• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Kisaya

I'm looking forward to seeing my Battlestar mom & dad together at C2E2 :)

Btw autograph/photo ops are expensive as well wtf. Lucky SOB Sai-kun is gonna get a picture cause I could only afford one of us and he's the bigger Battlestar fan
KuGsj.gif

Viewt

I will be in town for a convention in May!

I havent been back in years. Last two visits I had the fortune to eat at Hot Doug's before they closed. Now whats my next best option? Also my friends want to get an italian beef sandwich, I've been to Johnnie's but is there anywhere else I should take em?

Also planning on hitting up:
Girl and Goat (I have my reservation but its 4:30 LOL)
XOCO (been before but I love their tortas)
Publican

Some places I've been before:
GT Fish & Oyster
Little Goat
Johnnie's Beef

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm open, I don't really care for high end fine dining much anymore but unless NEXT magically has tickets available then maybe.

For hot dogs, you can always go to Hot G Dog, which was started by guys from Hot Doug's and has a similar menu.

Girl and the Goat is great! My girlfriend and I were just there for our anniversary and had a great time trying a bunch of stuff - my favorites were probably the goat empanadas, the pig face, and the goatmilk cheesecake. XOCO is also rad - I work a block away from their River North location so I smell it constantly from people bringing it back to the office.

Here's a snapshot of some of my favorite restaurants:
- Bang Bang! Pie and Biscuits: Logan Square biscuit and pie place (duh). Save yourself some time and DON'T go for weekend breakfast/brunch. Go during a weekday morning, or any day for late lunch and you won't have to brave the crowds.
- Belly Shack: Dope Korean/Puerto Rican fusion place. Get those togarashi fries, for sure!
- Parson's Fish & Chicken: Fried fish and chicken joint with great signature mixed drinks. If you like gin, DEFINITELY get the negroni slushie. I personally prefer the two-piece hot chicken, but I've never met a single person who doesn't like their chicken sandwich. It's heavenly.
- MingHin Cuisine: Check out this reliable Chinatown gem for some late-night dim sum.
- Fatso's Last Stand: Formerly Phil's Last Stand, this is the burger place for folks who don't want to eat a 10-foot behemoth at Kuma's or Lockdown, and don't want to wait forever to eat at Au Cheval (still worth it). There are no frills to be had here, but they do have great burgers and hot dogs.
- Hopleaf: If you're into beer, Hopleaf is always worth the trip to Andersonville, since they've got 80+ taps and 400+ bottled options. They've also got amazing Belgian-style mussels and the best fries I've had in the city.
- Bartoli's Pizza: It rarely makes any best-of lists, but this is a great low-key place to get tavern-style pies (cracker-thin crust, thick gooey cheese, and a nice savory sauce that won't overpower the other flavors).

If there are any specific kinds of cuisine that you're looking for, I'd be happy to give out some more recs.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm open, I don't really care for high end fine dining much anymore but unless NEXT magically has tickets available then maybe.

I'm overseas and will have more answers to your questions next week (since I'm typing this on my phone) but Next is nowhere near as hard to get into as it was 3 years ago. Check their website for tickets or worst case scenario, look on their Facebook page for people looking to trade/sell.

RBH

Hi guys, I'll be working in Olympia Fields starting this summer, and I was hoping to get some advice on places to live.

I've lived in Atlanta for almost my whole life, so it's going to be an interesting adjustment for me to say the least haha.

Right now, I'm thinking that I would prefer to live closer to work since I'm not a big fan of long daily commutes (I got tired of that in Atlanta), so I've been looking at apartments that are about 15-20 minutes away from Olympia Fields. Some places that I've been looking at include Tinley Park and Orland Park.

I was just wondering if you guys had any advice on particular areas to look at. At the same time, I still want to consider all of my options, so I'm also open to any suggestions in the south Chicago area (even if it does mean that my daily commute is 35-40 minutes instead of 15 minutes). I'm still very new to the Chicago area in general, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Viewt

Hi guys, I'll be working in Olympia Fields starting this summer, and I was hoping to get some advice on places to live.

I've lived in Atlanta for almost my whole life, so it's going to be an interesting adjustment for me to say the least haha.

