 4 undefeated teams until the last couple weeks where Oregon, Alabama, and tOSU all lost upsets within a couple weeks of eachother. Late November is where National Championship dreams go to die.

C4Lukins

Still too early, but if TCU wins out and their only loss was a 3 point loss to Baylor @ Waco then yeah they would be getting screwed if they weren't in the 4 team playoff

I am also a UT fan and hate routing against them.

But TCU should have moved up a couple of spots. We did not lose to a 24 ranked team, and we certainly were not taken to the wire by an unranked team.

At least the meaningless ESPN power rankings have us at 5.

8-team playoff, 5 conference winners plus 3 at-large. That's ultimately the only format that is going to satisfy most people.

I hope so. If you think about it this way, in the past our national championship consisted of 2 at large teams. Under the format you mentioned, we'll have 3 at large teams + all 5 conference champions in the playoff. best of both worlds.

I hope so. If you think about it this way, in the past our national championship consisted of 2 at large teams. Under the format you mentioned, we'll have 3 at large teams + all 5 conference champions in the playoff. best of both worlds.

how do you do seedings for 8 teams?

Based on current rankings the teams would be something like:

Miss St, Bama, Georgia (SEC winner, 2 at large)
ND (at large)
FSU
Mich St
Oregon
TCU

Piggus

The final four will be:

Mississippi State
Auburn
Alabama
???

I've got either Ole Miss, Georgia, LSU, A&M, South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, Florida, Arkansas, or Vanderbilt.

You realize that Alabama and Auburn play each other and Miss. State and Alabama also play each other, right? Those three are going to knock each other out. Unless Alabama loses to both, at least two of those teams are dropping out. Mississippi State MIGHT stay in with a close loss against Bama.

My guess is one of three scenarios based on what Alabama does:

Bama loses both games:

1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State
3. Auburn
4. Oregon (suck it haters)

Bama beats Mississippi State but loses to Auburn:

1. Florida State
2. Alabama
3. Oregon (suck it haters x2)
4. Michigan State or Notre Dame or Ole Miss or Mississippi State

Bama beats Auburn but loses to Mississippi State

1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State
3. Oregon (suck it haters x3)
4. Michigan State or Notre Dame or Ole Miss

Neither Auburn nor Alabama will be in the top four with two losses. It just isn't happening.

1. MissSU
2. FSU
3. Bama
4. ND
5. Oregon
6. Michigan St
7. TCU
8/9.Auburn/Ole Miss (whoever wins this week)
10. Who cares......

Not possible for Miss. State and Alabama to both be in unless, like I said, Miss. State had a close loss against Bama. Even then I don't think they would be in.

And lol, ND isn't getting in ahead of us if we win out. They don't play in a conference championship, our conference championship is likely going to be against the team that beat us, and we have the current Heisman frontrunner. The "TV ratings" argument only goes so far.

Hopefully a 2 loss SEC team doesn't make the 4 team playoffs, but we've had a 2 loss SEC team make it to the MNC without a playoff so you never know. If every team in all the other P5 conference has at least 2 losses, then take the 2 loss SEC team.

well to be fair 2007 was a dumpster fire all around and there was only a single 1 loss P5 team lol (and LSU actually won their conference too)

Not possible for Miss. State and Alabama to both be in unless, like I said, Miss. State had a close loss against Bama. Even then I don't think they would be in.

And lol, ND isn't getting in ahead of us if we win out. They don't play in a conference championship, our conference championship is likely going to be against the team that beat us, and we have the current Heisman frontrunner. The "TV ratings" argument only goes so far.

My rankings are what I have as my top ten at this instant.

If Miss St lose to Bama but defeat Ole Miss, and they both win all their other games, how is the SEC West Champion decided? Head to Head? Bama and Miss St would have one loss each.

If its decided on Head to Head, Bama goes to the SEC final. If it destroys the SEC East champion there would still be the case of Miss St being in the top four.

Oregon still have a long way to go until they are Pac-12 winner and have a Heisman QB. I honestly dont think they will be one loss by the end of the season, I think they will slip up against Stanford (bogey team) or Utah (away to the in form Pac 12 team with something to prove) in the coming weeks.

And yes, if ND are also one loss AND FSU remain undefeated, then ND will get into the playoffs - guaranteed. There only loss wouldve been to FSU in the last seconds. If it is in place of Pac-12 winner or a second SEC team, that is up for debate. I personally would pick the second SEC West team.

So if FSU go undefeated the top four will be (LOCK IT IN):

1. FSU
2. ND
3. SEC winner
4. and either Pac-12 winner or second SEC team. If it is between Bama and Oregon, they will pick Bama, given their recent NC winning history and the perceived strength of the SEC West.

I will feel sorry for you, but woudnt be surprised, if they choose a two loss Bama team ahead of Pac-12 winner i.e. Miss St going undefeated and then destroying Georgia in the SEC final.

