• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

R&D

Banned
This is a game I want to support but I'm afraid it's slow and a bit boring. I trust Edge and Gamekult reviews most of the time. Is there a good gameplay hook in the battle system?

Frillen

This is a game I want to support but I'm afraid it's slow and a bit boring. I trust Edge and Gamekult reviews most of the time. Is there a good gameplay hook in the battle system?

I would say so, as the battle system forces you to be on your toes, especially on hard.

FDC1

Regarding that bugged achievement with the Oculi (or whatever it's called) Ubisoft strikes again.

If you have more than 100 friends/followers uPlay gets confused and you can't connect and the achievement doesn't unlock. The same shit they had in the PS4 version of AC IV. Fucking hilarious. It's like no one told Ubisoft that PS4 and XB1 allow more than 100 friends now.

I'm on PS4, I deleted some" friends" (98 right now), and it's still not working :-(

Just to confirm, I blocked a few people from my following feed till it said I had 99 people on my feed list (89 friends with 9 Xbox One friends) and got the achievement.
Then once you've got your achievement, go to your friends feed, press start (or whatever that triple thing is =) then click on "People I've blocked" to re-add them.

For anyone that owns all three current gen consoles - don't get the X1 version. The touch controls for the fairy are infinitely better than using the analogue stick. Wii U or PS4 recommended

sfried

I don't like when the GamePad mirrors the screen when I'm playing on the TV, I don't use off-screen so I never see the point to having them both display the exact same thing at the same time.

All it does is distract me, having the image running on my lap being the same thing as the TV. Even a static stats menu or something instead would be better. Just personal preference.

As far as pointer controls, everything I've read says its just d-pad controls holding the Wiimote sideways for co-op which is moronic. If they offer that at least offer Pro Controller too so I can use a stick instead of d-pad.

But yea, thats why I'm trying to find out for sure, I want to get it on Wii U but the control options don't sound flash for me. :( Wonder if they'll patch it?
The version I've downloaded for Child of Light Wii U came with a patch. I'm going to try it, and considering its easy to implement, more than likely theu could add it.

Gamepad touch screen controls feel great though. And offscreen play is godsent.

Beaulieu

Opened a chest in the lowest of the low, game crashed, save game is corrupted.
Fuck that noize, I loved the game until then but there's no way I'm starting over.

Any way I can get a refund ?

baconcow

One question about the game. Playing on hard and don't understand the purpose of the "flee" action in combat. If I die, I get game over, and I am respawned with full HP and full mana and I have no apparent losses. It isn't that this reduces the difficulty of the game much, as you still need to fight to level up and this just reduces frustration of dying. Only level 10, playing couch coop and I find myself dying a lot (which is fine, since it is enjoyable). But, I cannot understand why someone would want to flee with partial HP and mana.

HORRORSHØW

One question about the game. Playing on hard and don't understand the purpose of the "flee" action in combat. If I die, I get game over, and I am respawned with full HP and full mana and I have no apparent losses. It isn't that this reduces the difficulty of the game much, as you still need to fight to level up and this just reduces frustration of dying. Only level 10, playing couch coop and I find myself dying a lot (which is fine, since it is enjoyable). But, I cannot understand why someone would want to flee with partial HP and mana.
the only time i would flee is if i don't get a "surprise attack." it is much quicker than dying and restarting.

baconcow

Grimløck;110524912 said:
the only time i would flee is if i don't get a "surprise attack." it is much quicker than dying and restarting.

Okay, that's what I figured. At lvl 10, it seems like I cannot handle 3 hyenas (or similar) without full magic and dying seems the best way to fill my HP and magic without wasting potions.

lt519

Just finished it up. Very fun battle system, great music, and beautiful game. Played all the way through on hard but had to go to normal for the final fight. I tried so many different strategies but they just hit to hard and fast. My characters could only survive 3 hits from the two little guys basic moves, I was constantly playing catch up and trying to buff/debuff and just couldn't get anywhere. I think I was severely under leveled coming in around the mid forties. Only died once on the other bosses and was able to come up with some good strategies for the second round but that final boss was a big spike.

Died quite a few times throughout the game on random encounters, especially if I got ambushed and was already weak.

K' Dash

This game is not a walk in the park on hard, maybe in the first few areas, but later on I've been getting my ass kicked, if not because I'm spamming potions all around to replenish MP, I would've died a lot, and that's the problem, you can't buy potions, you find them, I'm a little worried about what's comming, because I'm already packing not much variety as when I started, lol.

Opened a chest in the lowest of the low, game crashed, save game is corrupted.
Fuck that noize, I loved the game until then but there's no way I'm starting over.

Any way I can get a refund ?

Wow, that's fucked up, you didn't have any cloud saves?

This game is not a walk in the park on hard, maybe in the first few areas, but later on I've been getting my ass kicked, if not because I'm spamming potions all around to replenish MP, I would've died a lot, and that's the problem, you can't buy potions, you find them, I'm a little worried about what's comming, because I'm already packing not much variety as when I started, lol.

I've only had to use potions in 2 boss fights and it was because I was under leveled. Since then I've just taken some time exploring and fighting everything I come across while doing that. Haven't had any issues since on hard.

Started this on hard from casual perusing of the thread. It feels like it was the right call for sure; I'm definitely getting hurt.

I just beat the first boss, and the music for it was great.

nope. Im not even sure how those work.
I'm very angry.

Im not the only one either, judging from a quick google search.
On Ps4 btw.

Had my save corrupt on X1... Auto save icon became stuck on the screen when it happened. Restarted the system and it synced my save when starting the game. Only lost like 20 minutes of gameplay. I would assume it works similar on ps4?

K' Dash

I've only had to use potions in 2 boss fights and it was because I was under leveled. Since then I've just taken some time exploring and fighting everything I come across while doing that. Haven't had any issues since on hard.

I guess I'm a little rusty on the old school turn based combat RPG then.

I'm very angry.

On Ps4 btw.

if you have plus, your console should be uploading your saves to the cloud from time to time, you should try to sync with your cloud save.

Let us know if you can recover it.

Here:

PS4 Online Manual said:
Managing PS4 Save Data in Online Storage
To manage your PS4 Save Data in online storage, navigate to [Settings] > [Application Saved Data Management] > [Saved Data in Online Storage]. From there, you will find 2 options:

Download to System Storage

By saving PS4 Save Data to online storage, you can download saved data to a PS4 system and continue playing a game without losing your game progress. To use this feature, you must have a subscription to PlayStation Plus.

Here's the link: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5228/~/manage-ps4-save-game-data

Angelcurio

I have been playing it almost non-stop for the last six hours, and I haven't got bored. Really enjoying the game, to the point that I haven't logged on in FFXIV in the whole day.

Begaria

So I got into Chapter
, I haven't gotten a game over from a battle yet. Though I did get a game over AFTER a battle when I foolishly ran into a spiked wall and died from low health and not healing :p

Warning, wall of text incoming, TLDR version: Game's really good! I just wish it did a few things a little better here and there. Also, get ready to read "strategy" and "timing" a lot.

1. I'm playing on Hard/Expert so I can't compare anything to how Normal/Casual feels. I'm also playing the PC version.

2. The Grandia style combat is good, but it's missing a few nuances that really makes Grandia's combat special. These things include:

a) In Grandia, when an enemy is in the Act mode and they're charging up for an attack, if a characters gets into Act mode, you can see *which* character an enemy is targeting. This allows you to strategically time when to defend, when to attack to interupt, and when to heal. Child of Light does not do this. It does not show you whom the enemy is going to attack. It's guess work. I don't particularly like this.

b) In Grandia, you had two different physical attacks: combo and critical. Combo would stun your enemy on the Time Bar, but would not interupt them if they were in Act mode, but you'd deal more damage with more hits. Critical does a single hard hitting attack (but not as damaging as Combo) and interupts your enemy if they're in Act Mode. Certain skills in Grandia would also interupt enemies in Act Mode. This lent itself to strategically using combo/critical/skills to interupt enemies.

In Child of Light, any attack (physical or magic) will interupt an enemy in Act mode. It really streamlines the strategic element of the system. I don't mind this, but it's just not as complex as I'd like it to be compared to Grandia.

c) In Grandia, your characters have a movement range and you would have to time your attacks and gauge the distance between you and the enemy you were attacking (similar to Lunar - same team, remember?). Again, this added another layer of strategy to the combat system that's just not there in Child of Light. In Child of Light, you just stand in place, so there's simply not that element of strategy in the combat.

d) Still, despite those grievances, the combat is good in Child of Light, and playing on Hard means I have to fully utilize Igniculus' slow down effect, juggling between enemies on the fly, turning it on and off to allow enemies into Act mode to interupt them (very good strategy there). I like how every attack and spell has a Timer on it (Short/Medium/Long/Very Long) so you know when to use those skills. The combat is just at the right pace for me, and while I've read some people say the battles are too long, I don't find this to be the case. I'm utilizing elemental weaknesses to their fullest extent when I find them, and using buffs and defbuffs even during random battles which can make a HUGE difference.

3. Some reviewers complained about getting a point to spend during level ups and leveling up so fast that doing so interrupts the flow of the gameplay. I know some people prefer just to have the game give you everything upon level up, but I'm the kind of player who does like to have some customization to his characters. Being able to choose to be more of a spellcaster with Aurora, or a physical fighter, or a mix of both with those three paths is intriguing to me.

4. I've seen some people complain that party switching can get out of hand with the amount of party members you get in the game. Again, a non issue (mostly, see below) for me, as this does add more strategy to the battles as everyone is good at least one or two things.

5. The world is gorgeuous, the music is pretty, the animation is fantastically fluid. I'm digging the storybook-type story, and Aurora is a fantastic protagonist. I love exploring this world. Speaking of which...

6. Exploration is great! Zipping around areas, looking for Stardusts, treasures, and Confessions is fun for me. I love exploring and boy does this game have a good amount of exploration to do. Some of the exploration also entails environmental dodging like in a platformer - avoiding spikey vines, traps, dealing with timed wind gusts, etc. It's good stuff.

7. So everyone has their role to play in combat and you can switch between them to utilize their strengths and negate weaknesses. That's cool! That's strategic. However.

Why do I have like 50 potions that can do the exact same thing?

Seriously, these status potions slightly negate the need to switch out to a different party member sometimes. Oh, sure, that one party member gets those neat buffs and his Extend Spell passive means his buffs will always outshine any of the potions. However, I still feel it takes away a bit from the strategic elements of switching out to a different party member when I can just use a potion to slow down an enemy or increase my damage.

8. Speaking of potions, there is one potion that will completely restore Igniculus' meter. I've used a grand total of one of them so far, mainly because I view them as taking away from the challenge, on top of being almost unncessary if you're playing correctly. Again, this counteracts having to rely on the Wish flowers in battles, since if you use them up (and they haven't revived), you can just use a potion and BAM, full meter. I've got something like 25 of these potions now.

9. One thing that the game throws at you in battles starting at the 1/4 point is that some enemies will counter with certain things. Some enemies will counter if physically attacks, magically attacked, or if they're interupted. This adds a lot of strategy to the timing element of the bar, and makes it mandatory to switch characters on the fly if an enemy shouldn't be damage by physical or magical attacks. I've seen simple damaging counter attacks from enemies, to enemies healing themselves, or inflicting status ailments on me.

10. Speaking of status ailments: bravo Ubisoft for making every status buff and status ailment effective in a JRPG. This is one of the very few RPGs I've played where EVERYthing is important to use. The best thing is that it all has 100% hit rates, so there's never missing a status ailment application. You absolutely need to slow down enemies, getting paralyzing on, or get defensive buffs on your party members on hard mode, even during random encounters.

11. I really like the Oculi equipping and crafting. It's pretty simple to use, but there's a lot of neat effects you can equip yourself. Everything from increasing Speed through Diamonds (VERY useful) to increasing your elemental resistances. It's good stuff.

12. Full HP/MP restoration on level gains. Full xp distribution to all party members even they weren't used in combat. Awesome stuff that every RPG ever made should do, but they don't, and I really appreciate when one comes along that does both.

13. The MP pools on the characters is a bit low for my liking, but you do replenish that mp pool quite quickly through leveling and flowers, so it's not a deal breaker.

And I rambled on again. Dammit. Sorry everyone! I get like this when I find a game I really like and feel compelled to just analyze the hell out of it.

