• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Lincoln Square is great. We got a huge place for a reasonable cost. If you don't want something huge, you can probably find something pretty cheap. We're on the brown line too so it's not that bad of a commute.

I live off the blue and its expensive as hell ($1050/mo for a studio) but its worth it considering it runs 24 hours + is close to all my favorite bars, restaurants, and shopping stuff.

As someone who's flown out of O'Hare twice in the past month, living near the blue line is also worth considering for ease of access to the airport.

I don't think anyone asked me for a copy of my ID. That seems a bit weird to me.

When I went, I emailed people on sites like padmapper and ended up finding a broker that drove me around to all of the apartments I was interested in. That's apparently unusual but from what I've heard Chicago has pretty good rental laws so they probably aren't going to outright scam you unless you're an easy mark.

It's... on the last of our list of areas. The main reason we'd consider the suburbs is if my partners gets a job out there. Makes more sense (we think) to live near that job in the suburbs and for me to commute to Chicago than to have to commute out of the city for work in the suburbs.

That actually does make sense. I'm a fan on living in the city, Even when older.

I had dinner at my boss' house with all my co-workers a couple nights ago in Naperville. Half of the conversations revolved around school districts. I guess when the city government is openly hostile to public education and the suburbs have pretty good schools it makes sense to a lot of people to move out of the city.

joelseph

I would never not live off the blue. Best train IMO! I did move up to Old Irving Park recently, the 606 is driving Bucktown prices too high for me.

Pretty much into fun, not super touristy stuff. Bars and local shops; cheap eats and thrifting.

I'll just list some of my favorite spots then for food + drinks + random shopping :>

Furious Spoon (best ramen + drinks, wednesday's are $1 beer)

26844703894_4fc58cb231_k.0.jpg

redeye-furious-spoon-ramen-chicago-20150305

Logan Theater (100+ year old theater, $7 movies, + bar inside)

Intelligentsia Coffee (best coffee in the city, started in chicago)

Rotofugi (collectable vinyl toys and art gallery)

Izakaya (Japanese style, underground bar, underneath an incredible sushi restaurant called Momotaro)

Sawada Coffee (Owned and created by one of Japan's greatest latte artist named Hiroshi Sawada - also home to the famous "Military Latte" = ground matcha, milk, espresso)

Antique Taco (cheap delicious tacos !)

Lost Lake (incredible tiki bar, named best bar of the year in the US for 2015 by Imbibe magazine)

Firecakes (BEST DONUTS EVER)

Lincoln Park Zoo (Completely free!)

Viewt

I would never not live off the blue. Best train IMO! I did move up to Old Irving Park recently, the 606 is driving Bucktown prices too high for me.

Ah, no way! I remember you talking about how much you loved that spot you were at. Did your landlord jack the price up on you?

The Blue Line really is a godsend in a lot of ways. Easy access to the airport (though how helpful that is obviously depends on how often you fly), 24-hour access, tons of great destinations within walking distance, and not NEARLY the same amount of bullshit you get on the Red Line (in my experience anyway). Every third or fourth time you're on the Red, you're gonna see a masturbator or a loud rambler or whatever, even during commute hours. The Blue's definitely got its fair share of piss trains, but it's at a much less frequent rate.

InfiniteBento's list is great! I'll just say that Firecakes is mad overrated, though. Doughnut Vault for life! :p

dawgparty

Hey everybody. Just moved to the Uptown/Lakeview(right by Sheridan stop) area a few weeks ago. Any suggestions for fun stuff to get into? Desperately need some friends with similar interests. Role-playing games, video games(doi), queer stuff, let me know!

gamz

I'll just list some of my favorite spots then for food + drinks + random shopping :>

Furious Spoon (best ramen + drinks, wednesday's are $1 beer)

Logan Theater (100+ year old theater, $7 movies, + bar inside)

Intelligentsia Coffee (best coffee in the city, started in chicago)

Rotofugi (collectable vinyl toys and art gallery)

Izakaya (Japanese style, underground bar, underneath an incredible sushi restaurant called Momotaro)

Sawada Coffee (Owned and created by one of Japan's greatest latte artist named Hiroshi Sawada - also home to the famous "Military Latte" = ground matcha, milk, espresso)

Antique Taco (cheap delicious tacos !)

Lost Lake (incredible tiki bar, named best bar of the year in the US for 2015 by Imbibe magazine)

Firecakes (BEST DONUTS EVER)

Lincoln Park Zoo (Completely free!)

I have to check out that Ramen place. Looks delicious!

Firecakes is the best.

Logan Square is where I saw Blair Witch Project. Awesome experience.

Never been to Lincoln Park Zoo because I hate Zoo's. Depressing...

Kisaya

Hey everybody. Just moved to the Uptown/Lakeview(right by Sheridan stop) area a few weeks ago. Any suggestions for fun stuff to get into? Desperately need some friends with similar interests. Role-playing games, video games(doi), queer stuff, let me know!