Right now, I'm thinking that I would prefer to live closer to work since I'm not a big fan of long daily commutes (I got tired of that in Atlanta), so I've been looking at apartments that are about 15-20 minutes away from Olympia Fields. Some places that I've been looking at include Tinley Park and Orland Park.

I was just wondering if you guys had any advice on particular areas to look at. At the same time, I still want to consider all of my options, so I'm also open to any suggestions in the south Chicago area (even if it does mean that my daily commute is 35-40 minutes instead of 15 minutes). I'm still very new to the Chicago area in general, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Some of my girlfriend's friends live in Tinley Park. It's fine - it's not terribly different than your average Atlanta suburb.

If you wanted to take public transit there, you'd be taking the Metra Electric line. It starts all the way up in the Loop and goes down from there, so anything along that track would be easy (though if you were starting in the Loop, it'd take you about an hour to get there).

It sounds like the suburbs are your best bet if you want a short commute. If you can find something close to the ME line anyway, though, I'd recommend it - at least then, you'd have easy access into the city without a car.

rickyson1

was just up in Chicago for the week and had a great time other than at the Lou Malnati's on S State St

the food was fine but i'm convinced that they'll steal your things if given a chance,ate there,paid and left forgetting a kindle on the table,came back less than 2 minutes later looking for it and they claimed they hadn't seen it despite being at my table to collect my bill within the very short amount of time between me leaving and returning

anyways i'd either go to a different restaurant or at least a different location

was just up in Chicago for the week and had a great time other than at the Lou Malnati's on S State St

the food was fine but i'm convinced that they'll steal your things if given a chance,ate there,paid and left forgetting a kindle on the table,came back less than 2 minutes later looking for it and they claimed they hadn't seen it despite being at my table to collect my bill within the very short amount of time between me leaving and returning

anyways i'd either go to a different restaurant or at least a different location

Their pizza is garbage. Shoulda gone to Pequod's cause its 1000x better than Lou's.

Their pizza is garbage. Shoulda gone to Pequod's cause its 1000x better than Lou's.

LOL garbage.
Pequods is always heralded as this amazing pie that will change your iife up until you have it and realize it's completely overhyped. I'd take a lous with butter crust any day over it but it's cool to hate on chains in the city.

rickyson1

I did a little research on different places and was scared off of Pequod's to be honest,opinions on it seemed fairly mixed with quite a few searing by it but also quite a few complaining about it being like 90% bread

Kisaya

LOL garbage.
Pequods is always heralded as this amazing pie that will change your iife up until you have it and realize it's completely overhyped. I'd take a lous with butter crust any day over it but it's cool to hate on chains in the city.

"Buttery" crust is soggy as hell and isn't even as flavorful as it should be. The rest of the pizza didn't make up for that and was just super depressing. Pequods hasn't changed my life but at least I don't hate myself eating it like I do at Lou's.

gamz

LOL garbage.

Nah the hype is real peaqouds is awesome.

One week until my move. I will have two weeks to explore the city before I start my job. Anyone know a good pizza delivery place near Lincoln Square?

ToD_

One week until my move. I will have two weeks to explore the city before I start my job. Anyone know a good pizza delivery place near Lincoln Square?

Congrats. Great area. We'll practically be neighbors.

I'm afraid I'm not the best at pizza recommendations since I haven't ordered pizza in years. My girlfriend's passion in life is cooking, so she's always in the kitchen and takeout happens rarely. People tend to rave about Pequods, however, which isn't near Lincoln Square but they may deliver up there.

What's Chicago-GAF up to for the 4th of July weekend?

Viewt

Welcome to Chicago! Pequod's isn't right around the corner from you, but it's decently close and great for deep dish. There's also Bartoli's south of you, which has some great thin crust tavern-style pizza, if that's more your thing.

Also, check out SongDo for some cheap-as-hell Korean BBQ - all you can eat for like ~$20, plus it's BYOB! Also, since you're near Ravenswood, check out the new location for Bang Bang Pie & Biscuits.

Dany

Banned
Will loyola beach be a good place to see fireworks? I thought edgewater had fireworks for the 4th but I guess not.

