• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

Robin64

Not sure if I should choose PS3 or Wii U. Leaning towards the latter, though, because Miiverse and "Use the Wii U GamePad to write messages in light for other players to find". Whatever that means. Guessing it's a bit like Deus Ex DC

Lunzio

While I normally am not a fan of Gies, I think it should be stated that criticizing scores before even playing the game (based on our own personal hype) is rather silly.

suedester

Banned
While I normally am not a fan of Geis, I think it should be stated that criticizing scores before even playing the game (based on our own personal hype) is rather silly.

Not when it is Gies it's not. his opinion is wrong on almost everything, it is quite a feat.

jacobeid

Banned
A 6.5 from Gies doesn't steer me away from a day one purchase.

no review will steer me away from a day one purchase.

From the Polygon Review:

I finished Aurora's tale wanting more, wondering what might be there below the surface that Ubisoft Montreal is content to only scratch. That's the problem with Child of Light, ultimately. It's a beautiful, familiar trip evoking stories I've heard and places I've imagined before. But it's all so ephemeral — less than a day after finishing it, I can already feel my memories of my time in Lemuria and the characters I met there drifting away.

Um what? at the bolded. How pretentious of you Gies.

Can someone explain to me the legitimate reasoning behind embargoes? The cynic in me has already answered this, but I was curious as to the publishers perspective.

bigkrev

While I normally am not a fan of Gies, I think it should be stated that criticizing scores before even playing the game (based on our own personal hype) is rather silly.

If it were anyone but Arthur Gies, Id agree with you

""There's a way to switch other party members into a fight in medias res, but it's cumbersome, and ultimately doesn't add much strategy."

I....um....disagree with this strongly.

"There's a way to switch other party members into a fight in medias res, but it's cumbersome, and ultimately doesn't add much strategy."

This comment alone discounts Polygon's entire review.

I don't know about Normal mode, but on Hard mode, you have to use party swapping extensively, even on non-boss battles. It's literally, the key to doing well at the game.

Also, swapping party members is literally, "Press Up once, Press A, Select Party Member." That's one more button press than FFX (which has a dedicated party swap button) but it's hardly cumbersome.

Tizoc

MY PC DELUXE EDITION HAS SHIPPED!
E-mailed Ubi in the hopes of getting a Steam key, wish me luck guys XO.

bigkrev

Can someone explain to me the legitimate reasoning behind embargoes? The cynic in me has already answered this, but I was curious as to the publishers perspective.

So everyone has a chance to actually play the game and write a well-written review. If there were no embargos, it would be a race to finish the game fastest or just write a review based on the first couple hours of a game, because having the first review of something is worth a lot of money in pageclicks

jcm

The idea is that reviewers will be able to take their time with the game, rather than rushing through it in order to be first to post. In theory it ought to produce better reviews. In practice, it's frequently used to prevent bad reviews from coming out before the game launches.

Edit: bigkrev, the embargo on the answer to his question was 11:17 am.

Gaz_RB

Review are a form of marketing. Publishers like to be in control of when that marketing occurs, and it is their prerogative.

From a publishers point of view I can think of two distinct reasons.

1) Control when information about your game is made available widely. Prior to a review, the publisher controls just what is available to the public, thus the message is easily manipulated. An early review could be a great thing or something that destroys your game.

I think this reason is less important than number 2.

2) If an embargo is imposed on a review, then there is no "rush" to print. A review can spend an adequate, though not usually ideal, amount of time with a game and craft an appropriate review without fear of being beaten to press.

Oppo

""There's a way to switch other party members into a fight in medias res, but it's cumbersome, and ultimately doesn't add much strategy."

hahaha, Polygon editors, what crack are you smoking. you can practucally hear the monocle being adjusted as you read that.

just maybe, the reach for latin here is ill-conceived, and the message might have been better served by simply writing "in the midst of things"... but what do I know

DeviantBoi

I was going to pre-order, but now I'm going to wait.

If not Child of Light, then something out of that amazing sale for Golden Week.

Lucifon

That's pretty much what I expected. I guess I'll pass on this game.

Also cancelled my preorder, got so much to play at the moment I'm not too fussed about playing it day one if it's not spectacular. If the overall opinion from other reviews seems to be much more positive then I can easily reorder :)

hahaha, Polygon editors, what crack are you smoking. you can practucally hear the monocle being adjusted as you read that.

just maybe, the reach for latin here is ill-conceived, and the message might have been better served by simply writing "in the midst of things"... but what do I know

Yeah, in medias res refers to story/plot. Lol.

"The game lacks depth."
"But sir, you're playing on the easiest mode. There's lots of depth over here with the crafting system & swapping characters in and out extensively to take advantage of the ebb & flow of combat..."
"Nope, game lacks depth. 6.5/10!"

Credibility is lost when a reviewer does not discuss the level of difficulty the game was played on. Game length and strategic depth cannot be commented on with any sort of validity if the game was played on normal (which unfortunately is the modern day equivalent of easy/hamstringed mode).

To be fair, that's the point of reviews.

maybe i'm just different but I have never let a single review of any game ever sway me one way or another on what game I willl or won't play. If I had I would never have played Kessen or Dynasty Warriors for example.

The point i'm making is, the only opinion that should matter is your own.

The fact you are disappointed by another person's purchasing decision is insane.

you completely missed the point I was making, look to above

Top Bottom