• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

ToD_

I just moved out of Lakeview after having lived there for about 6 years. The girlfriend and I decided to get a new apartment together in Andersonville.

Due to a busy work/school schedule I haven't had the chance to explore the neighborhood as much as I wanted. We tried a few restaurants so far (Vincent, the Brixton, Big Jones, Svea and Anteprima), and we're of course familiar with Hopleaf. Anyone have any recommendations for restaurants and/or bars in the area?

I just moved out of Lakeview after having lived there for about 6 years. The girlfriend and I decided to get a new apartment together in Andersonville.

Due to a busy work/school schedule I haven't had the chance to explore the neighborhood as much as I wanted. We tried a few restaurants so far (Vincent, the Brixton, Big Jones, Svea and Anteprima), and we're of course familiar with Hopleaf. Anyone have any recommendations for restaurants and/or bars in the area?

A Taste of Heaven has some really great choices, especially for brunch. Right at Balmoral/Clark.

I don't eat there often anymore, but Andie's was a staple for a long time. I prefer it to Reza'a, which is the other big Middle-Eastern food choice.

Another place I don't go often enough, but is really excellent, is La Fonda on Broadway. Not Andersonville but walkable. I have no idea how they are still in business as it's always empty, but the food is really good.

Pauline's at Balmoral/Ravenwood is good for a huge breakfast platter type meal.

Noodle Zone has good (but not great) Asian food at a really good price. Tanoshi has great sushi at a higher price.

Where in Andersonville are you? I'm just down the block from Vincent.

ToD_

A Taste of Heaven has some really great choices, especially for brunch. Right at Balmoral/Clark.

I don't eat there often anymore, but Andie's was a staple for a long time. I prefer it to Reza'a, which is the other big Middle-Eastern food choice.

Another place I don't go often enough, but is really excellent, is La Fonda on Broadway. Not Andersonville but walkable. I have no idea how they are still in business as it's always empty, but the food is really good.

Pauline's at Balmoral/Ravenwood is good for a huge breakfast platter type meal.

Noodle Zone has good (but not great) Asian food at a really good price. Tanoshi has great sushi at a higher price.

Where in Andersonville are you? I'm just down the block from Vincent.

Excellent. Thanks for the recommendations. I've spotted Andie's already (hard to miss), but wil look up the others and maybe give some of them a try.

We are practically neighbors then. I live on Summerdale, east of Clark. Almost no excuse not to do a GAF meetup at some point.

Yep, you're just a street away.

I miss Augie's in andersonville :( used to go there once a week for breakfast for like...probably 7-8 years

Damn, I do too. I also miss Angel's. We went from 2 diners (three if Ann Sathers counts) to zero, which is a huge shame since diners are easy choices for family meals. Now we have to drive to get to one, other than Svea, which is really small.

Dany

Banned
I was just out around 8 am and it is increadibly pleasent, the sun is shining, there is a slight breeze. This is perfect fall weather. Not too cold

Viewt

This morning, my girlfriend and I jumped on the southbound Red Line and had a wonderful exchange with a homeless gentleman who wouldn't stop spitting on the ground and yelling, "Make the law, break the law, nigga!" at us.

CTA in the moooorniiiiing~

Beaulieu

ill be in chi-town from sunday to thursday next week
never been
plenty of free time
what is there to do ? restaurants/bars suggestions ? is there a nightlife during week nights ? Id like to party and eat awesome stuff. and visit.

Rival

Gold Member
ill be in chi-town from sunday to thursday next week
never been
plenty of free time
what is there to do ? restaurants/bars suggestions ? is there a nightlife during week nights ? Id like to party and eat awesome stuff. and visit.
What type of food do you want and how much do you want to spend?

kick51

Banned
That was some shit weather yesterday. Knew when i saw snow on my morning walk that it was not gonna be a clear halloween.

Viewt

Glad I checked the weather before leaving for work. After all the "OH NOES 3.5 INCHES OF SNOW!!" it's gonna be a high 40s to 60º day.

eosos

Banned
Hey ChicagoGAF, Im moving to Chicago this summer! I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in Lakeview and then commutig to work in the city (wacker drive). I was wondering if any of you knew how much I should expect to pay for parking if I wanted to have a car.

Viewt

Depending on where you live, street parking could be an option (though it can get dicey day-to-day). Renting a parking space in Lakeview's probably expensive, though. A buddy of mine told me his is like $150/month.

If a car isn't already in the picture, I'd recommend against it. If you're in Lakeview, odds are you won't be far from a Red or Brown Line station, which will get you to the Loop just fine.

Or you could always choose to live in a place that isn't Lakeview, pay way less in rent and live near an El stop (Blue Line, for example) AND have a car.

Look, it's a nice area, and maybe it suits your lifestyle better, but personally, Lakeview is an area that I really only venture into for the occasional restaurant or if I need to see a movie at the Landmark.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Brown line closed. Lsd closed. Small plane crash at midway. Clearly the gods don't want us going into the city today. Everyone should have been given the day off

joelseph

Brown line closed. Lsd closed. Small plane crash at midway. Clearly the gods don't want us going into the city today. Everyone should have been given the day off

Sucks to live on the northside! I did feel a twinge of sadness pulling into Clark and Lake on the blue this morning. Stay warm out there for anyone getting fucked with their commutes this morning.

joelseph

Hey ChicagoGAF, Im moving to Chicago this summer! I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in Lakeview and then commutig to work in the city (wacker drive). I was wondering if any of you knew how much I should expect to pay for parking if I wanted to have a car.

Depending on your neighborhood street parking is either free or permit. If you live in a permit district you will automatically be charged and receive one as part of your city sticker. Parking and everything in general sucks in Lakeview. Good luck!

Picture of the Bus that was on fire:

Gqhbfjw.jpg

Heading to Chicago for the weekend! So excited. Silly snow though.

What are the essentials to visit? I'll do some research by reading this thread as much as I can.

Also, spot me some weed!

glow

Banned
Heading to Chicago for the weekend! So excited. Silly snow though.

What are the essentials to visit? I'll do some research by reading this thread as much as I can.

Also, spot me some weed!

What kind of vacation is this and is this going to be your first time here? Are you looking to do tourist sightseeing stuff or bars/clubs/nightlife, or both? Where will you be staying?

btw, I can hook you up but can't spot you any. Sorry. PM me if you're interested.

Top Bottom