• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Patriots7

Old Town-ish, over here!

I don't know why I bought Lolla tickets before I saw the lineup. Outside of Paul McCartney and Metallica, nothing gets me super amped.

*sigh*

Old Town-ish, over here!

I don't know why I bought Lolla tickets before I saw the lineup. Outside of Paul McCartney and Metallica, nothing gets me super amped.

*sigh*

Not the case here, I am really pumped for this year. The lineup is better than last year imo. Kygo, FKA Twigs, Florence, Twenty One Pilots, Flying Lotus, Hot Chip, Toro Y Moi, Glass Animals are all excellent. I don't care for the headliners, but I always tend to go for the lesser known acts at Lolla.

You should just sell them though, you'd get your money back at face value or slightly higher no problem.

Dany

Banned
I liked last years more but theres plenty of new artists that I havn't had the chance to check out that are going this year.
Who else from chi-town is going?

Sai-kun

Banned
Old Town-ish, over here!

*sigh*

Yeah, this is the weakest lineup since I've started going. I'm excited for a ton of artists, but most of them I've seen several times already. I'm excited to hear new material from them, but I get the most enjoyment out of seeing acts that I know but haven't seen live before.

Kisaya

Hi ChicagoGAF! So I'm here for the week and I have some time to myself to venture out on my own. I kinda wanted to look into the city's art scene aside from big museums such as the Art Institute or MOCA, maybe like a district with galleries or other visual arts non profits? I'm staying in Lakeview but it's not an issue for me to take a train or bus or anything ;p thanks!!

TheJLC

Hi ChicagoGAF! So I'm here for the week and I have some time to myself to venture out on my own. I kinda wanted to look into the city's art scene aside from big museums such as the Art Institute or MOCA, maybe like a district with galleries or other visual arts non profits? I'm staying in Lakeview but it's not an issue for me to take a train or bus or anything ;p thanks!!
All of Chicago has different areas with different cultures and their respective museums all accessible via public transit. The national museum of Mexican art had some nice art last time I went. Nearby is the Chicago Art District, I don't know how good that place is. The Free city gallery in the Historic Water tower often has art and it's free to enter. I didn't know it was open until I walked inside, small, but free.

All of Chicago is full of art galleries, public art, and museums that have a lot of art.

Kisaya

All of Chicago has different areas with different cultures and their respective museums all accessible via public transit. The national museum of Mexican art had some nice art last time I went. Nearby is the Chicago Art District, I don't know how good that place is. The Free city gallery in the Historic Water tower often has art and it's free to enter. I didn't know it was open until I walked inside, small, but free.

All of Chicago is full of art galleries, public art, and museums that have a lot of art.

Thanks! I was looking into going to the Chicago Arts District maybe tomorrow or later today. I heard all the participating galleries do a thing every second friday of the month but unfortunately I won't be around then :(

led4lyfe

Chicago Gaf I'll be moving to your great city next week. Apt hunting has been a pain. I have a realtor currently but all the rentals he's emailing me aren't my cup of tea (I can afford up to 1300 a month but I'd prefer closer to 800) . Looking at north side near the redline so I'm just a <20 min bus or train ride to work(it's near grand redline). Everyone is telling me to not bring my car but the thought of not having it is bizarre to me. Least want to store it up there.

Viewt

Chicago Gaf I'll be moving to your great city next week. Apt hunting has been a pain. I have a realtor currently but all the rentals he's emailing me aren't my cup of tea (I can afford up to 1300 a month but I'd prefer closer to 800) . Looking at north side near the redline so I'm just a <20 min bus or train ride to work(it's near grand redline). Everyone is telling me to not bring my car but the thought of not having it is bizarre to me. Least want to store it up there.

Hi there! I'd be glad to help out with your search (and I'm sure other Chicago-GAF folks will as well).

So if you're working near the Grand Red Line stop, I'm guessing your office will be in River North or Near North Side. I work here, too! Feel free to hit me up for lunch recs. A couple things to note:
- You can also get to this area fairly easily by taking the Blue Line to either the Grand stop and heading east or to Clark/Lake stop and heading north. I do this all the time and the latter is about the same as the walk from the Grand Red Line stop.
- You can ALSO take the Brown/Purple Line to Merchandise Mart, but the Brown Line is slower and has more stops, so it definitely adds some time to the commute. But depending on where you live, it can also be more convenient. I take it occasionally when I'm leaving from my girlfriend's house because I work out at River North Gym in Merchandise Mart and it's nice being able to take a train straight there.

The Red Line is alluring because it runs 24/7, hits a lot of neighborhoods on the North Side where newcomers like to live and it's the fastest line on the L, generally. But you can save quite a bit of money by setting your sights elsewhere. As I mentioned, the Blue and Brown Lines both run fairly close to where you'll be, so that opens your options up quite a bit.

