• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Madtown_

Who's excited for the Cubs this year? Despite Garza starting out on the DL, I can't wait to see how the season goes. Hopefully Soler and Vogelbach tear it up in the minors this year and get a September call up.
I'm looking forward to the season getting started. I'm a brewers fan, but I live in wrigleyville and it sounds like gamedays should be a good time. Looking forward to a season or two of cheap tickets before Theo has them turned around.

Talon

I'm moving out to the burbs to stay closer to work. :(

Bums me out.

I'm thinking of taking the Metra into the city on St Paddy's Day, but now I'm thinking that's gonna be a shit-show and I should just stay downtown the night before with a friend so I don't have to commute.

Rent rates here in Logan are just sky high right now. It's crazy. 2 years ago it was nothing to find a nice 3BR here, but looking now? At least $2k/month from everything I'm seeing. Just crazy.
Hooray gentrification.

Smeghead

Hotel Lincoln is a newly opened hotel from the Joie de Vivre folks out of California. It's right next to Lincoln Park, so it'll be easy to get around. Rooms are smallish, but the prices are very competitive. Outside of that, you're going to have to stay down in the loop.

There's a Holiday Inn off Diversey but other than those two, I can't pinpoint any north side hotels.

Is northside more desirable to stay in rather than downtown loop area? Is most of the nightlife northside? Cheers

Talon

Also, finally tried the ramen at Santouka in Arlington Heights.

It was great. Really, really good and exactly what I wanted on a cold day. The only thing (and my general complaint about ramen) - you have to eat those noodles fast or they get soggy pretty quickly. Udon and rice noodles in pho get soggy as well, but it seems like ramen only takes about 5 or so minutes before its lost that perfect springiness.
Is northside more desirable to stay in rather than downtown loop area? Is most of the nightlife northside? Cheers
The loop itself is not a huge hotbed for activity. It's largely a business district, so it will literally look abandoned past 9 PM (it's creepy to walk on Wacker after a late night of work).

Now, River North and Gold Coast right past the river will have plenty of night life activities (although you'll notice the random creepy old guys). But shit's expensive. Old Town is a little less expensive and that's a fun area to go out as well - but it's certainly a yuppie area. Lincoln Park will be a mix of brochachos and college kids. Similar with Lakeview.

If you go west to Wicker Park, it's a little less bro-ey.

West Loop is also an option, which is (yep) to the direct West of the Loop. There's Haymarket and a few Irish pubs around there, but it's nowhere near as busy as Old Town on Wells, Lincoln Park on Lincoln, Lakeview on Clark or Wicker Park on Milwaukee.

So, I would ask:
How old are y'all?
What kind of crowd are you looking for?

Smeghead

Also, finally tried the ramen at Santouka in Arlington Heights.

It was great. Really, really good and exactly what I wanted on a cold day. The only thing (and my general complaint about ramen) - you have to eat those noodles fast or they get soggy pretty quickly. Udon and rice noodles in pho get soggy as well, but it seems like ramen only takes about 5 or so minutes before its lost that perfect springiness.

The loop itself is not a huge hotbed for activity. It's largely a business district, so it will literally look abandoned past 9 PM (it's creepy to walk on Wacker after a late night of work).

Now, River North and Gold Coast right past the river will have plenty of night life activities (although you'll notice the random creepy old guys). But shit's expensive. Old Town is a little less expensive and that's a fun area to go out as well - but it's certainly a yuppie area. Lincoln Park will be a mix of brochachos and college kids. Similar with Lakeview.

If you go west to Wicker Park, it's a little less bro-ey.

West Loop is also an option, which is (yep) to the direct West of the Loop. There's Haymarket and a few Irish pubs around there, but it's nowhere near as busy as Old Town on Wells, Lincoln Park on Lincoln, Lakeview on Clark or Wicker Park on Milwaukee.

So, I would ask:
How old are y'all?
What kind of crowd are you looking for?
I'll be 21 by the time september rolls around, as will the people i'm going with so the more younger crowd would probably be better. Anything really, clubs, bars, restaurants, the usual tourist shit as well.
These are pretty much all of my options in my price range. Am i generally good with any one of these? Number 7 is what i'm thinking of booking. Appreciate the help.

9S8SUie.jpg

Asimov

Banned
I have been in Chicago a couple of times for work reasons.

I really enjoyed the city. The only name of a bar I went is called Pippin's Tavern. And then we went to other bars but I can't remember the name.

We also went to a club and they charged us $20 just to enter. It was awful. At least it was money from the company!

I have been in Chicago a couple of times for work reasons.

I really enjoyed the city. The only name of a bar I went is called Pippin's Tavern. And then we went to other bars but I can't remember the name.

We also went to a club and they charged us $20 just to enter. It was awful. At least it was money from the company!

Best avatar and username combination I've seen in a while. Props.

Apath

Went to Chinatown yesterday for the parade...and dim sum. Ming Hin is good stuff, man. All we ordered were dumplings, and we were stuffed.

Shrimp Dumplings: wildly underrated.
Where do you recommend for dim sum? (Assuming dim sum = sheets of paper with various dishes you check off and they bring you.) Whenever I go, I can't find it anywhere or it stops at an early hour. Early as in around noon.
I can't wait for the red line to be a complete failure of a transit line.
What's wrong with the red line? I take it just about every day and it's never really had problems for me.

Apath

DePaul cancelled class today from 1PM onwards. My class got out at 12:50. -_- Which reminds me that I should probably re-shovel the side walk, walkway, and staircase.

I wish the adult world cancelled work. Although at the West Loop and Union Station the roads/sidewalks weren't terrible, however up north...damn are the roads insane.

How about this weather?

Yo, they waited until 11:30AM to cancel my college classes today. Then I found out they were only cancelled from 3PM onward. Then the guy responsible for initiating the weather alert accidentally activated the "violent intruder" alert and scared the fuck out of everybody on campus.

Took 'em 30 minutes to finally own up, call teachers, and tell them to let us go.

Yeah, this weather.

That's a great story that you are going to remember for a long time. That's great. I remember being on campus during a snow storm and piling 16 people in a minivan when the roads were closed so we could get to a restaurant.

Hey Chicago-GAF,

A friend and I are coming to visit over spring break for couple of days. Was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a place to stay for around $100 per night. Or maybe and area to find a hotel in :)

Talon

Where do you recommend for dim sum? (Assuming dim sum = sheets of paper with various dishes you check off and they bring you.) Whenever I go, I can't find it anywhere or it stops at an early hour. Early as in around noon.
I recommend this place. Last time we were down there, we got shrimp dumplings, sticky rice in leaves, pork dumpling, and two other dumplings. I think the bill was right at $20, and we were stuffed.
I'll be 21 by the time september rolls around, as will the people i'm going with so the more younger crowd would probably be better. Anything really, clubs, bars, restaurants, the usual tourist shit as well.
These are pretty much all of my options in my price range. Am i generally good with any one of these? Number 7 is what i'm thinking of booking. Appreciate the help.

9S8SUie.jpg
Oh, dude, I totally wrote up a reply to this a week ago, and I must not have hit submit. My apologies.

So 7 is right in the heart of the Gold Coast, sort of bourgeois shopping area. The bars around there are more aimed at tourists, creepy old men, college kids that don't know any better about where to go et al.

Going a little bit north to where 16/10/1 area will be better (Old Town) - that's actually the comedy district, so you could hit a show and then go out to the bars on Wells. Going further north to 21 and 3 (Lincoln Park) would be better for a 21-25-year-old crowd - that would be around where the Depaul and college bros will go out.

I would recommend you guys hop in a cab and venture west to Bucktown/Wicker Park at least one night. It's a different vibe than Lincoln Park, which can get a bit annoying in the brochacho department.

Viewt

Hey Chicago-GAF, I'll soon be joining your ranks!

Actually, I was hoping to get some neighborhood advice from those of you in the know. My situation is that I'll likely be working for this company located out in Lombard, but I'd still like to live in Chicago proper. Basically what I'm looking for is an apartment in an area that:

1. Is reasonably close to a Union Pacific West Metra Line (one that goes to Wheaton, basically).
2. Is still in Chicago proper so that I can get to Logan Square / Humboldt Park to hang out with my friends within a reasonable amount of time.
3. Isn't an area where I'm liable to get shot.

See, at first, geographically speaking, Austin/South Austin seemed like a good spot. But apparently that's a big red flag for Point 3. Oak Park/Forest Park seems like a maybe, but I've heard some kind of sketchy stuff about that area, too, and according to some friends I have up there, I definitely don't want to be anywhere near the Green Line.

I'd really like to not have to get a car since, other than my daily working commute, Chicago makes not having a car really easy. Any tips for safe areas in the city that won't be a two-hour commute each way from Lombard?

Talon

Actually, I was hoping to get some neighborhood advice from those of you in the know. My situation is that I'll likely be working for this company located out in Lombard, but I'd still like to live in Chicago proper. Basically what I'm looking for is an apartment in an area that:

1. Is reasonably close to a Union Pacific West Metra Line (one that goes to Wheaton, basically).
2. Is still in Chicago proper so that I can get to Logan Square / Humboldt Park to hang out with my friends within a reasonable amount of time.

