• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Yep, no need, just like they had no need to generalize anyone who came out of Cabrini Green, yet I heard it all the damn time growing up from northsiders. Hell, people all day every day generalize the south and west side regularly, but you know, dish but can't take I guess.

I don't dish, and I live in one of the more integrated Northside neighborhoods.

I think its suppose to be satire. It seems to be executed in a pretty shitty way, especially since people actually share those feelings towards the homeless.

I think its suppose to be satire. It seems to be executed in a pretty shitty way, especially since people actually share those feelings towards the homeless.

Yeah people treat the homeless like shit. I stop and talk to the guys on Franklin and Jackson all the time, and feed them if they haven't ate, and people talk to them like you would expect on something like 4chan. It's basically the only time where internet asshole anonymity is accepted in the real world and no one bats an eye.

Yeah people treat the homeless like shit. I stop and talk to the guys on Franklin and Jackson all the time, and feed them if they haven't ate, and people talk to them like you would expect on something like 4chan. It's basically the only time where internet asshole anonymity is accepted in the real world and no one bats an eye.

It is pretty disgusting.

I don't usually give, but I'll buy Streetwise sometime and I make eye contact and be respectful even if not giving anything.

reKon

Banned
Saw this on the Chicago subreddit. Apparently these are popping up on the north side. Anybody actually seen one?

y2IE8IG.jpg

Not really sure if it's meant to be satire or just a gross joke about homeless people.

That's fucked up

Saw this on the Chicago subreddit. Apparently these are popping up on the north side. Anybody actually seen one?

y2IE8IG.jpg

I heard about this on NPR this morning. I think it's just really poorly thought out satire.

On a light note, C2E2 is this weekend. Anyone going? I think I'm going with my brother, niece and nephew,

Viewt

lmao! i love people

i also love sunshine :> taking my 3 hour break between classes and putting it to good use by sittin out by the lake!

It really is super gorgeous today. And hot damn are there some gorgeous people out today. I feel like everyone got the "show some skin" memo today.

Gonna have to follow this thread around late summer/early fall...was able to get into this year's Chicago Marathon via lottery, gonna need some restaurant recommendations from ChiGAF until then, yo. =)

Dany

Banned
It really is super gorgeous today. And hot damn are there some gorgeous people out today. I feel like everyone got the "show some skin" memo today.
It's so darn humid. I went for a run and 15 minutes in, I felt like i was in a sauna. The wind and smell from the lake can't be matched <3

It's so darn humid. I went for a run and 15 minutes in, I felt like i was in a sauna. The wind and smell from the lake can't be matched <3

well, dry heat is nice for just lounging around. wet heat is nice for keeping your skin youthful and moisturized.

reKon

Banned
I've been in Texas the past weekend where's been hot an humid. If it was dry heat, you have nothing to be complaining about

Viewt

Riot Fest is moving to Douglas Park.

I've only been around there a couple times (I had surgery at Sinai Hospital back in January). The park is kinda nice, but the surrounding areas looked rough. Do you guys think this will be a boon to the neighborhood?

It's a hugely successful and popular festival, so maybe this will bring some cash to the area to help out with development. I suppose there's also the line of thinking that the neighborhood won't be as insistent as Humboldt Park to clean up the mess afterwards.

I've never been to Riot Fest, although last year I was interested in going, but funds and a looming surgery prevented me from going. Maybe this year if the lineup is good.

I used to live around that hood, it's not a safe one I'll give you that. I don't care much for riot fest so I never go but who knows what will happen. Just be around people other punks or your friends. Don't go walking around too much cause you'll probably getting robbed lmao

Anything cool going on this weekend aside from sport and general holiday weekend craziness? Gonna be visiting Chicago for the first time, with my wife and child, and staying at her aunt's place near Lincoln Park. I've already found some cool recommendations for places to check out from this thread and some of the other Chicago ones, but just curious about anything timely.

Thanks.

Lately i have been doing a lot of work for this circus company. We are having out first big show next Friday and tickets are 20% right now. Its made up of all professional circus performers but they are cosplaying as tons of different super heroes. We have a batman and robin act and Joker harley Quinn act. I think deadpool will be there.

with the code AISUPERFAN you get 20% off the 35 dollar price.
http://www.vittumtheater.org/acrobatica-infiniti.html

joelseph

Anything cool going on this weekend aside from sport and general holiday weekend craziness? Gonna be visiting Chicago for the first time, with my wife and child, and staying at her aunt's place near Lincoln Park. I've already found some cool recommendations for places to check out from this thread and some of the other Chicago ones, but just curious about anything timely.

