• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

Does that crappy website decide for you what game is good or not?

I'm not familiar with the English-speaking gaming press but I think gaming websites give too generous scores in general (It's like they have a quota of good scores to fulfill and they're afraid of being 'mean' or critical). As a result I don't really pay much attention to scores when they're good but if they are less than good I consider it a bad sign. Anyway, I have read the whole review (because scores alone are worthless) and my impression from it is that the story is superficial so yeah, I'm not tempted to buy the game. More reviews are always welcome, of course.

nynt9

To be fair, that's the point of reviews.

That's the point of reviewS. One review is too small of a sample size to make a decision. Even if it's a person you always agree with (unlikely), they can have an odd opinion about one particular thing from time to time.

Dr Dogg

hahaha, Polygon editors, what crack are you smoking. you can practucally hear the monocle being adjusted as you read that.

just maybe, the reach for latin here is ill-conceived, and the message might have been better served by simply writing "in the midst of things"... but what do I know

Yeah for sure. A more correct use would be to describe entry into the scene when disusing narrative with no prior knowledge of events past (for example the start of Fight Club or Uncharted 2) not just in the middle of combat.

That's pretty much what I expected. I guess I'll pass on this game.

*phillipjfry.png*

Before you make your decision, I would wait until at least a few more reviews start popping up until you form your decision. From the impressions I've heard, this game is supposed to be a great one just like Ubisoft's other "AAA" digital downloads.

And after reading what Gies wrote before it was pulled down, I wouldn't go along with anything what that man wrote.

bigkrev

I'm not familiar with the English-speaking gaming press but I think gaming websites give too generous scores in general (It's like they have a quota of good scores to fulfill and they're afraid of being 'mean' or critical). As a result I don't really pay much attention to scores when they're good but if they are less than good I consider it a bad sign. Anyway, I have read the whole review (because scores alone are worthless) and my impression from it is that the story is superficial so yeah, I'm not tempted to buy the game. More reviews are always welcome, of course.

EvilLore has called Gies "One of the most Disreputable people in the industry (of reviewing games)". You should not be taking his scores seriously, and, based on the posts of Robert and Seda, probably not taking the text of the review seriously either

dex3108

There's Normal & Hard. He played Normal mode & then complained that he didn't have to use the gameplay systems much. No duh, that's the whole point of Normal mode.

Almost every review is based on playthrough on normal mode because majority of players will be playing game on normal. But complete review should cover all modes.

Wereroku

i only recall there being normal and hard difficulty options

seems like he played on normal and just didnt like it a whole lot

More he played it like FFX without ever switching parties with the justification that its too cumbersome to use 2 buttons. Yes if you never use an important battle mechanic that adds depth to the battle system it may cause the battle system to lack depth.

There's Normal & Hard. He played Normal mode & then complained that he didn't have to use the gameplay systems much. No duh, that's the whole point of Normal mode.
It really sounds like they should have used the Beginner/Advanced terminology instead of Normal/Hard.

Almost every review is based on playthrough on normal mode because majority of players will be playing game on normal. But complete review should cover all modes.

This. Sounds like they may have made it a bit too easy on normal though as far as the combat goes.

Nestunt

We disagree on this one =)

I am of the opinion that a well designed game creates a natural flow towards its systems, regardless of its difficulty. Less or different obstacles should not generate exploits in well designed games. And the systems should not only arise when in need but as an identity mechanic of the game

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds more like what Easy is usually for. If you don't need the gameplay systems much on Normal, something is wrong.

That's pretty much what I expected. I guess I'll pass on this game.

You believe a guy who probably sits there and looked at it(or maybe even played it) for like 10 minutes and thinks "Isnt deep enough...."

Polygon is like the worst gamer website ever when it comes to reviews. Its clickbait².

cackhyena

We disagree on this one =)

I am of the opinion that a well designed game creates a natural flow towards its systems, regardless of its difficulty. Less or different obstacles should not generate exploits in well designed games. And the systems should not only arise when in need but as an identity mechanic of the game
Exactly.

Silvawuff

Preordered! I think this game will be a treat, regardless of the review spectrum.

