• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China is spending $361 billion dollars into renewable energy projects by 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry113

Banned
http://www.motherjones.com/environm...ns-dollars-new-renewable-energy-projects-2020

President-elect Donald Trump has called climate change a hoax created by the Chinese. The Chinese disagree—and are pumping billions of dollars' worth of investments into green energy over the next three years.

On Thursday, Reuters published details of the latest installment of China's plans to break its deadly use of coal, an addiction that makes it the world's worst greenhouse gas emitter.

The funds—$361 billion by 2020—are designed to create 13 million green jobs, according to the country's National Energy Administration. New projects such as solar, wind, hydro, and nuclear power will form half of all new electricity generation by 2020 and will create the energy equivalent to 580 metric tons of coal.

The announcement matches China's past pledges to kick its coal habit—the fuel that dominates its electricity production and creates heartburn for the country's leaders, as the public's angry reaction to foul air becomes a major political threat. Despite China's so-called "war on pollution," this week brought yet another toxic "airpolcalypse" to Beijing's skies. Watch this incredible time-lapse video of the smog rolling into town:

China has been pulling out all stops to create a clean-tech revolution. Last year, a Chinese firm topped a reputable global ranking for wind energy production for the first time, beating America's General Electric. China already leads the world in solar. (Go inside a massive Chinese solar factory with me, here.) China is also on track to peak and then begin to taper its greenhouse gas emissions around 2025—five years ahead of a promise made by its leader, Xi Jinping, in November 2014, as part of China's historic deal with the United States. This year, China will launch the world's biggest national carbon trading market.

But China is on the verge of losing its major global partner in these endeavors. Trump has promised to end America's role in the Paris climate agreement and cancel contributions to UN climate programs. He has also tapped pro-fossil-fuel and anti-regulation types, including some unapologetic climate change deniers, for top positions in the new administration. For example, as Oklahoma attorney general, Scott Pruitt has repeatedly sued the Environmental Protection Agency—which Trump wants him to lead.

There are also Trump's new anti-China trade hawks, including outspoken China critic Peter Navarro, who advocates a much more adversarial approach, including a controversial 40-plus percent tariff on Chinese imports, potentially ratcheting up tension between the two global giants even before Inauguration Day on January 20.

China has issued unusually blunt warnings to Trump and US leaders if they abandon international efforts to combat climate change—while saying they'll act alone if necessary. "If they resist this trend, I don't think they'll win the support of their people," said China's longtime climate negotiator Xie Zhenhua before the November election. "And their country's economic and social progress will also be affected."

The USA needs to collaborate with China to curb carbon emissions - now more than ever - if we as a species are to have a standing chance at mitigating the worst potential effects of climate change. If it's true that this plan by China can create 13 million new green jobs, then the Trump administration has an opportunity to deliver on his promise of bringing jobs back to the people by similarly jump-starting a national investment into renewable energy infrastructure.

Usobuko

Banned
The undisputed superpower and leader of this world instead choose to be at the mercy of oil/commodities lobbyist.

Thanks USA.

tuxfool

Banned
[The USA needs to collaborate with China to curb carbon emissions - now more than ever - if we as a species are to have a standing chance at mitigating the worst potential effects of climate change. If it's true that this plan by China can create 13 million new green jobs, then the Trump administration has an opportunity to deliver on his promise of bringing jobs back to the people by similarly jump-starting a national investment into renewable energy infrastructure.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Do you think these people use reason, when developing policy?

LordKasual

Banned
Well, if anyone needs it, it's certainly them

too bad this country doesn't give a shit about being awesome energy pioneers

Lol, China is gonna best us in renewable energy....maybe Donald will see the competition and start to do so as well!

No way this happens.... :(

zero_suit

http://www.motherjones.com/environm...ns-dollars-new-renewable-energy-projects-2020

The USA needs to collaborate with China to curb carbon emissions - now more than ever - if we as a species are to have a standing chance at mitigating the worst potential effects of climate change. If it's true that this plan by China can create 13 million new green jobs, then the Trump administration has an opportunity to deliver on his promise of bringing jobs back to the people by similarly jump-starting a national investment into renewable energy infrastructure.