As I said last week, the best for the broadcasters is FSU, ND, and undefeated Miss St and Bama and the committee will be keeping the broadcasters interests in their minds (they shouldnt, but no doubt they will).

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
This discussion has passed into absolute stupidity.

Just wait for the end of the season, or even close to it. A lot of stuff could happen between now and then.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Nebraska wins easily and the AP drops them one spot. After the last few times they've done that this year alone (not to mention the past few years) I guess we should be used to it.

Thought the same thing but I agree with not bumping us up, too. One the one hand, I don't agree with dropping us down because, although a weak opponent, we still trounced Rutgers; the game was never close and we all still got our free damn Runzas. On the other hand, we looked pretty rough at moments. Not sure if we were that bad to warrant that, but still.

I do agree that I feel that sentiment at times, I feel it's been that way for several years too, but I agree with the drops the AP has dropped us this season (the scary McNeese win and the one loss to Sparty were the only AP drops we've had so far). To a degree I think all fans, whatever the school, probably think the media has it in for them and their team of choice, but in my talking with my friends and family (my father is particularly pronounced about this), the feeling that ESPN and the like have a sort of quiet bias against Nebraska in particular is not an uncommon feeling, I find.

This discussion has passed into absolute stupidity.

Just wait for the end of the season, or even close to it. A lot of stuff could happen between now and then.

We go through this every year. I think arguing about it is half of the reason people love the sport.

I mean if I was commissioner of college football there are a lot of things I'd address long before the post season came up. Things like making everyone play the same number of conference games, banning games against FCS schools, eliminating late season OOC cupcake games etc etc. Basically forcing the SEC to play real schedules.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
No, AB. No.

This is the United States of America. We need to know now.

but what if

tumblr_static_45ofi0il1l4wwk4k4s048wwk4.gif

I would laugh if Ole Miss beat Auburn, Auburn beats Georgia and Alabama, Alabama and Ole Miss both beat Mississippi State, and then Georgia ends up winning the SEC title game over Ole Miss, putting everyone at two losses (or even more hilariously, Missouri sneaks in and pulls it off).

(surely there's another scenario not involving upsets, but w/e)

Piggus

I will feel sorry for you, but woudnt be surprised, if they choose a two loss Bama team ahead of Pac-12 winner i.e. Miss St going undefeated and then destroying Georgia in the SEC final.

As I said last week, the best for the broadcasters is FSU, ND, and undefeated Miss St and Bama and the committee will be keeping the broadcasters interests in their minds (they shouldnt, but no doubt they will).

I think you're being a bit too pessimistic in terms of the committee only having the broadcaster's interests in mind. It would be called out and treated much worse than the BCS system if that were the case. There's absolutely no chance that a 2-loss SEC team would be ahead of 1-loss Oregon in any capacity unless those two losses were early in the season and our loss were to happen late in the season. You're giving the SEC way more credit than it's worth. :p

Also, again, you're forgetting that ND doesn't play a conference title game and that hurts them quite a bit. The ONLY reason they were in the national championship two years ago was because we lost to Stanford late in the season. We still ended the season ranked #2.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think you're being a bit too pessimistic in terms of the committee only having the broadcaster's interests in mind. It would be called out and treated much worse than the BCS system if that were the case. There's absolutely no chance that a 2-loss SEC team would be ahead of 1-loss Oregon in any capacity unless those two losses were early in the season and our loss were to happen late in the season. You're giving the SEC way more credit than it's worth. :p

Also, again, you're forgetting that ND doesn't play a conference title game and that hurts them quite a bit. The ONLY reason they were in the national championship two years ago was because we lost to Stanford late in the season. We still ended the season ranked #2.

Notre Dame was the only undefeated team that year. If yall wouldn't have lost it would have been Oregon Notre Dame not Oregon Alabama.

andycapps

Lol, why would we ever do that.

It turns out being a high profile team in a weak conference works pretty well for us.

We get the attention of a top tier SEC team with a quarter of the competition.

True, and Florida and Sakerlina would veto that as neither of them want the other in-state school (that matters) to join the conference.

I've got MSU, FSU, the Iron Bowl winner, and Oregon in right now. Lots of games to play, though.

Does the winner of the Iron Bowl skip the SECCG?
Lol Georgia and TCU. Ok. You are right.

Who are Georgia's quality wins by the way?

Mizzou and Clemson. Have Kentucky in two weeks which could be a quality win if they win against Mizzou. Then play Auburn and GA Tech later in the year and then SECCG if things remain as they are.

andycapps

We'd already have a new thread and pick 'em results if we went with Yahoo.

Sad that Georgia-Florida week is here and it's hard to find anything to talk about because Florida is so bad. Anything can happen, especially since Driskell won't be playing. Hopefully the NCAA finally lets UGA know about Gurley today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom