• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Seth C

Hey guys. I know you have a meetup on the 19th but I'm going to be visiting from the 6th to the 10th and it would be cool to get together.

JCX

I have a couple of (short) stand up performances coming up if anyone is interested.

8 PM Thursday May 10th at Sopo Lounge
8 PM Monday May 14th at Zanies Comedy Club

Sai-kun

Banned
My friend's band (Sons of the West) is headlining a free show tonight at Lincoln Hall! They're blues-y rock-kinda stuff. They're really good, honestly! They won't be on till around 9:30 or so, but just a heads up if any of y'all are bored today :) haha

what's up with kids looking like they are in their early 20s with north face fleeces begging for money downtown? the fleeces do look a little dirty, but...wtf mang

and getting off and on 94, there are these hippy looking people who beg for change too.

i've seen gutterpunks, but this is a different breed.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
what's up with kids looking like they are in their early 20s with north face fleeces begging for money downtown? the fleeces do look a little dirty, but...wtf mang

and getting off and on 94, there are these hippy looking people who beg for change too.

i've seen gutterpunks, but this is a different breed.

Huh. Those are the spare changers I am used to being from Colorado. We called them trustafarians. There looked like dirty, begging hippies. We'd see them dumpster dive and stuff. Then get into a Saab with California plates. I mostly saw them up in Boulder at college.

fat pat

The transient, green khaki wearing, dog having, guitar playing, dreadlocked 20 something "homeless" people are back in wicker park now. I have no goddamn patience for these guys who are most likely homeless by choice. Stay away from the train station, assholes.

ChiTownBuffalo

It's my last day in town. Someone come join me for day drinking. I'm at Goose Island right now.

Man, wish I could.

Hey Chicago-GAF. I'm going to visit my brother in a few weeks in your fine city and I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for the wayward traveler. Food should be taken care of. Deep dish pizza, Chicago dogs and a steak dinner are on my list. I'm not exactly cultured so museums and art galleries need not apply. Oh and we plan on going to the Cubs game on Memorial Day and "bleachering". Thanks in advance.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Hey guys, I was hoping if someone could help me here. I need to be in downtown on May 19 to take the MCAT. I know the NATO crap is going to be going on. All this talk about closed streets is confusing the crap out of me, and it seems to change based on the source. I know it's going to be closed from Balbo to 39th, but I'm taking the test at 20 N Clark, which is a few streets before there. Does anyone know if there are going to be any protests blocking the streets around there? I need to park near there too. :(

Hey guys, I was hoping if someone could help me here. I need to be in downtown on May 19 to take the MCAT. I know the NATO crap is going to be going on. All this talk about closed streets is confusing the crap out of me, and it seems to change based on the source. I know it's going to be closed from Balbo to 39th, but I'm taking the test at 20 N Clark, which is a few streets before there. Does anyone know if there are going to be any protests blocking the streets around there? I need to park near there too. :(

Take the train.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Take the train.
The train would take me right into the heart of the protest, if there are any, which is my question. I know Emmanuel has moved the big one to Grant park, apprently, but I'm unsure if they're planned for the 19th or the 20th, because the summit is on the 20-21.

ChiTownBuffalo

The train would take me right into the heart of the protest, if there are any, which is my question. I know Emmanuel has moved the big one to Grant park, apprently, but I'm unsure if they're planned for the 19th or the 20th, because the summit is on the 20-21.

Occupy Chicago says they plan a week of protests.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
OK, so apparently, on Saturday they will be "occupying" healthcare clinics in the city that are going to be shut down, and there will be a major march on Sunday May 20 (to coincide with the summit) from grant park to McCormick.

joelseph

Anyone familiar with the west side give me suggestions for getting up on the abandoned elevated path/bridge thing at around 2000 N that runs parallel to like Churchhill/Bloomingdale/cortland? I see fuckers running up there but never know the best place to get up.

Anyone familiar with the west side give me suggestions for getting up on the abandoned elevated path/bridge thing at around 2000 N that runs parallel to like Churchhill/Bloomingdale/cortland? I see fuckers running up there but never know the best place to get up.

They're stairs you can take to get up on Damen by north ave. A cross the street from RSVP Gallery. Its a pretty sweet path.

ChiTownBuffalo

Hey, headcount for this Saturday.

Or should we reschedule because of NATO?

ChiTownBuffalo

Meh, I might be out for Saturday.

Anyone want to reschedule for a Saturday during the afternoon so we can enjoy the fine Chicago weather?

Free of anarchists, protesters and heightened security?

ChiTownBuffalo

yeah im out too, they dont want any military members (in uniform or not) anywhere near downtown Chicago.

Wanna put on masks and beat up anarchists? All they are going to be doing is ruining local businesses and derailing the people's right to protest peacefully.

I'm working, so I won't be able to make it anyways.

I still haven't figured out my route from South Loop to Hyde Park yet. And I'm working Sat and Sunday.

Tron 2.0

I will be moving to Chicago in the next few months, but I'm not incredibly familiar with the city. I'm looking to sub-lease for the summer so I can get my bearings before signing a longer lease.

Does anyone have suggestions for a neighborhood/area of the city I should be looking in? I'm looking for reasonable safety and reasonable rent.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ugh....so not looking forward to this weekend.

At least my CTO gave anyone who takes the train or drives to work Fri and Mon 'off' to work from home.

Tron 2.0

I realized I was unhelpfully vague previously, but I'm hoping someone can still help me out.

Specifically, I'm looking for roommates. Hoping to spend ~$500 a month on rent. The important thing to me is access to public transportation because I will not have a car. The closer to Near North Side, the better.

Any suggestions?

ChiTownBuffalo

I realized I was unhelpfully vague previously, but I'm hoping someone can still help me out.

Specifically, I'm looking for roommates. Hoping to spend ~$500 a month on rent. The important thing to me is access to public transportation because I will not have a car. The closer to Near North Side, the better.

Any suggestions?

For summer sublets? Lincoln Park near DePaul.

Honestly that's all I can think of for summer sublets.

Anyone been to the hole in the wall 'Oasis' in the jewelry store?

Stupid Avengers had me going there so many times this week and last haha.

ChiTownBuffalo

Anyone been to the hole in the wall 'Oasis' in the jewelry store?

Stupid Avengers had me going there so many times this week and last haha.

YES!

I love that place.

I feel like I'm in City 17 right now. The roads are empty, there's helicopters just circling around all day and I can't walk 15 feet in the South Loop without running into a group of cops or guards.

Saw this earlier today. Anyone familiar with the protests that happened in Iowa City over the last month will get it:

quKX8.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

My conversations with NATO protestors.

"NATO is the muscle for the 1%. And they are denying health care to the poor all over the world."

"What. Do you even know what NATO is?

"They make sure the world is at war! We are the voice of the voiceless 3rd world."

"Wow, that's alot of white privilege right there. So NATO's never done anything good?"

"No. They were born from war and they live for war."

"You really don't know what NATO is at all, do you?"

Top Bottom