• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

joelseph

Was out traveling over the holiday, stopped overnight on Christmas eve to my Comcast service being out. Came back home last night and it's still out. This weather is not going to help the situation.

Charcoal

Hey Chicago-gaf, I was hoping for some assistance. I'm a non-tradtional student at ISU in Bloomington, and I plan to be moving to/working in Chicago once I graduate.

I've visited maybe 10 times or so, but I don't really know the layout. If I'm making $80-100K per year, what are my best options as far as buying a home or renting an apartment?

joelseph

Hey Chicago-gaf, I was hoping for some assistance. I'm a non-tradtional student at ISU in Bloomington, and I plan to be moving to/working in Chicago once I graduate.

I've visited maybe 10 times or so, but I don't really know the layout. If I'm making $80-100K per year, what are my best options as far as buying a home or renting an apartment?

You can rent anywhere on that salary. The average rate for a good 1 bedroom near trains is between 900-1600 depending on where you are. West side you are looking at 1300-1600 a month. Commute is under an hour. (I pay 1350 for a 1 bed 2 bath, commute is 20 minutes)

Owning depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking to own something where you aren't paying monthly fees on top of your mortgage you might have to go out towards the "bungalow belt" on the edges of the city. Commute is an hour plus.

Okay, I admit the whole being hit in the face with ice pellets while walking thing fucking sucks.

So does the massive puddles of surprise water under ice on each street corner -____-

joelseph

Okay, I admit the whole being hit in the face with ice pellets while walking thing fucking sucks.

So does the massive puddles of surprise water under ice on each street corner -____-

Boots! Everyone should own a brown pair of boots and a black pair of boots! Kind of fun to go stomping through the deep pools safe in the knowledge of your feets new water-proofness!

ToD_

Boots are definitely key with this weather. Still, the surfaces can be slippery even with boots, and I'm always concerned I'll fall and break something. A coworker slipped last year and broke his leg in three places.

I sometimes see someone passing me up, and this person is walking as if everything is dandy... seemingly not affected by the ice at all. This is while I'm slowly walking and trying not to slip. It makes me wonder if there's some trick I'm missing. I guess I just suck at walking on ice.

Yup definitely boots. I still gotta get a black paid. What brand do you guys like? I'm using Timberlands right now.

Haha I remember the first time I got cocky with boots thinking I wouldn't slip. I walked on that ice like I owned the block and fell flat on my ass right away.

Boots! Everyone should own a brown pair of boots and a black pair of boots! Kind of fun to go stomping through the deep pools safe in the knowledge of your feets new water-proofness!

I have boots and they're waterproof but its a pain in the ass when the puddles around my neighborhood are like little ponds everywhere -____-

Tonight is going to be 17 degrees. Fuuuuuuck.

850x478

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/redeye-igloo-pops-up-in-downtown-chicago-20160106-story.html

reKon

Banned
what happened to that mega thread that was being created, which was supposed to have all the recommendations of what to eat and where to go in Chicago?

Is anyone here going to C2E2?

I'll be going Saturday with Delio, Kisaya and Sai-kun. Going to dress up as Star Lord as well! This will be my 3rd year going and I always have a great time. Would totally be up for meeting up with some other Gaffers.

Dany

Banned

I'll be going Saturday with Delio, Kisaya and Sai-kun. Going to dress up as Star Lord as well! This will be my 3rd year going and I always have a great time. Would totally be up for meeting up with some other Gaffers.
Ooh have fun!!

My offer was just confirmed for Chicago on Thursday and I haven't had much time to look into it yet. I will be working in The Loop so somewhere convenient in relation to that. I have a decent budget and should have time next month to look at places.

Sweet.

The Loop is convenient to basically everywhere, as the city's roads and public transit are a spoke-and-hub arrangement. I'll be happy to convince you that my area (Andersonville) is Da Best.

joelseph

Keep your eyes open for old gaffer ChiTownBuffalo, you may find him bouncing the Sugar Gamers booth if they are still around.

Is there any hope of getting in and out of town quick on the day of the parade this weekend?

I just wanted to go to Chinatown and get some dim sum but this is making those prospects look not so great.

bpfd

I was there a few weekends ago for a weekend getaway and really enjoyed it. Gained 7 pounds that weekend but it was so worth it. It really is a great city and also very accessible with great public transportation. I'm from a small town of 1500 and it was not intimidating at all, and people were very friendly. Mid western cities are the best cities.

Viewt

How is Logan square btw? Heard its a cool place

I live in Logan and it's great! It's also actually kind of a big area, so you can find a few different flavors, depending on what you prefer. There most dense part is the immediate area around the literal Logan Square, but there's also a big stretch on Milwaukee Ave, and the strip on Armitage Ave is starting to develop quite nicely, too. I actually live on the southeast corner (like a block away from the Logan Square/Humboldt Park border), and I love it. Easy access to Humboldt Park (both the neighborhood and literal park), not far from the California Blue Line, and it's a little more low key and affordable.

I don't quite fit in with the hipster elite of the central part of the neighborhood, but I couldn't be happier with the surrounding scenery, great restaurants, awesome bars, and just the general vibe. This is a great place to live.

Yeah, this is totally my fault, sorry! :( I've been meaning to do that since like September, and I've got a giant document, but I just haven't completed the full list, and I keep getting sidetracked.

I'd be happy to give what I have to anyone who'd like to do it immediately, but otherwise, I"m gonna try to get it up within the next couple months.

Hi Chicago-GAF. Looks like I'm moving here this summer.

Welcome! Since you mentioned in your other post that your job is in the Loop, just be aware that you have a LOT of flexibility in terms of neighborhoods. The Spoke and Wheel system means that any rail line will always have a Loop-bound route. I *would* always recommend that you live out farther than the immediate areas around the Loop (River North, South Loop, West Loop, etc). Those areas all have great things going for it, but I've found that people who live that close to the Loop rarely get too far out, beyond trips on the Red Line to Lakeview.

Explore the awesome West, South, and further North sides. Chicago is a city of super-diverse neighborhoods, so keep your options open and find the right area for your likes and needs.

I was there a few weekends ago for a weekend getaway and really enjoyed it. Gained 7 pounds that weekend but it was so worth it. It really is a great city and also very accessible with great public transportation. I'm from a small town of 1500 and it was not intimidating at all, and people were very friendly. Mid western cities are the best cities.

Chicago is, without a doubt, the most immediately comfortable large city that I've ever lived in/visited. When I first came here on a week-long vacation, it barely took a day for me to feel at home. I've also found it to be the easiest town to make spontaneous friends in. People just generally want to talk to each other here. Sometimes too much haha.

Zyzyxxz

I will be in town for a convention in May!

I havent been back in years. Last two visits I had the fortune to eat at Hot Doug's before they closed. Now whats my next best option? Also my friends want to get an italian beef sandwich, I've been to Johnnie's but is there anywhere else I should take em?

Also planning on hitting up:
Girl and Goat (I have my reservation but its 4:30 LOL)
XOCO (been before but I love their tortas)
Publican

Some places I've been before:
GT Fish & Oyster
Little Goat
Johnnie's Beef

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm open, I don't really care for high end fine dining much anymore but unless NEXT magically has tickets available then maybe.

I'm going all 3 days! I'll be dressed as Asuka Langley on Friday, Tifa on Saturday, and myself on Sunday. I'll be apart of a podcast covering the convention and it's events so it would be cool to run into all kinds of types.

Top Bottom