• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Chris R

I'm glad the weather has been nice the few days I've been here. Granted it looks like everyone else is freezing but its just right for me.

It would have been cool to see the finalized Navy Pier but even with all the construction going on it was a nice walk and view.

Pretty good food too so far, might go to a steakhouse tomorrow for dinner since I had deep dish tonight.

Also, does someone know why everything has revolving doors? At least in the area north of the river that I've walked around.

Apath

Going to meet a friend for some dim sum tomorrow in China town. What are the best places serving dim sum? Plan on getting there around 10am.

Going to meet a friend for some dim sum tomorrow in China town. What are the best places serving dim sum? Plan on getting there around 10am.

Shui Wah used to be my favorite but they closed like 5 years ago. Nowadays, Cai is probably one of the best ones. Minghin's good too. Mayflower and Triple Crown are in the old part of Chinatown but are still decent. None of those are carts, but that's better since it just comes out to you as fresh as possible.

Talon

Minghin is my go-to.

Also, Lao Szechuan continues to be the bomb. The sole in black bean sauce is so good.

Apath

Shui Wah used to be my favorite but they closed like 5 years ago. Nowadays, Cai is probably one of the best ones. Minghin's good too. Mayflower and Triple Crown are in the old part of Chinatown but are still decent. None of those are carts, but that's better since it just comes out to you as fresh as possible.

Minghin is my go-to.

Also, Lao Szechuan continues to be the bomb. The sole in black bean sauce is so good.
Went with Triple Crown, as it was the first I saw after getting off the train. Have to say it was very good. Ordered a ton of stuff and only spent $30 between two people. I'll be sure to check out Minghin or Lao Szechuan next time.

Thanks for the replies. Felt good to not blindly stumble about, hoping I happen to come across a decent place.

Viewt

So did anybody else check out the 606 this weekend?

SxlBcPt.jpg

It was a ton of fun. Me, my girlfriend and a couple friends walked the stretch from California down to Damen and back - we would have gone further, but we were walking with a dog, and she was starting to get really hot (luckily we brought along one of those fold-up dog bowls to keep her hydrated). Which brings me to a couple things they need to fix:

- First, they need to get a little more sun coverage on the trail. The temperature was actually really nice, but without a cloud in the sky, that direct sunlight got pretty hot after about a mile They're obviously still finishing it from a construction standpoint, so I'm not too worried. Also, they've only recently planted trees, so there isn't much natural shade yet. In a year, this won't be a concern.
- Secondly, they should either mark off a separate lane for cyclists or have signage telling people to slow the fuck down. This might sort itself out as attendance levels out, but I saw a shitton of idiots on bikes who had no respect for the hundreds of people walking around, many of which were small children. No lie, I saw some bitch do an "on your left" while weaving through two 5-year olds. Fuck those people.

As an aside, not ALL cyclists on there were behaving that way. A lot of them simply walked their bikes through the thicker crowds and kept a slower pace for the rest of the track.

But even with the aforementioned (which are really very minor petpeeves), it was still really great, and I can't recommend it enough. I saw people of every race, age and social standing walking around, talking to each other, and enjoying something for free in a community far from downtown. We need more of that in Chicago.

Denzel

I live in south west suburbs (Aurora-Naperville area). Bout to go to North Ave on Wednesday and be reminded why Chicago is the best city in the world.

Sai-kun

Banned
Pride went the fuck off today! One of the best years to my memory! The second annual alley party on Halsted/Aldine was fun too :)

Viewt

Pride was a ton of fun until I sobered up, my feet started killing me from standing for 5+ hours and I realized I was standing in spilled slushy booze (I hope!). Oh, also, some dude rubbed my chest hair for good luck and when he realized I was there with my girlfriend said, "*Sigh* Another bear lost to the world," which we got a great laugh out of.

argh stupid fucking neighbors.

i was wondering if anyone knew anything off the top of there head about alley parking spot rules.

One of two alley parking spots in the back of my building belongs to me. There is a gate between the spot and alley. There is a community lock on that gate. One of the other tenants continually parks in that spot. We do not have a towing sign up. I also have two smallish planters to grow veggies on the side of my spot. The tenant moved and damaged my plants and planter to park in space that wasn't his. After he left. I locked the gate with a personal lock.
This morning i was greeted by passive aggressive note that its not my building, I cant make the back spot into a yard and using a personal lock is endangerment and he will call the cops if i do it again.
Is locking the gate with a personal lock illegal?

argh stupid fucking neighbors.

i was wondering if anyone knew anything off the top of there head about alley parking spot rules.

One of two alley parking spots in the back of my building belongs to me. There is a gate between the spot and alley. There is a community lock on that gate. One of the other tenants continually parks in that spot. We do not have a towing sign up. I also have two smallish planters to grow veggies on the side of my spot. The tenant moved and damaged my plants and planter to park in space that wasn't his. After he left. I locked the gate with a personal lock.
This morning i was greeted by passive aggressive note that its not my building, I cant make the back spot into a yard and using a personal lock is endangerment and he will call the cops if i do it again.
Is locking the gate with a personal lock illegal?

Jesus Christ, skip that aspect and talk to the person. If the spot is yours (by lease or whatever) get the landlord involved.

yeah i had talked to the land lord early on in the week and he said he told the person not to park there and then he did and moved my plants. grumble. So he knows he shouldnt but is still an ass about it.

Viewt

yeah i had talked to the land lord early on in the week and he said he told the person not to park there and then he did and moved my plants. grumble. So he knows he shouldnt but is still an ass about it.

Have you tried talking to the guy about it yet? It might just be a case where a face-to-face talk will get him to stop being an asshole.

If he's still unreasonable, talk to your alderman about getting a sign put in there. Then you can just get the guy's car towed the next time he does it.

Have you tried talking to the guy about it yet? It might just be a case where a face-to-face talk will get him to stop being an asshole.

If he's still unreasonable, talk to your alderman about getting a sign put in there. Then you can just get the guy's car towed the next time he does it.

I talk to him when i see him and the guy is an asshole. He even tried to tell me my dog couldn't go to the bathroom on the little lawn part in front of the building. He tried to sell broken furniture when i moved in and got a hand written letter notarized to try and stipulate i couldn't wash any clothes with dog hair on them in the buildings washer and dryer because he allegedly got hair on his baby clothes.

He also stole and returned my christmas tree from the community storage because "someone" ( he didnt want to name names) said they were moving and didnt need it and sold it to him, so he sold it to some other guy and then got it back after i asked everyone in the building (5 units) if they had seen it. The box hand made ornaments with my dog on them in them he had to of known it was mine

So yeah talking doesnt help.

Viewt

I talk to him when i see him and the guy is an asshole. He even tried to tell me my dog couldn't go to the bathroom on the little lawn part in front of the building. He tried to sell broken furniture when i moved in and got a hand written letter notarized to try and stipulate i couldn't wash any clothes with dog hair on them in the buildings washer and dryer because he allegedly got hair on his baby clothes.

He also stole and returned my christmas tree from the community storage because "someone" ( he didnt want to name names) said they were moving and didnt need it and sold it to him, so he sold it to some other guy and then got it back after i asked everyone in the building (5 units) if they had seen it. The box hand made ornaments with my dog on them in them he had to of known it was mine

So yeah talking doesnt help.

Ew, yeah, that dude sucks.

Get the sign, man. Then take beautiful joy when he has to deal with the only people in Chicago who are worse than him - tow truck drivers.

Also, you are presumably paying for the spot, yes? Tell the landlord that you will be withholding that if he doesn't take care of it.

I think the sign ought to do it. Would that require the alderman, or just the landlord?

Ew, yeah, that dude sucks.

Get the sign, man. Then take beautiful joy when he has to deal with the only people in Chicago who are worse than him - tow truck drivers.

Hopefully a sign will be around there in the future.

How was everyones 4th? I ended up on the 606 and it was amazing. Since everyone and their grandma seems to have mortars in humboldt park/wicker park.

also this weather sucks.

joelseph

Ate at HomeStead above Roots last night. It could just be me being over the whole farm-to-table-small-plate-family-style nonsense but it wasn't anything awesome. Was looking forward to the muscles and they were just okay. Drinks were decent.

Sai-kun

Banned
Get a sign dude, it's probably the only thing that will help.

Also fuck this weather. I'm excited for Mamby on the Beach this weekend but not for the shit weather we'll have during it :/

Viewt

Should have tried to take some pictures of that heat lightning last night. Looked very cool.

Yeah, man, that was totally bizarre.

This 90s bullshit can fuck off and die. My girlfriend and I went walking on the Bloomingdale Trail yesterday and felt like we were walking on the surface of the sun. Doesn't help that there's really not very much shade up there yet. Really looking forward to the more mild weather we're getting later this week.

Sai-kun

Banned
Watching Florence + the Machine with lightning behind us in the crowd was unreal. I got some good video I'll have to post here when I upload it later 😍 Still upset that her set got cut short by a half hour though!

Viewt

I'm going up to Chicago for a week and just wanted know some good places for deep-dish pizza and Chinese? I'll be staying in Old Town.

Thanks.

I'll echo Pequod's. It's really the only place I'll go for deep dish. As for Chinese, I haven't been to Chi Cafe, but I'm a big fan of Ming Hin, especially if you're going for late night dim sum.

Talon

Pequod's is the best deep dish in the city. Bar none. It's near Clybourn and Greenview in Lincoln Park. Out of the local chains, Pizano's is the best and then Lou Malnati's, IMO.

The best chinese is (obviously) going to be in Chinatown. Take the red line down south to Chinatown. That said, since you're in Old Town, you can go north to Edgewater for Sun Wah BBQ.

Edgewater | Peking Duck: Sun Wah BBQ (Call ahead for a full duck dinner, they give you Peking Duck with those deliciously soft buns then either Duck Fried Rice/Duck Stir Fry Noodles and then Duck soup.

Chinatown |

Dim Sum: Minghin
Shared Entrees: Lao Szechuan (Three Pepper Chicken! Black Bean Sole Fillet!)

reKon

Banned
still think gino's east deep is the best out of the chains. I honestly think it's a popularity thing because Lou's Malnati's and Giordano's just have more locations and a lot of people I know either haven't tried it or don't even know what it is. I've only been to the one on Superior St off of Mich Ave

haven't tried the deep dish at pequod's... only did that caramelized cheese pizza

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Just got back from a weekend there. I really sincerely love the city. I'm an NYC guy through and through but Chicago has a lot of charm to it.

Went for a friend's birthday party. We stayed in River North, headed to Pequod's Friday night, the wait was crazy. The wings were really good but the pizza.... I can see the appeal but it's just not my style. We ended up going to a "speakeasy", Double A, which is downstairs from the restaurant Mercadito. Good time had by all.

Did a crime and speakeasy tour, which was good and bad. I love history so it was cool to learn more about the city but it was cheesy. That day my friend and I went to West Loop and ate at Haymarket. Wasn't a huge fan. We went to a cigar lounge near there then walked all the way back to River North, which was cool.

We went to the Untitled Super Club last night, what a nice place. Very impressed. My bill was astronomical but other than that it was a terrific time.

You guys got a cool city out there.

reKon

Banned
Air and water show yesterday for me was pretty cool. Shame what happened with two of the parachuters. I hope that one dude makes it =/

Viewt

Anybody else feel like it might be time for a new OT? And also one in regular Off Topic, not in Community? Just seems like it'd be more active that way, and it's not like other city OTs haven't done the same (NYC, Philly, etc). What do you guys think?

reKon

Banned
yes, we need one because this one is inactive as fuck, lol..

OP should also have a visitor section, which lists various things to do and all the ideal food spots/restaurants

Viewt

Cool, I'll start putting together lists. I'm awful at Photoshop, though, so if anyone wants to come up with something, lemme know. Otherwise I'll probably just pull in a nice skyline photo for the header.

Top Bottom