Soma

Been playing this on and off for a few hours since yesterday. Enjoying it quite a bit so far!

The art and characters are full of charm and the battle system is surprisingly engaging. The constant rhyming... yeah I could take or leave it but it's nowhere near a gamebreaker for me. It kinda fits the whole "storybook" theme going on but it really needed to be implemented better. I knew next to nothing about the game going into this but the addition of party members was also a very welcome surprise for me (I just assumed Aurora was gonna be the only playable character for the entire game lol).

Really digging the music too. The song that plays during the first boss fight reminds me of something straight out of a Souls game. (early game spoilers)

Ape

Banned
Can I gift the stones to someone on my friends list if they have the 360 version and I have the Xbox One version?

12. Full HP/MP restoration on level gains. Full xp distribution to all party members even they weren't used in combat. Awesome stuff that every RPG ever made should do, but they don't, and I really appreciate when one comes along that does both.

The full restoration when leveling is silly when you level up every two or three fights. It means that you rarely need to worry about healing or MP when fighting regular enemies, and you have more items than you can find a use for and so many party members to swap in and out, so resource management is never an issue in the game. They should have kept the restoration on leveling limited to casual difficulty.

damn...i really loved this game. I was excited to talk to my other friend who got...he said he already dropped the game. He hated the art, dialogue, battle system and literally everything about the game. This was probably my goty so far

K' Dash

The full restoration when leveling is silly when you level up every two or three fights. It means that you rarely need to worry about healing or MP when fighting regular enemies, and you have more items than you can find a use for and so many party members to swap in and out, so resource management is never an issue in the game. They should have kept the restoration on leveling limited to casual difficulty.

Are you playing on hard? cause the Heal HP/MP on level up is a Godsend for me, there's no way to buy potions in this game and even if you can heal Aurora with igniculus, you can't do that with the other party members, besides that, I'm saving potions for bosses and mini bosses, I'm thankful I don't have to use the potions to heal my party after a few battles.

Are you playing on hard? cause the Heal HP/MP on level up is a Godsend for me, there's no way to buy potions in this game and even if you can heal Aurora with igniculus, you can't do that with the other party members, besides that, I'm saving potions for bosses and mini bosses, I'm thankful I don't have to use the potions to heal my party after a few battles.

I played it on hard. The game throws so many ways of healing at you and so many party members that I found it nearly impossible for a character to die unless I just wasn't paying attention to their HP. It's not like the enemies do enough damage to quickly take down characters unexpectedly. You don't need to buy items when there are so many to be found in the world.

Just beat the game on hard. Was fun and addictive. Got error messages like 5-6 different times on PS4 but nothing ever corrupted...just had to log back into the game.

Finished all the assignments. Missing a few coffers in the sea and the forest got them all in the plains and the mountain tops. Looked everywhere but I assume those are behind the locked doors and can only be gotten in New Game +? Speaking of NG+ what's the deal with that? Are there different endings, harder bosses, new areas?

The mage is the most overpowered character in the game.

Was expecting a bit more from the ending and the few plot twists in the game were seen from a mile away. But the tale was still fun.

Think I had some characters above 50 when I beat it but the ones I was using were in the high 40s.

My only real issue with this game is I can't change auroras dress despite getting a dlc with the physical version that gives you the dark dress

tlstls

Banned
I'm very angry.

On Ps4 btw.

The same happened to me, the game is buggy as hell, I *won* five crashes, two of then in a row, got my save file corrupted (lucky I got plus auto-upload on so I got a early save), anyway I started to manually backup my save every now and then to an USB drive, lucky by doing this I avoided another corruption of my save file, thumbs down to Ubisoft, on this shit port.

My only real issue with this game is I can't change auroras dress despite getting a dlc with the physical version that gives you the dark dress

Go back to the Menu where you select "Continue", "New Game", and go to Options, there go to the section where the dress is and select with R1 or L1 the dress you want, press O and Continue, you should be with the new costume.

Got the missing coffers and stardust I was missing and fought a mini boss I missed. I have now officially completed the game. Should I start up a new game+ or farm gems?

Oh yeah, my characters were 47/48 when I beat the game with the last character 50. Think I used 3 of them in the final battle.

Top Bottom