• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

Aaaaand subbed. Just gotta survive my last calculus exam tomorrow and then it's smooth sailing until this launches.

Have Microsoft Excel sit in for you on exam so you can devote all mental resources to contemplating how sweet this game could/might be

Unless there were any derp level errors in Algebra, I got a 110 on the exam today. I'll know tomorrow. Fuck yeah. NOW it's time to contemplate how sweet this game is GOING to be.

Eusis

probably because eu/uk pay more for the game than us, so they can take the risk of cross-buy
Ah, yeah, that'd make sense. Still kind of annoying though.
The two are going to be indistinguishable unless your monitor's native resolution is above 1080p, but thinking forward, with the PC there's the backwards compatibility factor -- if you want to revisit the game down the line you just have to load it up through Uplay/Steam whereas on the console side you may need to plug in the superseded PS4.
On the other hand there is double dipping, and we know sales WILL come. I suppose it depends on whether you want to save a relatively small amount in the long run or if you really want to play something on the PS4, and even if the former is more logical I really can't deny the appeal of the latter at this point.

Only a couple hours in (got an advance copy), but so far, it's really good. Combat is simple but has some depth to it with the Grandia interrupts, party swapping ala FFX, and your pseudo-3rd party member, the firefly (who can slow enemies and regen life). Decent difficulty level on Hard mode. There's a simple but fun LV-Up system (put points into 1 of 3 paths for stat bonuses, passives, abilities, and upgrades), and likewise there's a gem crafting/equipment system where each gem gives a different bonus depending on which slot you place it in. Dialogue has a fun sing-song quality to it. And of course, the visuals are quite pretty.

Anyway, I've just started but if it keeps up this level of quality, it's an easy recommendation.

Dice//

Banned
Only a couple hours in (got an advance copy), but so far, it's really good. Combat is simple but has some depth to it with the Grandia interrupts, party swapping ala FFX, and your pseudo-3rd party member, the firefly (who can slow enemies and regen life). Decent difficulty level on Hard mode. There's a simple but fun LV-Up system (put points into 1 of 3 paths for stat bonuses, passives, abilities, and upgrades), and likewise there's a gem crafting/equipment system where each gem gives a different bonus depending on which slot you place it in. Dialogue has a fun sing-song quality to it. And of course, the visuals are quite.

Anyway, I've just started but if it keeps up this level of quality, it's an easy recommendation.

My eyes kinda sparkled while reading early impressions. I'mma hope to be enjoyin this 'ere soon.

Thanks for the mini-preview

Only a couple hours in (got an advance copy), but so far, it's really good. Combat is simple but has some depth to it with the Grandia interrupts, party swapping ala FFX, and your pseudo-3rd party member, the firefly (who can slow enemies and regen life). Decent difficulty level on Hard mode. There's a simple but fun LV-Up system (put points into 1 of 3 paths for stat bonuses, passives, abilities, and upgrades), and likewise there's a gem crafting/equipment system where each gem gives a different bonus depending on which slot you place it in. Dialogue has a fun sing-song quality to it. And of course, the visuals are quite pretty.

Thanks for the impressions but damn you for making the wait harder. Definitely starting on the highest difficulty available at the start.

So far, the second character seems really powerful compared to the main character or the third character (according to the achievements list, there's several other playable characters I haven't gotten yet). Gameplay analysis spoilers:

Second character has the highest speed so far, the best HP/defense, healing magic, and good physical attacks if you upgrade them that way (as opposed to improving their defense/healing further). Only downside is a lack of attack magic.

In contrast, the third character is an attack mage with low MP (hope that gets fixed with enough LV-Ups) & the main character is a jack-of-all-trades-master-of none who seems to lean more towards magic than physical techniques so far (her physical attacks have a slower charge than the other character's attacks).

I guess I'm just surprised that the healer in the party is also essentially a tank and a ninja. Although maybe that character just starts out good and then starts to lag behind later in the game.

Oh and for what it's worth, I'm playing the XBO version. Haven't noticed any technical issues, but then again, I'm not the kind of person who really notices framerate unless it drops into the single digits.

