• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Yeah, I think the other shoe has dropped.

Just ordered my Cubs tickets for opening weekend when I'm in town. If it's anything like Fenway I will be uncomfortable for 3.5 hours and my knees will be in the back of the person in front of me. Not easy being 6'4" at these 100+ yr old parks. Beers will fix that.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
The only thing to be afraid of is his small. He probably hasn't taken his pride shirt off since Shogun won in 2005.

200px-Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

RevDM

Banned
In a couple years I'll be done with med school and I want to do my residency in Chicago. I imagine it to be the perfect city for a young professional. Fairly cheap living, big city, lots of culture. What else can you guys tell me about it? I've never been there, all I know is what I've read about it.

ChiTownBuffalo

In a couple years I'll be done with med school and I want to do my residency in Chicago. I imagine it to be the perfect city for a young professional. Fairly cheap living, big city, lots of culture. What else can you guys tell me about it? I've never been there, all I know is what I've read about it.

As a non-Chicagoan, I chose this city to live in because it is one of the few true AMericna cities. Where each neghborhood has its own flavor and is still easily accessible via public transit. It's not as overwhelming as NYC, not as expensive as SF, not as annoying as Boston. I will admit, less hot Asian women than Seattle.

I fell in love with the architecture, the simple joys of living in one of the greatest cities in the world, but not feeling like I'm an ant. Whatever interest, fetish, curiosity etc you may have, you can find it here in CHicago and there are people who are very friendly and welcoming to you. Like that one time I went with the gay bar with my gf at the time, and these very friendly young men asked me to compete on amatuer shower night.

Chicago never gets bypassed for national anything. So its nice. I can eat awesome food with a woman for under $20 that will fill the both of us and then we can go see the symphony, opera, roller derby or whatever.

RevDM

Banned
As a non-Chicagoan, I chose this city to live in because it is one of the few true AMericna cities. Where each neghborhood has its own flavor and is still easily accessible via public transit. It's not as overwhelming as NYC, not as expensive as SF, not as annoying as Boston. I will admit, less hot Asian women than Seattle.

I fell in love with the architecture, the simple joys of living in one of the greatest cities in the world, but not feeling like I'm an ant. Whatever interest, fetish, curiosity etc you may have, you can find it here in CHicago and there are people who are very friendly and welcoming to you. Like that one time I went with the gay bar with my gf at the time, and these very friendly young men asked me to compete on amatuer shower night.

Chicago never gets bypassed for national anything. So its nice. I can eat awesome food with a woman for under $20 that will fill the both of us and then we can go see the symphony, opera, roller derby or whatever.

Thanks for the info. If you could break Chicago into a pie chart, what percentage of it is ghetto/dangerous and what part of it is the "rich part?"

How much would a one bedroom apartment cost in a part of town where it would be safe to jog at night and not worry about anyone messing with you BMW (or any fancy car)?

Luixfern

Thanks for the info. If you could break Chicago into a pie chart, what percentage of it is ghetto/dangerous and what part of it is the "rich part?"

How much would a one bedroom apartment cost in a part of town where it would be safe to jog at night and not worry about anyone messing with you BMW (or any fancy car)?

Avoid the southside. Live another day.

ChiTownBuffalo

Depends how close you want to live to the lake.

I live by the lake, and pay $1000 a month.

I'm going to move a little further north I think it'll drop my rent to $700.

The ghetto/dangerous and rich parts are based on geogrpahic location here in Chicago.

Stay on the north or near west side and you'll be OK. The near southside, by the museums is safe too.

This is exactly what I did. I've been here for almost 4 years. It's been awesome, and everything it sounds like you're looking for.

Granted, you'll be busy in residency, but you'll be busy anywhere. When you get off time though, you couldn't ask to be in a better city.

Ghetto is the best, that is Chicago. Gentrification means suburbia wins. Support the West and South sides!

I'm a Northsider and proud, but I reiterate this. There's a lot of the city to love outside the usual destinations that people reccomend.

However, there's a big difference between gentrification and suburbs. I like living in a nice neighborhood, but I'm not down for Strip Mall Hell and weak-ass food choices.

joelseph

I'm a Northsider and proud, but I reiterate this. There's a lot of the city to love outside the usual destinations that people reccomend.

However, there's a big difference between gentrification and suburbs. I like living in a nice neighborhood, but I'm not down for Strip Mall Hell and weak-ass food choices.

