• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I saw pics from his Facebook.

163733_182186261809340_100000539038740_579761_3150955_n.jpg

384511_340830985944866_100000539038740_1278140_1031425632_n.jpg

Crown down! Forks up!

And then:

His father, Herbert Sr. on a little site called Interpol.
I don't give a fuck how good the food is in this city, this shit is just embarrassing. Fucking ignorant gang bangers.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
When I lived at Fullerton and Western, there were always the MLD kids tagging stuff.

Now in E. Lakeview, nothing. Bros and Trixies I guess.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

ChiTownBuffalo

I'm down. Street fighter tournament.

Hipsters don't wear basketball shoes. C'mon cuev. I'll rock my Jeremy Lin jersey if you come to the chicago-gaf meetup there.

I should get a Jeremy Lin jersey.

However, the only bball jersey I won is a retro Alex English jersey.

embalm

Gaf, please make this city more interesting for me.

I've been working here for almost 5 months, and still don't know anyone and have nothing to do most days.

I work/stay in Naperville, but I am going mad with boredom. Can anyone suggest things to do on the weekdays? I don't mind going into the city at all, so please suggest away.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's

I've been working here for almost 5 months, and still don't know anyone and have nothing to do most days.

I work/stay in Naperville, but I am going mad with boredom. Can anyone suggest things to do on the weekdays? I don't mind going into the city at all, so please suggest away.

Naperville...ugh. Catch a Bulls game? Go try all the great restaurants (Pequods pizza!) The summer is better because there are way more things once it gets warm.

I live in Naperville as well, and I've found there is quite a lot to do even just out in the burbs. Keep in mind though that im married, with a kid on the way, so my social outings don't revolve around pubbin' and clubbin' in the city these days. Some of my local favorites are:

Hollywood Blvd (Naperville) - Movie Theater / Eatery. You can order a bucket of beers for the show, and they have tons of cool showings of old movies. They recently had a Clockwork Orange screening with Malcolm McDowell.

Grumpy Bulldog (Downtown Naperville) - A kick-ass chilled out bar with tons of good brews. They occasionally have beer making/appreciation events.

Bavarian Lodge (Lisle) - My favorite German restaurant in the Chicago area. I went to Munich last fall, and the food is identical.

Besides these, there is a cool coin-op expo in West Chicago about twice a year, the "Warrior Dash" just outside of Joliet in June, and of course Naperville's very own Ribfest.

embalm

Naperville...ugh. Catch a Bulls game? Go try all the great restaurants (Pequods pizza!) The summer is better because there are way more things once it gets warm.

I'm from Cincinnati and I've shunned the burbs there to live in the city, but I don't have a choice here. I stay where the company is willing to put me up at.

I've never seen a pro basketball game, so I think I'll do that.

ChiTownBuffalo

I'm from Cincinnati and I've shunned the burbs there to live in the city, but I don't have a choice here. I stay where the company is willing to put me up at.

I've never seen a pro basketball game, so I think I'll do that.

I'm going to Galloping Ghost next weekend. You're welcome to join my friends and I.

joelseph

What are your hobbies?

Broadway/Belmont area here. Best city ever? Yes! Seeing some snow now...

i think me, you, and chitown all live within a block of each other.

You guys have probably seen me around-- north face fleece, yoga pants, bug-eye shades, Jamba juice cup, and an adam's apple.

I would be totally down for a Street Fighter CE tourney at Emporium! I might try to make more of an effort to join whatever fighting game community is in Chicago...this winter has been the pits for me socially, so something like that could get me off my ass.

embalm-- naperville, ouch. I can relate with how much it sucks to live in the burbs. I spent about 8 months in the north burbs before starting school to save on rent. It was a pain in the ass to make friends and get motivated to hang in the city, but I tried to get down there at least every other weekend. If there wasn't a party or something, I'd look for something else to do, like visiting a museum, a store I wanted to go to, or something like that. I was pretty into art at the time, so I spent a lot of that time going to galleries...plenty of that if you're interested.

ChiTownBuffalo

I am a big Asian guy with a mo/fauxhawk and a brown tactical backpack always going back and forth to Boystown area on Broadway.

ToD_

i think me, you, and chitown all live within a block of each other.

You guys have probably seen me around-- north face fleece, yoga pants, bug-eye shades, Jamba juice cup, and an adam's apple.

:lol So true.

I'd definitely be up for a meet-up/tourney as well. As much as I love street fighter, I am very horrible at it, though.

Oh, and if you see a guy walking around in the summer with a NeoGAF shirt, chances are that it's me.

ChiTownBuffalo

I am a part of a Fight Stick Club, we rock it on 3 LCD's.

I'll ask if I can bring in new people.

wow, that "Crazy Chickens" restaurant right off broadway went out of business in short order....i ate there once a few months ago and could not believe how bad it was (if I can make better buffalo sauce in 5 minutes at my apartment, then your restaurant sucks.) Just walked by and they're gone.

it's like people invest ~$100k without doing research on the area (lots of good chicken around) and without taste testing their food.

ChiTownBuffalo

The one next to Domino's?

ChiTownBuffalo

Whelp, winter just showed up.

ToD_

wow, that "Crazy Chickens" restaurant right off broadway went out of business in short order....i ate there once a few months ago and could not believe how bad it was (if I can make better buffalo sauce in 5 minutes at my apartment, then your restaurant sucks.) Just walked by and they're gone.

it's like people invest ~$100k without doing research on the area (lots of good chicken around) and without taste testing their food.

