• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

Redshirt

Banned
I finished 1K-ing it this afternoon. The game is OK, but the charm had worn off for me about halfway through. I doubt I'll ever get around to new game+.

legbone

would someone let me know what the point of no return is? may want to put it in spoilers for others. thanks in advance.

would someone let me know what the point of no return is? may want to put it in spoilers for others. thanks in advance.

I don't think there is one. I'm pretty sure you can backtrack from a save right before the last boss. And after you beat the game, it puts you right back into the world.

The_Monk

Only played this a bit
But I'm loving it so far
The music is amazing
The art is raising the bar

For one hour I played
And I need to play more
This one is about the journey
As I don't chase any score

So give this game a chance
If you haven't before
You will need just a glance
For this is the game you're looking for.

Only played this a bit
But I'm loving it so far
The music is amazing
The art is raising the bar

For one hour I played
And I need to play more
This one is about the journey
As I don't chase any score

So give this game a chance
If you haven't before
You will need just a glance
For this is the game you're looking for.

Sure you haven't been playing all night?
Your rhymes are bursting with Aurora's light
But if you must don't put the controller down
As I'd hate to see your sad jester frown

Given Ubi's size and the cost of Montreal talent they must have, I imagine the budget for this is higher than you'd wager, especially given the number of platforms. Probably needs better word of mouth to really get the returns needed for a sequel. Tell friends? Haha

I thought one of the big benefits of the Uni Art engine is that it makes it easier to go from concept to game? Instead of trying to get a bunch of expensive people to take expensive concept art and make it in game they are just able to put the concept art right in.

JaggedSac

Just got all the cheevos for the game. Was decent. Got a little old towards the end. Looked incredible all the way through though.

Anyone got suggestions for the best gems for each slot? Trying to figure out what to make, in general I've just been slowly upgrading some diamonds for the xp increase...

legbone

I don't think there is one. I'm pretty sure you can backtrack from a save right before the last boss. And after you beat the game, it puts you right back into the world.

oh, ok. i thought i read earlier in the thread someone complaining about how they wish they had known about the point of no return going in. but they didn't mention what it was.

Just finished the game. So good. Final boss
wasn't as bad as I was led to believe. It was mostly a matter of managing enemy turns until you could take out the two adds. Once it was only the boss itself, it was quite manageable.
overall, great game. It wasn't difficult, but it was very enjoyable.

Anyone got suggestions for the best gems for each slot? Trying to figure out what to make, in general I've just been slowly upgrading some diamonds for the xp increase...

Depends on what type of character the gems are going to. I found the mage with black onyx(ups magic power) in attack and diamond in magic(ups casting speed) was a lethal combination. Tourmaline(I think it was) in attack on anyone with attack all is great for the chance to paralyze and thus win the battle meter war. The attack damage to dark enemies is pretty good since they're in every zone too.

M.Steiner

Think I'll finally pick this up during the week at some point, although I've not fully decided as to which platform I'll get it on just yet.
Are there any advantages between PC & PS4 or are they more or less the same?. I tend to get most of my games for PC when given the option so buying it on steam is tempting, though it'd be nice to expand my PS4 library a bit too really.

Perhaps I'll go with the PS4 version and then grab a PC copy during the summer Steam sales or something, should I like it enough.
Looking forward to playing it!

romulus91

sorry if this has been answered but is there a way to avoid/reduce the risk of save file corruption on ps4? just got it and dont really want to start it if i have to start over :p
even though my hype levels have imploded

K' Dash

My game just crashed (PS4) when I tried to teleport to the cliffs of erin, I shat my pants, but my save is ok, just uploaded it just to be sure.

RPGCrazied

How is the PS3 version? I know there is a demo, but its like 2gb big.

How long is the story? Side quests?

Do you only get to battle with 2 characters at a time?

Thanks for answering

Begaria

Think I'll finally pick this up during the week at some point, although I've not fully decided as to which platform I'll get it on just yet.
Are there any advantages between PC & PS4 or are they more or less the same?. I tend to get most of my games for PC when given the option so buying it on steam is tempting, though it'd be nice to expand my PS4 library a bit too really.

Perhaps I'll go with the PS4 version and then grab a PC copy during the summer Steam sales or something, should I like it enough.
Looking forward to playing it!

Well, from what I can gather from this thread, the PS4 version has some nasty crashing and cloud saving bugs that's deleting progress. For what it's worth, I have not had a single crash or saving issues with the PC version.

Thanks for answering
I hate the 2 character thing. Remember the good old days when it was 4 and 5 characters to a party? Then FFVII decided to make it 3 and that has been the mainstream ever since. Now they've decided that 2 is good enough. As we speak I'm playing Tales of Symphonia DotNW on autofight and it's not like the other option is much better. WTF is going on with RPGs today?

The music and art in CoL is fantastic though.

zeopower6

sorry if this has been answered but is there a way to avoid/reduce the risk of save file corruption on ps4? just got it and dont really want to start it if i have to start over :p
even though my hype levels have imploded

Just upload your save data manually as often as possible x_x PS4 does do auto-upload but it's not as often as I'd like.

Also the crashing seems to be pretty random. I got back to the point I was at after a save corruption (thank you auto-upload that failed but was uploadable after the corruption/crash) and it crashed yet again just before the final boss was loading up. However, this time it didn't corrupt the save, whew.

I have been using Onyxs, Diamonds, and Spinels for the most part. Maybe one or two Citrines for light damage as well. Going to try to get one Princess Stone at some point.

Oh, and is this thread really that 'dead' for a new release? Seems pretty active imo...

Grisby

My game just crashed (PS4) when I tried to teleport to the cliffs of erin, I shat my pants, but my save is ok, just uploaded it just to be sure.
Just happend to me too! Almost had a heart attack loading it back up but everything was fine. Went and used cloud storage for the first time.

