• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Talon

Oh, Green Mill. I forgot about that place. I used to take classes at the Annoyance, which is right next door to it!

As for the zoo, I've definitely suggested that - I live right around the corner from it, so it'd be silly for me to not at least SHOW it to them.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in Chicago that hasn't taken a class at Annoyance, IO, etc.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in Chicago that hasn't taken a class at Annoyance, IO, etc.

You should talk to my coworkers. They look at me like I'm some kind of unicorn.

Then again, that's what happens when you're the lone male twenty-something in an office populated almost entirely by women over 40.

Anyone else planning on going to Spring Awakening? Slim chance, but I thought I'd ask and see :p Still a couple weekends away (14th-16th of June) but I'm getting so hyped for it!

I've been considering it. I'm a music improvisor, so I probably SHOULD see it...but tickets are expensive. I'm lucky I got into Book of Mormon through the daily drawing or I probably never would've seen it.

Anyone participating in the naked bike ride next weekend? My divorce is all most finished and i move into bucktown on saturday. Yay, for new life.

joelseph

Anyone interested in Kickball in Humboldt? Not going to lie, we are the worst team in the league BUT ITS FUN. Lots of beer drinking and elbow rubbing with the who's who of the west side. Coed team but we are in dire need of dedicated dudes that can kick and catch a ball. We are currently 0-1 in our 9 game season. PM me if any of you are interested. We are playing Peace's team this Sunday.

When is this? I might do this if it's nice :D
Aw, too bad :( The lineup rules.

Its june 8th everyone meets at the harpo "O" around 6pm and gets down their skivvies. Cops will bust you if you are straight commando but thongs and banana hammocks are okay and girls can wear tape or pasties. Ride goes for 12 mileish and then everyone puts clothes back on goes for drinks. Me and my friend will be doing it and maybe some of her friends.

Spectators are kind of welcome but the route is a secret until it starts. there are a couple places to camp out and wait for the group of several hundred to show up and ride past.

http://chicagonakedride.org/

Hey Chicago-GAF. I am looking for some advice, suggestions for places to stay/go during my trip this July. I fly in to O'hare on July 4th and would like to spend that weekend in or around Chicago. I have visited once before, hit the tourist spots i.e Willis Tower, Museums, Navy Pier etc but this time want to look further a field and experience part of Chicago that isn't so obvious.

I will have a car so don't really fancy staying in downtown/the loop area. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for a suburb to stay in that had easy access to downtown by train/bus and also some local 'attractions'. If there are any celebrations happening on July 4th that are worth checking out in your local area then let me know because I would most likely turn up.

I plan to stay all weekend and shall browse this thread to see any previous recommendations for activities but feel free to give me more. Also, on the other end of the spectrum, places I shouldn't go and areas to avoid?

If anyone needs someone to housesit for that weekend then this gaffer is happy to do so :)

Hey Chicago-GAF. I am looking for some advice, suggestions for places to stay/go during my trip this July. I fly in to O'hare on July 4th and would like to spend that weekend in or around Chicago. I have visited once before, hit the tourist spots i.e Willis Tower, Museums, Navy Pier etc but this time want to look further a field and experience part of Chicago that isn't so obvious.

I will have a car so don't really fancy staying in downtown/the loop area. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for a suburb to stay in that had easy access to downtown by train/bus and also some local 'attractions'. If there are any celebrations happening on July 4th that are worth checking out in your local area then let me know because I would most likely turn up.

I plan to stay all weekend and shall browse this thread to see any previous recommendations for activities but feel free to give me more. Also, on the other end of the spectrum, places I shouldn't go and areas to avoid?

If anyone needs someone to housesit for that weekend then this gaffer is happy to do so :)

If you dont mind a drive, you should check out Galloping Ghost is brookfield. Its the second largest arcade in the united states. Its about 35-40 minutes out once you hit lakeshore or 90-94 to 55. 15 dollars gets your unlimited play on all the cabinets (200+) from 1pm to 2am. You can also hit up the MapRoom which is a great bar with a ridiculous amount of beers on tap.

If you dont mind a drive, you should check out Galloping Ghost is brookfield. Its the second largest arcade in the united states. Its about 35-40 minutes out once you hit lakeshore or 90-94 to 55. 15 dollars gets your unlimited play on all the cabinets (200+) from 1pm to 2am. You can also hit up the MapRoom which is a great bar with a ridiculous amount of beers on tap.

Thank you so much for mentioning that place. I live about 10 minutes away in Lagrange. I will be going there very often now!

Sai-kun

Banned
Its june 8th everyone meets at the harpo "O" around 6pm and gets down their skivvies. Cops will bust you if you are straight commando but thongs and banana hammocks are okay and girls can wear tape or pasties. Ride goes for 12 mileish and then everyone puts clothes back on goes for drinks. Me and my friend will be doing it and maybe some of her friends.

Spectators are kind of welcome but the route is a secret until it starts. there are a couple places to camp out and wait for the group of several hundred to show up and ride past.

http://chicagonakedride.org/

Okay, I'm not doing shit on Saturday, so I'm doing this :lol I totally know about the big Harpo O-thing, but for the life of me can't remember where it actually is. Somewhere by the West Loop right?

time to pick out a nice pair of underwear!

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
For any EDM fans, how is Palladium at Castle? I'm thinking about going to a Spring Awakening afterparty there and I'm curious to know what the normal crowd is like, how expensive drinks are, if the bouncers are douches about getting in even with a ticket, etc.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Coming into town for a short trip here in a couple of weeks. Staying at the Hyatt Regency on Wacker. Anything worth checking out in the immediate area?

All I have scheduled is a Cubs game. Will probably check out the Sears Tower, too.

Wife and I did the Segway Tour today which was a lot of fun. Probably one of more unique things we've ever done. I'd recommend that if you have never done something like that before.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Alright yall. I am gonna be moving back to the Chi, and I'm looking for some ideas on apartments. I previously lived in River North in a 500 sq/ft studio for $1200/mo, and I'm looking to get something larger without going above $1500 or so. It doesn't necessarily need to be in River North, but I would like to be close since that's where I'd be working, or at least close as fuck to the Red Line. Any of you know of any gems?

Alright yall. I am gonna be moving back to the Chi, and I'm looking for some ideas on apartments. I previously lived in River North in a 500 sq/ft studio for $1200/mo, and I'm looking to get something larger without going above $1500 or so. It doesn't necessarily need to be in River North, but I would like to be close since that's where I'd be working, or at least close as fuck to the Red Line. Any of you know of any gems?

The further North you are willing to go, the cheaper it gets. It's only about 30 minutes to get all the way up to Uptown, where prices should really drop off.

Viewt

If you just need a train to River North, you might want to look for places near the Brown Line, as well. You might find some luck in Ravenswood.

Viewt

I hate everyone today. On the train to work, one drunk teen threw up on a womans head and another whipped his dick out to pee in a bottle.

Man, I've been crazy lucky. I've never even seen shit like this but I hear about it from friends all the time. A buddy of mine was on that train where a homeless guy slapped a woman in the face with a sock full of shit.

Aside from the Blue Line consistently smelling like hot piss after 11 PM, my CTA experience has been peachy.

Today was nuts. Biking and running errands with people drunk for the Blackhawks parade at 10:30 AM, not paying attention AT ALL to the bike lane and bike traffic lights (Dearborn) was such a pain in the ass.

Talon

Man, I've been crazy lucky. I've never even seen shit like this but I hear about it from friends all the time. A buddy of mine was on that train where a homeless guy slapped a woman in the face with a sock full of shit.

Aside from the Blue Line consistently smelling like hot piss after 11 PM, my CTA experience has been peachy.
Only bad experience I had was a dude shooting up heroin on a 3 AM Red line. Yeah, that was not cool.

And drunk ass hos and bros trying to dance and instead of falling onto my feet.

Chicago GAF I need your advice. I've been job hunting and I keep seeing jobs that end up being in Chicago area (i dont know all the suburb names). My question is what would a person need to be making in order to have a one bedroom in a decent apartment? Also, are there parts of the city that one would best avoid altogether?

Chicago GAF I need your advice. I've been job hunting and I keep seeing jobs that end up being in Chicago area (i dont know all the suburb names). My question is what would a person need to be making in order to have a one bedroom in a decent apartment? Also, are there parts of the city that one would best avoid altogether?
I have friends who live in the city and pay as low as $600-700. Unfortunately, I'm still in the burbs. I prefer the Uptown area or Lakeview but I know there are people here who hate that area.

Viewt

I've only been here for ~4 months, so there are probably other people who have a lot more experience with this, but here's my take.

Chicago, for my money, has to be one of the easiest cities to move to. I found a job within three weeks of looking (and then had to find ANOTHER job a couple months later when it turned out my then-boss was kind of crooked, and THAT only took like two and a half weeks) and, depending on your area, you can find a 1/1 or 2/1 relatively inexpensively. I mean, it's a city, but it's hardly San Francisco or New York when it comes to real estate.

I live here, so maybe I'm biased, but I think Logan Square is a great bargain. I just moved into a recently-rehab'd 2/1 where the rent is $1175/month. This is off of Francisco & Armitage to give you an approximation of what amenities that affords (walking distance to the California Blue Line stop, walking distance to North where you can grab a quick bus to the Red Line, tons of buses, a billion and a half bars and restaurants, etc).

If you're making upwards of $40K, I'd say you can be comfortable in Logan Square. Hell, I have friends who work restaurant gigs and they live just fine.

If you need something a little cheaper, you can check out the nearby Humboldt Park, though that area can be dicey depending on where you are exactly. There's Bucktown to the east of Logan Square, which is a little more pricey, but a very cool area.

A lot of people will perhaps recommend Lincoln Park. It's a very beautiful area, but for my money, Logan Square is more fun. Uptown, Rogers Park, Edgewater, etc. are nice, but they can get pricey quickly. Logan Square is young, fun and affordable.

joelseph

I pay 1200 for a 1 bed 2 bath Coach House (no neighbors) in Humboldt Park. You couldn't pay me to live anywhere else. I love that the "edginess" of it scares the average person out.

Hi Chicago-GAF, need some advice.

My mom starting tomorrow has the next week or so off and wants to go on a trip via amtrak. We live in St Louis so it'd only be a 5 hour trip. Need advice on what to do and where we can go in the span of a day roughly near the station. We don't want to spend too much money on transportation like cabs but trolleys, rails, or walking is fine (mostly want to do a lot of walking). We'd stay longer if we actually knew someone in the city or if there were cheap hotels near station but money's tight so a one day excursion is enough. I'm going to assume Chicago Amtrak station is about as safe and busy as Grand Station in NY

Random stuff: My mom really likes clothes stores and gardens. I'm a goddamn foodie and want to eat a damn good Chicago pizza as well as any other must have cheap (under $10) food.

Hi Chicago-GAF, need some advice.

My mom starting tomorrow has the next week or so off and wants to go on a trip via amtrak. We live in St Louis so it'd only be a 5 hour trip. Need advice on what to do and where we can go in the span of a day roughly near the station. We don't want to spend too much money on transportation like cabs but trolleys, rails, or walking is fine (mostly want to do a lot of walking). We'd stay longer if we actually knew someone in the city or if there were cheap hotels near station but money's tight so a one day excursion is enough. I'm going to assume Chicago Amtrak station is about as safe and busy as Grand Station in NY

Random stuff: My mom really likes clothes stores and gardens. I'm a goddamn foodie and want to eat a damn good Chicago pizza as well as any other must have cheap (under $10) food.

It's honestly going to be hard to be a foodie for under $10 and IME, the StL/Chicago Amtrak takes about 6.5 hours each way. That's going to be really rough to do in a day.

Henke

Chicago-GAF - I've been offered the chance to go and stay with a friend in Chicago for a week or so over the Thanksgiving period. I've never been to the States before (although I've been to Canada a few times - close enough, right?) and don't really know much about the place. I've gathered from reading through this thread that there's plenty of amazing food to be experienced but would there be enough in the city during that time of year to keep me occupied for up to maybe 4/5 days during my friend's work hours?

Also, what is the weather likely to be like during late November/early December? I'm from Scotland so I can handle the cold but ideally I'd like a break from the constant rain we're blessed with and snow would likely make the trip that bit more frustrating.

Cheers guys!

Chicago-GAF - I've been offered the chance to go and stay with a friend in Chicago for a week or so over the Thanksgiving period. I've never been to the States before (although I've been to Canada a few times - close enough, right?) and don't really know much about the place. I've gathered from reading through this thread that there's plenty of amazing food to be experienced but would there be enough in the city during that time of year to keep me occupied for up to maybe 4/5 days during my friend's work hours?

Also, what is the weather likely to be like during late November/early December? I'm from Scotland so I can handle the cold but ideally I'd like a break from the constant rain we're blessed with and snow would likely make the trip that bit more frustrating.

Cheers guys!

There's more than enough to occupy you for that long, perhaps longer. Depends on what you are into, but there are tons of museums and tons of shopping, which are probably the two most popular things to do when it's cold.

Weather-wise, it could be anywhere from 60 F to 30 F that week. More than likely it will be in the 40s. I suppose that translates to ranging from 15 C to 0 C, with most likey being around 7-10 C.

Henke

That's no colder than it would be at home then. Excellent.
Museums and the likes would be ideal if I'm going to be spending time in the city by myself too.

Top Bottom