I recently became aware of the existence of this game. It seems very promising. The only thing that stops me from preordering is the fact that I keep reading posts of people that mention that it has been written by the writer of Far Cry 3.
I'm sure that the guy is very talented, and it will surely demonstrate his worth in his future endeavior, but I just remember the plot of FC3 being a complete mess, with terrible characters with poor motivations (except the brief parts with the trippin' doctor), and a super nasty brat as a protagonist. The game was super fun but it was no shakespeare.

antitrop

I recently became aware of the existence of this game. It seems very promising. The only thing that stops me from preordering is the fact that I keep reading posts of people that mention that it has been written by the writer of Far Cry 3.
I'm sure that the guy is very talented, and it will surely demonstrate his worth in his future endeavior, but I just remember the plot of FC3 being a complete mess, with terrible characters with poor motivations (except the brief parts with the trippin' doctor), and a super nasty brat as a protagonist. The game was super fun but it was no shakespeare.
Far Cry 3's story is an abomination. This interview is particularly damning: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/far-cry-3s-jeffrey-yohalem-on-racism-torture-and-satire/

I'm willing to give second chances, though.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Just wanted to mention I got the latest issue of the Swedish gaming mag LEVEL today, Child of Light recieved a 9/10.

Oh dear. I shouldn't have read that interview. Oh well, hopefully Child of Light turns out to be great especially after the "hope for the industry" stuff at the end of the interview

kcurlsjr

Neo Member
On Ps4, Is there a companion tablet app that the co op player can use to control the firefly or is it just using the dualshock 4?

pakkit

Banned
Wow, didn't realize just how Quebecois this game was (the gameplay, the music, the sound effects). Seems like it'll really be something different.

Yes, but like Final Fantasy X, you can swap characters in and out instantly in battle so it's not as bad as it sounds. Plus the wisp kind of feels like an additional half of a character too.

Thanks, thats good at least. I'd have rather had a nice 3 person party though. As a follow up, are the party members diverse? Are there any actual warrior type characters or is it all more storybook/nice/creature type stuff?

Thanks, thats good at least. I'd have rather had a nice 3 person party though. As a follow up, are the party members diverse? Are there any actual warrior type characters or is it all more storybook/nice/creature type stuff?

So far it's been just fairy tale-esque characters. Based on the achievements, I believe there are 7-8 ally characters. I only have the first 2. Gameplay/character spoilers:

Aurora is your typical jack-of-all-trades main character. So far, she's the only character to learn light-element spells.

First ally you get is a jester. She's kind of like a paladin as far as gameplay goes - high HP, Defense, and Magic Defense, plus heal spells. She's also faster than any of my characters so far and deals good physical damage. Downside is she has no magic attacks.

Second character you get is a dwarf. He's a very straightforward offensive mage-type. Fire, water, and lightning magic and he has a passive that boosts offensive magic damage. He starts slower than the other 2 characters but he has some speed stat up spots in his level up grid.

So far it's been just fairy tale-esque characters. Based on the achievements, I believe there are 7-8 ally characters. I only have the first 2.

Does everyone get xp after a battle or only the people who land an attack? Trying to keep 7 to 8 people at level parity could get tiring. Edit: Just realized since you only have two characters you wouldn't know yet. Oops :(

Does everyone get xp after a battle or only the people who land an attack? Trying to keep 7 to 8 people at level parity could get tiring. Edit: Just realized since you only have two characters you wouldn't know yet. Oops :(

Actually, I have three characters (main + 2 allies). Not sure since I quit for the night right after getting the second ally, but I just sent over an email to one of the developers so we'll see what he says. :)

Oh dear. I shouldn't have read that interview. Oh well, hopefully Child of Light turns out to be great especially after the "hope for the industry" stuff at the end of the interview

I'm not too worried; it doesn't seem like the story's very complex to begin with. I think the director's going with a simpler approach and they (hopefully) will keep the writer reigned in.

Just got confirmation from one of the devs that everyone receives XP. He specifically mentioned how annoying FFX's method was (where if you wanted maximum XP, you needed to sub in everyone and make sure they defend).

Exalted

Just got confirmation from one of the devs that everyone receives XP. He specifically mentioned how annoying FFX's method was (where if you wanted maximum XP, you needed to sub in everyone and make sure they defend).
Good to hear that, always hated that in rpgs (looking at you pokemon). It means you can use everyone, and not only pick one , and stick with him for best efficiency.

XJF

Holy shit! Totally forgot this game came out so soon... Definitely can't wait to play this. Looks Stunning!

splattered

Super excited for this one... just got my reward for the "Buy $49 in games get $20 back" promotion Xbox was running on the dashboard. Can't wait to turn right back around and give it back to them for this game :p

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
The story of Princess Aurora's death and reincarnation in a strange land is told through watercolour visuals and poetry. She can fly, so exploring the 2D world of Lemuria takes you effortlessly from the depths of wells and subterranean caves to the very tops of trees. Sadly its semi-real time combat lacks the complexity to make it interesting and its poetry (which extends to dialogue, plot exposition and Aurora's asides) is so unutterably terrible that as soon as a subtitle appears you'll be bracing yourself for more jarring, punishment-grade doggerel.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/26/child-of-light-review

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
A 90-word review? I'm not saying what he said isn't true, but I think I'll wait for a more comprehensive review before I even think about making any judgement calls on this game.