(GAF user impressions trump any review site, anyway!)

It seems though more games use normal mode as as easy. I myself tend to choose the highest difficulty just for this reason alone. Games don't seem to be as challenging anymore.

It seems though more games use normal mode as as easy. I myself tend to choose the highest difficulty just for this reason alone. Games don't seem to be as challenging anymore.

Yeah. The worst games are those where Hard is like easy and you need to play it to unlock Hardcore mode or something.

I hope this game doesnt have it.

Lijik

hahaha, Polygon editors, what crack are you smoking. you can practucally hear the monocle being adjusted as you read that.

just maybe, the reach for latin here is ill-conceived, and the message might have been better served by simply writing "in the midst of things"... but what do I know

Not gonna lie, I tend to think of the phrase in media res first when im trying to describe something like that. Not sure why, I dont even think of it as a latin phrase when I do it.

Really?
It is normal. I should be able to use 90% if not all of the gameplay systems.

You can use all of the gameplay systems on Normal. This is more like the common RPG issue of "Well, I can beat the game just selecting Fight 99% of the time because I grinded all my characters up to twice the recommended LV instead of learning how to properly play."

Using the game's system is completely different from difficulty.
Yes, but it gets watered down for those who don't comprehend the mechanics of the battle system. Like I said, I just.noticed a trend with current games. Normal=easy, hard = normal etc.. Perhaps to help everyone enjoy the game, I don't know. I just know if I am easily getting through I lost interest, I am not being rewarded for my efforts.

Vinc

Just to make sure, we're allowed to post our reviews in these threads or is that frowned upon? I've seen people do it, but I've also seen people say it was frowned upon... I don't wanna get banned! :p Thanks in advance to anyone who knows :)

Edit: Ah well there we go! I'll post it in the review thread.

LTWood12

maybe i'm just different but I have never let a single review of any game ever sway me one way or another on what game I willl or won't play. If I had I would never have played Kessen or Dynasty Warriors for example.

The point i'm making is, the only opinion that should matter is your own.

You make a good point. For me, a single review will only sway me one way or the other if I have a history of agreeing with the reviewer on previous games after playing them myself. And even then I'll still sometimes decide to take the plunge.

With so many games to play, a finite amount of time to play them in, & a budget to consider; I only meant that reviews help me make choices when I'm unsure.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Just to make sure, we're allowed to post our reviews in these threads or is that frowned upon? I've seen people do it, but I've also seen people say it was frowned upon... I don't wanna get banned! :p Thanks in advance to anyone who knows :)
I didn't see the review thread when I posted, otherwise I wouldn't have done it.

Seda

It's fine to post a quick link to your review within the thread.

Here's mine --> http://www.rpgsite.net/review/3512-child-of-light-review

In short: Normal mode does the game a huge disservice. Play on Hard.

cackhyena

life is easier when you simply say whatever it is you want to say as opposed to constantly making passive aggressive one liners to everyone...
Thanks for the life advice. You want me to engage with a person who says another's opinion is always wrong, and others who insist it's something more than the fact that the reviewer didn't find enough to like about it? Why exactly? Someone already covered the complaint that if he isn't playing on Hard, he's not seeing all there is, mechanics wise. It's not a good argument for a game. I'm good.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Honestly, I'm kind or surprised on how many people seem to need reviews to decide on this game.

Even if the game isn't perfect, I know I want more games like this. Presentation, all those "making of" videos, the general love behind it's systems, the low pricepoint, the fact it's avoiding the ususal "Next Gen Tax"... those are great reasons to feel safe with a purchase.

Then you add the Co-Op play, a nice mix of the best of 2D sidescroll puzzle solving and Grandia-inspired combat, and a world and tone that reminds me instantly of those old days of PS2 "we make more than just Final Fantasies!" Squeenix, and the game is soundly lodged into "Purchase and love immediately" category.

I could understand the trepidation if this was a $40 ~$60 purchase, but it's such a small commitment. My biggest concern is wondering if all this beauty and depth is padded content that has 5~ish hours of real quality, stretched longer just to impress and hit "length = value" bulletpoints. Most signs make that seem nearly impossible, however...

Top Bottom