See, at first, geographically speaking, Austin/South Austin seemed like a good spot. But apparently that's a big red flag for Point 3. Oak Park/Forest Park seems like a maybe, but I've heard some kind of sketchy stuff about that area, too, and according to some friends I have up there, I definitely don't want to be anywhere near the Green Line.

I'd really like to not have to get a car since, other than my daily working commute, Chicago makes not having a car really easy. Any tips for safe areas in the city that won't be a two-hour commute each way from Lombard?
You can take a train out from Ogilvie downtown. I'd look for a place in West Loop. Reasonable distance to Logan Square if you can hop on a Blue Line.

Apath

I recommend this place. Last time we were down there, we got shrimp dumplings, sticky rice in leaves, pork dumpling, and two other dumplings. I think the bill was right at $20, and we were stuffed.
That looks awesome, thank you. Do you know if they are strict on Dim Sum hours? I see they have a special from 2:30-4 and their hours in general are 8am-2am, but a lot of places I've been to in Chinatown only served Dim Sum at very specific hours.

EDIT: Looking at the building via Google Maps, it looks like Dim Sum is from 9am-4pm, and then again from 9pm-2am.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

You will get shot in Austin.

When I first moved to Chicago, I worked in the West burbs and lived in Oak Park. It was city-ish, but not the city (a minus, IMHO). There are plenty of good places to live.

I'm not sure where in the city near the Train would work, unless you want to take a train to the train.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So, yesterday for a late lunch, I met up with a friend, and a friend of hers. This friend of hers had her bf, and his friends with him. I know, that's alot of secondary and tertiary relationships.

So, the bf and his friends are from South Carolina, and this is their first time to Chicago. But, didn't stop them from using the n-word excessively, calling children "niglets," spouting homophobic remarks and chanting "The South will rise again!"

I blew up at them, calling them out for their ignorance. And basically invited them to fight where I promised to choke them into unconsciousness or break their arms. Having had no one take me up on the invitation, I left, because fuck those guys.

I stayed in last night watching the fights.

This morning, I get a call from my friend. Apparently, the Southerners had the living daylights beat out of them last night for calling a bunch of black guys "Boy."

Good.

So, yesterday for a late lunch, I met up with a friend, and a friend of hers. This friend of hers had her bf, and his friends with him. I know, that's alot of secondary and tertiary relationships.

So, the bf and his friends are from South Carolina, and this is their first time to Chicago. But, didn't stop them from using the n-word excessively, calling children "niglets," spouting homophobic remarks and chanting "The South will rise again!"

I blew up at them, calling them out for their ignorance. And basically invited them to fight where I promised to choke them into unconsciousness or break their arms. Having had no one take me up on the invitation, I left, because fuck those guys.

This morning, I get a call from my friend. Apparently, the Southerners had the living daylights beat out of them last night for calling a bunch of black guys "Boy."

Good.

I don't normally root for violence, but when you don't get the message the first time, you will get a second opportunity bigger than the first.

ChiTownBuffalo

having read this a lot of your other stories, I think you may have some anger issues man

Yeah. I have a short temper.

Well, let me rephrase. I go from 0 - 60 depending on the issue.

Yeah. I have a short temper.

Well, let me rephrase. I go from 0 - 60 depending on the issue.
its good you're aware of it.

Idk, I guess I'm used to that kind of talk based on where I grew up. Central Nebraska is about as conservative a place as you'll find. I also happen to be super liberal politically and progressive socially, I don't fit in and don't usually speak up. If my extended family knew I was pro-gay marriage they probably wouldn't talk to me ever again. Most of them are super racist too. So is life.

Good.

What area were you guys in? Did they end up somewhere else when shit went down?

ChiTownBuffalo

I heard they went out to Beverly last night, but the beating happened at a Checkers near Calumet Heights. What they were doing out there I have no idea. But that was definitely the wrong neighborhood to be calling anyone "boy."

I find it difficult to muster up any sympathy for them.

The girl who was there said that other people started it (which I personally doubt.). But she also mentioned that they used the word "boy" in addition to other racial epithets. They had to run a couple blocks and then get a cab.

Apath

Chicago-bros, this thread needs a bump. I'm out in Michigan now, but I'm back pretty often.

And I want to share a treat with all of you. My favorite burger joint in the city. I like it better than DMK (I prefer big patties) and Kuma's (Granted, I'm more a traditionalist, and I care more about the beef than accouterments). It's owned by the ex-head chef at Duchamp out in Bucktown (closed now). This place opened about a year ago, if I remember. Right off the Armitage brown line stop.

l.jpg
- not my picture

Grass-fed beef medium rare in simple (just salt and pepper), pretzel bun, cheddar cheese, onion, pickle, tomato, and lettuce. Perfect. The meat's super juicy, so I find the pretzel bun is best for keeping everything contained.