No kidding. That's pretty much exactly where I live (don't start stalking, gaf). I wasn't all that surprised, really. It never seemed like a good spot for a place like that. Can't say I tried it. There used to be a sushi place right next to it as well, which closed. Stella's, across, does well enough. It seems like unless you're right on Broadway it's hard to run a restaurant. People don't want to eat on Barry Ave for some reason!

ToD_

There was another restaurant there where they were always advertising their turkey burgers. And a Polish owned Mediterranean restaurant next to that. Not sure what happened with the turkey burger spot, but the Mediterranean restaurant got a new owner and had their name changed to Lina Pita, which is Moroccan food (or simply owned by Moroccans). I wasn't too impressed with the latter, but I'll give it another shot considering I walk past it as part of my commute from work.

Thorhald

yeah .. just reared my head out of my office for a cup of coffee and noticed hell and broken loose outside. here we go again.

You're a GD, huh?

No, but my older cousin was growing up....

No kidding. That's pretty much exactly where I live (don't start stalking, gaf). I wasn't all that surprised, really. It never seemed like a good spot for a place like that. Can't say I tried it. There used to be a sushi place right next to it as well, which closed. Stella's, across, does well enough. It seems like unless you're right on Broadway it's hard to run a restaurant. People don't want to eat on Barry Ave for some reason!
PLEASE TELL ME YOU ALL GO TO CRISP! I went there so much one of the owners gave me a blackberry. LOL.

ChiTownBuffalo

No, but my older cousin was growing up....

PLEASE TELL ME YOU ALL GO TO CRISP! I went there so much one of the owners gave me a blackberry. LOL.

I used to.

But haven't been back so much since the last year.

Took me two hours to drive from Buffalo Grove to the city. Fahk.

I'll make it a point to have some from there this weekend, maybe even tonight.

Anything in particular you recommend from Crisp?

BBQ Wings. THATS THE REASON THE PLACE IS POPULAR. I'm in all caps because I miss the chicken in Chicago, and don't get me started on mild sauce...

ToD_

BBQ Wings. THATS THE REASON THE PLACE IS POPULAR. I'm in all caps because I miss the chicken in Chicago, and don't get me started on mild sauce...

Tomorrow I'll give that a shot probably. I wanted to go tonight, but this weather is horrible. Wind blowing snow in my face, brrr. Empanadas tonight ;)

I've been eating there almost weekly for the past 2 and a half years or so! Easily my favorite restaurant within walking distance of my place.

2nd place goes to...hmm. either Flub-a-dub chubs or Mista.

or maybe the new banh-mi place

or maybe Kluck or Chicken Hut (great classic "cheap roasted chicken with good portions of sides" places)

or pita queen/eat-a-pita...

or...damn, lots of great restaurants just between diversey and belmont on clark and broadway.

but Crisp is definitely #1. My favorite is plain wings with the buffalo sauce on the side for dipping (if you get the buffalo wings for take out there, they'll be soggy by the time you get home.) If i can have a hipster moment, I do get a little annoyed that it's packed during lunch and dinner and that they raised their prices quite a bit after they started getting attention.

no, but I know those places (burger one and something else?) I've wanted to try out them out too...it's too bad for them there's about 10 great restaurants between me and them, so I never have to walk over there (about 2 blocks haha.) Also, it's gonna take a lot for me to care about a burger place with Flub-a-dub chubs (awesome, huge char burgers on pretzel buns omfg) and Clark Dog right there.

I was thinking before it opened that the place was gonna be amazing or complete ass. Amazing if the owners knew they had good chicken that could compete...complete ass if they had their heads up their asses and didn't do research. but seriously, the buffalo sauce there was a fucking war crime!
One of the only times I've actually thrown out a bunch of food I just bought.

It's a great area for a restaurant if your food is good! You'll get high yelp ratings (everyone in the area yelps everything) and word-of-mouth for sure.

ToD_

no, but I know those places (burger one and something else?) I've wanted to try out them out too...it's too bad for them there's about 10 great restaurants between me and them, so I never have to walk over there (about 2 blocks haha.) Also, it's gonna take a lot for me to care about a burger place with Flub-a-dub chubs (awesome, huge char burgers on pretzel buns omfg) and Clark Dog right there.

Hehe, I've had my share of flub-a-dub chubs hot dogs at the bar next door (Monsignor Murphy's) but have yet to try their burgers. This thread is becoming useful.

Hehe, I've had my share of flub-a-dub chubs hot dogs at the bar next door (Monsignor Murphy's) but have yet to try their burgers. This thread is becoming useful.

you're in for a treat! The roe burger is great. they're all great! only warning: the portobellas on the woody burger are deep fried...it's a heavy ass burger and tasty as hell, but not really good if you have to run back to work after.

I've never been to Chi but I have a shit load of family from there. I might try and visit them one day. It looks really nice from what I have seen. Only downside is Yacobod.

ChiTownBuffalo

The Bean light show!

1rjr.jpg

2pwp.jpg

4dyd.jpg

5bdb.jpg

Go to a north central party.

ChiTownBuffalo

Yup. Headed to jits. Cold.

Last night sucked dick too. I went out before the wind really picked up, so later in the night I definitely was not dressed appropriately. I ain't goin out until Winters over, fuck this noise

Top Bottom