Andersonville north of you is really great for queer stuff. Me and my boyfriend just moved up there and find it a lot more inclusive than Boystown, where we used to live. Go to Big Chicks! Awesome dance club and also a brunch spot :)

I've been to Big Chicks once and loved it. My wife was singing there.

Also, for your geek needs, Dice Dojo off the Bryn Mawr stop, on Broadway, should be a good vector. Huge social gaming area. Also near Andersonville (where I also live) which has a ton going on.

joelseph

Ah, no way! I remember you talking about how much you loved that spot you were at. Did your landlord jack the price up on you?

Raised the rent 550 on us. Can you believe that shit? Went from 1350 to 1900. Found a really nice 2 bedroom coach in Old IP that is so much bigger. The one thing that takes some getting used to is lack of food options.

Viewt

Raised the rent 550 on us. Can you believe that shit? Went from 1350 to 1900. Found a really nice 2 bedroom coach in Old IP that is so much bigger. The one thing that takes some getting used to is lack of food options.

550?! That's some bullshit, man, fuck. I was actually really worried about my most recent lease agreement being insane (we renewed in June), but it barely went up at all. I think the trick to surviving Chicago rental rates is to find a landlord like mine that inherited the property and is only interested in breaking even and not having problems. $1200/month for south Logan Square a block from the 606 and ~10 minutes walking to the California stop is sounding like more and more like something I made up rather than a real thing haha.

It's no Bucktown, but you still have some solid options up there for food. If you haven't already, check out Fishguy Market for dope sea food (also a good market for getting your own stuff). Finch's Brewery is near you, though I don't think they have a tap room yet. Oh, and dude, you're not that far from Chicago Kalbi. It's not the most authentic KBBQ (it has a distinct Japanese influence), but the food itself is incredible.

We're now choosing between a apartments in Logan Square and Lakeview. Both seem like nice units (clean, good size, fits our budget) in relatively safe areas. We're a bit more concerned with Logan Square in terms of safety, but the units we're looking at are more to the east/north side of LS, closer to I-90 and Bucktown.

I've lived in Logan Square for almost 2 years and nothing has ever happened here.

There is the occasional hobo wandering aimlessly but in terms of anything else, it's been safe. Most places are also open late here so there are always people out and about.

Viewt

We're now choosing between a apartments in Logan Square and Lakeview. Both seem like nice units (clean, good size, fits our budget) in relatively safe areas. We're a bit more concerned with Logan Square in terms of safety, but the units we're looking at are more to the east/north side of LS, closer to I-90 and Bucktown.

I live in Logan, and in the 3.5 years I've been in this apartment, I've never had a problem. Believe it or not, some of the diciest situations I've ever been in were in Lakeview.

I'm pretty sure I know the exact area you're talking about (lemme guess - near Armitage & Damen?), and I think you'd feel very safe. And plus, if you'd be where I think you would be, you're like a five minute walk from Mindy's Hot Chocolate, which has a pretty strong brunch.
Pretty good hot chocolate, too. Cookies are a'ight, but overpriced.

you have get all the way to cali or kedzie and damen and armitage for it get dicey in logan.

IMO anyway. I just stay away from the park after dark. no pokemons for me unless im driving.

dawgparty

Andersonville north of you is really great for queer stuff. Me and my boyfriend just moved up there and find it a lot more inclusive than Boystown, where we used to live. Go to Big Chicks! Awesome dance club and also a brunch spot :)

Hey thanks! I do love Big Chicks but that's about the entirety of my experience in Andersonville.

Also, nice meeting you on Saturday! :D

Kisaya

Hey thanks! I do love Big Chicks but that's about the entirety of my experience in Andersonville.

Also, nice meeting you on Saturday! :D

Oh omg it's you!!! 😂😂😂❤️

Just come to our place one day we'll all do some exploring together :>

I've decided that there's a grand conspiracy to hype up bad news about Chicago to keep wealthy young white people away and limit gentrification.

Charcoal

So I've been looking at jobs based out of O'Hare. What are the neighborhoods I should be looking at as far as price, distance, ease of commute, etc?

So I've been looking at jobs based out of O'Hare. What are the neighborhoods I should be looking at as far as price, distance, ease of commute, etc?

O'Hare is a pain in the ass to get to where I live but if you live near the blue line you should be good.

Jokes on you, people have broken into our home and car multiple times when I lived away from Chicago. Had people shot to death two blocks from my house even. This white guy is about to gentrify the shit out of Chicago.

Way ahead of you :)

Where I lived and grew up near Seattle was way worse than anything I've encountered here. I've only been here for a month and a half though so what do I know. Maybe there's a warzone around the corner. I'm definitely looking forward to cooler weather at this point. I can't handle this humidity.

anyone going to the river north pokemon bar crawl this weekend?

I lost my shit at the wicker park one and ended up going home with a super cute girl and caught a shit ton of pokemon. good times.

Top Bottom