• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Champions Online Open Beta starts Monday

eznark

Banned
:lol Went to the support page, clicked on the "click here for workaround" link and it shot me back to the homepage.

Beta pushed me from day one to whenever patch 2.0 or so comes out.

Malfunky

Forgot about this. Here are some cool costumes I found the other day to show you guys what can be done. These ones are all "clones." Try to name them.

asdadddeaa.jpg
comedian.jpg

psylocke.jpg
screenshot_2009-08-10-00-09-56.jpg

skeletor.jpg
toystory.jpg

And a couple of mine.
Metroid Chozo with Samus-ish Armor
Batman Beyond
Supermann Rip Off | Picture 2
One of my "actual" characters
MGS4 Raiden

eznark

Banned
Got to the login page! Woo hoo! Logged in, now nothing. Just a page saying The Champions Online website is currently down for maintenance and a PATCH status bar doing nothing. (says no shards found underneath)

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I redownloaded from fileplanet.

The new one gives me 958MB to go.

I have the pre-load and the new one. If i try to mash em togeather like suggested earlier. Some of the pigg files lock themselves. So now i gotta try n' download this bullshit and it just sits there showing no progress.

Fuck this shit. I'm tired of computers for a lifetime. Back to the XBOX.

laserbeam

Banned
StormyTheRabbit said:
Trying to download the 900mb patch. Hopefully it will be over my morning.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

laserbeam said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yeah right? 14.2mb SO FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

:(

laserbeam

Banned
StormyTheRabbit said:
Yeah right? 14.2mb SO FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

:(

The method they use for patching is so horribad that if we are lucky they might have it fixed by tommorrow to download. I only have a small bit to go and its been that way for hours. Seems like half their download servers vanished

laserbeam said:
The method they use for patching is so horribad that if we are lucky they might have it fixed by tommorrow to download. I only have a small bit to go and its been that way for hours. Seems like half their download servers vanished

On their site, they said expect the patches to start flowing better in about 6 hours. I'd say sometime tomorrow things will pick up.

laserbeam

Banned
StormyTheRabbit said:
On their site, they said expect the patches to start flowing better in about 6 hours. I'd say sometime tomorrow things will pick up.

Servers were just taken down completely patch wise so Id guess whatever fix they have been working on is being applied now

firex

OB fix seems to have worked for me so far. download's still slow but it's stable and faster than before, and smaller.

Downloaded the OB fix and installed. Now the patch is for about 2 gigs verses 900mb. Oh well, I'll see how it goes.

Scratch that, now its like 3.6 gigs. wtf

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
:( I have been downloading this for a couple hours now. First the client, which took me about 3 hours from the Fileplanet servers, and now the patch which has been going for another couple hours. FML!

sbarbati

So... is anyone actually playing this? Or is cryptic just releasing patch after patch just to see how long we'll sit around waiting to play...
I'll sit forever

I can get on.

No there is nowhere else to dl the client server other than fileplanet.

Apparently the newest client server works with no patching required. If you don't want to have to download it again, here is what I did to get this game working:

1. Install whatever client server you have (mine was the first OB iteration which is broken)
2. DL And apply the stand alone patch http://champions-online.com/node/172973
3. DL and copy and paste the exes.hogg file that someone has uploaded on megaupload
http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=32403

The link in the OP of this forum is broken, skip to one of the last pages to get a good link.

After doing that the updater just shot through the patching process, maybe 5 minutes tops. It didn't actually need to DL anything though, cause it said 0kb recieved.

JoeBoy101

I was able to get in last night. Quick question for those who might have been in closed beta: Are there costume choices that are locked out for the Beta? There are quite a few choices where its like 'Tech Armor 2' but there is no 'Tech Armor 1' or stuff like that.

Game is pretty awesome, but the power framework customization is really deep. Having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Hixx

Ran the patch thing and it did SFA, still on 869MB and stalling every 2 mins. Just downloading the new client from Fileplanet, should be done in an hour. Shame I have a hospital appointment in 2 :lol

eznark said:
I ran the patch OB fix and get the same news site, with the server down notification in the top right.

The client server you mean? and it ways the server is down? I dont' know, restart and try again? I guess maybe the server could be down right now...not sure.

Be sure to replace your .hogg file like I instructed.

eznark

Banned
Is anyone actually able to get into the game right now?

Be sure to replace your .hogg file like I instructed.
Did that and still getting stuck at the splash screen after log-in. There is the "Patch" status bar at the bottom but it's dark and underneath it says "No shards found"

eznark said:
Is anyone actually able to get into the game right now?

Did that and still getting stuck at the splash screen after log-in. There is the "Patch" status bar at the bottom but it's dark and underneath it says "No shards found"

Yeah its not connecting to the client server. Are you in the US?