You got jokes.

sazzy

+13 million expected jobs.

If they pull this off, they will be industry leaders for a long time to come.

Renekton

China has issued unusually blunt warnings to Trump and US leaders if they abandon international efforts to combat climate change—while saying they'll act alone if necessary. "If they resist this trend, I don't think they'll win the support of their people," said China's longtime climate negotiator Xie Zhenhua before the November election. "And their country's economic and social progress will also be affected."
I think the American people care mostly about things like jobs, right?

Environment is forefront in China because of the clouded skies there.

jerry113

Banned
Environment is forefront in China because of the clouded skies there.

Yeah. You can't openly lie to Chinese citizens that environmental issues are unimportant when it's right in front of everyone's eyes.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Do you think these people use reason, when developing policy?

I'm not hopeful, but I'm wishing there are some cases when they'll reach the correct decision even if it's for not entirely ideal reasons. Inject new jobs to the American people, keep their constituents happy.

It's also in the USA's best interest to remain at the forefront of technological progress - it's good for the economy - and if they keep on selling snake oil about climate change then they risk causing a brain drain of the nation's talent to other countries like China, which are openly supporting new industries like renewable energies. I hope they can at least see the economic incentive in preventing this loss of potential revenue.

darkwing

it would be amazing if by the end of this decade, China will be nearly all green, while the US continues to depend on clean coal

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I don't think China really cares about climate change. I think they mostly just see renewables as a way to save them from their pollution nightmare.

Bluenoser

Lol, China is gonna best us in renewable energy....maybe Donald will see the competition and start to do so as well!

No way this happens.... :(

Trump will only do it if Putin does.

+13 million expected jobs.

If they pull this off, they will be industry leaders for a long time to come.

I know the countries don't compare at all in terms of population, but Sweden is already 100% fossil fuel free. I believe they are the first country to achieve this.

Its not shocking when you realise thats 500 dollar panels are mainly tax and tarrifs, they can make massive solar farms for cheap

Alienfan

I don't think China really cares about climate change. I think they mostly just see renewables as a way to save them from their pollution nightmare.

That's obviously the main driving force, but I don't know, eight out of nine of their top officials are scientists, they're not exactly unaware of climate change either. Regardless of the reason, they'll be the new super power thanks to these long term investments.

I am really happy how serious China is getting with climate change. Every American should be ashamed if the current government and how they are going to handle this. And from the look of things they will do exactly the opposite.

witness

Good, I want every country to embarrass the shit out of this horrible country the next 4 years because of what we did. Trump will certainly make it easy for them.

ISOM

Yeah, China is doing it purely for pollution reasons and it also secures an industry that will be very important going into the future.

Why shouldn't China care about climate change. Please provide some arguments which aren't based on stereotypes and racism.

Dali

I can see a "merica don't care" meme starting in China under Trump's presidency and honestly it'll probably be well earned like China's.

I can see a "merica don't care" meme starting in China under Trump's presidency and honestly it'll probably be well earned like China's.

There was a point when America, the nation which is leading in pretty much all world destroying metrics, cared about the world and climate change?

Dali

There was a point when America, the nation which is leading in pretty much all world destroying metrics, cared about the world and climate change?
Are you being willfully ignorant or have the initiatives the Obama administration have championed, and trump has promised to undo, gone under your radar?

Would this basically extremely the oil and gas industry ? China would obviously try to export some of the companies to build up renewable energy in various countries. I think a quite a few fossil fuel companies hoped that as China became more developed they would take on more energy production.

Are you being willfully ignorant or have the initiatives the Obama administration have championed, and trump has promised to undo, gone under your radar?

Sadly, hot air doesn't save the world.

In the 8 years of Obama the USA didn't fundamentally change how it is exploiting the earth.

Renekton

Well I guess usa won't be a dominant nation anymore in the future. Good job electing trump.
Just wiki metrics like R&D, patents, military spending, economy size, etc.

Even with Trump, no country can ketchup to USA in my lifetime, I fear :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom