• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Chris R

Outside of the Field Museum how much stuff near downtown would you say is "required" for a tourist visiting? I'll be in town this summer for a few days on business but might extend the stay for a few days depending on suggestions here.

Wasn't planning on renting a car since the conference is in a hotel half a mile from the L (can I call it that? Or do I have to say "Elevated Public Transportation System" :p)

Outside of the Field Museum how much stuff near downtown would you say is "required" for a tourist visiting? I'll be in town this summer for a few days on business but might extend the stay for a few days depending on suggestions here.

Wasn't planning on renting a car since the conference is in a hotel half a mile from the L (can I call it that? Or do I have to say "Elevated Public Transportation System" :p)

Art Institute is a great museum. I would go there before the Field. In fact, I'd make the trek to the Museum of Science and Industry before the Field, too.

If it's a clear day, a trip to the top of the Sears Tower is fun.

Depending on timing, there can be a lot of street festivals and such, too.

Chris R

Art Institute is a great museum. I would go there before the Field. In fact, I'd make the trek to the Museum of Science and Industry before the Field, too.

If it's a clear day, a trip to the top of the Sears Tower is fun.

Depending on timing, there can be a lot of street festivals and such, too.

Early June from the look of things. The only other thing I kinda wanted to do was rent a bike and cruise up the Lakefront Trail as far as it goes if the weather is sunny and not too hot/humid.

wingwah

Banned
Why does Lou Malinoti taste like frozen pizza? Do they just heat those mail order ones and deliver them?

I'm not trolling here believe it or not, but I've been tasting different pizzas every day and Lou's tastes good, but not that great.

I've had Giordano's twice now including today and I savored every last morsel. I suppose I just prefer "stuffed" pizza. I plan on trying Pequod's next week and Uno.

I must say though, I just moved from California so every pizza place here automatically tastes good to me and I definitely shouldn't nitpick. I was just eating Papa John's before I got here, so praise jeebus for Chicago pizza.

Dany

Banned
Pequads is the best. Actually had it last night, so great. Only ever had Lou's twice but that was years ago. Nothing special

I still need to go to pequods. Theres one right by my Metra station maybe I'll stop by one day after work.

Edit: Screw it, I'll order a pizza tonight.

Whats the best pizza from there to get? My usual is either pepperoni or Hawaiian.

Viewt

I usually have thin, but sometimes I want deep dish. The ration is more than 10:1 thin to dd for me, though.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same. Every once in a while, you just want it. Usually I'll wait until the next time I have friends in town, and take them over to Pequod's. No one's been disappointed yet.

If it's thin crust you're after, Piece is good, and Bartoli's is very solid tavern style (with delicious fried cheese balls) and Boiler Room has the ever-enjoyable PB&J special (one-topping slice of pizza, a tallboy of PBR and a shot of Jameson for $7). But my favorite pizza in Chicago happens to be just down the street from my apartment - Dante's Pizzeria.

maApFvr.jpg

They're also BYOB - grab some Midwest favorites at Foodsmart a couple blocks away!

Any other Andersonville folks happy about Reply opening up?

I'm not the target demographic of the original Replay, but seeing as how they're having lunch and dinner at this one as well as drinks, I'm hoping this is a place I can take the family on a Saturday afternoon.

Sai-kun

Banned
Uhhh I'm fairly certain the Replay in Andersonville will be just as gay as the one in Boystown :p

But the lunch/dinner thing is neat, didn't know that. I'm kind of excited to see the location when it opens up, since I think the space on Halsted is soooo small

Chicago Gaffer checking in. Bowmanville neighborhood (Balmoral & Damen). I just got back from a short trip to Cali and I've been spoiled by the warmth. It's coming soon enough. I can't wait to run up and down the lakefront.

Sai-kun

Banned
We definitely need a LakeviewGAF meetup. Or really, just a ChicagoGAF meetup. Can't wait until the weather warms up just a bit more.

reKon

Banned
Please share your top secret free parking spots in Lakeview that are actually somewhat available (probably a myth). I used to live in North Center and difference in parking street parking availability is night and day.

Viewt

My girlfriend lives in Roscoe Village, so I'm in Lakeview pretty often. Or, at least, I will be until September/October when she moves into my Logan Square apartment.

I have some issues with Lakeview (mostly the spillover from Wrigleyville), but I'll give you guys your due - you have some great restaurants and I like the Landmark theater quite a bit. I'll eat a Cheesie's grilled cheese pretty much any damn day, too.

I'm just more of a Logan/Humboldt/Avondale person, I suppose.

Chicago lawn, grew up in little village though when I was younger. I can't really go north right now to visit since I'm looking for a job & don't have the funds to move around Chicago. But if any cool gaffers ever want to meet up as a group or a party I'm down. I wanna meet some cool local people! Also this is my first time posting in this thread, hello all!

Viewt

Day started out with me shaking Rahm Emanuel's hand while listening to the Bombcast. Kinda weird combination if you ask me.

So the day before the first election, Rahm was hanging out at the Grand Red Line station shaking people's hands. I was just going to walk past him, but we made eye contact and he put his hand out. Then we had the following exchange:

Rahm: "Good afternoon, how's the day treating you?"
Me: "Oh, hi, uh, good so far, thanks."
Rahm: "Well I don't want to keep you waiting, but I hope I'll have your vote tomorrow."
Me: "Oh, right, yeah, uh, you or Chuy haha!"
Rahm: *stoneface*
Me: "Ah, I mean, uh... BYE!"

Then I ran down the stairs. Not my most elegant hour, but I wasn't prepared!

Still voted for Chuy, and I'll do it again!

About a month and a half ago, I had a half day of work, and so my fiancee and I decided to go to Wishbone. Rahm was there having breakfast with his mayoral crew. It wasn't that crowded, but he finishes up, and starts glad-handing the far part of the restaurant. He then starts heading towards us, we make brief eye contact and he gives a curt nod as he passes right past our table as well as the table of the white couple there (we're Asian) and makes a beeline straight towards the black and hispanic folks in the room.

We were amused.

Dany

Banned
Then I ran down the stairs. Not my most elegant hour, but I wasn't prepared!

Still voted for Chuy, and I'll do it again!

Thats hilarious.

My residence is still in the burbs, I should really have it switched to chicago. I'll do it after we move in the summer. I think I'd vote for Rahm. Although Chuy would get rid of all the traffic cameras, i dislike his position on increasing police force,the BRT on ashland and the flyover on Belmont.

Top Bottom