Talon

Will loyola beach be a good place to see fireworks? I thought edgewater had fireworks for the 4th but I guess not.
Dude, if you're in Edgewater, you'll have a better time going up to Evanston for their fireworks show. You can sit on the lakefill and just look straight up - it's great!

joelseph

I highly recommend the Chicago Pizza Tour for everyone. Townies and tourists. Funny staff selects 4 pizza joints and you pile onto a bus and visit each. Along the way you enjoy drinks and a couple pies at each location.

joelseph

You will be in the heart of 4 billion delivery options for every type of food under the sun. It can be quite the drain on a persons wallet let me tell you! I'm a grubhub addict.

Viewt

You will be in the heart of 4 billion delivery options for every type of food under the sun. It can be quite the drain on a persons wallet let me tell you! I'm a grubhub addict.

No joke, I had to delete Caviar off my phone for a while. It was becoming a liability haha.

Having that kinda of variety and quality at your fingertips... you start being willing to pay any price...

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to a change in environment.

I think I'll be okay when it comes to not eating out too much. We love cooking and try to limit eating out to no more than once a week. We'll probably eat out a lot at first though so who knows...

I'll be sure to check out your suggestions though. I did get a chance to check out Pequods when I was looking for a place. It's probably best that I'm outside of their delivery radius.

I've now had Pequod's, Giordano's, and Lou Malnati's.

Pequod's is great. I like the thick, caramelized crust. Everything about it is good. The only problem is it's a bit hard to get to.

I don't get Giordano's. It's basically two pizzas stacked on top of one another. Maybe I'm missing something?

We had Lou Malnati's tonight. It was quite good. I could tell they care about ingredients but the crust wasn't nearly as good as Pequod's.

How is Pizano's? We walked by one when we were downtown today.

Also, I wish the trains had the same consistency as they have in Japan. Transit's infinitely better than Seattle but it can be a bit disappointing at times.

Sai-kun

Banned
Pizano's thin crust is pretty delicious, but their deep dish is a little meh. I'd pass unless you really wanna go.

Also day 3 of #Lolla complete today! It's been a fucking awesome weekend. Four days instead of three has been kind of unreal.

Anyone have advice for finding a 3-6 month lease in Chicago? Or, would it be easier to get a 12-month lease and just sublease it when the time comes? Got a job in the city but my partner is still searching (but we need to move to Chicago for my job sooner than we can wait for my partner to get a career-level job). So, we want to sublease for 3-6 months to give time to find my partner a job so we can re-locate to equalize (to the best of our abilities) our commutes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We're looking, roughly, for something $1-2K/mo, Studio to 2 bedroom, washer/dryer in-unit, somewhere between Streeterville and Lake View as far west as Bucktown with a 3-6 month lease.

When i first moved to the city i was able to find a spot on a month to month basis via craigslist, so definitely start there. I used Zumper ultimately to find my current apartment. Worse case, if all else fails, subletting wouldnt be too bad considering the area you want to move to is in high demand right now.

joelseph

Anyone have advice for finding a 3-6 month lease in Chicago? Or, would it be easier to get a 12-month lease and just sublease it when the time comes? Got a job in the city but my partner is still searching (but we need to move to Chicago for my job sooner than we can wait for my partner to get a career-level job). So, we want to sublease for 3-6 months to give time to find my partner a job so we can re-locate to equalize (to the best of our abilities) our commutes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We're looking, roughly, for something $1-2K/mo, Studio to 2 bedroom, washer/dryer in-unit, somewhere between Streeterville and Lake View as far west as Bucktown with a 3-6 month lease.

Congrats on the job Soka, welcome to Chicago!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I love the Chi and would love to move to Chicago with my family (my wife is from there), but it's almost impossible to find a job there long distance since I don't really know anyone with connections. I can probably get a decent house with my current credit/job, but making the jump without a confirmed job seems like insanity with small kids. My wife is in healthcare so she'll probably find a job pretty quickly but I'm scared that I would struggle and set my family back.

gamz

I did a little research on different places and was scared off of Pequod's to be honest,opinions on it seemed fairly mixed with quite a few searing by it but also quite a few complaining about it being like 90% bread

You missed out. It's great! My out of town friends always want to go there. I had some friends from Belize (huge Cubs fans) come out and stayed with me for a week and we ate there probably every single day.

Top Bottom