• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Champions Online Open Beta starts Monday

I really wish I could see what the final xp curve is like before open beta finishes...
I also really wich they would fix the pvp que and how most quests you cant share making teaming rather pointless.

This game has so much promise but a few glaring issues.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
"All participants who help take down a Mega-Destroid will receive special perks and items which will be available to them at launch, including a “Mini-Destroid” action figure. Good luck!"

For taking part in the end of beta event which should begin soon.

firex

it was already going on before, but I can't log in. well, more accurately, I logged in, got my gadgeteer buffed to level 40, and then the server went down as I was buying powers and crap.

Ikuu

I think they are restarting the servers for the event to begin properly.

CAW

Where do you get the level buff, Millennium City?

I'm getting the following on the launcher:

No shards found: You have one ticket with 1 permission pairs, but no shards

Whatever that means. :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Game is kinda small, eh?

flowchart3_final.png

On the official site, it list MC, Monster Island, Lemuria, Snake Gulch and Stronghold as the worlds. What I want to know is what constitutes a "world". Unless Snake Gultch is the Southwest Desert and Stronghold is the Canadian Wilderness.

CAW

It's 2:00EST here right now. What time (est?) are they planning to shut it down? I was under the impression it would be running until the 25th.

_tetsuo_ said:
Game is kinda small, eh?

On the official site, it list MC, Monster Island, Lemuria, Snake Gulch and Stronghold as the worlds. What I want to know is what constitutes a "world". Unless Snake Gultch is the Southwest Desert and Stronghold is the Canadian Wilderness.

Both Snake Gultch and Stronghold are in the desert. There are five overworlds with multiple attractions and areas inside. Southwestern desert has the Project Greenskin military base, a ghost town, a toxic waste lake, Snake Gulch, Stronghold, a VIPER base, an alien base, Area 51 and some others. If it were a CoX game, the map would have to be chopped up three or four times.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Shockgamer said:
Both Snake Gultch and Stronghold are in the desert. There are five overworlds with multiple attractions and areas inside. Southwestern desert has the Project Greenskin military base, a ghost town, a toxic waste lake, Snake Gulch, Stronghold, a VIPER base, an alien base, Area 51 and some others. If it were a CoX game, the map would have to be chopped up three or four times.

Ya I've been to most all of those area's u listed, just not as far out as the others I guess.

Ventrue

City of Villains launched with six zones, and they were smaller. I think five is okay given how big they are. City of Heroes probably launched with something like 15 zones, but they were absolutely tiny.

firex

I like the way the world is done. 3 "continents" if we are talking in WoW terms, because you don't get a loading screen until you switch from MC, Desert or Canada unless it's going into an instanced dungeon. And I like that the zones aren't too obvious, but mob info needs to be more obvious... shouldn't have to click on stuff to see its level.

edit: need to add, still absolutely fucking pissed at the exp nerf. I did MC tutorial + full desert tutorial and I think I might have hit level 7 after I turned in the vault quest when I was in the non-tutorial desert area. I realize this probably isn't the exp curve they're going to use in retail, but holy fucking shit if it is, they turned the game into a grindfest as bad as any free korean MMO. Because I mean, soloing the vault, I got around 15 exp per henchman, and you already need tens of thousands of exp to level up from 6->7 by the time you are there. And I didn't even get to equip any of my quest rewards until I went to MC for the end of beta event and got my free level up to 40. So yeah, they'd better tweak this. Well, not better. They will... it's just a matter of will they tweak it before everyone's trial month is up or will it be later when everyone's fled the game.

CAW

Just a couple more screens. One of a new toon I created (Nukem! :lol ) and another from the end beta event which is going on now. Hopefully the admins will kick it up a notch, perhaps spawn in Dr. Destroyer??

vq4n5y.jpg

b6c1f9.jpg

ngvkvp.jpg

firex

nice duke nukem. I thought of making him myself (there's one guy in Millenium City running around downtown that looks like him, actually) but I think if I make a munitions guy, he's going to be modeled after the Doom Marine.

Naeblish

I played the open beta till lvl 6 or 7. I really like the fast combat, the incredible character editor which makes you curious to what kind of characters other people made, and the freedom with travel powers. But the game feels so incredibly small and closed, it doesn't even feel like an mmo beside the fact that you see some people walking around. I thought after the tutorial zone the game would open up, but i just raced through the desert area, which felt just as small. Seeing the diagram _tetsuo_ posted, what is there to do after playing a month? Don't get me wrong, i don't want or have the time for a grind mmo, but this doesn't seem like a world, more like a bunch of small area's.

shock33

Naeblish said:
I played the open beta till lvl 6 or 7. I really like the fast combat, the incredible character editor which makes you curious to what kind of characters other people made, and the freedom with travel powers. But the game feels so incredibly small and closed, it doesn't even feel like an mmo beside the fact that you see some people walking around. I thought after the tutorial zone the game would open up, but i just raced through the desert area, which felt just as small. Seeing the diagram _tetsuo_ posted, what is there to do after playing a month? Don't get me wrong, i don't want or have the time for a grind mmo, but this doesn't seem like a world, more like a bunch of small area's.

The desert area after the tutorial is tiny compared to when it gets opened up. After you do a particular mission the barrier drops, the actual area is massive compared to the small area you see immediately after the tutorial.

Ventrue

Naeblish said:

You're in the 50 person desert tutorial instance, not the 200 person desert public zone.

The one thing putting me off atm is the respec system only allows the last 10 powers. I'd really like a char planner to figure out what to aim for instead of kinda blindly picking powers.

Ikuu

MrPing1000 said:
The one thing putting me off atm is the respec system only allows the last 10 powers. I'd really like a char planner to figure out what to aim for instead of kinda blindly picking powers.
http://champions.zarzu.ch/championBuilder_0_2_2_setup.exe, I do like how you can mix up the powers, it's shame that a game that allows for so much customization is limiting people to only eight character slots.

CAW

firex said:
nice duke nukem. I thought of making him myself (there's one guy in Millenium City running around downtown that looks like him, actually) but I think if I make a munitions guy, he's going to be modeled after the Doom Marine.
Yep, that's what gave me the idea. A jogger that looked like DN. :lol

2gw7qlc.jpg

Xabora

Macattk15 said:
Is that really the loot that drops off "end bosses"?

I think I have better greens from my mid 20's .........
They still have not made the final pass to world bosses so the loot you see it just temp from what I heard.

firex

hmm, can't seem to get the game going on my gamepad which sucks. I think gamepad might actually be the better way to play... either that or some kind of config to shooter mode where mousewheel selects an active power, but left mouse remains the "fire" button for it. I notice when I changed to the more action controls over the default MMO controls, I liked the game way more and it mostly fixed my UI complaints. It's just not meant to be played like a regular MMO.

it might not recognize my gamepad, or it might be that I had to unplug and re-plug the receiver for it in the middle of the game.

firex

well, by the end of open beta they undid the low level exp nerf and balanced it so high levels are tougher to get, which I appreciate. Now I just want them to work a little more on balancing actual power sets, because from my experience most melee easily trumps any ranged set except munitions, at least for soloing (and so much of the game is soloing). And maybe gadgeteering, but gadgeteering is only really overpowered when you can stack tons of intelligence and presence and have the munitions bots and healing drones out.

Also they will have to go and finalize/update higher level equipment. Some stuff seemed to be decent, but in all honesty a lot of it looks like it's not even properly scaled up for a level 40 player, at least going by loot I got from the robot invasion at the end.

I'm also a little frustrated by most of the energy blaster classes even though apparently closed beta people say they are the true overpowered classes... I guess it just takes time and then they become super strong, because at low levels it feels like you buy personal force field or you die, and most of the abilities can't be used to their full potential. But I think that's also a problem with stats that they need to address, because it feels like every blaster type needs 3 stats, and it's tough to get your 3 stats (varies a little between types) without having extra crap in other stats you don't need.

Plissken

Anyone start playing with the Headstart this weekend? I was on the fence with this game, but a friend convinced me to try it with him, so I pre-ordered it and got into the Headstart. I thought I would spend the weekend leveling to 40, instead all I have done is create guys :lol

I've probably made close to 20, but only kept these 3 so far:

screenshot_2009-08-30-02-10-38.jpg

This is my Munitions guy, undead gunslinger.

screenshot_2009-08-30-02-11-53.jpg

This is a Might guy, sorta a Spartan from hell, or something.

screenshot_2009-08-30-02-13-04.jpg

And this is my first attempt at mixing powers, a Force/Telekinesis character.

Honestly, I could spend weeks just with the character creator, let alone the actual game (which has been surprisingly fun so far).

preordered from gamestop.com (the shipped version) and it sent a preorder code in the email so I could play early.

first char
co1.jpg

probably be in the Something Awful guild, they always seem to have fun :lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Really really disappointed with Cryptic

I've been playing early start, having a good time.

Then retail comes, they drop a GIANT Nerf patch right on the game on launch day, with no respec option, and no patch notes. (Respec is supposed to be offered after the game goes back online after a significant amount of bitching)

Now you have to play certain builds if you want to solo like you were before, some builds will fall to just a couple of henchman. An interview with the lead on the game says that the majority of those who are playing at happy with the game, but from what my brother and I see, 1/3 being happy is probably being generous.

Now today they have a 600 meg patch, servers have been down for hours now. Very glad I did not turn my pre-order into a purchase. I really wanted a new refreshing MMORPG...
Based on how quiet it's been in this thread, and the response from the CSR when I canceled my 6 month subscription, not looking good for the game.

Plissken

Yeah, I'm starting to regret picking up my pre-order; if things keep going the way they are, I doubt I will play past the free 30 days. The retcon/respec system needs a total overhaul, it's just hopelessly broken right now.

Plissken said:
Yeah, I'm starting to regret picking up my pre-order; if things keep going the way they are, I doubt I will play past the free 30 days. The retcon/respec system needs a total overhaul, it's just hopelessly broken right now.

I`m almost feeling the sameway. But I`m going to give it a go for a couple of weeks and see what happens. If anyone is looking to team up for some running around look me up
"captmorgan"

Plissken

So, a week later and despite the free Retcon, I still really dislike the entire system. I can see myself hitting 40 and wanting to change some of the leveling powers, but not having anywhere near the money needed. The XP and resource amount from mobs is just far too low. To be honest though, even if they fix that I doubt I will stick around, there just isn't enough content to keep me interested.

I'm level 21 now, my friend and I have been duo-ing everything so far, and we're starting to run out of quests at our level. It really feels like if you miss ONE quest chain (or hell, just one quest at all), you won't hit the level cap without an insane grind (since the XP per mob is way too low). If I manage to hit level cap, there will be nothing to do (PvP is boring, and I don't plan to raid) since I will likely have done everything available to get to the cap. Normally I would start over with a new character when hitting the cap, but having to do the EXACT same quests/zones again just isn't appealing. Oh well, I guess I will try out Aion when that launches.

Oh, and it's funny to me that the character I have the most fun playing is the least visually creative one I've made thus far :lol (dual blades):

screenshot_2009-09-12-00-48-38.jpg

Top Bottom