Thanks.

Street fest in Pilsen with live Lucha libre wrestling

Viewt

Ooph, I was in Nashville all weekend, and I think it's actually more humid here. Add in a late flight into town and not much sleep and I feel like I was moving at a snail's pace walking to work.

Sai-kun

Banned
i feel so sorry for anyone going to that festival

because they will likely be overwhelmed by the incredible amount of choices they have to make ;( the decisions of who to see and not see are always the hardest!!!

Me and my wife haven't had a getaway since our two and a half year old son was born so we are planning on spending next weekend in the Chicago area. We are will be staying in the Lincoln Square neighborhood. Unfortunately we are not very familiar with the area (I haven't been since college) and are terrible at planning things to do. Any locals have any suggestions?

Some relevant facts which might help:

1) We are old. (not really) We are in our mid to late thirties so we wouldn't mind doing things age appropriate. We would prefer a mixed or older crowd.

2) We are poor (not really). We don't however wanna break the bank for a weekend. We might go out to a nice dinner one night but would like to find cheaper entertainment if possible.

3) We are lazy (not really). We both don't mind a little walking but we aren't in the best of shape and would like to relax a little. So no indoor rock climbing or anything of the sort.

Thanks to all in advance. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Viewt

Me and my wife haven't had a getaway since our two and a half year old son was born so we are planning on spending next weekend in the Chicago area. We are will be staying in the Lincoln Square neighborhood. Unfortunately we are not very familiar with the area (I haven't been since college) and are terrible at planning things to do. Any locals have any suggestions?

Some relevant facts which might help:

1) We are old. (not really) We are in our mid to late thirties so we wouldn't mind doing things age appropriate. We would prefer a mixed or older crowd.

2) We are poor (not really). We don't however wanna break the bank for a weekend. We might go out to a nice dinner one night but would like to find cheaper entertainment if possible.

3) We are lazy (not really). We both don't mind a little walking but we aren't in the best of shape and would like to relax a little. So no indoor rock climbing or anything of the sort.

Thanks to all in advance. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Well Lincoln Square is actually a pretty solid choice, then. It's very walkable and there's stuff to do, but it's a little more breezy and quiet than a lot of other neighborhoods in Chicago. Lincoln Square, in my experience, is where people move when they have kids, but they still want to live in the city and they don't wanna shell out the cash for the crazy real estate in Lakeview.

Here's my recommendation for dinner. If you're into Korean food, check out SongDo Galbi. It's a BYOB Korean BBQ joint where it's ALSO ~$20/person AND buffet style (AKA all you can eat). Would I say the quality is as excellent as, say, Chicago Kalbi? No, but it's still very good provided you stick to the main fare (i.e. kalbi, pork belly, chicken and all of the side dishes) and stay away from the more adventurous stuff like liver or intestine. I actually like that kinda stuff, but I had it here, and it's just not that great. But if you stick to the tried and true dishes, you'll have a great time on a budget. Grab a bottle of wine / 6-pack of beer at one of the nearby liquor stores and settle in!

Sai-kun

Banned
Seconding Cho Sun Ok. My absolute favorite place for Korean food. Just make sure you get there before 6:30 to beat the rush of folks that show up for dinner!

OctoMan

Banned
Thanks. Yes that's him. We were at vaughns last saturday. I assume that's where he was last night as well though I was in moving places, so I'm not sure. I've been told they do have someone in custody in contrast to news reports, so that's good at least. I'm still in shock. Obviously you hear the shooting reports every (mon)day but they don't seem real until it hits home I guess.

reKon

Banned
One of my friends shot and murdered last night. Ugh. Someone fix this city.

So sorry for your loss. I'll keep you in my prayers. I was out in Wriggleyville last night, but read about it what happened this morning. Can't believe that was your friend.

Cardon

One of my friends shot and murdered last night. Ugh. Someone fix this city.

Sorry for your lost man. Things are definitely getting crazy in the city, and it's just nuts all around that stuff like that is happening. Just don't know what can be done to contain or stop the violence to a degree since the issues are steeped in so many different facets.

Dany

Banned
Thanks. Yes that's him. We were at vaughns last saturday. I assume that's where he was last night as well though I was in moving places, so I'm not sure. I've been told they do have someone in custody in contrast to news reports, so that's good at least. I'm still in shock. Obviously you hear the shooting reports every (mon)day but they don't seem real until it hits home I guess.