Or whatever the hell you want. In terms of meat, they do game sometimes and always have pork, turkey, rice, salmon and bison. Better yet, it's BYOB last I checked. It's not really sit down, but it's not The Counter either. You make you order and they bring your food out, but it's not full service either.

Their fries are among the best in the city, too. Perfectly crisp on the outside and pillowy on the inside.
I must be retarded, but I cannot find the name of the place you're pimping anywhere in this post.

ChiTownBuffalo

I must be retarded, but I cannot find the name of the place you're pimping anywhere in this post.

Butcher and The Burger

I heard they went out to Beverly last night, but the beating happened at a Checkers near Calumet Heights. What they were doing out there I have no idea. But that was definitely the wrong neighborhood to be calling anyone "boy."

I find it difficult to muster up any sympathy for them.

The girl who was there said that other people started it (which I personally doubt.). But she also mentioned that they used the word "boy" in addition to other racial epithets. They had to run a couple blocks and then get a cab.

Sounds like they were actively looking to start shit.

Viewt

Well, Chicago-GAF, tomorrow I'm officially moving to the Windy City! And, as luck would turn out, I accepted a job this very afternoon (that was pretty lucky!). It's for this great company in Uptown, which should be really easy to commute to. And that's a tremendous relief. My daily commute should be less than 40 minutes each way and Uptown is reportedly super safe.

So basically I arrive tomorrow at 5 PM and start the next morning at 9 AM. Why waste time, after all?

That's cool.

I wouldn't call Uptown "super safe" as it's got more crime than the surrounding neighborhoods, but it's still not at all bad.

Where are you communting from? I wish I worked in Uptown-- I could walk!

Meier

Nice, I just looked it up and I'll be working within walking distance of that place. I'll definitely check it out.

I lived in Andersonville my first year there.. the borders of it and Uptown are fairly blurry I suppose but we were at Winnemac and Clark across from the bar that ultimately turned out to be a lesbian one (can't recall the name, but great burgers.. not Hamburger Mary's). Edit: Googled it.. T's Bar and Restaurant.

I'm not a huge beer fan so Hopleaf didn't really do much for me personally (I don't believe they had any cider) but it's definitely a fan favorite. We loved the area but taking the red line home on nights when the Cubs played was just an absolute nightmare so we moved to the South Loop for our 2nd and 3rd years in the city.

Chicago is great but the winters are very, very long. We moved from FL as well and that component was ultimately what made us leave. My fiancee simply could never get adjusted to it. It frequently snows in April and can still be quite cold in May.

dark_chris

Well, Chicago-GAF, tomorrow I'm officially moving to the Windy City! And, as luck would turn out, I accepted a job this very afternoon (that was pretty lucky!). It's for this great company in Uptown, which should be really easy to commute to. And that's a tremendous relief. My daily commute should be less than 40 minutes each way and Uptown is reportedly super safe.

So basically I arrive tomorrow at 5 PM and start the next morning at 9 AM. Why waste time, after all?

I live near uptown and its got good spots there, especially Andersonville

Viewt

I wouldn't call Uptown "super safe" as it's got more crime than the surrounding neighborhoods, but it's still not at all bad.

Well, I guess it just comes off as super safe compared to what I was reading when I thought I might have to work/commute through East Garfield Park and such.

Where are you communting from? I wish I worked in Uptown-- I could walk!

A buddy of mine lives in Logan Square and he's letting me crash in his spare bedroom for a couple months while I get settled and find the right place. So I'll be commuting from there for a while. The routes from Google Maps seem crazy simple - shouldn't be a problem at all.

I'm not a huge beer fan so Hopleaf didn't really do much for me personally (I don't believe they had any cider) but it's definitely a fan favorite. We loved the area but taking the red line home on nights when the Cubs played was just an absolute nightmare so we moved to the South Loop for our 2nd and 3rd years in the city.

Chicago is great but the winters are very, very long. We moved from FL as well and that component was ultimately what made us leave. My fiancee simply could never get adjusted to it. It frequently snows in April and can still be quite cold in May.

It's definitely a massive change from Florida, but I really don't mind. I've been through a full Midwest winter before in Minnesota and I've visited Chicago a handful of times in the winter. It's definitely not a breeze (ha!), but I'm confident that I can handle it. I may get a space heater, though... Luckily, it seems like it should start to warm up in the next month or so.

As for Hopleaf, I'm a giant craft beer nerd, so if it's popular with that crowd, I'm sure I'll love it. :)

I'm incredibly psyched. I've always loved visiting Chicago and I've been trying to get out of Florida for years.

Top Bottom