• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Seth C

Chicago! Im coming to visit you again to catch a reds/cubs game. Going with a group of friends and were staying near the loop. Any suggestions for bars that have a shit load of different beers on tap?

I can recommend good beer bars, just not any in the Loop. That's not exactly the hub of Chicago nightlife.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Sheffields or Map Room

Seth C

I dont think theyll mind going a bit as long as its fairly close to the train line.

Everything good is close to the train line! :)

The Map Room is one of your best choices for draft selection, especially if you're looking for more random/rare stuff. If you're there on the weekend it will be busy, very busy, and hard to get a beer. Instead you could try Local Option, which is a weird metalhead craft beer joint that will almost certainly have something you have never tried before. This is their current beer list. If any of your friends just drink boring beer that will NOT be the right place because if anyone says "do you have anything like Bud/Coors/Miller" they will just be laughed at. If you end up near Damon and Division, go to Flatiron. The beer selection isn't great but they will have 10-12 beers and none of them are bad (Bell's, Three Floyd's, etc.). Since you'll be near Wrigley anyway, and most of that area is incredibly obnoxious, go to Gingerman Tavern before the game. The beer isn't bad (8 or 10 taps), but you can play pool where they filmed The Color of Money, and if a bunch of douchebags accidentally stumble in from the Cubby Bear or some other awful bar in that neighborhood, they'll blast classical music to fix things right up.

Goose Island's Brewpub, while not the most varied selection of beers in the world, will have some of their stuff that you can't get elsewhere (some that they never even bottle) and also a few selected guest taps. If you want to check out a more local brewery, head to Revolution. The food is also really good. Depending on when you're around, check their website for a brewery tour. It's not long but you'll be rewarded with several tastings (and it is free). They make very good beer, and the taps change constantly. Consider becoming a "Member of the Party" before you start drinking there. It's only $25, and you'll score 20% off all merchandise (they have some nice t-shirt designs), get all beers under 7% in a 20oz mug for the same price as 16, and they will give you a growler and fill it for free. Basically, one t-shirt, 4 beers, and the growler and it has paid for itself. If you think you would be back to Chicago in the following year it is definitely worth it.

Finally, I assume you're driving, so stop in Munster, Indiana on the way home and go to Three Floyd's! Drink great beer, eat fantastic pub food, and buy a case or two of Zombie Dust to bring home. You can probably sell it for a profit.

Edit - I forgot, if you want pizza skip whatever people have told you and go to Pequod's. Their beer selection is meh (but serviceable) but that pizza. I want it in my mouth right now.

Talon

By the way, Chitown, have you been to that weird Whiskey/Soju lounge right upstairs of Blackbird in West Loop?

Wound up going there on my birthday with some close friends, so we just sat around playing drinking games with soju. All my friends (girlfriend included) are white, so the host and bartender got a kick out of us.

Nice, quiet place where you could sit down and have a conversation. It actually mostly felt like someone took an apartment and just made it into a simple bar. The only whiskey they have is Blue Label because "Our owner only drinks Blue Label." There's a pretty impressive wall of Blue Label boxes on the side.

Also - like my man Seth C said - drink Zombie Dust.

By the way, Chitown, have you been to that weird Whiskey/Soju lounge right upstairs of Blackbird in West Loop?

Wound up going there on my birthday with some close friends, so we just sat around playing drinking games with soju. All my friends (girlfriend included) are white, so the host and bartender got a kick out of us.

Shit I was at Embeya earlier tonight with a group. This would've been awesome.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
No I have not. And now I will.

ChiTownBuffalo

LA Boxing Wrigleyville is now transitioning to UFC Gym Wrigleyville.

Now, the thought of the den of douchebaggery this will become is tempered by the fact that's its actually more Boystown-ish.

reKon

Banned
I've been having a hard time finding a place to get furniture since I've moved here. I'm working a lot so it's hard to find time and have been trying through Craigslist, but most people don't respond. I'm going for a cheaper compact sofa because I will be probably moving around a lot. Anyone have suggestions?

ChiTownBuffalo

http://www.affordableportables.net/

I would go actually visit, as the showroom has super cheap stuff on sale.

Or you can check out those furniture stores on Milwaukee in Wicker Park.

Chi-Town GAF
I'm gonna be visiting for my first time and could use some recommendations, I'll be there from Sunday to Thursday for a conference and will be hitting up the Art Institute for sure and based on recommendations from previous thread's: Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza and Au Cheval for burgers

Will be staying downtown and could use more recommendations for places to eat, culture to take in, and a place to get a local brew (as well as which brew to get)!

Also, if any Chicago-gaffers are up for meeting up for a bite, drink, or maybe hitting up some Chicago culture lemme know and I'll PM you my contact info. First round is on me.

this guy

I've got a big feeling the guy is a lurker.
Good to see I'm not the only gaffer in my university ;_;
I also go to Loyola. Come find me for a bro handshake.

GAI3efd.gif

ChiTownBuffalo

Congress Theatre is shutting down. Or the city is forcing it too.

As much as it annoys me, that place is a shithole and the landlord isn't doing shit to make any improvements.

So Sprint apparently bought US Cellular and can go fuck themselves.

Can I get opinions on these services for the Chicagoland area?

-AT&T (can get a 25% discount through my union here)
-Verizon (21% discount)
-T-mobile
-Any others

Thanks!

ChiTownBuffalo

I have Verizon and can't think of anywhere that I can't get service. Below the Green Mill and the subway.

Madtown_

So Sprint apparently bought US Cellular and can go fuck themselves.

Can I get opinions on these services for the Chicagoland area?

-AT&T (can get a 25% discount through my union here)
-Verizon (21% discount)
-T-mobile
-Any others

Thanks!
I'm looking forward to getting off of US Cellular, simply for the fact that they don't offer 4G in the area. Didn't sprint basically just buy US cellular's Chicago customers?

I'm looking forward to getting off of US Cellular, simply for the fact that they don't offer 4G in the area. Didn't sprint basically just buy US cellular's Chicago customers?

They did. I never noticed a huge difference when using my buddy's 4G phone so meh.

And will look into Verizon maybe then.

Talon

Man, Old Town Social might be a brochacho Mecca with expensive beer prices, but the food is so awesome. The chef there brines, ages, dries, etc. all the charcuterie and a lot of the meat on their menu.

Got their burger again for the first time in a while. Just as kick ass as I remember. I don't know where they get their beef, but that's steakhouse burger quality meat. So damn juicy but incredibly dense.

ChiTownBuffalo

I am at C2E2, across from the Bronycon booth. All day.

Bronies. *shudder*

So many guys in straight up PJ's.

A guy wearing an Underarmour shirt with airbrush abs on it.

reKon

Banned
So I guess the Galaxy S4 is going to be at the at&t store today on Michigan ave. I've been waiting to play with one so I can finalize my choice between that and the One , but then again I always dread being on Michigan Ave. Really wish this event was somewhere else lol.

ChiTownBuffalo

Ran into Joelseph!

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

Holy shit at some of the dental needs here.

Going to the ACEN convention in 3 weeks and doing some tourism as well. What are some must go places/restaurants around the Chicago area?

Thank you.

edit: Sorry meant to say the Rosemont area.

Does anyone know a good petting store in Chicago, preferably in the western suburbs area? My wife is scared of cats so I want to take her to the petting store with cats. Not looking for animal shelters though.

Talon

Does anyone know a good petting store in Chicago, preferably in the western suburbs area? My wife is scared of cats so I want to take her to the petting store with cats. Not looking for animal shelters though.
My friend got her cat from Treehouse Humane Society. She spent a few weeks getting familiar with the cats over weekends before picking one, so that may be up your alley.

My friend got her cat from Treehouse Humane Society. She spent a few weeks getting familiar with the cats over weekends before picking one, so that may be up your alley.
Iseewhatyoudidthere.gif

That should help things get started. Thanks. Anything in the suburbs area?

Bollocks

So, how hard is it to buy Chicago bears tickets?
I'm in town starting September 9th - ~12th, there's a bears game on the 8th and 15th.
Both dates need major rescheduling of my trip but I don't want to miss out on the atmosphere.
Either rescheduling my flight to the 8th(if possible) or fly from New Orleans(as that's my second destination after Chi) to Chicago on the 15th for the game(Saints are away when I'm in NOLA so they are not an option)

You see it's quite a hassle but I'm willing to do it if getting a ticket is not down to pure luck.

Also I plan to attend the White Sox game on 9/9 but I guess it's easier to get tickets for that game?

Top Bottom