Gosh I'm so so sorry :(

dubq

Hello Chi-town GAF, I am from Toronto GAF. I will be coming to your glorious city soon for recreation and wanted to get some recos on fun stuff to do. I've been there once before but it was more for work and I wasn't able to do much outside of that.

Thanks! :)

Viewt

Hello Chi-town GAF, I am from Toronto GAF. I will be coming to your glorious city soon for recreation and wanted to get some recos on fun stuff to do. I've been there once before but it was more for work and I wasn't able to do much outside of that.

Thanks! :)

Nice! It'd be easier to make recommendations based on some added info:

- What neighborhood will you be staying in?
- What sort of nightlife are you into?
- Any particular food you want to try?
- How touristy do you want your visit to be? Are you into stuff like a Riverboat Architecture Tour, or would you be more inclined to just walk around interesting areas and make your own fun?
- Are you looking to do any shopping, and if so, what kinda stuff are you looking for?

For fun, here's a random great way you could spend a day in Chicago:

Morning
- Breakfast at Grandma J's in Humboldt Park
- Walk around Humboldt Park (the actual park, not the neighborhood) - lots of cool stuff to spot like butterfly gardens and public art - and take pictures.

Afternoon
- Go a bit north and buy some records at Logan Hardware. Then use your receipt to get access to the arcade in the back.
- Grab lunch at Owen & Engine.
- Go see a movie at the historic Logan Theatre. Specifically, grab a drink from their bar and see a movie with your booze in tow.

Evening:
- Hit up Belly Shack for dinner and get their take on the jibarito, a Chicago sandwich invention that's essentially a steak sandwich with fried plantains instead of bread. They sell beer there, but you should note that they're BYOB, so feel free to grab some beer at a nearby liquor store and settle in.
- Go drinking at Quencher's. It's a quality beer bar with a dive-ish, relaxed feel, and there's live shows there fairly frequently if you're into that.
- Get some post-drinking ice cream at Margie's Candies. You GOTTA do it.

Nice! It'd be easier to make recommendations based on some added info:

- What neighborhood will you be staying in?
- What sort of nightlife are you into?
- Any particular food you want to try?
- How touristy do you want your visit to be? Are you into stuff like a Riverboat Architecture Tour, or would you be more inclined to just walk around interesting areas and make your own fun?
- Are you looking to do any shopping, and if so, what kinda stuff are you looking for?

Morning
- Breakfast at Grandma J's in Humboldt Park
- Walk around Humboldt Park (the actual park, not the neighborhood) - lots of cool stuff to spot like butterfly gardens and public art - and take pictures.

Afternoon
- Go a bit north and buy some records at Logan Hardware. Then use your receipt to get access to the arcade in the back.
- Grab lunch at Owen & Engine.
- Go see a movie at the historic Logan Theatre. Specifically, grab a drink from their bar and see a movie with your booze in tow.

Evening:
- Hit up Belly Shack for dinner and get their take on the jibarito, a Chicago sandwich invention that's essentially a steak sandwich with fried plantains instead of bread. They sell beer there, but you should note that they're BYOB, so feel free to grab some beer at a nearby liquor store and settle in.
- Go drinking at Quencher's. It's a quality beer bar with a dive-ish, relaxed feel, and there's live shows there fairly frequently if you're into that.
- Get some post-drinking ice cream at Margie's Candies. You GOTTA do it.

Jesus, I live in this city and now *I* want to go do this.

Specifically I've been wanting to go to Logan Hardware.

Margies is the only thing I do on this list regularly.

joelseph

That's my neighborhood! If you are into comics add Challengers (North and Western) and Brainstorm (3rd floor Flat Iron building at "6 points" North and Damen) to that wonderful list. If you are into boardgames add Cat and Mouse. If you are into coffee add Dark Matter to your stops. The walking trail will be opening in June, you can get on at Western and Bloomingdale. Have fun.

Viewt

That's my neighborhood! If you are into comics add Challengers (North and Western) and Brainstorm (3rd floor Flat Iron building at "6 points" North and Damen) to that wonderful list. If you are into boardgames add Cat and Mouse. If you are into coffee add Dark Matter to your stops. The walking trail will be opening in June, you can get on at Western and Bloomingdale. Have fun.

Hah, no joke, when I posted that, I was like, I'll bet joelseph will appreciate this list.

And I'll echo that recommendation for Challenger's - one of the few comic book stores that I actually like. And the walking trail is gonna be awesome! Can't wait to try it out this weekend, weather permitting.

Top Bottom