You could try closing and starting multiple times, be sure to wait for the little icon to dissapear in the bottom right hand corner of your taskbar, where your other applications are, before starting again.

If you're having no luck, you may want to reinstall the game and follow the steps again. Sucks man, maybe I got lucky with my method I dont' know.

Haha, oh man, this game is great. I spent a good twenty minutes creating my guy and just looking at those screens I want to make more. I wish there was a little menu where you could change your powers as you go. You choose your powers first but once you get into the character creation part with all the gear, I wanted to change but I didn't start over. For now, my guy looks pretty awesome.

Super small dual-blade swordsman named Zorken out to find answers for his planet's destruction. :lol

So far, awesome game. I hadn't been keeping up with it so when I was running around and found out I could pick up objects to hit and throw with like barricades, my mind was blown. I like the animations and the starting zone is so much better than other starting zones in other MMO's. Interface seems pretty good, not to different from WoW and the like. Lots of customizations.

One thing that bothers me is that it has some graphical lag but I assume it's just my computer I'm using. I'm bootcamped into XP so obviously it isn't the most powerful computer specs but I'm able to run Steam games on pretty high settings. I'll play around with the settings more later but it crashed on me twice when I was changing them. It's nice though because it's all real time.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it as I'll be heading out for the day soon but I'll post back with more impressions.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
TheRagnCajun said:
If you're having no luck, you may want to reinstall the game and follow the steps again. Sucks man, maybe I got lucky with my method I dont' know.

FYI: I followed TheRagnCajun's method with the 15th August Fileplanet Open Beta client and it worked.

I'm also in Europe. HTH.

bandresen said:
FYI: I followed TheRagnCajun's method with the 15th August Fileplanet Open Beta client and it worked.

I'm also in Europe. HTH.

Good I'm glad it worked for someone.

Yeah Windows 7 is just one more thing that can go wrong. I've got Vista 64 and XP installed on my computer and whenever I have a software problem I can't solve I try booting in XP to see if it makes a difference.

As for the game itself. Its similar to CoH but generally better in every catagory. The graphics are great if you've got the card to produce them - they have a funny idea of what 4x anti alliasing is though. I was very impressed with the starting zone. The game has a very good start. Plenty of customization, not only in costume but in powers and stats. Its a very open pallate, there's no classes - but if you want to be really good at something you'll need to focus a lot on it and specialize, ie tank, healer, dps, buff, mezz.

JoeBoy101

VGChampion said:
Haha, oh man, this game is great. I spent a good twenty minutes creating my guy and just looking at those screens I want to make more. I wish there was a little menu where you could change your powers as you go. You choose your powers first but once you get into the character creation part with all the gear, I wanted to change but I didn't start over. For now, my guy looks pretty awesome.

Super small dual-blade swordsman named Zorken out to find answers for his planet's destruction. :lol

So far, awesome game. I hadn't been keeping up with it so when I was running around and found out I could pick up objects to hit and throw with like barricades, my mind was blown. I like the animations and the starting zone is so much better than other starting zones in other MMO's. Interface seems pretty good, not to different from WoW and the like. Lots of customizations.

One thing that bothers me is that it has some graphical lag but I assume it's just my computer I'm using. I'm bootcamped into XP so obviously it isn't the most powerful computer specs but I'm able to run Steam games on pretty high settings. I'll play around with the settings more later but it crashed on me twice when I was changing them. It's nice though because it's all real time.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it as I'll be heading out for the day soon but I'll post back with more impressions.

If you hit back to power selection and then move forward, it should save all your choices. OR, you can make your guy, Save the costume (via the SAVE button), go reselect the powerset and then re-load the costume.

OR, you can simply wait until after the tutorial and when you hit the first Powerhouse, you can reselect everything. When you level up and choose talents, powers, etc., none of them lock in until you leave the powerhouse and there are training rooms in the Powerhouse to see how the work, what they look like, and whether you are happy with them. I'm currently playing around with the mystic sets of Supernatural, Darkness, and Sorcery to get a controllerish melee/close-up character.

Oh, and you can respec there at fairly small cost. Bear in mind, you can't customize weapons like guns and swords until you reach a tailor after the tutorial.

JoeBoy101

Whelp, having tossed in a handful of hours, I thought I'd go into what I think of the game so far. So without further ado...

PROBLEMS

I wanted to get some of my issues with the game out of the way first. First off is the theme and general style of the game, which is heavily exaggerated. Let's face it, CoX comparisons will always be used, but I do like that CoX kept their style from getting to ham-handed. That is NOT the case with Champions. Characters looking very puffed out, dialogue that makes you wince horribly, ridiculous scenarios abound. Everything is completely over the top. It doesn't make it unplayable at all, but they were adamant about it being a modern comic book and its nothing like any I read. Maybe from the 60's or 70's. This over the top style is probably my biggest issue with the game.

