• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Champions Online Open Beta starts Monday

guggnichso

Banned
champions_logo.png

What it is: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG)
Developer: Cryptic Studios, Inc.
Release:

* Open Beta: Monday, 17.08.2009
* Preorder Head Start: Tuesday 01.09.2009
* Official Launch: somewhere between 03.09. and 06.09.2009, homepage is noch clear about that

Server Types: One Server for all types of gameplay, instanced into many "shards"

Players vs Environment (PVP): Arenas (1v1, Group vs Group and Free For All), objective oriented environments like WoW battlegrounds

Character Classes: There are no pre defined classes. Each character can essentially become tank, dps, healer or supporter and switch between those roles without much effort

Official Page: http://champions-online.com/

Why the fuck should you care:

• - Build your own super hero with an editor quite like the one in CoH/CoV, but even more refined and customizeable
    - Break out of those old WoW-style Tank/DPS/Healer-setups
    - Play a mmorpg with the Xbox-Controller and don't feel gimped
    - Build your own nemesis, an evil supervillan you have to face in the later game and who's special and unique to you alone
    - great looking cel shading graphics

System requirements:

• Minimum System Requirements
  • * CPU:2.5GHz Single Core or 1.8GHz Dual Core
  • * Memory:1GB RAM
  • * Video:NVIDIA GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon X700 or HD / Intel GMA 4
  • * Sound:DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
  • * DirectX:Version 9.0c or Higher
  • * HDD:5GB Free Disk Space
  • * Network:Broadband Required
  • * Disc:6X DVD-ROM

• Recommended System Configuration
  • * OS:Windows XP SP2/ Windows Vista/Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
  • * CPU:Intel E8400 Core2Duo or Better
  • * Memory:2GB RAM or Better
  • * Video:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or Better / ATI Radeon HD 3850 or Better
  • * Sound:DirectX Compatible Soundcard
  • * DirectX:Version 9.0c or Higher
  • * HDD:5GB Free Disk Space
  • * Network:Broadband Required
  • * Disc:6X DVD-ROM or Better

This is not quite an official thread, as release is 3 weeks away and because of a still existing NDA, next to no information from closed beta has leaked out to the internet, but still:

Who's with me in the open beta on monday?

And until the server opens, here are some movies for you to enjoy:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tutorial-walkthrough-champions-online/54160
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tutorial-walkthrough-champions-online/54161
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/big-boss-champions-online/54084
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pvp-trailer-champions-online/52747

organburner

Neo Member
Is there any info on whether the US and EU central servers are different or not?

Because a lot of the people I'd play with if I bought this are in the US. And that pretty much defines if I'm going to buy it or not.

(They probably are separate, but I might as well ask)

guggnichso

Banned
organburner said:
Is there any info on whether the US and EU central servers are different or not?

Because a lot of the people I'd play with if I bought this are in the US. And that pretty much defines if I'm going to buy it or not.

(They probably are separate, but I might as well ask)

As stated in the OP, there's only one server for everyone. Including US AND EU customers.

Hope it run's okay in Bootcamp. Hopefully they do like Warhammer did and get it running on OS X. Super excited to play it. I love WoW but I can only play it for little chunks at a time I'm just so tired of it. I'm one of those people who likes the Lore of the story so I hate canceling. :lol

Xabora

guggnichso said:
This is not quite an official thread, as release is 3 weeks away and because of a still existing NDA, next to no information from closed beta has leaked out to the internet, but still:
I have my preorder is place, but somethingawful forums has a ton of info from the beta.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...erid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=32#post364452788

And amazon keys should go out sometime on the 18th. I had to e-mail and ask why I didn't get one yet to find out.

Malfunky

It's a pretty fun game. I haven't had anyone to play with, so I'm hoping we can start a GAF supergroup in Beta.

I wonder if the NDA is lifted today or Monday?

JoeBoy101

Are we sure about those headstart times? According to my Beta Card here, the head start begins on 8/28 through 9/1 with the game officially starting 9/2 or 9/3.

Jube3

Quick Q for you guys who have followed this closer, I played CoH at launch and Im wondering how this game fares with picking characters out. What I mean is in PVP is there an easy way to tell what you are about to face aside from getting hit in the face with something. I.E a way to tell classes apart quickly.

Tamanon

Banned
Jube3 said:
Quick Q for you guys who have followed this closer, I played CoH at launch and Im wondering how this game fares with picking characters out. What I mean is in PVP is there an easy way to tell what you are about to face aside from getting hit in the face with something. I.E a way to tell classes apart quickly.

Nope, unless they're using an energy form. There are no classes, free form power selection!

Jube3

Tamanon said:
Nope, unless they're using an energy form. There are no classes, free form power selection!

oh damn thats thinking outside the box for an MMO, awesome. How has balance been so far in beta sorry if im asking in the meetup thread :( I will def be picking this up.

EDIT: Has anyone stated they wanted to do the OP for this game? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot or helping with it. I've only done one before but it was a lot of fun http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360579

Jube3

HixxSAFC said:
Nice one, Xabora.

Is the client up to download yet or am I just blind? :lol

Take that code to fileplanet put it in and you will get a downlaod link. 2gb file downloading at about 400k

Hixx

Ta.

Reading on the official forums it seems theres 4gig of patches to go through too... going to take all night at this speed.