Yeah exactly. If every neighborhood has to be "white washed" to be deemed safe we will be surrounded my Webber fucking grills and Abercrombie.

joelseph

I got drunk at Roller Derby and asked Val Capone to marry me. Went home with a cute little blonde and then had a crazy good time at ChitownBuffalo's Magic party on the UIC campus. Great weekend for me.

okno

I've always hated how everyone says flat out, "avoid the south and west side, if you know what's good for you." The south side is just boring, but definitely has some sketchy areas. The west side, however, is fucking great and you'll find the best food in the city out there. Obviously, both sides have streets you do NOT go down if you're a preppy white boy, but the same can be said for any city. Also, the north side has its fair share of dangerous neighborhoods (hi, Rogers Park). I know way, way too many people who have moved to Chicago, live in the safe neighborhoods, and then proceed to loudly exclaim, "I don't know why everyone says Chicago isn't safe, nothing ever happens to me!"

I fucking miss Chicago, but I can't ever live there again.

PS, would anyone be willing to buy me a Pequod's pie and ship it to NY? That'd be rad as balls. I miss deep dish pizza so, so, so much. The only deep dish in NYC is Uno's, and it's not even real Uno's pizza!

Gazzawa

Took a trip there from Ireland last October. Incredible living breathing city. Great weather and scenery.
Cheesecake factory...... dem portions!
Would consider living there if the job prospect situation wasn't so poor.

ChiTownBuffalo

I got drunk at Roller Derby and asked Val Capone to marry me. Went home with a cute little blonde and then had a crazy good time at ChitownBuffalo's Magic party on the UIC campus. Great weekend for me.

Aww, Bork is my friend and captain of the Manic Attackers. I'll pass her a note to pass to Val during study hall.

Avoid the west side as well. Pretty much only the downtown area and northside are safe.

I'm white, currently live in Kenwood/Hyde Park and just bought a condo in the West Loop. You guys are really missing out on many great things in the city if all you do is hang out in Lakeview (***barf***).

Mr.City

I've always hated how everyone says flat out, "avoid the south and west side, if you know what's good for you." The south side is just boring, but definitely has some sketchy areas. The west side, however, is fucking great and you'll find the best food in the city out there. Obviously, both sides have streets you do NOT go down if you're a preppy white boy, but the same can be said for any city. Also, the north side has its fair share of dangerous neighborhoods (hi, Rogers Park). I know way, way too many people who have moved to Chicago, live in the safe neighborhoods, and then proceed to loudly exclaim, "I don't know why everyone says Chicago isn't safe, nothing ever happens to me!"

I fucking miss Chicago, but I can't ever live there again.

PS, would anyone be willing to buy me a Pequod's pie and ship it to NY? That'd be rad as balls. I miss deep dish pizza so, so, so much. The only deep dish in NYC is Uno's, and it's not even real Uno's pizza!

What's dangerous about Rogers Park?

ChiTownBuffalo

Mike (kid I was with at your party) is friends with Amy on Manic Attackers. We should go to Bottom Lounge after a game.

I do. I haven't been in a while.

I'll probably go next game.

Joanie Utah of the Double Crossers showed up at Magic after you left.

Mest30

Banned
I'm white, currently live in Kenwood/Hyde Park and just bought a condo in the West Loop. You guys are really missing out on many great things in the city if all you do is hang out in Lakeview (***barf***).

I'm talking areas like 63rd and Michigan, 95th and Dan Ryan, Roosevelt and Pulaski. Areas you've probably never been to.

okno

Why's that?

It's just not my kind of city, frankly. I grew up in and around it for 17 years and I've just become really tired of it. It's a great city, but it's also a really depressing city when you think about it. The job market is awful, especially for young people, the police are corrupt as all fuck, and I felt I couldn't really grow very much there. I had to move to NYC to be more entrenched in the electronic music scene (Chicago has one, but it's lacking), and in the nearly two years I've been here I've accomplished more things quicker than I ever did in Chicago. Of course, not everyone has or has had the same experience as me, so it's different for everyone. I also had to get away from the overwhelmingly available drug scene there. The amount of drugs and the ridiculous ease with which you can get them there is just absurd.

That said, I can't wait to go there for a visit this summer.

Mr.City said:
What's wrong with Rogers Park?

