• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo publishes cartoon of drowned Syrian toddler, "Muslims sink"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossun

Someone explain the McDonalds one?

It's just us, as people living in a consumerist society, where we can even have "almost free" (over our needs) food, we just do not care about the atrocity or human crisis happening not so far from us.

It's also how we are attracting these poor people with hopes and dreams only for them to be met with death and indifference.

it's really self explanatory and not anti-muslim the least bit.

Yes, because one requires less of a leap than another. It could be a blatantly racist joke reinforcing current sentiments or if we make some assumptions it could be what just appears to be a blatantly racist joke thats supposed to go "haha look how racist this is" by assuming everyone will see the absurdity of the racism.
I mean, Bioshock Infinite satirised racist thinking in the early USA and right wingers took that anti-foreign vibe hook line and sinker as endorsement. I'm sure there are many cases where things meant to paint a group in a negative light as hyperbolic and played straight can be co-opted by the groups being targeted because they don't clock on with critical thinking. Oh they're talking about us, must be good. We had that with gamergaters taking Onion articles at face value :p.

Jebusman

Banned
It isn't even the front page cartoon by the way. If you look at the photo closely, it appears a non-front page CH cartoon was cut and pasted on the actual cover for maximum shock.

Here is the actual cover:

XRpYxGJ.jpg

For anyone wondering, I pretty sure that reads "We are here for you" or something of that nature. or not. I can't read french. I'm a bad canadian.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Because the reason given for said discrimination in the cartoon is ludicrous and comes across as horrifically callous to the Muslim who is drowning.

So just like all of the real arguments that people are actually making? "Its so awful it has to be a joke" isn't an argument when there's actual non-joking awfulness of this exact type

Siegcram

But its not criticizing them! Nothing here says "wow this is awful" on any level unless you the reader go "wow that's so awful they can't really be saying that" and as you just acknowledged A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT
You need someone telling you that dead children are awful?

The first is comparisons of a biblical martyr and a child who in death has become a figure for the refugees strife. its mocking the people who see the death of the child as proof that the Muslim people aren't chosen by god like they are.

The second seems simpler in that the corporations first thought is to find a way to exploit the refugees for profit.

You could say its in bad taste to mock the death of a child but besides that it seems very in favor of the refugees by being critical of the people who fear them because they have a different religion.

Pedrito

But the satirical elements people are citing are all external to the cartoon itself. It requires assumption on the part of the reader that the writer is just pretending to be horribly racist in the exact same way a real horrible racist would be without any textual indications that its tongue in cheek. You can't say "well that's so awful they had to be kidding" if there's nothing else to indicate they're kidding

So just like about any political cartoon ever? If I look at a political cartoon from Argentina without knowing anything about argentinian politics, I won't get it either. These things aren't made for global appeal.

Alx

It's usually hard to explain Charlie Hebdo because even if they sometimes do satire, other times they're just trying to do bad jokes. They wouldn't be afraid to publish a cheap dead baby joke. They did publish some, actually.

One thing is for sure though : they're not trying to please racists or share their opinions. There's nothing deep about them, they only want to laugh at anything happening in the news (and yes you need context to understand the jokes most of the time), even if it's a dead kid. Yes it's bad taste, but like I said, that's their shtick. The very reason they exist is because their previous magazine got banned after they made a common joke about Charles de Gaulle dying and victims of a fire in a night club. The motto of that magazine was "dumb and mean".

patapuf

So just like all of the real arguments that people are actually making? "Its so awful it has to be a joke" isn't an argument when there's actual non-joking awfulness of this exact type

just out of curiosity. Have you actually read the issue you are complaining about? You know, for context?

ghostjoke

Banned
But its not criticizing them! Nothing here says "wow this is awful" on any level unless you the reader go "wow that's so awful they can't really be saying that" and as you just acknowledged A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT

>Letting children drown
>Awful

You have the concepts there in your head. You just need to connect them together in, dare I say, a satirical way...

Boem

From everything I've seen and heard this isn't extrapolation, this actually reflects what a not insignificant number of people think right now. That's why it doesn't seem particularly funny, because it doesn't seem to be exaggerating

Now you've got it. That's why it's good.

Again, as me and others have said, it's not meant to be funny.

Why do people keep insisting that it isn't funny? It's not supposed to be funny. It's supposed to make you feel offended and then wonder why you were. This is how political cartoons are supposed to be done, not the usual tripe you seen in most newspapers that lack any level of subtlety and still feel the need to put labels on everything because they think people are idiots. They're supposed to provoke, to make you think.

At best this can elicit a cynical laughter at how fittingly this describes European attitudes because the situation is deplorable. And that's just the type of response we need. People need to have the situation shoved in their faces, not be allowed to hide behind platitudes where they can't even see the people dying because of our inaction.

