• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

JCX

tumblr_lz6yvf6LMG1qzma4ho1_400.jpg

I've been meaning to buy that. Baratunde Thurston is pretty funny.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I thought Jerry's was incredibly overpriced for some glorified sandwiches.

Also, does anyone else not like Pasadita's that much? I much prefer the Mexican grocery store 2 blocks north.

I went there when it wasn't crowded and it was great.

I have been there when it is crowded and it kinda sucks.

I think it might have to do with how much they pre-cook the meat.

joelseph

I get the meatloaf sandwich on challah with slaw and spiced apples. Agreed on the precooked meat though, have to avoid certain sandwiches.

RevDM

Banned
I appreciate all the info. To someone who asked, I haven't been accepted into any residency program. I wont know for another year and half, but am starting to think about places I'd want to go. I didn't mean to sound like I was pretentious for wanting to live in a nicer part of town. I currently live by our hospital in downtown where crime is fairly rampant. I don't have the opportunity to enjoy living here as I'm pretty much confined to staying indoors when night falls, and I certainly can't take a walk anywhere for fear of being mugged.

Talon

Which Pasadita? There are three of them.
Longman and Eagle
Big Star
Lula's
Longman and Eagle has great, great food, and I would say they're priced out of actual hipsters' budgets.

It is in Logan Square though.

If you live around Logan Square, drop by Telegraph. Great wine bar with delicious food.

Love the Hopleaf.

Also, if you like mussels and frites, you have to go to Vincent on Balmoral and Clark. Everyone raves about the Hopleaf's mussels (which are, sorry folks, clearly frozen), but Vincent has much better mussels. Huge beasts.

I can see their awning from my porch, I'm just down the street.

Sadly, I don't like mussels.

Same corner also has the infamous "Best Pizza in the Country" place (Great Lake) from a GQ article of a couple of years back, and A Taste of Heaven, infamous for their message about children needed to be behaved or asked to leave.

Quite the corner, and it's mine!

Longman and Eagle has great, great food, and I would say they're priced out of actual hipsters' budgets.

It is in Logan Square though.

If you live around Logan Square, drop by Telegraph. Great wine bar with delicious food.

I still see tons of hipsters in there; I think it's the high-end of hipster dining.

... But it's awesome, and I love it.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I still see tons of hipsters in there; I think it's the high-end of hipster dining.

... But it's awesome, and I love it.

It's right down the street from me.

Also, El Cid 2, right on that same block, is badass. As is the comic book store next to it.

Nothing Less coffee shop? Sucks. Stay away.

TheCrow

Hit up Zacatacos on 59th and Pulaski they use charcoal so the meat is always crispy.

Zacatacos is good. My personal favorite is Atotonilcos, I've eaten from two of their locations and it's been consistently great. Mostly just get carne asada but their al pastor is good too.

Zacatacos is good. My personal favorite is Atotonilcos, I've eaten from two of their locations and it's been consistently great. Mostly just get carne asada but their al pastor is good too.

What location. I have had the one of 47th street between Ashland and Western tacos were delicious and the portions were insane really large tacos with plenty of meat.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Man, people really think Chicago is heartless for making that kid cry.

I have to give some love to Edgewater. Not at all plain, not as annoying as Lakeview/Wrigley/Lincoln Park either.

Edgewater and Uptown are really quite diverse. Uptown is a bit sketchy, but I love it. You always see something interesting going down. It's what makes being in a city great. I also love being right by Argyle street for all the amazing Vietnamese food and Big Chicks, which is my favorite gay bar in the city.

I will also second the recommendation for Vincent in Andersonville and also their sister restaurant in Boystown, HB. Really good food at a reasonable price. Vincent has a "Neighborhood Night" on Tuesdays, $30 three course prix-fixe but you can choose from the whole menu. It's a great deal.

anyone been to the wal-mart on North avenue? good god. I went just to check out the game section (you can find weird, rare stuff at wal-marts sometimes) and it was like a bomb went off in there...shit all over the place and like it hadn't been organized ever. I tried to ask the one person there if they could get something out of the cabinet and got ignored the first two times I asked and got snapped at the third time to wait at the line at the register.

joelseph

anyone been to the wal-mart on North avenue? good god. I went just to check out the game section (you can find weird, rare stuff at wal-marts sometimes) and it was like a bomb went off in there...shit all over the place and like it hadn't been organized ever. I tried to ask the one person there if they could get something out of the cabinet and got ignored the first two times I asked and got snapped at the third time to wait at the line at the register.

Experience K-Mart at Milwaukee and Division!

ChiTownBuffalo

So me and the lady are planning to have a day around the city.. gonna finally get Pequods for the first time.

I need to get out more lolz

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Anybody here been to Big and Littles? Tried this today and hooooooooly shit, soft-shell crab po' boy was awesome. Also, truffle fries and the Beaver Donut Truck out front for dessert.

Highly recommended.

Hmm. Slacking on GAF-browsing. Love the city, I'm there about once a month because my girlfriend lives on the north shore. I'll be there in two weekends, can't wait. I'm sure it has been mentioned numerous times already, and it is a bit cliched, but I always hit Portillo's at least once, and sometimes twice, whenever I visit.

Also, my favorite neighborhoods are Oldtown, and Lakeview. Love visiting Chicago Bagel Authority, but that is mostly because of its ties to where I went to college.

Anybody here been to Big and Littles? Tried this today and hooooooooly shit, soft-shell crab po' boy was awesome. Also, truffle fries and the Beaver Donut Truck out front for dessert.

Highly recommended.

YESSSSSS. So good. I haven't been since they moved a few months ago. The truffle fries are fantastic.

Talon

I can see their awning from my porch, I'm just down the street.

Sadly, I don't like mussels.

Same corner also has the infamous "Best Pizza in the Country" place (Great Lake) from a GQ article of a couple of years back, and A Taste of Heaven, infamous for their message about children needed to be behaved or asked to leave.

Quite the corner, and it's mine!
You lucky dog. Great Lake is amazing. Best pizza I've ever had was a spring onion pie. I could eat that crust by itself for an entire meal.

Coalfire, Piece, Pequod's and Pizzano's are all great pies, but Great Lake's definitely the best pie I've had in the city.

Consider this a "me jelly" post.

yacobod

Banned
I've never been to Chi but I have a shit load of family from there. I might try and visit them one day. It looks really nice from what I have seen. Only downside is Yacobod.

don't be scared homie. i don't even live in the city anymore. got married and moved to the burbs. plus i work in the nw suburbs, so it's more convenient.

Talon

don't be scared homie. i don't even live in the city anymore. got married and moved to the burbs. plus i work in the nw suburbs, so it's more convenient.
Oh, Jesus. I've been within ten minutes of Yacobad. I'm surprised my nose didn't start bleeding profusely.

I've never been to San Soo Gab San but if you guys like Korean food, check out Woo Chon. It's really good and cheap too. It's kind of hard to find, but it's a total hidden gem.

Sai-kun

Banned
Should petition a mod to change the thread titled to ChicagoFood-GAF. ;P

Cho Sun Ok on Lincoln/Berteau (between montrose/irving park) is also really excellent. Their mul naeng myun is heavenly.

Mest30

Banned
Anyone ever been to the Moon Palace in China Town, right next to the fire house? Best Chinese food I've ever had, especially the appetizers like steamed dumplings, hot and sour soup and spring rolls.

The food at Cho sun ok is awesome... The chadolbaegi is incredible, but the problem is that it can get ultra crowded, and the waitresses are amazingly rude, even by Korean restaurant standards applying this rudeness even to Koreans. I think they're really stressed since every time I've been there, the owner is at the counter, surveying everything and getting drunk as shit.

If the food wasn't so damn good, I wouldn't keep coming back

TheCrow

What location. I have had the one of 47th street between Ashland and Western tacos were delicious and the portions were insane really large tacos with plenty of meat.
I've been to that one as well as to the one on Kedzie. Need to get some tacos from there soon since it's been a while.

Sai-kun

Banned
The food at Cho sun ok is awesome... The chadolbaegi is incredible, but the problem is that it can get ultra crowded, and the waitresses are amazingly rude, even by Korean restaurant standards applying this rudeness even to Koreans. I think they're really stressed since every time I've been there, the owner is at the counter, surveying everything and getting drunk as shit.

If the food wasn't so damn good, I wouldn't keep coming back

Oh my god dude, this is so true. My friends/family and I have been there so often though that it doesn't even phase us anyone, and it's pretty funny.

ChiTownBuffalo

All the Korean restaurant staff are rude. And fucking Yeosai. Fights, so many fights.

Top Bottom