Tamanon

Banned
I'll be skipping the open beta, after a weekend of the closed beta, I didn't want to repeat everything over again, will definitely be picking this up at launch. This game is awful for folks with alt-syndrome though.:lol

Well once again, I'm an idiot.

I entered my beta code this morning at Fileplanet and downloaded my client and I unlocked it right at 12:00 EST when it was unlocked and since then the server has said it was down and I couldn't patch. Then I realized, I never actually activated the code on Cryptic's site. When I was registering it this morning it said my email was already in their system so I guess I confused myself and assumed I was all set to go. I just entered my code and now the patching has begun. :lol

.2%

:(

JoeBoy101

Guys, check out the official forums if you haven't seen the patcher message. Apparently, if you make a file swap of the .hogg files, the patch size will go from 3.6 Gigs to ~1 Gig.

Xabora said:
Restart your patchers now, they fixed the server response and its zooming finally. :lol

Excellent. After I saw your post I restarted and couldn't get it working for awhile. Kept freezing up on me, not patching etc... Finally it's started and it's going fast. 2% in just a few seconds. Sadly, right as I typed this, it froze once again. That's killing me the most. I'm constantly freezing at different points.

And the .hogg switch worked for me. Took it down to 949MB.

Xabora

VGChampion said:
Excellent. After I saw your post I restarted and couldn't get it working for awhile. Kept freezing up on me, not patching etc... Finally it's started and it's going fast. 2% in just a few seconds. Sadly, right as I typed this, it froze once again. That's killing me the most. I'm constantly freezing at different points.

And the .hogg switch worked for me. Took it down to 949MB.
If the new patch server starts bogging down use the older server.

"<DRIVE>:\<PROGRAM FILES>\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online.exe" -sync -project FightclubClient -server 208.95.184.132 -port 7255 -name FC.9.20090815.7

JoeBoy101

The idiots gave a client to FilePlanet which put the .hogg files in the wrong directory. Check out the official forums for instructions on how to move them and reduce it to ~900MB. Also, if you have the old FP client, you can download the new one and reduce it to ~50MB.

1) Install the 27/08 preload download first, the one BEFORE this new one we have.

2) Start up the patcher, then exit...

3) Got to your X:\Crptic\Champions Online\Live folder, X being where you installed to

4) Move (not copy) the .HOGG files from the LIVE folder into the LIVE\PIGGS folder.

5) Download/Install the NEWEST FP download put up TODAY

6) Install in again, exactly the same way you did before making sure its the same directory.

7) Go in into where you installed it and AGAIN, move (not copy) the .HOGG files from the LIVE folder into the the LIVE\PIGGS folder.

8) Start up the patcher again, and it should only be 56mb you need to patch.

laserbeam

Banned
Bah fileplanet and their bandwidth rationing. Every mb downloaded it pauses for 3 seconds then downloads another mb then pauses on and on

Still freezing while patching all the time here.

If you are done with the patching, is the login server up to play? Anyone playing right now? :p

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
JoeBoy101 said:
The idiots gave a client to FilePlanet which put the .hogg files in the wrong directory. Check out the official forums for instructions on how to move them and reduce it to ~900MB. Also, if you have the old FP client, you can download the new one and reduce it to ~50MB.

source for that?

Because before they told ya to delete what was in the piggs file.

plus i don't know how to download the new client.

JoeBoy101

Sol.. said:
source for that?

Because before they told ya to delete what was in the piggs file.

plus i don't know how to download the new client.

Well, that quote is from a forum post, but now I can talk from experience. I download the beta client from FP last week. Downloaded it tonight and it was a different version. By moving the .hogg files into the correct directory and following the instructions, I'm now 73.8% into a 74MB patch. I know they are telling everyone now, wait, do it the normal way, but it still seems to make people try to download a 3.6 Gig patch.

Xabora

Rekhan's 4:10 edit:
We've been getting reports of patchers hanging on large files, particularly gameclient.exe and several .HOGG files. If you reach a point where you're more than 90% finished downloading that particular file, do not restart the patcher as it will cause you to lose all the progress on that particular file. Instead, please wait while the server finishes serving the file. This can take upwards of 10 minutes in some cases.

Also, we're currently looking into the issue where the Launcher Autoupdate is hanging. Please be patient as the Launcher works its mojo.

Thanks for your patience, folks!
Grab a snack.

Artadius

Hit F9 to bring up the transfer window to see the actual file download/patch process. I have just watched my gameclient.exe file get to 93.2% and hang, only to restart some ten times so far...

assholes

Gah, I really want to try this out. I don't have a pre-order or FilePlanet subscriber account though...if anyone has an account I could use to try it out, I'd be willing to trade something.

Send me a PM if you want to help me out! Thanks.

Tokubetsu

Yea, this patch is not working. Like, at all. 150mb is my record but then it just stopped downloading anything.

When I downloaded the updated FP client I sped up to 94% in about a minute. Then it chugged along to 95.2% where it's stuck. Think I'll follow the above quote and let it sit for awhile before starting fresh again. At least I got up to 808MB so only about 40 to go. :lol

Gah, screw fileplanet. I can never download anything from there if its over 1 gig. It just freezes at 99% and never finishes. Bah, looks like I'll try to find a mirror.

Top Bottom