This. Right here. This is what Charlie Hebdo is about.

The joke is litterally our reflection that the cartoon forces us to face: 'now why aren't those muslims Christians or didn't learn how to walk on water if they'd really hoped to get in here'. Charlie is one of the biggest supporters of welcoming refugees in France instead of letting them die on not so distant shores. This cartoon is meant to provoke and shame us.

daviyoung

Banned

Most people are self-aware enough to see that yes, this is indeed awful. Even those that hold a modicum of those views.

The ones that look at the cartoon and think "yeh, you're goddamn right" and "that's right, Christians can walk on water" are a minority's minority. The cartoon isn't appealing to them.

I don't get how many of people in this thread are criticizing this cartoon and saying its not funny.

This joke is repeted ad nauseum in any thread on Christianity. About how they're not acting Christlike

Seems a lot like confirmation bias given some of the sentiments posted in regards to Charlie Hebdo.

So because it's a common sentiment they have to explain in the joke that "hey this is bad"?

That would literally destroy the point of the satire. That's like having a racist moment in Blazing Saddles (sorry if I keep using this movie) with Mel Brooks walking on set going, "now remember guys, I'm saying how stupid racism is, I'm not endorsing it, I'm saying it's bad and you need to be laughing at the people who are being racist, ok enjoy the film!".

That's not how satire works. Satire is hardly appropriate and can very commonly be in "bad taste" to many.

The Technomancer

>Letting children drown
>Awful

You have the concepts there in your head. You just need to connect them together in, dare I say, a satirical way...

Imagine if when Swift wrote Modest Proposal there was an actual, real life faction active that seriously proposed and endorsed eating babies. You wouldn't be able to look at it and go "that's satire" because the awfulness of eating babies wouldn't be something so universally derided as to be comical. And letting Muslims drown isn't something so universally derided as to be comical

patapuf

Imagine if when Swift wrote Modest Proposal there was an actual, real life faction active that seriously proposed and endorsed eating babies. You wouldn't be able to look at it and go "that's satire" because the awfulness of eating babies wouldn't be something so universally derided as to be comical. And letting Muslims drown isn't something so universally derided as to be comical

Why do you keep ignoring everyone telling you it's not supposed to be a joke?

Jebusman

Banned

Just tell me, just to clear it up.

Do you get satire, and do you get dark humor.

Do you understand the point of satire, and the point of dark humor.

Do you understand global politics and can grasp the context of something in a foreign land versus your own.

You've managed to explain in every way why this comic was satire, and yet still refuse to believe it can be.

So because it's a common sentiment they have to explain in the joke that "hey this is bad"?

That would literally destroy the point of the satire. That's like having a racist moment in Blazing Saddles (sorry if I keep using this movie) with Mel Brooks walking on set going, "now remember guys, I'm saying how stupid racism is, I'm not endorsing it, I'm saying it's bad and you need to be laughing at the people who are being racist, ok enjoy the film!".

That's not how satire works. Satire is hardly appropriate and can very commonly be in "bad taste" to many.
He's made it blatantly apparent that he doesn't know how satire works. This is why threads about comedy on GAF always turn to shit. There is always a subset of people who have no idea how comedy works unless it's the most simple, in your face punchline possible.

daviyoung

Banned

but everything I've read about the 17th Century indicates that people actually did eat babies so I can't see how Jonathan Swift was exaggerating!

The Technomancer

Do you understand satire? Me walking around with a shirt saying "the holocaust was okay" is not satire no matter how much I don't really mean it

Jebusman

Banned
Do you understand satire? Me walking around with a shirt saying "the holocaust was okay" is not satire no matter how much I don't really mean it

Except that's not comparable to the comic. At all.

What are you even arguing anymore?

This would only be comparable to the comic if the comic just said "Fuck muslims I hope they drown" with the picture of the baby in the water.

When you wondered why people would find this "shit" insightful, you weren't particularily bothered by the fact.

I'm not european either.

What fact? I didn't understand the context until I read the thread and the article and pieced it together, hence why I said "Im not sure".

Many Americans are not kept up with European politics. The satire is lost to people who don't understand the context.

Are you actually strawmaning this thing? Are you actually refusing to understand the strip?

What fact? I didn't understand the context until I read the thread and the article and pieced it together, hence why I said "Im not sure".

Many Americans are not kept up with European politics. The satire is lost to people who don't understand the context.

The fact that you aren't european. Sorry, just by your text I took it you felt offended by the image, I believe I may have been wrong.

Siegcram

So to summarize, satire should be funny, not require any additional context to understand, explain all the concepts presented therein and what should be felt about them and only use concepts which are agreed upon by literally everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom