• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm going to be in town during memorial day weekend hanging with Kitchenmotors and some other gaffers.

E8KnUUI.gif

Bollocks

So I take there's no way to buy Bears tickets at the box office?
I have to press my luck and buy them on game day from a scalper?

Weather was nice around noon today, wanted to go walk around Sears Tower during my lunch break but instead I took a really long way to get back to work to enjoy it.

Bollocks

Individual tickets are not on sale until a month or so before the season.

Thanks, how are the odds there? I think they'll move them rather quick?
As said a few posts above, possible games are against Cincinnati and Minnesota in September.
But for both games I have to reschedule my flight/trip (at an extra charge, stupid airline).
The least thing I want is to reschedule and then end up with no tickets.
So what should I do?

Madtown_

I work at an elementary school and it's the end of the school year. A rainy day, especially on a friday, is torture.

And compared to last year, the weather sucks. It's not consistent enough.
I don't think Chicago is the place to live if you want consistent weather. It's the upper Midwest, every year, every week, is different.

I don't think Chicago is the place to live if you want consistent weather. It's the upper Midwest, every year, every week, is different.

Well I've lived here since 91 so I'm well aware of the way the weather works. I just want it to be more like last year, especially since I'm outside all the time during the summer for work.

Talon

Well I've lived here since 91 so I'm well aware of the way the weather works. I just want it to be more like last year, especially since I'm outside all the time during the summer for work.
Didn't we have a really randomly mild summer last year? I seem to remember it being pretty cool.

I'm sure we're slated for a humid, evil summer.

Mumei

Hey, Chicago-GAF. I'm visiting again (and leaving tomorrow). I went to the Art Institute and the Field Museum on this trip, and I'm planning on going back to the Shedd Aquarium tomorrow since I didn't see all of it last year. Any highly recommended stops for next time?

Talon

Hey, Chicago-GAF. I'm visiting again (and leaving tomorrow). I went to the Art Institute and the Field Museum on this trip, and I'm planning on going back to the Shedd Aquarium tomorrow since I didn't see all of it last year. Any highly recommended stops for next time?
Lincoln Park Zoo is free and actually pretty well maintained.

Also, nearby, there's this really small museum on the edge of Old Town called the National Surgical Museum, and I find it to be a hidden gem. Really cool stuff there. There's also the small Contemporary Art Museum in the Gold Coast, which is only a few years old.

What else are you interested in?

Newline

It's been just under a year since I spent 6 weeks in Chicago for an internship provided by my university in England. Starting to really miss it now, it feels like it's been too long. Need to plan another trip soon! Craving a good italian beef sandwich coupled with a nice long walk around Millenium Park.

The Chef

My wife and I just drove through Chicago the other day. I've never been there so we looked up some must sees and do's. We were driving to NY so we could only stay a little while.

We started by eating at a place called Hot Doug's. Got rave reviews on Tripadvisor and we just felt like, When in Rome. So we got hot dogs...and holy hell.

izYuTLaWrtPWw.jpg

Got one of their specials plus some regular dogs with everything. AMAZING. So glad we did that.

Next, we ran over to the Sacred Bean and to check the lake out. I have family that lives in NY and I love NY....but I dunno. After just being here for about 3 hours I have to say that Chicago is one cool place. Definitely want to visit again and spend more time.

Bollocks

hnng, that looks so good, is that a brat?
As I'm from Vienna where dogs can be found on every corner and are essentially a part of the city culture(Würstelstand) I can't wait to try and see what the Chicago dog is up to this summer.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm from the Chicago suburbs (Oak Park, live in Madison WI now) and have been going to Chicago almost all of my life, although I can't say I'm nearly as familiar with it as most Chicagoans are. In a ways it feels kind of weird sometimes how little I know about the city. It really is a beautiful city, though, a lot more pleasant to wander around than NYC. Probably the biggest thing keeping me from moving there is the weather. The fucking weather. I want to move away from the schizophrenic weather and extremes of the midwest, not into the heart of it.

jdouglas

Nope (maybe some pizza place or something). But I do have an interesting anecdote: My sister is a student at the art institute, so, instead of waiting for an hour in the line for the art institute, we snuck in via the back door that connects it to the student workstations. We got to look at the museum pieces and the student-made stuff. I think the student galleries are more interesting though; feels more real. Very cool stuff.

My wife and I just drove through Chicago the other day. I've never been there so we looked up some must sees and do's. We were driving to NY so we could only stay a little while.

We started by eating at a place called Hot Doug's. Got rave reviews on Tripadvisor and we just felt like, When in Rome. So we got hot dogs...and holy hell.

izYuTLaWrtPWw.jpg

Got one of their specials plus some regular dogs with everything. AMAZING. So glad we did that.

Next, we ran over to the Sacred Bean and to check the lake out. I have family that lives in NY and I love NY....but I dunno. After just being here for about 3 hours I have to say that Chicago is one cool place. Definitely want to visit again and spend more time.

Hot Doug's is dynamite - sometimes the line to get in that tiny place is really long, so count yourself lucky if you didn't have to do that.

Viewt

So I'm gonna try and hit up Parson's Chicken & Fish today. It's that new fried chicken spot in Logan Square from the Longman & Eagle folks. Some friends and I were going to eat there Friday, but they had folks at the door telling people that they had a three-hour minimum wait time, so we ended up just walking to Dante's for some pizza.

They open at 4 PM and it's a Sunday, so fuck it, the crowd shouldn't be too bad. It helps that it's only a 5-minute walk from me since it's at Armitage & Humboldt.

Hey, Chicago-GAF! I've got some friends visiting the city from out of town this week, and they're asking me for advice for places they should visit. They're musicians, so I'm taking them to see some music improv on Friday night and I recommended they check out Kingston Mines for some blues, as well as bog-standard tourist destinations like the Art Institute, Millenium Park and Navy Pier.

Any other places I should point them toward? I feel like I should know more good spots, having lived in the city for three years, but I think I spend so much of my time in Lincoln Park and at Second City that I don't explore as much as I should.

Thanks!

Talon

Hey, Chicago-GAF! I've got some friends visiting the city from out of town this week, and they're asking me for advice for places they should visit. They're musicians, so I'm taking them to see some music improv on Friday night and I recommended they check out Kingston Mines for some blues, as well as bog-standard tourist destinations like the Art Institute, Millenium Park and Navy Pier.

Any other places I should point them toward? I feel like I should know more good spots, having lived in the city for three years, but I think I spend so much of my time in Lincoln Park and at Second City that I don't explore as much as I should.

Thanks!
The Green Mill is a storied jazz bar up in Uptown right off the Lawrence stop. Musicians would definitely dig that place.

If the weather's nice, take them to the Lincoln Park Zoo instead of Navy Pier, please. Animals > the greatest tourist trap in the Midwest.

The Green Mill is a storied jazz bar up in Uptown right off the Lawrence stop. Musicians would definitely dig that place.

If the weather's nice, take them to the Lincoln Park Zoo instead of Navy Pier, please. Animals > the greatest tourist trap in the Midwest.

Oh, Green Mill. I forgot about that place. I used to take classes at the Annoyance, which is right next door to it!

As for the zoo, I've definitely suggested that - I live right around the corner from it, so it'd be silly for me to not at least SHOW it to them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bottom