The controls feel a little sluggish and unresponsive. Again, not enough to be unplayable, but enough to irritate slightly.

A little more explanation is need in the game right now. It feeds into one of the good things about the game, but with so many submechanics in the gameplay and the depth of the power frameworks, a bit more documentation/hand-holding is needed to get a grip on exactly what is being provided.

Maybe I haven't researched it enough, but there seems to be a lack of lore to the game. Before CoH launched, I had read about enemy groups, history, so forth. Some of that is in Champions and more is certainly expounded upon in game, but a better primer beforehand might have been handy.

That said.

LEAPS AND BOUNDS

Champions have gotten all sorts of things right. The easiest place to start is the character creator as it provides more points of customization, material types, costumes, patterns, color combinations, body scaling, passive stances, expressions, and more. It is as comparably advanced as CoH was when it launched compared to other character creators of the day. Nothing comes close.

This customization bleeds further into powers, where you can modify most colors for the powers out there (though only the primary colors, hues are not supported yet [i.e., you can have white but not black]). You can also choose emanation points for some powers, so beams can shoot from your palms, or fists, or eyes, or chest, etc.

But, for me, the real shine is on the powersets themselves. NO POWERS ARE PROHIBITED.

Go ahead and read that again, I'll wait.

When you build your character, you are only limited by the tier and number of overall powers you can get. A great example is my character, Lugnut. He's a head and torso in a suit of armor with robotic limbs. Now, I can take a few Might powers for melee, but then shift over to Power Armor for a couple of the passive defense/resistance powers. Toss in a couple of their nice ranged powers from Power Armor, and then go back to Might for some of the buffs and more melee abilities. I didn't choose a 'tank'. You don't choose any class. The sum total of your powers, how you have loaded them out, and how you use them defines your character. This is the single most powerful development in an MMO I have seen in years.

In fact, its a little disorienting at first, as I couldn't find powersets to fit my thematic characters. Truth is, I have to make them. And that is sexy.

As for actually leveling and gaining powers, let me quote my previous post:

... when you hit the first Powerhouse, you can reselect everything. When you level up and choose talents, powers, etc., none of them lock in until you leave the powerhouse and there are training rooms in the Powerhouse to see how the work, what they look like, and whether you are happy with them. I'm currently playing around with the mystic sets of Supernatural, Darkness, and Sorcery to get a controllerish melee/close-up character.

Oh, and you can respec there at fairly small cost.

Graphics, aside from the artistic side, are very well done. And I have to give great kudos to Cryptic for giving me the option for REMOVING the cell shading. I'm not a big fan of it, and I'm glad they showed the forbearance to think of those who aren't.

Sound is a little wonky as some sounds are too loud and some too low. Now, before you say adjust the volumes, the issue is like the level up sound plays not on sound effects volume, but on music volume. Its a little weird figuring out how to balance it.

Combat is very interesting as well. Typically you have less things to play with than in WoW or even CoH, but combat is faster and more engaged than both. As you attack with your auto-attack energy building power (your basic first attack) you use that energy to activate/charge/maintain a much more potent secondary power. This could be a melee/crowd control/ranged/etc. power. Whats more, when fighting more powerful enemies, they will occasionally flash an icon representing a build-up attack where, you need to block to avoid knockback, being held, etc. In all, the combat feels more entertaining and, getting to the point, more superpowered.

Travel powers. I could mention there are ice slides. Hover disks. Tunneling. Swinging. Rocket Boots. Super Jumps. Multiple Flight types. And more. But the single exclamation of how awesome their travel powers are come down to this: They have done Teleportation right. That is all.

Oh, and you get your travel power right after the tutorial.

Finally, there is scope. The tutorial is you helping save the city from an alien attack. But this is no green-eye glowing zombies. Attack ships swoop down for bombing runs, aliens converge and attack barricades. Destruction is all over the place, with one skyscraper collapsed onto another ala Cloverfield. A huge mothership looms ominously above. And before the tutorial is over, you meet the signature hero and help defeat an arch-villian.

And that's the tutorial.

Champions Online has alot of greatness going for it, and with some ironing out of technical issues, it really could stand as a next gen MMO.

TheRagnCajun said:
You're right about the teleportation. It was sooo cumbersome to use in CoH.

Did what you said, and I still have a 3.6 gig patch to DL. Sucks because I stopped the download after I let it go all night and was at 60% =\

Now I'm going to have to try out teleportation because I want to see how it's done right. I watched videos but I've really got to try it out for myself.

StormyTheRabbit said:
Did what you said, and I still have a 3.6 gig patch to DL. Sucks because I stopped the download after I let it go all night and was at 60% =\

Just let it run for a while. You should still have most of your progress from DLing last night unless you reinstalled.

