• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well, my coworker, who lives in Buffalo Grove said I lived in a ghetto area.

I live near Diversey/Clark/Broadway.

They've never been to the city.

WTF.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
better than "oh, you live in boys town?"

Even if I did live in Boystown.

And I wouldn't, because damn, when I dated a girl that lived on Halsted and Roscoe, the noise.....

Nothing ghetto-y about that area as well.

PolishQ

My wife and I travel to Chicago every July for the Pitchfork festival. This will be our seventh year! Apart from the festival we try to see some other cool stuff each time. In past years we've been to:

The Art Institute
Aquarium
Natural History Museum
Blue Man Group
Biograph / Victory Gardens Theater
Navy Pier
Various zoos
Ahlgrim Acres (miniature golf in the basement of a funeral home!)

Our favorite shops:

Quimby's
Myopic Books
Reckless Records

Can anyone recommend any other must-see destinations? We typically like weirder, off the beaten path sort of stuff over the really obvious tourist locations. And recommendations on vegetarian/vegan cuisine are also appreciated!

ChiTownBuffalo

My wife and I travel to Chicago every July for the Pitchfork festival. This will be our seventh year! Apart from the festival we try to see some other cool stuff each time. In past years we've been to:

The Art Institute
Aquarium
Natural History Museum
Blue Man Group
Navy Pier
Various zoos

Our favorite shops:

Quimby's
Myopic Books
Reckless Records

Can anyone recommend any other must-see destinations? We typically like weirder, off the beaten path sort of stuff over the really obvious tourist locations. And recommendations on vegetarian/vegan cuisine are also appreciated!

Earwax Cafe and Chicago Diner for casual.

Green Zebra for nicer dining.

Nice, we're already big fans of Earwax and Chicago Diner, but we'll check out Green Zebra!

If you're into art stuff, keep an eye on these calendars:

http://www.thevisualist.org/

http://www.artslant.com/chi/events/list?listtype=openings

if it's an apartment gallery show and you want to go when there's people there, show up an hour or two late or show up on time if you want the place to yourself and quality time to talk with the people setting it up

Rotofugi is a cool and rather big japanese designer toy store/gallery, if you're into that kind of thing:
http://www.rotofugi.com/home/

PolishQ

If you're into art stuff, keep an eye on these calendars:

http://www.thevisualist.org/

http://www.artslant.com/chi/events/list?listtype=openings

if it's an apartment gallery show and you want to go when there's people there, show up an hour or two late or show up on time if you want the place to yourself and quality time to talk with the people setting it up

Rotofugi is a cool and rather big japanese designer toy store/gallery, if you're into that kind of thing:
http://www.rotofugi.com/home/

Excellent! Putting all these in a google doc for later reference.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's

The Art Institute
Aquarium
Natural History Museum
Blue Man Group
Navy Pier
Various zoos

Our favorite shops:

Quimby's
Myopic Books
Reckless Records

Pequods Pizza: Toppings - Extra Sauce, Garlic, Green Peppers, Onions

ChiTownBuffalo

C2E2.

I'll be there on Friday and Sunday.

dark_chris

You guys should check this place out. It is so good! =) They just opened up recently. Its in the Andersonville / Ravenswood area. Its on Foster and near Damen.

20120412_191922.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

At C2E2. So many nerds. its cool.

The kilt thing has to stop.

ChiTownBuffalo

Steampunk wheelchair is the coolest thing I've seen here. And I normally hate steampunk.

ChiTownBuffalo

And I feel like fraud because I'm wearing an artis tbadge.

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

the dudes that take losing the costume contest too seriously are really depressing. Like, they are really crushed. Like this Asian Shipwreck looks suicidal.

ChiTownBuffalo

Of course there's a K pop booth.

ChiTownBuffalo

I need to make brag thread right now.

ChiTownBuffalo

20080730-pequods-collage.jpg

OK CHicago-GAF, the votes are in and Pequods is the place to go for the next meet up.

May 19th, 7 pm?

I am open for whatever goes on afterwards.

Chime in.

Tron 2.0

Can someone please recommend a great CTA iOS app?

I'm specifically hoping for routes/schedules + tracking. Bus and train, preferably.

There are a lot on the App Store and I'm not sure which to get.

I'm specifically hoping for routes/schedules + tracking. Bus and train, preferably.

Bus Tracker is the best one for busses. never used one for the el

edit: VV oh yeah it's called buster, not bus tracker. sorry for the derp

i personally use buster (99 cents) and its totally worth it. also does trains but uses a web interface for that. if you need the metra, use ride the m (free), and even ride the l (also free) if you want some decent cta apps!

Ryaaan14

Banned

I always used iTrans Chicago CTA. They have updated since I moved but it was always very useful to me.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Well, my coworker, who lives in Buffalo Grove said I lived in a ghetto area.

I live near Diversey/Clark/Broadway.

They've never been to the city.

WTF.

Obviously. Anything that's not in Gold Coast is just total SHIT. How do you live with all those awful Einstein Bagels and Landmark Century Cinemas? UGH! GROSS!

ChiTownBuffalo

Hey Chicago GAF,

I will be working for Yelp! this weekend at ACEN. I believe in a place called the "Yelp! Lounge." I'll be there with the photo event thing I do.

So if you're there, drop by and say hello!

If you try and hit me with a Yaoi paddle, God help you, I may smite you down.

PolishQ

Just booked a 4-star hotel (Marriott Magnificent Mile) for $85/night on Priceline which is a pretty great deal, but I'm disappointed to see that you have to pay $36/night for parking in their garage. Anyone know a more affordable place to stow a car for a week?

It's a shame that ACEN and Dark Lord Day are the same weekend, won't be able to make it to ACEN. But count me in for the meetup at Pequod's!

I use Transit Stop and like it quite a bit. I've never had any issues with it, but I mostly just use it to track the 2 buses I take during my commute.

I just realized that I'm working May 20th and 21st when NATO is in town, and my route to work is from South Loop to Hyde Park, via LSD... running right by McCormick.

So the highway I'm sure will be pretty messy too, and local routes that I'd take (State, King Dr.) run right past McCormick too.

Hmmm... I'm pretty screwed, aren't I?

ChiTownBuffalo

I just realized that I'm working May 20th and 21st when NATO is in town, and my route to work is from South Loop to Hyde Park, via LSD... running right by McCormick.

So the highway I'm sure will be pretty messy too, and local routes that I'd take (State, King Dr.) run right past McCormick too.

Hmmm... I'm pretty screwed, aren't I?

Yup. You are fucked.

I'm going to just hole up in my place for that time and keep my hippie repellant on stand by.

Seth C

Sadly I will not be able to make the big event on the 19th as I will be in NYC. However, I will be in Chicago from the 6th to the 9th. We should make something happen. I want a meetup, good sirs, as I intend to have one in NYC and LA in the weeks that follow.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
My GF and I will be in Chicago this weekend.

What are some good places to grab a nice dinner and some jazz, both uniquely...Chicagoy?

Were staying at the Hyatt on East Wacker Drive...

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Well anyway. Im going to try B.L.U.E.S. and The Velvet Lounge...thanks a lot GAF! :p I keed

Top Bottom