On chapter 10 and I think I'm nearing the end so losing my save would suck.

So I'm doing the
Cynbel's Secret
quest at the moment. Is this the main quest or a sidequest? I don't want to accidentally follow through this whole thing and end up at the final boss by accident or something...

I still have the
Lost Lights
quest as well, which I don't want to skip

Gazkapop

Completed the game moments ago and loved every second of it. The rhyming, while not always done brilliantly, never bothered me in any real way or made me roll my eyes for being too forced.

As someone who has basically never touched any kind of turn-based RPG or JRPG (besides briefly playing Pokemon on my friend's Game Boy Colour well over a decade ago), this game was pretty much a perfect introduction given it's simplicity. I decided to play on normal and it was smooth sailing for the most part. I think I only had a party member go down once throughout the whole game so I'd definitely say hard is a must to get any sort of decent challenge.

You probably don't need me to tell you this but man this game is gorgeous. The beautiful artwork combined with the amazing soundtrack draws you into the world like nothing else. Once you are able to fly, you can't help but want to explore every nook and cranny just to see what can be found.

I'm a huge fan of the combat as well. Not that I have much to compare it with but the satisfaction I got from timing a few spells together to stop an opponent from ever getting near me is huge.

However, I do agree with those who got a bit frustrated with constantly levelling up party members and having to take yourself out of the action to access the skill tree. It's fine when there are only a few people in your group but once it climbs to five or six with some of which you'll probably never use, it starts to feel like a bit of a drag.

Either way, I really, really enjoyed Child of Light - especially given the price it cost. I've been considering picking up a Vita lately to get the most out of my PS+ subscription but was worried that a lot of the games like Persona 4 Golden and such wouldn't be for me despite the praise they always get. Not now though. I'm more than willing to try them out.

Like others have said also, I hope this game inspires other big publishers to experiment with this style of game. The indie-like look but with massive production values gives such a big sense of polish to everything.

Thanks for answering

No clue about PS3 version, but...

I just finished the game on hard with all confessions collected and side quests completed. Didn't finish all of the character's skill trees or find all the stardust/coffers. About 25 hours in total. I took my time exploring and leveling though. Definitely could do it faster.

I hate the 2 character thing. Remember the good old days when it was 4 and 5 characters to a party? Then FFVII decided to make it 3 and that has been the mainstream ever since. Now they've decided that 2 is good enough. As we speak I'm playing Tales of Symphonia DotNW on autofight and it's not like the other option is much better. WTF is going on with RPGs today?

Don't get this complaint. Yeah, only two are out at a time, but you can swap them on the fly at the beginning of the cast sequence. It doesn't even forfeit your turn to swap them out!

Honestly, would probably be a nightmare balancing combat with multiple support characters out at once. They are really powerful in this game.

I think it's a Brilliant Diamond + Brilliant Onyx + Brilliant Spinel? Could take a while to make since the Spinel requires a Diamond and Onyx.

I'll try that out, thanks. Think I might be a
Tough Spinel short as I think I have 2 others at that size and 2 faceted. Have the other 2 in Brilliant form(actually have 2 Brilliant Onyx's)

sublimit

Banned
I just found out that there is a demo out for this game but it's in the Japanese PSN store...why they haven't released an English demo yet?

JPS Kai

This is definitely on my to-play list but I need to whittle away my backlog first.

If the deluxe edition wasn't a digital voucher, that would be all mine.

Dragon

Banned
Just happend to me too! Almost had a heart attack loading it back up but everything was fine. Went and used cloud storage for the first time.

On chapter 10 and I think I'm nearing the end so losing my save would suck.

It crashes a lot when switching areas for me.

So has anyone gone through new game +? If so, do you keep getting those permanent stat upgrades? I'm wondering if you can just keep going and eventually max out all your characters' stats...

RPGCrazied

The music and art in CoL is fantastic though.

So I just bought it.

Wow, yea, the music and art is astounding.

No clue about PS3 version, but...

I just finished the game on hard with all confessions collected and side quests completed. Didn't finish all of the character's skill trees or find all the stardust/coffers. About 25 hours in total. I took my time exploring and leveling though. Definitely could do it faster.

I will take my time. The only thing so far I wish there was more voice acting, or at least the main character. But for $15 is still a great price for that long of a game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I thought one of the big benefits of the Uni Art engine is that it makes it easier to go from concept to game? Instead of trying to get a bunch of expensive people to take expensive concept art and make it in game they are just able to put the concept art right in.

Easier doesn't always equal cheaper

So I'm doing the
Cynbel's Secret
quest at the moment. Is this the main quest or a sidequest? I don't want to accidentally follow through this whole thing and end up at the final boss by accident or something...

I still have the
Lost Lights
I think that is the main quest as it is where I am now. I did the
Lost Lights
quest first, just in case.

So I'm doing the
Cynbel's Secret

I still have the
Lost Lights

Both of those are side quests.

oh my Wii U stuck on the loading screen for over 3 minutes now sound is playing but nothing

guess it crashed got to force quit

edit: did not lose my progress or save but sheesh

Vire

Loved this game, might even be my favorite game this year thus far. Looking forward to doing New Game+.

Shallwhat

Banned
This game is fucking amazing. Didn't even know anything about it until the other night when I had an itch to buy a game and found this on the Xbox One store. I watched the trailer and knew I had to buy it. It's fucking magical. Going to replay it once I beat it on NG+ and switch to hard mode.

Beat this game yesterday and it's definitely one of my favorite games of the year so far. I'm not sure if I prefer this or Stick of Truth but I definitely prefer CoL's combat.

Pimpwerx

Has anyone bought the light or dark packs for this game yet? I'm thinking about getting one or both, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. PEACE.

Top Bottom