Part of the problem is that you can't trust what the launcher says. Its bugged. If you applied the stand alone patch and pasted the data file then you should be well on your way at least, even if the installer says 3.6 gb. You actually have much less than that. Keep in mind that's the uncompressed size of the patch too, the full patch that your downloading is only 400mb compressed.

If you've done what I said I think the next step I'd say is to let it run for an hour. One thing you can do is press x during the patching and you can view the ip adress of the server you're DLing from. Some people have said there are problems with the one that ends in 25. If you get that server you may want to restart.

If you're getting a 'no shard' message or invalid beta key message thats an isolated issue and you neeed to contact support.

TheRagnCajun said:
Just let it run for a while. You should still have most of your progress from DLing last night unless you reinstalled.

Part of the problem is that you can't trust what the launcher says. Its bugged. If you applied the stand alone patch and pasted the data file then you should be well on your way at least, even if the installer says 3.6 gb. You actually have much less than that. Keep in mind that's the uncompressed size of the patch too, the full patch that your downloading is only 400mb compressed.

If you've done what I said I think the next step I'd say is to let it run for an hour. One thing you can do is press x during the patching and you can view the ip adress of the server you're DLing from. Some people have said there are problems with the one that ends in 25. If you get that server you may want to restart.

If you're getting a 'no shard' message or invalid beta key message thats an isolated issue and you neeed to contact support.

Well I'm just redownloading the client. I think I may have nabbed the bad one yesterday and this is a whole new version I'm seeing verses what people are saying on the forums. The one I'm getting it 9.20090825.7. So I'm going to download that, see if it even patches, then if it does I'll try the fix.

JoeBoy101

VGChampion said:
Now I'm going to have to try out teleportation because I want to see how it's done right. I watched videos but I've really got to try it out for myself.

When you trigger teleportation, you enter a mode not unlike wisp/death mode in WoW where everything becomes faded. Your speed goes through the roof and you can move in all directions except through things. While activated you disappear and cannot affect or be affected until it ends. It only lasts for 5 seconds, but you can trigger it immediately after it ends for another 5 seconds, so the affect is not unlike Nightcrawler.

If you use it to escape combat, when it ends, you have to wait for a 10(?) second cooldown. If you reappear in air, you slowly float to the ground.

Its probably the most effective way they could do teleport.

StormyTheRabbit said:
Well I'm just redownloading the client. I think I may have nabbed the bad one yesterday and this is a whole new version I'm seeing verses what people are saying on the forums. The one I'm getting it 9.20090825.7. So I'm going to download that, see if it even patches, then if it does I'll try the fix.

cool, you may still need the stand alone patch, but you shouldn't need the data.hogg

TheRagnCajun said:
cool, you may still need the stand alone patch, but you shouldn't need the data.hogg

Wait, so would you be so kind to link me to everything I may need? This is getting ridiculous to try an open beta, but by god I will!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The fileplanet client has been updated to the latest version.

I don't like the game. Not my cup of tea. However, a lot of effort went into mapping the controls to the 360 pad, maybe they will port this eventually.

Tamanon

Banned
godhandiscen said:
The fileplanet client has been updated to the latest version.

I don't like the game. Not my cup of tea. However, a lot of effort went into mapping the controls to the 360 pad, maybe they will port this eventually.

It's already got a release date for early next year for 360, was being designed from the ground up for both.

Which is what would've made it even funnier if it was still a Marvel game, we would've had Marvel vs DC on Xbox vs PS3.

StormyTheRabbit said:
Wait, so would you be so kind to link me to everything I may need? This is getting ridiculous to try an open beta, but by god I will!

Well You're already DLing the .7 version of the game, which is good. That version shouldn't require any patching, it should just run after installed. however some have reported that they still needed to apply the stand alone patch, which is just a patch which can be DL'ed from a link I provided further up the page. Its just a seperate file that you can apply instead of using the client server to dl the patch.

Its such a shame that there are so many hoops to jump through to play this game. 3 client servers is 2 too many. The game actually runs very well and there are few hitches and bugs, its just the damn software that is used to update the game that is horribly broken.

TheRagnCajun said:
Well You're already DLing the .7 version of the game, which is good. That version shouldn't require any patching, it should just run after installed. however some have reported that they still needed to apply the stand alone patch, which is just a patch which can be DL'ed from a link I provided further up the page. Its just a seperate file that you can apply instead of using the client server to dl the patch.

Its such a shame that there are so many hoops to jump through to play this game. 3 client servers is 2 too many. The game actually runs very well and there are few hitches and bugs, its just the damn software that is used to update the game that is horribly broken.

Ah ok. I dunno what I was downloading as the OB Client fix. But it would just reinstall Champions or something. Who knows. Lets see if I can somehow download the client again from Fileplanet as I can never download anything from there but I managed to yesterday.

Top Bottom