Of course, I could always buy it and make my own mind up, but what kind of crazy person does that?

The Guardian have been getting worse with things like that. When they try, some of their reviews are genuinely interesting and enlightening, but I think their five-star review of Ground Zeroes was about a paragraph long as well. Don't even think they realise that the review embargo doesn't lift until Monday.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is this the first completely multiplatform title of the next gen?

That honour would go to Black Flag, I believe:

October 29th: PS3, X360 and Wii U
November 15th: PS4
November 19th: PC
November 22nd: X1

Seda

I'm going to bounce off Robert's comments here. It took a while for the combat to really become engaging, but once I had a pool of party members (I have Aurora and four others so far), each with different skills, it became more enjoyable. I strongly recommend playing on Hard Mode. There are many things the game does to make things easier on yourself that Normal is simply too easy, such as many 'free' health and MP pickups, and it's very easy to get preemptive strikes in most battles. Before I switched a few chapters in, I had collected many HP/MP/revive items that I never needed to use a single one. (yes you can switch difficulty mid-game)

You only get two party members out at a time but because swapping has no penalty I end up using them whenever I need one of their abilities. Unlike some games where in-battle participants get more EXP, everyone gets the same amount so there's no reason just to stick to a certain pair. Even though she's the main character, you can swap out Aurora if she is getting low on HP or if there's simply another character better suited for whatever. The battle system is very much Grandia except you get your firefly (controlled by the right stick) who can slow down any individual enemy in 'real time'. So you have a little more control over the enemy's placement on the timeline allowing a bit more control over interrupting. You can change battle speeds too although at the fastest speed it is practically impossible to set up interrupts.

Different characters have different roles. There's the typical mage character suited to exploiting weaknesses and a fast character great for interrupting. There is also a character whose role is mostly for this game's version of Haste/Slow, and although this character doesn't deal much damage at all these abilities are incredibly useful at times.

The gem crafting is pretty simplistic, right now I am crafting EXP+ gems for most of my party, but you can also use them to manipulate elemental advantages and whatnot. Each character's skill tree is essentially three paths. Along the paths are stat ups and passive skills. What differentiates each 'path' is one of the character's 'active' abilities which will have boosts thrown along that path. For example, the mage dwarf character, you can focus on sending him down one path to power up one of his elemental spells, or you can spend points to send him down the paths more evenly to power up his elemental abilities. This is also very simple so don't expect to be able to finely customize characters too much.

In terms of non-battle gameplay, you basically explore in the (beautiful) 2D landscape looking for chests, crafting gems, stat up items (these are scattered everywhere), or consumables. There are some puzzles too but so far nothing that takes more than a few seconds to solve.

I'm enjoying it, but it took a few chapters and setting the difficulty to Hard to really appreciate the battle system.

I'm playing on Wii U and it runs well so far. The pad doesn't add anything though, all it can do is use the touch screen to control the firefly but it's easier to use the right stick for that.

Haven't been keeping track of this game, but it looks beautiful.

Also, I think it may be common knowledge to some, but it seems like we see Aurora grow up in the game. That's so cool.

The Guardian have been getting worse with things like that. When they try, some of their reviews are genuinely interesting and enlightening, but I think their five-star review of Ground Zeroes was about a paragraph long as well. Don't even think they realise that the review embargo doesn't lift until Monday.

It's ripped straight from their Saturday supplement which is a booklet of roughly A5 size. Their games reviewer covers three or more games a week with a tiny word count for each. It's fine in the mag, but when it's put online it naturally looks a little thin.

(Also, The Guardian published one of the best Ground Zeroes reviews I read - a much longer piece by Rich Stanton, who's a great writer.)

There is also a character whose role is mostly for this game's version of Haste/Slow, and although this character doesn't deal much damage at all these abilities are incredibly useful at times.

That's my favorite character so far (I just got the 4th ally so I'm probably pretty close to where you're at). Not only are the Haste/Slow spells really useful but also she
has a chance to paralyze with her physical attacks and her passive essentially permanently shortens her time bar.

Sadly its semi-real time combat lacks the complexity to make it interesting and its poetry (which extends to dialogue, plot exposition and Aurora's asides) is so unutterably terrible that as soon as a subtitle appears you'll be bracing yourself for more jarring, punishment-grade doggerel.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the dialogue, but the combat has plenty of complexity on Hard mode once you get more party members. Some of these fights have been quite close and have involved extensive party & time bar manipulation.

Top Bottom