Furthermore, if you're willing to live somewhere where there isn't a super-close L stop, that'll save you a lot of money. My girlfriend lives in Roscoe Village, which is a <10 Minute bus ride to the Belmont Red Line, and she pays $1400/month for a 2/1. It takes me 35-40 minutes to get to work each morning, getting off at the Grand Red Line.

And I feel a bit like a broken record, because I think I said this on the very last page, but that $1300 will take you a lot further if you look at neighborhoods off the Blue Line. I live in Logan Square and pay less than $1200 for a 2/1 that's a 10-minute walk from the California Blue stop. It takes around 30 minutes to get to work every day, getting off at the Clark/Lake stop.

Chicago very much a city of neighborhoods, so don't feel restricted to one region - branch out and I think you'll find lots of options.

As for the car, I don't have one and it's not an issue. I take the CTA everywhere, and I just take an Uber if I'm feeling lazy. My girlfriend has a car, and she pretty much only uses it when she has to do a big round of groceries or when she's bringing all of her laundry over to my place to use my in-unit machine.

joelseph

Blue Line westside living beats Red line northside living in every way. Speaking from experience with both. Listen to View, he knows whats up.

OctoMan

Banned
I'm looking for a studio/1bd somewhere around diversey/fullerton/Armitage stops for about a grand and having a lot more difficult time than I thought I would.

Viewt

I'm looking for a studio/1bd somewhere around diversey/fullerton/Armitage stops for about a grand and having a lot more difficult time than I thought I would.

Maybe try looking near the Wellington or Damen stops further north? The Diversey/Fullerton/Armitage block is square in Lincoln Park, which is always going to be pricey.

Me too

woo

Taxi best option from ORD? Or is foot traffic downtown easy enough to do for 3/4 of a mile if I take the Blue Line?

Downtown foot traffic is fine. Worst comes to worst, take the El into the city, and take a cab or Uber/Lyft from there.

joelseph

Me too

woo

Taxi best option from ORD? Or is foot traffic downtown easy enough to do for 3/4 of a mile if I take the Blue Line?

Taxi is worst option. Blueline will take you to Clarke and Lake where you can free transfer to any other train line. That should get you within walking distance of most of 'downtown'. Google Transit works with Chicago public transportation.

Dany

Banned
Take the trains then walk.

Also download Transit App, so far the best app imo for getting around on bus/trains.
oLm6SMBl.jpg

and the widget is great when you pull down the notification center

Chris R

Taxi is worst option. Blueline will take you to Clarke and Lake where you can free transfer to any other train line. That should get you within walking distance of most of 'downtown'. Google Transit works with Chicago public transportation.

Didn't know about the free transfer. Looks like I can walk from the Blue to the Red at Jackson? Makes it a very short walk to the hotel from when I get off the Red.

Didn't know about the free transfer. Looks like I can walk from the Blue to the Red at Jackson? Makes it a very short walk to the hotel from when I get off the Red.

I've transferred from Blue to Red on Jackson everyday for 4 years now. Just a flight of steps really and you are there.

Patriots7

Roommate would help but even then it'd be pushing it.
I'm around 1600 around Armitage but I've got a really good deal on my place.

OctoMan

Banned
My current 3 bed is $2300 at racine and Diversey. Massive, awesome place. But my two roomates are moving out because they're stupid. Living alone is going to get expensive.

I pay 1500 for a one bedroom condo on Franklin and Van Buren. It was awesome when I worked at the Sears Tower because my commute was literally one block. I changed jobs so my commute has now tripled. :(

joelseph

A buddy of mine found a place for 1200 bedroom, kitchen and living room.

I rent a 1 bed 1.5 bath, in unit washer and dryer and dishwasher, stand alone coach house (no shared walls) blocks from Western Blueline for 1300. No neighbors, no shared walls is where it is at.

Kal_El

To all my Chicago Cubs fans is this the most excited you've been about the team in awhile? We need to do a Gaf Meet-up at Wrigley. I'm in Kankakee about 35 minutes south.

Viewt

Saw this on the Chicago subreddit. Apparently these are popping up on the north side. Anybody actually seen one?

y2IE8IG.jpg

Not really sure if it's meant to be satire or just a gross joke about homeless people.

Saw this on the Chicago subreddit. Apparently these are popping up on the north side. Anybody actually seen one?

y2IE8IG.jpg

Not really sure if it's meant to be satire or just a gross joke about homeless people.

Not surprised people on the north side would lack common decency towards their fellow man.

Sai-kun

Banned
Yep, no need, just like they had no need to generalize anyone who came out of Cabrini Green, yet I heard it all the damn time growing up from northsiders. Hell, people all day every day generalize the south and west side regularly, but you know, dish but can't take I guess.

who here is dishing and generalizing aside from you?

Viewt

As an aside, I've seen some articles posted up in the last couple hours, and the signs have mostly been spotted in Wicker Park and Bucktown, which are technically West Side neighborhoods.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter where they went up. It's the cruel and cold attitude towards people who are largely ignored by society that needs to be called out.

Top Bottom