The Loyola U area is a great place to get mugged, pick pocketed or stabbed. The south side of Rogers Park is just generally a sketchy area, and I never, ever felt comfortable there unless I was near the lake. My brother lived there for three years and we heard gunshots all the time and constantly got reports of muggings and whatnot on his block. I can't imagine it has been cleaned up very much in the time I've been gone.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's

Totally agree with this. Lakeview/Wrigley/Lincoln Park have some good bars, but the rest of the scene up there is really plain. Diversify. Don't be afraid to go elsewhere.

Mest30

Banned
I've always hated how everyone says flat out, "avoid the south and west side, if you know what's good for you." The south side is just boring, but definitely has some sketchy areas. The west side, however, is fucking great and you'll find the best food in the city out there. Obviously, both sides have streets you do NOT go down if you're a preppy white boy, but the same can be said for any city.

Because most people think halsted is the westside or the museum campus or mt. Greenwood are the southside. I'm talking the real west side, Roosevelt and kedzie, lawndale, shit like that. I doubt youve gone fine dining in that area.

Are you gonna be doing your residency at UIC? My wife is doing her rotations there as well. There are a couple of really good places to live near the campus, but I decided to live near the north/west side. I live in a decent 2 bedroom condo, heat, gas and water included all for $860. Big stores nearby as well. Avoid the South side (once Lakeshore dr becomes S Jeffrey blvd, you're in the shit).

glow

Banned

Rogers Park is safe now but it wasn't always. We still have shootings every once in awhile and there are GDs in the area between Touhy and Howard, between Ridge and the lake. But for the most part cops and gentrification have changed RP by targeting the "bad areas". Howard has been gentrified a bit and there are always cops near the Morse el stop. Now the Loyola area is being gentrified so it's coming from the south too.

ChiTownBuffalo

Totally agree with this. Lakeview/Wrigley/Lincoln Park have some good bars, but the rest of the scene up there is really plain. Diversify. Don't be afraid to go elsewhere.

But my tv and stuff is there.

I spend most of my free time not in my neighborhood, so it doesn't matter anyway.

My stuff is in a plain, safe area. I am not.

Talon

You can find great food anywhere. Pho up in Argyle. Bistro fare around Lakeview. Fine dining in West Loop or Gold Coast. Two of the best restaurants in the city are down in Pilsen (Nightwood and Davanti Enoteca). Great tacos just about everywhere.
Lots of muggings in Roger's Park.

Because most people think halsted is the westside or the museum campus or mt. Greenwood are the southside. I'm talking the real west side, Roosevelt and kedzie, lawndale, shit like that. I doubt youve gone fine dining in that area.

Uncle John's on 69th, and Calumet Fisheries on 95th. Amazing eats. Worth the trip.

I have to give some love to Edgewater. Not at all plain, not as annoying as Lakeview/Wrigley/Lincoln Park either.

Talon

I have to give some love to Edgewater. Not at all plain, not as annoying as Lakeview/Wrigley/Lincoln Park either.
Love the Hopleaf.

Also, if you like mussels and frites, you have to go to Vincent on Balmoral and Clark. Everyone raves about the Hopleaf's mussels (which are, sorry folks, clearly frozen), but Vincent has much better mussels. Huge beasts.

aktham

I stayed in Chicago last September for about a week. I really liked the city as a tourist, but I don't think I can live there. I stayed in O'hare area and drove my car everywhere. I ended up using the blue line to get around as well, but I really prefer driving. Chicago is not car friendly :(

Like somebody else mentioned, it's a city obsessed with food haha. There's also 5000 starbucks in the downtown area.

Mest30

Banned
Uncle John's on 69th, and Calumet Fisheries on 95th. Amazing eats. Worth the trip.

Calumet Fisheries is far east. The eastside may not look pretty but its a much nicer area than lawndale. I'll give you uncle johns. That's a pretty Shitty area. I wouldn't take the family to eat there, but to each his own.

fat pat

I was at the roller derby on sat night also. it was WAY more fun than i expected it to be. I got really into the strategy really fast. pretty ridiculous/awesome.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah exactly. If every neighborhood has to be "white washed" to be deemed safe we will be surrounded my Webber fucking grills and Abercrombie.

I felt like crying when I went back to Humboldt park and saw that the awesome Puerto Rican restaurants had been replaced with hipster restaurants and coffee houses.

I guess I was lucky to have experienced a more diverse version of the park while I was in college.

snkryo

Oh shit I just found the best city Thread!!!!!! Just saying Hi to all Chicago GAF people. HI! I'm from the west side by the Brickyard mall.

Top Bottom